JVC VCR problem/service tips. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Forgive me if this is the wrong section but i could not find anywhere else to put it.

I have got a JVC VCR model HR-J695EA (Australian model) made in Indonesia (I have no idea how good/bad this model was) which I bought in 2002 and it was a current model then. The significant features are 6 head HI-FI stereo and PAL/NTSC/MESCAM compatible. I do regret not getting a more up market model now but it was not the cheapest one around back then either. My main priority was just to be able to play tapes and record TV then and DVD’s had not entered my life yet then. I can honestly say I have been quite happy with it and its performed pretty well with very few problems and is still going today.

The only problems I have had with it is that its lunched up a couple tapes probably 4 or 5 years ago but has been fine since but I think that was the tapes problem and not the VCR and a couple times its had issues with dirty heads as i would get a message appear on screen.

The most major problem it has had for several years now is that it will not eject tapes properly. When ejecting, the tapes come out but do not stop, they shoot right back in. The only way I can get the tapes out is if I am ready and waiting to catch and hold it out with a swiss army knife blade. Occasionally a tape has been stuck and the unit powers itself off too. So really the main issue is the ejecting of tapes. I opened the unit last weekend for a look and to blow a little dust out and watch what was happening when the tape ejects. It all happens so fast though and I cant see what is not engaging or stopping the tape when it ejects. I could not seem to see anything broken, but to be honest I would not have a clue what or where to look. There are some areas that I can see could do with re-greasing. What grease should I use for that? And I am sure there are some things that need a little oiling as its very noisy on rewinds. I was surprised to see things like plastic cogs etc still looked in good condition seeing that I have really used this VCR quite a lot, it has not been babied thats for sure. I would really like to give it a birthday and get the eject mechanism working properly again. I have looked around on the net and some parts are still available if I need any. I tried emailing JVC Australia with no luck as I wanted to send it to them but I may have to look at it myself with some guidence.

I think it could benefit from the heads being cleaned. I don’t even really know what are the heads. Is it that big round drum? One thing I did notice is that when I load a tape, it straight away wraps the tape around that drum and the drum spins away and just idles there constantly rubbing on the tape before i have even pressed play. I have left tapes in there for days and days, so I assume this cant be good having that thing spinning away on the tape for such a long time?. I am not sure if this is normal or not but I wont be leaving tapes inserted in the VCR long periods now. I am just not sure about cleaning the heads and if I should use a cleaning tape or manually clean it with a soloution. On my old audio cassette decks I used to use a cotton bud soaked in methylated spirits to clean the heads in that and I also had a tape deck cleaner and demagnetiser that you put a drop of fluid on and then insert the cleaning tape. My JVC manual says only to use a dry type cleaning tape but I have heard they are not good to use.

I think I will post a photo of the inside of the JVC so you can give me a better idea of what needs cleaning and lubricating and what could be causing the ejecting problem.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I can honestly say I have been quite happy with it and its performed pretty well with very few problems and is still going today.

First of all congratulations on getting so many years of heavy use (2002 - 2012) on your JVC VCR.

I have a HR-S3911U and a HR-S5912U from the same era and my 3911 has seen a million miles and both my units are still going strong. I did experience a similar problem with my HR-S3911U but instead of the eject function my problem was with a sticking guide-pin. I did a have similar ejection problem with one of my 1985 Super Beta Hi Fi machines. Really it sounds like the exact problem as you describe. What I did was I opened up the unit and watched carefully - it was just a sticking moving part. My JVC guide-pin problem was just sticking as well - after a gentle push into place the guide pin has not stuck since. I don't suggest using any grease unless you really have to. I suggest you open the unit - if you have a video camera video tape the ejecting and play back in slow mo to see if you can catch the problem. Sounds like a sticking moving part which can be common on any VCR.

Quote:

..couple times its had issues with dirty heads as i would get a message appear on screen.

I'm very surprised that in the past you had dirty heads messages pop up on screen as I have never seen that message on my JVC machines and I do use them a lot and very rarely clean the heads. Proper tape storage is very important. Trying not to use the same tape over and over again also helps keeping the tape path reasonably clean.

