Need Toshiba Firmware YA12 for RD-KX50 DVD Recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-17-2012, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There is little discussion of this firmware and recorder on this site. Does anyone know where I can get this? It used to be available as a download from Toshiba.

Thanks
Tom

Finally got through to Toshiba over phone after holding for about 45 minutes. Rep said there is no firmware update for the ya10. I insist there is. He goes off a couple times trying to find something. Insist some more. He goes off.... CLICK.

He got my phone number, and doesn't appear to be calling back.

So Toshiba is denying there is one.

On this site, there is a discussion of a fellow who posted on 3-31-2010 that
"...Toshiba is sending me a disc..." where we're talking about the YA12 for the RD-KX50.

I wonder if Repair Guys hoard firmware discs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

On this site, there is a discussion of a fellow who posted on 3-31-2010 that "...Toshiba is sending me a disc..." where we're talking about the YA12 for the RD-KX50.

I'd guess you've already tried sending a PM to the AVS member who posted that info? He's probably your best hope for obtaining the elusive firmware upgrade. If he doesn't respond, you're unlikely to get anywhere with Toshiba HQ: as far as staff there is concerned, no Toshiba recorder exists prior to the 2007 OEM rebranding contracts with Funai. The classic "genuine" Toshibas are effectively orphaned, along with several vintage Sonys, JVCs and Pioneers. The supposed "7 year support commitments" are routinely cut short by mfrs: if a product is older than four years, it vanishes from their archives (especially if the unit predates current subcontracting arrangements).
Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

He beat me to it!

Before it occurred to me to PM him, he PM'd me!

So I should be OK.

Still, I think this thread may be of future use to others that find themselves in the same predicament.

NOTE: It really torque's me that these manufacturers (allegedly) do not keep old documentation, firmware, service manuals, etc. when all they are are computer files which take up negligible space and overhead.

Another travesty is if you want to purchase restore discs for your PC and they are XP SP1, which is now not supported by MS, they will not sell them to you. Even though they can be updated to the supported SP3, they will not let you have them. (I just can't wait until MS quits supporting XP altogether - I wonder if they will also quit activating anyone's installation past that date?)

I hate to say this, but maybe this is something the government should look into. Maybe the FTC - they sure went after manufacturers' bogus amplifier power specs.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Problem Solved! YA12 fixed everything.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What kind of problems were you having,also will that firmware work on the xs-52?
Think both units are the same just xs-52 have larger HD.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The only problem was as originally posted, couldn't get the HDMI to work with my older DVI input TV.

As far as the model 52, I don't know. You'll have to do some searches.

I thought it was a good idea to start a thread with "firmware" and "RD-KX50" in the title since it is such an important issue. Maybe you should do the same with your model 52.

If you need a copy of the YA12, I can send you a copy.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 01-29-2012, 05:03 AM

Sure would like a copy. I did download the one for XS-52 few years ago but someone on this site or elsewhere said that toshiba download was corrupt gave him all kinds of problems after installation.Never did install it but i still have it.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

OK, as long as you're sure YA12 works on the 52.

PM your address and I will send you a copy. (Beware, I will be slow getting around to this - my home PC is fubar and I've been limping along using the PC in the small office where I work.)

Tom

PS. There should be some way to put the .iso image on-line for anyone to download - something like photobucket. Maybe someone knows where to do this and can let me know.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 PM

I will use it on the kx-50 only, thanks.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 PM

Hello...I recently found this forum and am VERY interested in getting a copy of the YA12 firmware for the RD-KX50 DVD recorder. I CANNOT get mine to work with the HDMI port and it's driving me crazy. Every time I power it on with the HDMI cable plugged in, it locks up. If I use component cables it works fine.

Will this firmware fix that? If so, let me know and I will buy a copy....

Thanx so very much!!
Old 07-05-2012, 08:51 AM

I am also looking for way to upgrade my firmware. If someone has a copy let me know.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:01 PM

I am trying to use my player with my newer samsung LED TV and now having any luck with HDMI.

Does anyone have a firmware file they can send me?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142

Does your Toshiba remote have an HDMI button? If so, did you press it?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:15 PM

When I try and do anything when I have the HDMI wire plugged in the player freezes up.
If I turn it on without the HDMI plugged in it works okay.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Some Samsung HDTV's are notorious for requiring a specific handshake (turn-on procedure).

Try leaving the HDMI cable in and turning on the Toshiba 1st, then the TV. If no joy, try the opposite. Start each from both units off, and let the first unit get up to speed before turning on the other unit.

If you get it to work while connected, press the HDMI button on the remote multiple times to go thru the HDMi formats (480p, 720p, etc.),.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:34 PM

No luck. As soon as I turn on the TV the player then stops responding.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Did you turn TV on 1st, then Toshiba?

And when you say it doesn't respond, does that include the HDMI button on the Tosh remote?

