Options for Recording After DVDR's Are Gone - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 156 Old 03-30-2012, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Wajo: Just want to thank you for this thread idea, especially keeping it on top. I believe my use of cable analog may leave sometime this year....so when I am forced to be 100% digital, there is a lot of useful information here.

All the members' input is also appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 156 Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131

biggrin.gif

Charles R started a new thread describing his conversion from Tivo to Windows Media Center (WMC), with X-box as extenders, HDHomerun, etc. for all his recording, streaming, storage, etc,

He starts in Post #1with his initial desire to "give it a shot" and, in Posts 4 and 5, his decision to switch to WMC and reasons for doing so.

He has enough detail for anyone else to do the same thing if desired, or at least contact him for more details if needed.

biggrin.gif

post #123 of 156 Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
All kudos to Charles R and his posts, they deserve attention, but should be promoted in other "live" threads.

This was a pointless bump to a moribund vanity thread originally initiated as a panic response to the apparent discontinuation of the Magnavox. After all that springtime hysteria, the Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder wasn't discontinued after all, so the Magnavox sticky maintains its pride of place. Having this topic glued to the Magnavox sticky makes it seem like the sky is still falling, and could confuse newbies into thinking the Magnavox is gone when it isn't.

This sticky should have been unstuck during the AVS redesign a few weeks ago: by the time the Magnavox faces another genuine discontinuation threat, the info here will be even more outdated. It would be better for a new sticky on this topic to be introduced at that future time, so it starts off with up-to-date suggestions. Windows 8 alone will turn everything upside down in a few months.
post #124 of 156 Old 08-04-2012, 10:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Windows 8 alone will turn everything upside down in a few months.

For sure, considering that they're not going to include Windows Media Center (or even DVD playback frown.gif) with Windows 8.

post #125 of 156 Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

For sure, considering that they're not going to include Windows Media Center (or even DVD playback frown.gif ) with Windows 8.

Media Center and DVD playback can be added to Windows 8.

From CNET News:
Users interested in Media Center have a couple of choices. If they buy Windows 8 Pro, they can they purchase Windows 8 Media Center Pack to have full integration with DVD playback, broadcast TV recording and playback, and VOB file playback. If they have just Windows 8, they can buy the Windows 8 Pro Pack to get Media Center. Microsoft has yet to announce the cost for Windows 8 and the upgrades; it did say, however, that the Media Center Pack pricing will be "in line with marginal costs."
post #126 of 156 Old 08-05-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Yeah, lets lower the entry level versions price, then charge you extra for all the features you actually want and use rolleyes.gif I'll stick with win7 till something actually better and useful comes out, just like I did with XP till 7 was released.
As far as this thread it serves a useful purpose for those of us wanting to see what other options are out there if we can't find one of these recorders or just want to do something different.
I have been using this box as a media center with my HD HomeRun Prime quite happily for a long time now and once I got all the bugs worked out it just works for me on auto pilot and I don't even have to burn DVD's unless I need a hard copy for someone, plus it's all HD and works with my cable system. If you don't have or want cable they have tons of similar options for cheaper.
I'm keeping one old 3575 around and have been selling off all my other DVD recorders with hard drives I have around so a lot of my history is going bye bye. I sold my Panasonic E80h for 50 and my Polaroid 2001g, the one I added a 250 gig drive to half an hour after getting it home, for 20 because I put a Packard Bell European firmware on it I forgot about and the buyer still wanted it seeing how it had component inputs. I had put the original 80 back in and the 250 now lives in my one 3575 I have left.
I still have one 3575 left if anyone wants it cheap enough, it does have the cable digital tuner problem but other then that works as far as I remember. The Panny ended up going to Minnesota eek.gif
Keep this thread alive as I wont be buying another Magnavox till they decide to at least support cable card and HD.
post #127 of 156 Old 08-05-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
I have essentially the same setup as Charles and am very happy with the results. I built my system using mostly spare parts I already owned, plus a $100 cable card tuner which I paid for by selling one of my DVD recorders. I use my existing Xbox to interface media center with my TV. I have also used the media center add-on in Win 8 which works the same as it did in Win 7.

One thing to realize about Win 8 though, is that many media center hacks and add-ons will no longer work and probably never will. My favorite add-on is MyChannelLogos which lets you customize the guide and add logos for all channels. This makes WMC look a lot better and more user friendly. But the developers say Win 8 doesn't allow them to modify any DLL's like the did in Win 7, so it will never work in Win 8. The interface for Win 8 is the worst interface I've ever seen by far. Simply shutting down your computer requires about 8 steps. Running most apps requires a text search. And the Start menu is completely gone. Everything is more complicated to use. It's extremely frustrating. Not only that, it looks like it was designed by and for a 3 year old.

