Dividing recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic DMR-EZ 485V

When copying a VHS tape to DVD with recording mode SP, the DVD/VHS Combo continually does Dividing Recording and about half way through the recording process the recording stops and I get a 'too many recordings' message. There is still about 57 minutes of unrecorded video left, and the chapter/frames shows 43.
Any suggestions?

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
It's interpreting REC stop points (scene changes) as titles, i.e., wherever you pressed STOP then restarted recording on the original tape.
post #3 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.
What should I do to get rid of this problem?

Ray
post #4 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

This is an old problem and I vaguely remember one person who was able toedit his tapes in a VCR that had time code editing in it... I think he was able to "repair" the scene joints (delete time code markers) so the time code was continuous, or something like that.

I think your only option now, with the video on a disc, is to copy all the separate titles to the HDD of a Panny that has a JOIN or COMBINE function in its edit menu. Then you could get all the sections back together? A PITA.

*With certain cameras*, you can "stripe" your blank tapes with black screen (lens cap on) to establish a continuous time code, then your start-stop points have continuity when you use those tapes to shoot.

Maybe someone else has some recent experience and/or other options?
post #5 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have another VCR/DVD Combo (Magnavox) and will see if the same problem happens with it.

Thank you for your inout.

Ray
post #6 of 15 Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
How long is the tape you're dubbing to disc?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

The recorded material I am trying to copy to a DVD disc is on an SVHS T120 tape, and the video is just under 2 hrs. in SP mode.

Ray
post #8 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Unfortunately, the obvious answer is to play the tape on a different VCR, connect it to the EZ using video cables and record that signal. Yes, it's not what you want to hear, BUT, many of us here that thought the combo machines with VHS playback and DVD recorder with the buil-in copy function would be a great tool, were very disappointed. I bought one of these, and very quickly reverted back to separate machines for my dubbing project, for the same problem you are haveing, as well as many other problems associated with single machine copying. My project consisted of 1500 or so tapes, so the irritation of the single device problems was just not workable.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Unfortunately, the tapes I want to copy are SVHS tapes which will not play on my other DVD/VCR Combo (Magnavox).
Suggestions?

Ray
post #10 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybest View Post

Unfortunately, the tapes I want to copy are SVHS tapes which will not play on my other DVD/VCR Combo (Magnavox).
Suggestions?

It's the Panny 485 recording function that's the problem so, if that Magnavox can record on DVDs, play the tape from the 485 to the Mag. I don't *think* playback on the 485 will interpret scene changes as new titles.
post #11 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
A solution mentioned earlier suggested using the Panasonic DMR-EZ485V outputs and inputs externally. That is, instead of relying on the internal connection between the VHS and DVD, you use a patch cable to redirect the output of the VHS to the input of the DVD. This apparently disregards the index marks.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #12 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Both Wajo and tomwil's idea will work but even though it may be more complicated I'd lean more towards tomwil's solution. That is, on the DVD side of your Panny select line input 1 as the source. Run a video and audio cable from the VHS output to the Line 1 input. Select the DVD side and push REC, quickly select the VHS side and push PLAY.
The tape should PLAY and the DVD side should record whats playing. Going this route, or Wajos should get rid of your extra titles and tidy things up. If you want to PAUSE the DVD side(for example to not record a porting of the tape) you need to select the DVD side otherwise you will only be stopping the VHS side and record the PAUSE, not what you want to do.
The older(non EZ) Panny combos had another easier way to accomplish this(without having to use external cables) but this is just one of the many downsides of the EZ combos.
The nice part of Wajos solution is you have two separate remotes so things don't get confused as to whether you are controlling the VCR or DVDR. Using just the Panny you have to always know what side the remote is controlling.
post #13 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I see what you are getting at.
I could use my S Video output terminal and S Video input terminal on the rear of my Panasonic DMR-EZ 485V, but that would give me a playback DVD disc in S Video. Right?
Perhaps I could use RCA cables for the Audo/Video output terminals and Audio/Video input terminals. I would lose a bit of resolution, but should be able to play the recorded DVD disc on any DVD player once finalized. Right?

Ray
post #14 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
If possible S-video should provide better picture quality, I just wasn't sure if you could get the VHS video to go out of the S-video output and feed it to the line 1 input. You could with the older non ES Panasonics but I'm not sure with a EZ model. If S-video didn't work, composite should work. I seem to remember S-video isn't available from the VHS priority output, only composite.
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Good. I now have ideas on how to proceed. Thanks for all your help.

Ray Best
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page