Dear Walmart: We Need a HDD/BRD/DVD Recorder in North America! - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 140 Old 05-04-2012, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrin1933 View Post

I wonder if this is real, or some fly-by-nighter!

http://chucksaudiovideo.com/product/...DR513H/F7.html

Their checkout process does not work for me. I tried two different browsers and still no go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 140 Old 05-25-2012, 10:16 PM

Liked: 10
I was devastated to learn that these have been discontinued. The Magnavox units are simply fabulous and I'm totally dependent on mine. I hope Funai will reconsider.
post #123 of 140 Old 06-12-2012, 03:22 PM

Count me in .... I have a Panasonic DMR EH75 HDD DVR/VCR/DVD. It has the "free" TV Guide Online, but that stopped working over a year ago. It's about 5 plus years old (I got it soon after it came out, whenever that was) and it's starting to act up a little. Like, I couldn't eject the DVD after watching it the other night, so I had to completely reset the unit to factory-shipped to get the eject to work.

So, starting to look around a little for 'what else' and it seems like it's a PC-based solution (not really interested) or very limited otherwise. I can't for the life of me see paying something like $180 a year to rent it from the cable company.
post #124 of 140 Old 07-06-2012, 05:58 PM

I went to the magnavox.com website and they show a 500GB HDD&DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner. When I clicked the "where to buy" button, it says coming soon. I'd presume they'll wind up at Walmart. In the meantime B&H has two Panasonics with hdd. A 250 gb and 320 gb models. They are designed for Europe but they told me they work in the U.S. except for the tuner that only works in Europe, but you can use video plugs from your satellite or cable box to the recorder and it's supposed to work. Unlike the Magnavox with digital tuner you can't use the antenna to record on the Panasonics.
post #125 of 140 Old 07-06-2012, 10:55 PM

Liked: 11
Yes, it would be GREAT, however, is it going to be the same?
OR are we FINALLY going to get a better EDITTING version with
MOVING MOTION CHAPTER MARKS LIKE THE TOSHIBA`S?
OR A USB INPUT THAT BE USED WITH A USB KEYBOARD?
AND HDMI INPUTS THAT CAN RECORD A MOVIE THAT HAS MACROVISION
IN /ON IT AND STILL RECORD IT?

SORRY, I MUST BE DREAMING!
post #126 of 140 Old 07-07-2012, 05:23 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisSwanson72 View Post

Yes, it would be GREAT, however, is it going to be the same?
OR are we FINALLY going to get a better EDITTING version with
MOVING MOTION CHAPTER MARKS LIKE THE TOSHIBA`S?
OR A USB INPUT THAT BE USED WITH A USB KEYBOARD?
AND HDMI INPUTS THAT CAN RECORD A MOVIE THAT HAS MACROVISION
IN /ON IT AND STILL RECORD IT?

SORRY, I MUST BE DREAMING!

is it going to be the same? = Probably.

FINALLY going to get a better EDITTING version with MOVING MOTION CHAPTER MARKS? = Maybe.

A USB INPUT THAT BE USED WITH A USB KEYBOARD? = Probably not.

HDMI INPUTS? = You know the answer already, but I like your tenacity.

The new models to be released later this year look physically the same as previous renditions according to the teaser PDF leaks of the 533 & 535.
The 537 is still a "pig in a poke", and we can only speculate and hope it has some advanced features. According to a insider, these units will have different hardware, so the firmwares will not be compatible with prior models. It looks as though a 1TB HDD is added to the mix if that makes anybody tingly inside.
post #127 of 140 Old 07-07-2012, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstoney View Post

In the meantime B&H has two Panasonics with hdd. A 250 gb and 320 gb models. They are designed for Europe but they told me they work in the U.S. except for the tuner that only works in Europe, but you can use video plugs from your satellite or cable box to the recorder and it's supposed to work. Unlike the Magnavox with digital tuner you can't use the antenna to record on the Panasonics.