If you use your HTPC with a regular IR remote as I do, Win 8 is nearly impossible to use due to the number of text searches involved. For example to use the windows calculator, you have to click Desktop on the Metro screen, hover the mouse in a corner (try that with an IR remote), wait for a bar to slide out, click a search icon, and start typing the name of the app you want to run. It's incredible that they've done away with the point and click interface that's worked fine for at least 30 years and gone instead with spelling the name app you want to run, assuming you even know the name of it. I'm completely stunned. But this is the future of computing.

So if you're considering going the HTPC route, I highly recommend you avoid Win 8, not because it won't work - it works ok (mostly), but because Win 8 is a horrible OS in every other respect.
post #128 of 156 Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 80
That's an interesting thread. Thanks for the link! cool.gif
post #129 of 156 Old 08-06-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartman View Post

... I sold my Panasonic E80h for 50... The Panny ended up going to Minnesota...

I saw your Craig's List ad and was tempted to call about your E80H. By the time I decided to actually give you a call the ad said "SOLD."

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #130 of 156 Old 08-06-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

I saw your Craig's List ad and was tempted to call about your E80H. By the time I decided to actually give you a call the ad said "SOLD."
Well it would have been nice to actually sell it local, plus a excuse to meet you but after the local guy saw the tray was finicky he wasn't interested any more even though I told him I'd pop it open and see if I could rework the burner so it stopped hanging up. I think I had to open it one day when it locked up with a disk inside and I didn't have a clue about any emergency disk eject holes or other ways to make it spit it out.
Probably got it outa wack a bit when I put it back together as it does seem very touchy as far as tolerances goes. The other back east buyer was fine with it hanging up every so often like it did after I tweaked it a bit so he got it and you hadn't called or you could have had it. I did use the PayPal money to buy myself a new 7" Tablet with a very nice IPS screen and dual core CPU, as I already had about 121 bucks saved up in there from doing variuos online surveys that pay in points or cash till you have enough to cash out cool.gif
so it worked out. I got a new toy without having to spend any money of my own or put it on the card biggrin.gif I still have the 3575 if you need another one wink.gif
post #131 of 156 Old 08-08-2012, 06:06 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

...This was a pointless bump to a moribund vanity thread originally initiated as a panic response to the apparent discontinuation of the Magnavox. After all that springtime hysteria, the Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder wasn't discontinued after all, so the Magnavox sticky maintains its pride of place. Having this topic glued to the Magnavox sticky makes it seem like the sky is still falling, and could confuse newbies into thinking the Magnavox is gone when it isn't...

I'm confused. Was the Magnavox MDR... discontinued or not? And if it wasn't, who sells it?
post #132 of 156 Old 08-08-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_tu View Post

I'm confused. Was the Magnavox MDR... discontinued or not? And if it wasn't, who sells it?

The MDR515 and older models are no longer being manufactured. Magnavox has three updated models coming out (533, 535, and 537). The manual can be downloaded but the recorders are not available for purchase yet.

The new models appear to use the same chassis as the previous MDR models. The tuner is different (but I doubt better) so the rear panel has been changed slightly to accommodate the different ANT connector placement. Some of the menu and info overlay screens have changed. It looks like the only difference between the three new models is HDD size. The 533 has a 320GB drive, the 535 has a 500GB drive, and the 537 has a 1TB drive.
post #133 of 156 Old 08-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

The MDR515 and older models are no longer being manufactured. Magnavox has three updated models coming out (533, 535, and 537). The manual can be downloaded but the recorders are not available for purchase yet.
The new models appear to use the same chassis as the previous MDR models. The tuner is different (but I doubt better) so the rear panel has been changed slightly to accommodate the different ANT connector placement. Some of the menu and info overlay screens have changed. It looks like the only difference between the three new models is HDD size. The 533 has a 320GB drive, the 535 has a 500GB drive, and the 537 has a 1TB drive.

Thanks, that clears things up.
post #134 of 156 Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

For sure, considering that they're not going to include Windows Media Center (or even DVD playback frown.gif ) with Windows 8.

Win 8 doesn't need DVD playback. Read this:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/if-vlc-can-ship-a-free-dvd-player-why-cant-microsoft/4962

A very interesting game MS is playing...
post #135 of 156 Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
What's really disheartening is in an article linked to at the bottom of that page:
Quote:
Microsoft disbanded the Windows Media Center development team years ago
post #136 of 156 Old 08-29-2012, 05:27 PM

I have been copying all the movies I record on my 515 onto RW discs and then onto my computer for storage on a hard drive. I have been interested in the discussion here about the Hauppauge 1212 but I am reluctant to have a laptop running 24/7. I see Avermedia have a device called HD EzRecorder Plus C283c which seems to create the same format of video files. But only stereo audio. Would someone who is more experienced like to comment.
post #137 of 156 Old 08-29-2012, 05:41 PM

I use this Hauppauge Colossus .