Quote:

I think it could benefit from the heads being cleaned. I don't even really know what are the heads. Is it that big round drum? One thing I did notice is that when I load a tape, it straight away wraps the tape around that drum and the drum spins away and just idles there constantly rubbing on the tape before i have even pressed play. I have left tapes in there for days and days, so I assume this cant be good having that thing spinning away on the tape for such a long time?. I am not sure if this is normal or not but I wont be leaving tapes inserted in the VCR long periods now.

The heads are tiny little things inside the big round drum. I will show you if you post a picture of your unit with the cover off.

The tape staying wrapped around the drum with the drum spinning is normal but the drum should stop spinning five minutes after you load the tape as long as you don't touch play, rec ,ff or rewind. This is called a long pause (the tention is a little eased and is not rubbing hard as a normal pause would) and the long pause is there so the unit will immediately start playing or recording if you push play or rec within 5 minutes of loading the tape. If the drum does not stop after 5 minutes of sitting idle then your VCR has a malfunction and you should not leave tapes in the machine idling.

I am concerned about your heads clogging up - that is not normal unless you don't take proper care of your tapes - is there very high humidity in your area? That could cause problems.

Sorry I posted this in a hurry but will go into more detail later if need be.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

I will take some photos tomorrow and the camera idea is a good one. I only have a little stills camera but it also takes short videos. I am not sure of what the guide pin is so you will have to show me. I do remember once or twice when some tapes got hooked up, the tape good caught/hooked on a pin or 2 inside the unit. I just hope i did not damage anything when getting it out. There are lots of areas with blue grease that looks as if its come off so thats why i though some of these areas made need a re-grease.

From time to time i have had the dirty heads message come up. Not for years though. I actually noticed the other day it has a little foam roller which i assume is an auto head cleaner?

I did not watch to see if the drum stops spinning but i will check that tomorrow and wait for 5 minutes.

I would not say i am in a high humidy area. I am right down the the south of Australia and not up north where there is a lot of humidy all year round.

I will post back here tomorrow with some photos. Thanks for your post.
post #4 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've had some tape handling problems with Panasonic VHS mechanisms. Most of these problems have been related to alignment of the various parts.

With one pre-owned Panasonic the case was slightly bowed (perhaps someone had stepped on the recorder) so I gently "realigned" the case by pressing down on the ends while the middle of the recorder was held against the edge of a porch railing. There were no more tape handling problems after that.

(And yes, I realize that's a Mercedes, not a "Porch.")
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In this post and the two posts following it are descriptions and photos of a Panasonic DVD/VHS combo recorder that needed some attention to the VHS mechanism. Perhaps the photos will be interesting.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post18836371

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

I just noticed that Cyclone82 is a new AVS member so I better put down my full disclosure. I’m not a real VCR repairman. For work I work in video production and only diagnose and repair the small stuff, anything beyond my capabilities goes to the real repair techs. At home I’m just a hobbyist and diagnose and repair the small stuff, anything beyond my capabilities goes to the reclining bin. As many of the regulars at this forum, I’ve been tinkering with VCRs for decades. Disclaimer over.

Quote:

There are lots of areas with blue grease that looks as if its come off so thats why i though some of these areas made need a re-grease.

The only reason I said “I don’t suggest using any grease unless you really have to” is because I’ve been told 1) You need to use the proper lubes and never mix different kinds (old with new) 2) Make sure the spot is clean of any dust or debris before applying fresh lube 3) Make sure you don’t get any on parts that need to stay dry. So use your own discretion.

My North American JVC VCRs thankfully don’t have the auto head cleaner thingy. It is a good idea to manually clean the heads and tape path once in a while but you have to be very careful. Someone here explained in great detail and good grammar the procedure of manually cleaning the tape path. Do a search but most times a head cleaning tape is sufficient enough for the video heads on the drum (due to tension) but the CT and linear audio heads should be cleaned manually as they don’t have as much tension on them and they are less fragile then the video and hi fi heads on the drum. – To clean the stationary CT and audio/erase heads you could use a glass cleaner cloth with head cleaning solvent for those. The pinch roller should be cleaned without any solvent. As to using a wet or dry cleaning tape – the JVCs tend to auto shut off when using a wet cleaning tape (the decks think that moisture got in the path) but you should be able to turn them back on within minutes.