I would be a bit wary of this claim -- European SDTV is 576i at 25 fps, whereas we're at 480i and 30 fps. Most European gear can play the US standard, but being able to record in that standard is another matter. I think it would be wise to check the manufacturer's specs before trusting what B&H is telling you.
sChen77 likes this.
post #128 of 140 Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I went to the magnavox.com website and they show a 500GB HDD&DVD Recorder with Digital Tuner. When I clicked the "where to buy" button, it says coming soon. I'd presume they'll wind up at Walmart. In the meantime B&H has two Panasonics with hdd. A 250 gb and 320 gb models. They are designed for Europe but they told me they work in the U.S. except for the tuner that only works in Europe, but you can use video plugs from your satellite or cable box to the recorder and it's supposed to work. Unlike the Magnavox with digital tuner you can't use the antenna to record on the Panasonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

I would be a bit wary of this claim -- European SDTV is 576i at 25 fps, whereas we're at 480i and 30 fps. Most European gear can play the US standard, but being able to record in that standard is another matter. I think it would be wise to check the manufacturer's specs before trusting what B&H is telling you.

I believe the recorders that tstoney is referring to are the still current Panasonic DMR-EH59 and DMR-EH69 models which have 250 GB and 320 GB HDD's, respectively.

These are international models with analogue PAL tuners, and so may not work in Europe or even parts of Asia that is moving towards DVB-T or DVB-T2 free-to-air broadcast standards. (eg. Singapore has just announced the shift towards DVB-T2 from December 2013 onwards, but analogue will still be run in parallel until 2020. (ref. Channel NewsAsia -- Free-to-air TV channels to go digital from end-2013))

However, even though the tuner portion may not continue to work forever, the recorder is still useful for recording in PAL / NTSC formats over a direct AV-in connection.

You can see the reference to NTSC recording in Panasonic's own manual. (ref. see pages 11, 23, and 60, https://support.panasonic.co.nz/docstore/dmr-eh59_dmr-eh69%20operating%20instruction.pdf

More importantly, you can see jjeff's experience with using the recorder for NTSC footage on this thread. (ref. see post 24, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1359243/vhs-to-dvd-transfer-advice#post_21024686)

If you are interested in where the next generation of Panasonic's DVD recorders are going, the ones already available in London and Hong Kong use dig)tal tuners (ie. DVB-T and/or DVB-T2), have around 500 GB of HDD space, record in both MPEG-2 and H.264 formats, and can record HD channels too. Based on the manual, it also allows for editing of recorded videos and playing back of 3D Blu-ray discs. AV-in recording appears to be available through SCART connectors. They also have fancy wireless networking features %r8similar to Panasonic's latest TV's.

Problem ... the ones in Hong Kong cost around twice as much as the MPEG-2 SD-only DMR-EH59 / EH69 models. So if you're looking for a SD recorder, it might not make sense to pay for high-end features which you may not use.

And they do not have analogue tuners. (This is important to me since Singapore only has 3 digital free-to-air channels, of which only one is available in HD. The other two are duplicates of parallel analogue broadcasts. And in a city where over-the-air TV reception can be affected or blocked by lots of high-rise buildings, it is generally far easier and more stable to record over AV-in than over-the-air.)

More info can be found here:

* Trusted Review's take on the DMR-BWT800 -- http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-dmr-bwt800_TV-recorder---set-top-box_review

* Panasonic's Manual for the DMR-BWT800 -- http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/docs/2z4ff90d09z3z30c11z656ez706466z25z53e34393619023e814a0de50926b67c89e582377/tsn2/data/ALL/DMRBWT800EB/OI/854941/vqt3c13.pdf

Cheers,
Stephen
Singapore
post #129 of 140 Old 07-07-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

...B&H has two Panasonics with hdd. A 250 gb and 320 gb models. They are designed for Europe but they told me they work in the U.S. except for the tuner that only works in Europe, but you can use video plugs from your satellite or cable box to the recorder and it's supposed to work. Unlike the Magnavox with digital tuner you can't use the antenna to record on the Panasonics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

Absolutely NOTHING to be worried about. I have more than one of these units, along with jjeff, and a few other, and we all are using them with no issues at all. Aside from the lack of a tuner, and a slight black level issue, they work just fine here. If you are a fan of Panasonic DVD recorders, I (and other here) recommend them.
tstoney likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #130 of 140 Old 07-08-2012, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrin1933 View Post

I wonder if this is real, or some fly-by-nighter!

http://chucksaudiovideo.com/product/...DR513H/F7.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Their checkout process does not work for me. I tried two different browsers and still no go.