MickinCT
post #138 of 156 Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:

So is it correct to say that right now there are no dvd/dvrs on sale in US right now?
post #139 of 156 Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycej@truman.ed View Post

Quote:

So is it correct to say that right now there are no dvd/dvrs on sale in US right now?

There is only the Magnavox 53x Series of HDD/DVD recorders, all SD 480i, three models just released on Sep 5, as described here.

HD recorder/DVR links can be found in post #1 of this thread.

post #140 of 156 Old 10-19-2012, 10:43 PM
Advanced Member

Was doing some web surfing and came across these by accident:

http://geniatech.com/pa/hd-cap-u800.asp

http://geniatech.com/pa/HD-cap-U600.asp

Anyone got one?

Blurb from the 800:

"Geniatech HDCap U800 is an eicient HDMI and analog capture box solution for PAL/SECAM/NTSC and digital video capture and playback for Windows, works with HDMI-enabled equipments and capture HD videos up to 1920*1080i, delivers broad compatibility with analog video devices equipped with composite or component interface. You can also connect it to cable/satellite set-top-box, gaming console and HD video recorders to capture your favorite video content on PC and burn CD/DVD directly."

Maybe something to look into?

Did some looking at forums. Not qute ready for prime time but may be promising in the coming months:

http://translate.google.com/translate?twu=1?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A//www.htforum.com/vb/showthread.php/196184-Mini-Review-Geniatech-HD-Cap-U800-Usb
post #141 of 156 Old 10-20-2012, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: Do YOUR Research and Pick YOUR Poison... wink.gif
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post

I have been copying all the movies I record on my 515 onto RW discs and then onto my computer for storage on a hard drive. I have been interested in the discussion here about the Hauppauge 1212 but I am reluctant to have a laptop running 24/7. I see Avermedia have a device called HD EzRecorder Plus C283c which seems to create the same format of video files. But only stereo audio. Would someone who is more experienced like to comment.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

I use this Hauppauge Colossus .
I have a Hauppauge PVR-1212 feeding a Win7 i3 Quad Core laptop 24x7 for Scrambled QAM from a FiOS HD STB. I also have 3 SiliconDust HDHR3-US Dual Tuners feeding Clear QAM (or OTA) to a Vista E2200 Dual-Core desktop 24x7.

You have to do your HOMEWORK / RESEARCH and decide what's the right combination for *YOU*!!! wink.gif i.e. AFAIK, many (ALL?) CableCard Tuner Cards *DO NOT* receive OTA.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #142 of 156 Old 10-28-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycej@truman.ed View Post

No there are Magnavox dvd/dvr's available on Amazon and Walmart's website.

The big pig is Magnavox MDR537H with a 1TB hard drive.
You can pay 2 prices on Amazon right now

http://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR537H-Recorder-Digital-Tuner/dp/B009L0409C/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1351475056&sr=1-1&keywords=Magnavox+MDR537H

This is from an Amazon dealer, not directly from Amazon. Amazon sells one itself for close to $400.

You can find the 3 models at Walmart. You may have to order it. Order it to the store and just pay the cost and sales tax.

http://www.walmart.com/browse/tv-video/dvd-blu-ray-players/magnavox/3944_1060825_95987/YnJhbmQ6TWFnbmF2b3gie?_refineresult=true&ic=32_0&path=0%3A3944&povid=cat1060825-env258601-moduleA050112-lLinkLHNShopVideo2_DVDPlayers

I just ordered my 2nd backup in case they are no longer sold.
post #143 of 156 Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I'd like to emphasize your point about keeping it simple, at least in the beginning, so old DVDR farts can keep up... and, remember, some of us have wife/CFO/kids/S.O.'s who cringe when you say the word "computer" so we'll have a huge learning curve (or impediment) there, just for the new language that might be required!
I do appreciate this very much confused.gif
post #144 of 156 Old 09-01-2013, 12:38 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I just purchased a new gray market DMR-EH69 because I am dependant/addicted to the options Panasonics offer. It appears to be similar to my DMR-E80H that had a DVD burner failure about a month ago. I tried a older LITEON ALL-rite LVW-5045 but missed the panny features too much! I have gotten the SCART adapters to S-video/composite so I can use the signal with my older recorders & TVs.

Anyone else here have a DMR-EH69 or EH59 who can share some tips, tricks or features about it that I have not learned yet??

I also am looking at gray market panny HDD Blue-Ray recorders. I have read reviews on the Panasonic DMR-PWT520, -BWT720, -BWT800, BWT880, ect...... Blue-ray player/HDD recorder DVRs. Any info on how compatible these sold in the UK & Australia models are for use in the US connected to a US spec TV??? I am happy with my current unit but will be looking into the other units in the coming year.