As to your EJECT problem I still believe the cause is a sticking moving part. Perhaps as DigaDo suggested, something is obstructing the part from engaging all the way due to a part that is slightly bent. Or maybe the tape tray on its way out starts rubbing against something and goes back in. Maybe the solenoid is getting weak? What does it sound like when ejecting? Healthy? Forceful?

This is one of those things hard for me to fully diagnose and explain when we’re sitting thousands of miles across the world from each other. Maybe with motion pictures we can figure it out. Have you stacked other A/V gear on top of the JVC? That could cause a moving part to slightly bend or stick and prevent the tape from fully ejecting. First thing I would do is open up the top cover, watch the moving parts and perhaps try to give it a little nudge with the cover off.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

My North American JVC VCRs thankfully don’t have the auto head cleaner thingy. It is a good idea to manually clean the heads and tape path once in a while but you have to be very careful...

Disclaimer I haven't owned a JVC VCR since the very early 80s so you may indeed know more about them than I do but I thought all newer(90s) VCRs had the head cleaning "thingy". AFAIR it's only activated when first playing a tape for a second. It's about the size of a dime and looks to be made of felt. I know most VCR I had past the 90s(Mitsubishi, Panasonics and Samsungs) had such a cleaning device, probably not the professional VCRs though.
Personally I liked to clean my VCRs rotating video heads with a flat chamois swab soaked in head cleaning solution. I would hold the swab against the head lifting the leading edge so it wouldn't catch on the delicate heads and slowly manually turn the head. As for the rest of the tape path, including the linear audio heads, I'd use a foam swab soaked in the same cleaning solution. I'd also use this swab to clean the pinch roller and capstan but it sounds like you don't like to do this.
Truthfully I haven't done this type of cleaning since moving on to DVDs and lately when I've needed to clean my VCRs heads I just use a wet cleaning tape. I too have read it causes premature head wear to use them dry and I've never had a VCR shut down because of the moisture, although now that you mention it I wonder why since I thought all VCRs had such a "dew" sensor. At least years ago they use to advertise such a function
post #8 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

jjeff, at work the only way, I repeat the only way we clean flying (drum) heads is using swabs. You are doing it the proper way. I just don’t like recommending it to hobbyists because the heads are very easy to break off. As for stationary heads, I don’t like using swabs, cue-tips work good but the fibers can come off and get in the way of moving parts, that’s why I prefer glass cleaner cloth for stationary heads. I’ve been told never to use solvent for the pinch roller and capstan because it can eat away the rubber/plastic and cause slippage.

I will have to check again but I had my cover off many times and didn’t see the auto head cleaner thingy. I know my mid nineties Sony and Mitsubishi both had it but I can’t recall ever seeing it with my JVC. I could be wrong though.

My JVC 3911 is very “dew sensitive” and every time would shut off with a wet cleaner tape. Every friend’s JVC would also shut off due to dew warning. Haven’t tried one in my 5912 yet. Not needed.
LL
post #9 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Have you stacked other A/V gear on top of the JVC?

Embarassingly yes i have I have recently stopped that and altered my shelving. Anyway, off to open it up again and take some photos.

Thanks
post #10 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

jjeff, I don't like using swabs, cue-tips work good but the fibers can come off and get in the way of moving parts, that's why I prefer glass cleaner cloth for stationary heads. I've been told never to use solvent for the pinch roller and capstan because it can eat away the rubber/plastic and cause slippage.

I agree if we're talking about Q-tip type of swabs(I'd worry about lint) but I'm talking about the fiber-less foam swabs that some people used for video heads but I didn't like for video heads because they had a tendency to catch on the delicate heads. Every time this happened my heart would skip a beat, I finally decided to only use the chamois wands for the video heads and the foam ones for the rest of the tape path
post #11 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

I have taken plenty of photos. If i have not shown a particular area or you would like a more close up photo, let me know as these have been re-sized smaller a bit

So where are the 6 HI-FI heads and the guide pin?
post #12 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

I'm only familiar with the chamois type swab. For flying drum heads those are great as long as you do it the right way and do it very carefully as you seem to do. They are not so good for stationary heads and I'm not familiar with foam swabs. Someone (work related) suggested using Q-tips for the stationary heads but I talked them into using glass-cleaning cloth for that. Your suggestion of using foam type swabs for stationary heads sounds good and I'll pass that along. Thanks.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

That black mark doesn't seem like a problem and you can try cleaning it off. It's probably just tape residue.