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 AM

I tried HDMI with a few other tvs in the house. No go. The thing just doesn't like to work with HDMI.
I eventually gave up and hooked it up to a TV with component. I was trying to get it going so I could transfer an old VHS out to DVD, of course after I did that I found the same recording was already on youtube. LOL
Old 07-20-2012, 09:17 PM

Is there anyway you could send me the firmware or place it somewhere all can download?
Old 09-26-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I finally found my copy of YA12 - it was at work under a very old pile of paperwork on my desk.

I'm going to try and find a place where I could put it on-line for anyone to download.

If anyone knows where I should do this, please let me know.

Thanks
Tom
Old 09-26-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

You should be able to Attach it in a Reply here, using the paperclip icon in the edit window.

If you have a .zip file, or can ZIP it before uploading, that's best to avoid a LONG upload time and possible timeout.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm trying to create an .ISO image but I can't get any of my drives to recognize the disk. I'm using ISOrecorder to rip the .ISO and it won't do anything because the disc is not recognized.

Any ideas?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:17 PM

Hi, Found this forum after googling the hdmi problem with my toshiba RD-KX50 hdd/dvd recorder. It works great with component cables but freezes up when I try to use an hdmi cable. I would like to get a copy of the YA12 firmware if you are making copys and sending them out(I can pay you) or did you find a place to put it on line for download. THANKS
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, I tried to attach it and ISO is NOT ALLOWED on this site.

Kind of ironic, huh?

Tom
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6volt View Post

Kind of ironic, huh?

Why not try the original (raw) filename, whatever that is? I've successfully linked to other FW files with .mot and .dtv extensions, and there are prob. others that will attach OK, esp. if they are "text/code" files.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Quote:

Kind of ironic, huh?

Why not try the original (raw) filename, whatever that is? I've successfully linked to other FW files with .mot and .dtv extensions, and there are prob. others that will attach OK, esp. if they are "text/code" files.

Will someone please Quote this post so 6volt will be sure to see it in case he has me on his Block list!? biggrin.gif

Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't know what you mean by the original file name.

The disk is unrecognizable by Windows - in fact, 2 perfectly good drives would not even "mount" the disk. Lucky, the 3rd drive I tried, did. (This is probably because they use some kind of weirdo file system on the disk.)

So the only thing I know of is to rip an ISO.

But noooo, the first ISO ripping software I tried would not work because the disk was unrecognizable by Windows.

So finally, I got one that did and extracted the ISO.

Right now I'm looking in Google Drive or one of the many free online backup file services out there. Issues with them are making binary, encrypted, or data files available to the public.

This Nanny State stuff is really ticking me off and I've about had it with Toshiba too - didn't they throw HD-dvd under the bus for $400,000,000 from Sony???

If anyone has some bright ideas, I'm all ears.

Regards,
Tom

PS. If it comes to it, I will send via US mail for free, but I'm really determined to get it hosted so anyone who searches for it will find it. Frankly, I'm surprised there's basically a black hole when you do a search for this firmware.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I don't know what you mean by the original file name.

The disk is unrecognizable by Windows - in fact, 2 perfectly good drives would not even "mount" the disk. Lucky, the 3rd drive I tried, did. (This is probably because they use some kind of weirdo file system on the disk.)

So the only thing I know of is to rip an ISO.

But noooo, the first ISO ripping software I tried would not work because the disk was unrecognizable by Windows.

So finally, I got one that did and extracted the ISO.

Right now I'm looking in Google Drive or one of the many free online backup file services out there. Issues with them are making binary, encrypted, or data files available to the public.

This Nanny State stuff is really ticking me off and I've about had it with Toshiba too - didn't they throw HD-dvd under the bus for $400,000,000 from Sony???

If anyone has some bright ideas, I'm all ears.

As I've said before, take that FW file (which has to reside somewhere in your disk's file system), whatever it's type and filename, and try to attach it. If it takes too long or times out (due to file size), ZIP it. The Attach menu/system can also refuse certain file types.

If so, and if using a PC with WIN, you can open File > Send to > Compressed (zipped) Folder. Mac might also have a similar "file-zipping" (size-reduction) system.

Then, Attach the ZIP file in your post with the paperclip icon.

You don't HAVE to ZIP if the file isn't too large, but it might take a while to uplaod and I'm afraid it'll time out and you'll think it won't work.

I successfully zipped a 12.5MB .mot FW file to 3,5MB and it Attached pretty fast compared to my 1st try with the 12.5MB unzipped file.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

When you bring up the disk in Explorer (File Manager), the disk appears empty - there are no Files nor Directories displayed. There is nothing to click on.

However, you make a point. Zipping a file is a common practice. Since the ISO is 14mb, I'll try zipping it and attaching it. I can't remember if ZIP is allowed, but we'll see.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

So the file is on a separate disc, and inserting it doesn't show anything to copy to your HDD for zipping, uploading, etc.?

I wonder if the Sonic "RecordNow" app typically pkgd with WIN can "see" the file. If so, you could use RecordNow to create an "Esact Copy" first, which places a temp. file in queue for then creating a "Data Disc." It'll give step-by-step instructions... pretty easy.

Tags
Toshiba