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #145 of 156 Old 09-01-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

I just purchased a new gray market DMR-EH69 because I am dependant/addicted to the options Panasonics offer. It appears to be similar to my DMR-E80H that had a DVD burner failure about a month ago. I tried a older LITEON ALL-rite LVW-5045 but missed the panny features too much! I have gotten the SCART adapters to S-video/composite so I can use the signal with my older recorders & TVs.

Anyone else here have a DMR-EH69 or EH59 who can share some tips, tricks or features about it that I have not learned yet??

I also am looking at gray market panny HDD Blue-Ray recorders. I have read reviews on the Panasonic DMR-PWT520, -BWT720, -BWT800, BWT880, ect...... Blue-ray player/HDD recorder DVRs. Any info on how compatible these sold in the UK & Australia models are for use in the US connected to a US spec TV??? I am happy with my current unit but will be looking into the other units in the coming year.

You can sort of eliminate the question of which TV if you get one that can display either NTSC or PAL, like some (or all) Vizios.

I believe each recorder's specs should tell whether they can record in NTSC or PAL, with a machine setting/option, so using in our NTSC system should be OK via non-tuner inputs (like the DMR-EH59/69)?

post #146 of 156 Old 09-01-2013, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
You may find more recent smaller threads but this is the thread I have listed as the master EH-59/69 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1192460/availability-of-panasonic-dmr-eh59-69-in-usa

While the EH-59/69 are considered "grey" market recorders a Panasonic BD recorder would probably considered black market(although it's not illegal). It would be up to the customer(you) to order one from a place like Amazon.UK(or whatever the UK version of Amazon is).
I've only read one post from a US resident who purchased a Panasonic from the UK and it was fairly recent. I believe he said it had the option for NTSC but I don't think it could play our regions commercial DVDs. It recorded all regions so that wasn't a problem.
Maybe someone else will remember what thread the talk was going on in, I'll search around too. Note the tuner in such a Panasonic will not work here and the only inputs are SD so don't think you'll be able to record HD to BDs, it would strictly be a SD recorder.

edit: I think THIS was the post I was thinking about and the user did order it from Amazon.UK but it was not a BD recorder but rather a DVD/VHS combo. The interesting part was the recorder wasn't really a grey market model but it sounds like a true UK model, and it did have settings for NTSC. I don't know if the Panasonic BD recorders would be similar, and considering what the cost most people probably aren't going to risk it and possibly be stuck with an expensive boat anchor that only works in PAL.
Looks like it would cost you ~400 pounds + shipping to find out for sure if it would indeed work here.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-BWT735EB-Blu-ray-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B00BYUGN6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378077121&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+blu+ray+recorder
post #147 of 156 Old 09-01-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

You may find more recent smaller threads but this is the thread I have listed as the master EH-59/69 thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1192460/availability-of-panasonic-dmr-eh59-69-in-usa

While the EH-59/69 are considered "grey" market recorders a Panasonic BD recorder would probably considered black market(although it's not illegal). It would be up to the customer(you) to order one from a place like Amazon.UK(or whatever the UK version of Amazon is).
I've only read one post from a US resident who purchased a Panasonic from the UK and it was fairly recent. I believe he said it had the option for NTSC but I don't think it could play our regions commercial DVDs. It recorded all regions so that wasn't a problem.
Maybe someone else will remember what thread the talk was going on in, I'll search around too. Note the tuner in such a Panasonic will not work here and the only inputs are SD so don't think you'll be able to record HD to BDs, it would strictly be a SD recorder.

edit: I think THIS was the post I was thinking about and the user did order it from Amazon.UK but it was not a BD recorder but rather a DVD/VHS combo. The interesting part was the recorder wasn't really a grey market model but it sounds like a true UK model, and it did have settings for NTSC. I don't know if the Panasonic BD recorders would be similar, and considering what the cost most people probably aren't going to risk it and possibly be stuck with an expensive boat anchor that only works in PAL.
Looks like it would cost you ~400 pounds + shipping to find out for sure if it would indeed work here.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMR-BWT735EB-Blu-ray-Recorder-Freeview/dp/B00BYUGN6U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378077121&sr=8-1&keywords=panasonic+blu+ray+recorder

If I could find a import HDD Blu-Ray recorder with a HDMI input could I record in HD then with one of these?

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #148 of 156 Old 09-01-2013, 11:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselrat View Post

If I could find a import HDD Blu-Ray recorder with a HDMI input could I record in HD then with one of these?

It looks like they're used for off-air or similar recording, and would have tuners that would be useless in the U.S.. I don't think you're going to find one with HDMI inputs.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #149 of 156 Old 09-06-2013, 05:25 PM

I have a question related to using a converter with the SCART connections for input & output.

Can the "SCART" connectors/adapters to RGB or S-video/composite be used to get around the slightly raised black level(+7.5 IRE)????

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #150 of 156 Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 PM

Or what about SCART to HDMI??

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page