Options for Recording After DVDR's Are Gone - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #181 of 187 Old 06-21-2015, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott967 View Post
I like my Magnavox DVDR, just wish there was a way to pull off titles direct without having to burn DVDs. For a lot of my TV viewing LP data rate / half SD frame is sufficient. I couldn't see trying to store 7 channels 24/7 of HD data.

scott s.
When I save a show I generally have an SD version available I could use but choose not to. I don't worry about running out of space because hard drives are cheaper than blank optical disks. Because my HDHR Prime has a cable card I'm not limited to only the channel tuned on my cable box. I might feel differently if I could get even the main channels OTA but Cable Card and WMC is what I use.
mdavej likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 187 Old 06-29-2015, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
When I save a show I generally have an SD version available I could use but choose not to. I don't worry about running out of space because hard drives are cheaper than blank optical disks. Because my HDHR Prime has a cable card I'm not limited to only the channel tuned on my cable box. I might feel differently if I could get even the main channels OTA but Cable Card and WMC is what I use.

Buying a spindle of TY/JVC -R discs is about 30 cents each...

How is that less expensive than a hard drive?

As a side question, since I am interested in learning more about computers used as DVRs, is there any way to record something on a computer DVR when the cable system has the channel/program stamped as "do not record" or "one copy only" and so forth?

With the HDMI-to-composite/s-video converters I use with my Magnavox recorders, such "stamps" are filtered out, so I can record whatever I like and even burn to DVD.

Anything along those lines doable with a computer DVR that's using a cable card (or just a QAM tuner)?
post #183 of 187 Old 06-29-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
Buying a spindle of TY/JVC -R discs is about 30 cents each...

How is that less expensive than a hard drive?

As a side question, since I am interested in learning more about computers used as DVRs, is there any way to record something on a computer DVR when the cable system has the channel/program stamped as "do not record" or "one copy only" and so forth?

With the HDMI-to-composite/s-video converters I use with my Magnavox recorders, such "stamps" are filtered out, so I can record whatever I like and even burn to DVD.

Anything along those lines doable with a computer DVR that's using a cable card (or just a QAM tuner)?
My math might be wrong, but I think a hard drive is a bit cheaper per gig than a disc. Assuming $115 for a 3tb HDD and 30 cents for a 5 gig disc.

I won't even get into ease of access with an HDD versus a disc. This is why a lot of people are eschewing discs and going to HDD/servers to store content. I can watch any of 500 or so movies I have without getting up from the recliner.
post #184 of 187 Old 06-30-2015, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

A computer DVR works the same as a Tivo or Cable/Sat DVR. It respects the copy protection. "Copy Once" can be recorded, "Copy Never" can't. You'd usually only see the latter on a high priced PPV event like a $100 boxing match or something like that. Premium channels are usually "Copy Once", hence recordable. Can you then copy that recording to a DVD? No, because you only get one copy. If it's marked "Copy Freely", then you can. Clear QAM has no copy protection, so you can make as many copies as you want.

Sounds like you have requirements that most of us don't have. I generally record, watch, delete. I never buy PPV, and I almost never archive to DVD anymore. Anything I want to keep, I simply don't delete. I have thousands of recordings on my hard drives at my finger tips with cover art, synopses, etc. No sorting through stacks and stacks of DVDs to find something. And 99% of my recordings are HD.

If you have a lot of protected content and are satisfied with SD DVDs and single tuners, you should probably stick with what you have.
post #185 of 187 Old 06-30-2015, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Clear QAM has no copy protection, so you can make as many copies as you want.
Copy protection and scrambling are two different things.
post #186 of 187 Old 06-30-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy View Post
Copy protection and scrambling are two different things.
I never said otherwise. What's your point? If you can explain it more clearly, knock yourself out.
post #187 of 187 Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I never said otherwise. What's your point? If you can explain it more clearly, knock yourself out.
You did say: "Clear QAM has no copy protection, so you can make as many copies as you want."

There is nothing about Clear QAM that automatically marks it as copy freely. On the other hand Clear QAM is not scrambled so doesn't require a CableCard to decode it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)