I marked one of your flying heads - be careful not tot touch those things when cleaning the black mark off the drum. And don't put pressure on the drum, needs to stay balanced.
LL
post #14 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Ok so those little things are the heads.

Well first bit of good news, the drum stops spinning at right on 5 minutes. So i have nothing to worry about there. Just need to work out the ejecting issue. I am just not sure what could be bent?

With that black mark on the drum, is that on a chrome surface or polished aluminium surface? If its on chrome, i wonder if its a bit of chrome peeled off and its the bare steel underneath?
post #15 of 20 Old 01-25-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Well i have had another look at it and i just cant really work out why the eject mechanism is not working. Someone with more knowledge then me would know what it is with in 30 seconds of looking at it probably but i just have no idea what i am looking at and am not confident fidling with anything. I am going to try ring JVC Australia tomorrow and see what they say but i think they have been out of VCR stuff for years know. Its probably not a good idea to try and ship it to one of you guys to look at as i dont think it would like the rough shipping trip.

To me it looks like it could be to do with those white plastic parts you can see with the blue grease in the second photo from the top. It possibly looks like something not engaging there but i really dont know. When i hold the tape out the bit that i thought would be engaging is not so have no idea. I am sure its a really simple thing, just something needing oiling or something.
post #16 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So where are the 6 HI-FI heads and the guide pin?

I illustrated a typical 4-head + hi Fi head lay out, with 2 DA heads dedicated to SP and two DA heads dedicated to EP, something like my 3911 has. More advanced VCRs like my 5912 also have a flying erase head in the mix.

Your 6-head + hi fi VCR does primary PAL and secondary NTSC so it has another pair of heads, My guess is that two of your heads share a similar PAL/NTSC speed and are used for both. I will post the stationary heads and guide pins next.
LL
post #17 of 20 Old 01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Those are the two main guide pins, there are more. The one on the right is the one that was sticking on my 3911. It did not affect my eject function - it affected my Hi Fi audio, it was crackling, at first I thought one of the HF heads had gunk on it but when I opened the cover I could clearly see that the guide pin was not engaging all the way thus the tape wasn't properly wrapping around the drum, maybe one or two microns off, enough to affect the Hi Fi tracks.

If you look at your pictures you will see more guide pins. If you let a tape load/unload you will see how they work. Guide pins may or may not affect the proper ejecting of tape but usually your tape will not track right if the guide pins aren't engaging properly however your eject problem most likely IS a sticking moving part.

I will post the stationary heads next time.
LL
post #18 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, Sometimes i have had tracking issues but i can correct it with my remote control. I have not phoned JVC yet. Not easy to find their phone number but i will try tomorrow if if i remember. I will check out those guide pins too. I assume they are ment to slide? Hopefully i will work that out when i look at them. Thanks for those pics too. They are handy.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Advanced Member

I got good news for you - I found the grease and oil part numbers for my
North American 2002 JVC SVHS.

I'm enclosing a diagram of what to lubricate and what to grease.
You have to join pic1 top with pic2 bottom.

Grease Part Number KYODO-SH-JB Grease areas marked AA
Oil Part Number COSMO-HV56 Oil areas marked BB

Hopefully your Aussie model is the same.
Use my info at your own risk.
LL
LL
post #20 of 20 Old 01-30-2012, 05:42 AM
Advanced Member

Since most of your tapes track with auto tracking and your problem tapes track OK when manually adjusting with the remote control manual tracking buttons then it sounds like your VCR is in good alignment.

Yes the guides are meant to slide. There are other guides. Load/unload a tape. Playback tape and you will see them.

This picture includes the stationary heads. On the left is the stationary erase head. On the right is the control-track / audio head known as the A/C head.
LL
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page