JVC Dr-MV150B - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know where I can buy a new JVC DR-MV150B DVD/VCR Combo?

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-25-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It's been discontinued, and its hard to find new leftover stock anywhere because the MV150B had an inexplicable cult following which caused fans to snatch them all up the minute they heard it would go out of production.

You could try looking for a similar LG, since the JVCs were just re-branded LGs anyway. Otherwise, pickings are slim. Its down to the nasty Panasonic EZ48v or the fraternal twin Toshibas and Magnavoxes. Of these, the Toshiba is most well-regarded.

DVD recorders are fading quickly into the sunset, even the popular VHS combo units (which I guess means VHS is finally dead, too).
post #3 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Liked: 10
When I hear the acronyms JVC and VCR, I think back to all the JVC VCRs I bought and just wonder why I bought any of them. When Amazon had a Panasonic DMP-BD70V Blu-ray Disc/VHS Multimedia Player on clearance sale for $140 two years ago, I bought it. The VHS player on that unit (very hard to find now) is far superior to any of my JVCs, even without flying erase heads. There is only one used BD70V available at Amazon today and the guy wants $500.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 02:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
All I could find new like it was a region-free, JVC DR-MV80B: http://www.world-import.com/JVC_DR-M...r_NTSC_VCR.htm
post #5 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrytwo View Post

When I hear the acronyms JVC and VCR, I think back to all the JVC VCRs I bought and just wonder why I bought any of them.

I always heard the JVC VHS/DVD models weren't all that hot, but when CitiBear said they were just re-branded LG's, that really put them right down towards the bottom of my list.

That site I mentioned above sells a Panasonic "DMR-ES35", also. Pretty high price, though. Maybe someone else sells it, or something similar cheaper.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The DR-MV150B and DR-MV100B were popular as early ATSC-tuner recorders, because their tuner-timers were a little less buggy than some other brands. Not a lot better, really, but people grasped at straws then so they became hot recorders. Aside from being not-terrible, there was nothing especially interesting about them that I could see. But then, I've never been fond of the all-in-one machines: those who did desperately want a combo seemed to like them very much. Since there are none leftover in stores, no refurb deals, and few used units on eBay, I assume most owners were happy with them.

The watershed year for many of these recorder brands was 2005, when all their hopes that DVDR would replace VHS as a mass-market TV recorder went up in smoke in the face of total North American disinterest. Between 2005 and 2006, nearly all of them gave up making their own distinct hardware in favor of surprising joint ventures with their rivals, or just signing OEM deals with generic mfrs like Funai.

The "genuine" JVC recorders pre-2006 were actually pretty damn good. They had a distinctive PQ that many loved and some hated, but at least it was something different to choose. Their Achilles Heel was a horrifically poor power supply section that tended to fail like clockwork whenever you set the timer for a really important TV event. There was an ambiguous extended warranty to fix it, but few owners were aware of this and just lived with the unreliability, seething until they exploded with rage on forums like this one. At the time, there were a couple of rabid JVC fanatics here who would cut their throats rather than admit anything was fundamentally wrong: they would post endlessly that anyone who had problems was hallucinating, making it up, was a "hater," or just plain too stupid to use a DVD recorder. As you can imagine, this was not helpful and just served to make JVC into more of a pariah. By late 2006 JVC moved to a very "meh" generic recorder design and by 2007 gave up and subcontracted LG to just slap a JVC label on their machines.

I once owned a couple of the 2004 JVCs, a DR-M100 DVD recorder and a DR-MV5 DVD/VHS combo recorder. When they worked, the PQ on finalized DVDs was about the best I've ever experienced. But they constantly crapped out with the dreaded "LOADING" paralysis and could not be relied on in timer mode. Too bad, because they also did a really nice job converting PAL discs to NTSC during playback, and the VCR in the DR-MV5 was really good at tracking dodgy tapes. Fortunately I bought them as "refurbs" so they didn't cost me much, I sold them off "as-is" without too much of a loss.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page