Pan DMR-ES30V Is Dead, but PCB has burn marks. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All.
New to this forum, but wondering if i can save my grandads old Panasonic DVD/Video machine. He has complained of it doing random things like turning on and off randomly, for a week or so, before going into its current state of being totally dead.

I read with interest online that this is a common problem with Pana's and having read the blown capacitor stories, opened up grandads machine to find 3 areas of "darkened" PCB, all in the region of Capacitors! But i am not an electrical guy, i potter with cars and motorbikes mechanical bits...but a PCB scares the **** out of me to be brutally honest.

So you experts out there, if i attach pictures, could you advise me (a) is it worth saving, (b) what parts do i need to replace and could i get them from RS Components, (c) is the machine likely to work properly and long enough to get further use out of it?

Grandad has bought a new machine now, so if i can fix this one he has said i could keep it, so it is in my own interest to try and get it fixed :-)

Many thanks all. Marty/djdrivek
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

i have other pix but theyre too big for the upload. i can mail them if you need them.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
That pic you posted is so out-of-focus, it is near impossible to determine what might be wrong.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #4 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Hi mate i did say i have other pix but they wont upload due to their size. can i send them to you via email if you PM your address? cheers, marty.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-24-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Have you checked out this thread yet? It has lots of good photos showing what to look for. I'd say your problem really sounds like faulty capacitors in the power supply section. To do the repair you'll need a pencil type soldering iron(fairly small, ~30 watts) and solder.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-25-2012, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Hi gang, thanks for that jjeff, i had stumbled across that but admit i got confused and nervous after about 4 lines of reading :-( I've tried to get the burned capacitors out of my machine but cant see the leg connections that theyre connected by as they are right down hard against the top surface of the PCB. how do i get the old ones off ? Then at least i could take them to RS Components to get replacements.
My main query is what other parts arel ikely to have been damaged that i cant visually see are busted? Is it all gonna be a waste of time fixing 3 capacitors when other bits have been destroyed also?
cheers,
elec novice marty.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-25-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Marty,

It isn't as daunting as you might think. You *DO* need to partially disassemble the recorder, just enough to remove the power supply board to get to the underside of it to unsolder the connections to the bad capacitors. As I said, this is easier than it looks or sounds. I have done it.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #8 of 10 Old 01-25-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
A solder sucker may also be handy. With such a device(manual spring loaded) you can heat up the solder and then suck it off the board. Once all the solder is gone then you can work on the glue that might be holding down the capacitor.
If you really feel uncomfortable with this type of work you might want to check around for a small electronic repair shop. If you supply the parts and just request those to be replaced(no trouble shooting) the cost might be that bad. You don't want to damage the board/traces or you've got even more problems to contend with.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-25-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Good point. Considering the value of the machine an extra $15 for one of these seems like a good investment. This is what I used when I replaced the capacitors in my recorder. Radio Shack sells passable replacement capacitors as well, though I bought really good ones from DigiKey instead.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #10 of 10 Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all. many thanks for your replys to my post, but i cant summon the confidence, or time come to that, to turn myself into an instant PCB repairer. if any of you guys are in the uk and could use the machine for spare parts i think i might go down that channel to be honest.
its starting to gather dust and get in my way on my garage bench :-(

thoughts?

marty.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page