It appears to be a stale link. What was the original source? I guess we can, 'er, chuck it!
post #131 of 140 Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that you've had a positive experience with the European Panasonic's. The recorder I ordered from B&H is "Panasonic PADMREH59 DMR-EH59GA-K Multi-Zone 250GB HDD/DVD". Other than having to use the a/v plugs instead of the digital tuner, are there any special settings I need to use when setting it up?
post #132 of 140 Old 07-08-2012, 06:15 PM

I sent two e-mails to Chucks Audio & Video from their website to confirm the MAGNAVOX MDR513H/F7 HDD and DVD is brand new and not refurbished but I haven't received a response.
post #133 of 140 Old 07-08-2012, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
post #134 of 140 Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The link works for me... got all the way to checkout w/ signup. A 513 for $180.67, not bad!?

The link works fine but appears to be disconnected from current info. What's the source for it? Did you get the necessary confirmation email establishing an account, which is required before ordering?

The MDR513H doesn't appear to be here. There are 85 such pages of products. I didn't go through them all.
post #135 of 140 Old 07-09-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Thanks for the info. It's good to hear that you've had a positive experience with the European Panasonic's. The recorder I ordered from B&H is "Panasonic PADMREH59 DMR-EH59GA-K Multi-Zone 250GB HDD/DVD". Other than having to use the a/v plugs instead of the digital tuner, are there any special settings I need to use when setting it up?
Well, make sure it is in NTSC mode.rolleyes.gif

Just be aware that the clock uses 24 hour mode, not 12 hour AM/PM (no way to change it) and the date is european style dd-mm-yr. Just make sure “Rec for High Speed Copy” is set to ON for high speed transfer, and depending on your preference, in setup, you need to set "Aspect for Recording" to the setting you desire. 4:3 does not set the widescreen flag, the 16:9 setting always sets the widescreen flag, and the AUTOMATIC setting looks for the flag in the input and sets it appropriately. Many sources output 16:9 material, but don't set the flag in the video stream, so you will need to adjust that manually, if you wish. I don't bother as all I have are 16:9 televisions, so the flag is not important to me.
tstoney likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #136 of 140 Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
On Chuck's Audio & Video:

I sent a Contact email and asked if they were "real," which should ruffle their feathers enough to respond, but they haven't yet.

I ALSO signed up for an account TWICE, even deciphering their "anti-robot" words to assure I was human, after which their site put up this message:

"Thank you for registering!

To complete your registration, an email was sent to you with an activation link.
Please click the link within it to setup your account and complete your purchase."

I have yet to receive an email to "activate" an account and complete my "purchase." This faulty sign-up process shold help prevent people from actually trying to buy something from Chuck's!? biggrin.gif

I think Chuck's *might* not be a place to do business with? I'm going to delete my posts and any links I can.
post #137 of 140 Old 07-10-2012, 06:47 PM

Thanks Church av guy! Important stuff to know. I'm taking notes.
post #138 of 140 Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM

I'd be happy with the current features of the 513/515; better than no units at all. I hope something returns later this year.
post #139 of 140 Old 08-21-2012, 06:23 PM

Liked: 12
While my Panny E85 is still a workhorse after nearly 10 years (with an external tuner, of course, and after several rounds of capacitor replacements plus a more recent disc drive replacement through the outstanding services of mickinct), I'd certainly like to get a new DVR with comparable features, and I was seriously considering one of the Magnavox models when they suddenly disappeared from Walmart's inventory everywhere and the aftermarket prices doubled practically overnight. So I'll certainly add my 'sig' to the list -- what say, you folks in the Arkansas HQ?
post #140 of 140 Old 08-30-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhvance View Post

While my Panny E85 is still a workhorse after nearly 10 years (with an external tuner, of course, and after several rounds of capacitor replacements plus a more recent disc drive replacement through the outstanding services of mickinct), I'd certainly like to get a new DVR with comparable features, and I was seriously considering one of the Magnavox models when they suddenly disappeared from Walmart's inventory everywhere and the aftermarket prices doubled practically overnight. So I'll certainly add my 'sig' to the list -- what say, you folks in the Arkansas HQ?

The Magnavox models aren't dead yet.

There are three new models being released.

Might want to check the main thread that discusses them.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page