recording directly to disc on Magnavox H2160MW9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi:

I'm involved in transferring some old family VHS tapes to DVD. To save time, I'm planning on burning them directly to DVD using my Magnavox H2160MW9.

I've read here that by using 8x discs, the life of the laser can be prolonged when you go burn from the Magnavox internal HDD to DVD disc.

Does the same principle apply if I burn a DVD directly with the Magnavox? Just wondering because 8x discs end up costing almost double the price of 16x. Many thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Direct record (in real time) just will kill your laser early.
post #3 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Argalby,

For my part, I'm a big believer in DTD for home videos YOU DON'T NEED TO EDIT, for the reasons explained here.

I would not hesitate to use DTD for copying projects, esp. for things that run longer rather than shorter. DTD can get more on a disc even compared to HSD, as shown in the table here.

AFA laser use, I'm not even sure the laser is used for the audio track when the black/blue screen starts after the video signal ends (haven't found expert source yet), as described in the DTD discussion linked above, but even if it is, a replacement burner costs only $67.99 with its mated/calibrated PCB board and is EASY to replace. If REALLY concerned, get a replacement now while they're available?

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #4 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

And I will counter Wajo's opinion of DTD by saying that my personal preference is to be able to use the HDD editing features for intuitive chapter mark creation and scene cutting.

Think about this as a time saver: You have a 6-hour VHS tape with some content you want to keep, and some you don't. You can do an instant timer (press record multiple times) for 6 hours, play the VHS tape from the beginning and record the entire tape to HDD overnight while you sleep. Then the next day you can skim through your recording, cutting out the segments you don't want, add chapters, and then HSD the result to DVD.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick advice everyone!

I'm leaning towards DTD as Wajo recommends. If I try to prolong the life of the DVD burner, I think I'd lose quality; ie. on a 2hr tape I'd have to record to HDD in SP mode so that I could do a HSD and burn the DVD in about ten minutes. I'm guessing DTD would get me the best quality, although the burner would be going the whole time.

Since I have a lot of transferring to do, I think I'll buy a spare burner as Wajo recommends.

So insofar as the type of discs to use 8x versus 16x for DTD? Think the 8x will prolong the laser? Thanks!
post #6 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argalby View Post

Thanks for the quick advice everyone!

I'm leaning towards DTD as Wajo recommends. If I try to prolong the life of the DVD burner, I think I'd lose quality; ie. on a 2hr tape I'd have to record to HDD in SP mode so that I could do a HSD and burn the DVD in about ten minutes. I'm guessing DTD would get me the best quality, although the burner would be going the whole time.

Since I have a lot of transferring to do, I think I'll buy a spare burner as Wajo recommends.

Yes, your copy on the DVD will be 1st gen. so no loss compared to a 1st gen on HDD then HSD.

I hope you'll enjoy DTD as much as I do. It makes a big copy project easier on the project manager... for titles that don't need editing after copying or that you don't want to babysit with PAUSE/REC action, of course!

Just be aware that using DTD (RTR), the rec mode you select for 1st tape will become the DEFAULT rec mode (in case you intersperse regular manual recording in between tapes), i.e., just be aware and check rec mode faithfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argalby View Post

So insofar as the type of discs to use 8x versus 16x for DTD? Think the 8x will prolong the laser? Thanks!

Yes, 8X for the reasons listed/explained here.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again Wajo!

Quote:

I hope you'll enjoy DTD as much as I do. It makes a big copy project easier on the project manager.

Yes this should go smoothly. I just purchased a 1980's Vidicraft II image enhancer. It works very well to add a little sharpness to the video tapes during the dub.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
To each his own, of course, but my personal take is that burning DTD pretty much negates the entire point of owning a DVD/HDD recorder: if you were going to do that anyway, may as well have bought a VHS/DVD combo unit.

The added disc capacity in DTD mode cited by wajo is negligible to me except in very rare circumstances of specific movies where I absolutely do need that last possible 30 seconds to avoid dropping down from SP speed. Otherwise, any real-time sustained use of the laser for DTD recording is sustained use of the laser: again defeating a key advantage of using a DVD/HDD recorder (very brief laser use during high speed copy from HDD prolongs the laser life enormously).

I don't find I save much time going DTD vs HDD>DVD: it takes two hours to copy a two hour VHS anyway, another 18mins for the disc dub doesn't bother me and I like having the backup of the HDD recording in case the disc burn fails (you wanna talk wasted time, how about having to run the entire tape dub over again because the disc fails to finish burning or won't finalize)? As dare2be noted, more often than not you're gonna wanna put at least a couple custom chapter marks and trim junk from the beginning and end of the tape, which you can do very quickly on the HDD but very clumsily (if at all) DTD. We used to make excuses like "oh well, with VHS we had no editing options anyway so no big deal with a straight-across DTD dub" back when DVD-only recorders cost $500 and DVD/HDD was $900, but if you bought a Magnacox DVD/HDD for $200 it seems rather counterproductive not to use the HDD feature.

Regarding the 8x DVD-Rs, these aren't as crucial with the Magnavox as they are with older "classic" recorders (the Mag has a more "modern" burner that actually does have a slight clue how to burn 16x media without tearing itself to pieces). But do avoid "bargain" 16x media: it isn't that difficult to find good-quality Verbatim AZO 16x in better stores or online (stay away from the Verb 16x "Life" series now being blown out for pennies at superstores: it isn't "real" Verbatim media). There is still an advantage to 8x in terms of better burn quality because it more closely matches the top speed of the Magnavox burner, also it is more durable media for archiving, but you can do fairly well with 16x in the Magnavox. There have been scattered reports of it failing with crummy 16x media (i.e., any 16x besides Verbatim AZO), especially cheap poorly-formulated +R varieties.

I would not count on the "friendly Funai" parts situation very far into the future. People are already having a hard time getting replacement remotes from them, and once the last Magnavox blows out of WalMart I don't think replacement burner are going to be all that easy to obtain. If you can afford to, get a spare burner now: at the very least, don't go further down the media food chain than Verbatim 16x AZO.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'd +1 Citibears post for the reasons he stated but for my rather large VHS dubbing project I'd be kind of a hypocrite. You see I gave up early on using my HDD DVDRs in favor of DTD(direct to disc?) with my non HDD recorders(started out with 6 but 2 died fairly early on and I'm only using 4 now).
True it is nice to be able to add chapter marks and make a second copy if the DTD fails, but failing is extremely rare(<.3% so far in my case) and the time it would take to add chapter marks would just be too time consuming. Sure 18 mins for the HS burn(more like 10 on my HDD DVDRs) doesn't sound like much but multiply 18 mins. X 2000(approx # of DVDs I'll be dealing with) and it turns into 36,000 minutes or 600 hours or 25 days running 24hrs straight).
I guess I'd be less likely to use a HDD DVDR for a DTD(which is why I'm using my non HDD DVDRs for this project) but I guess if burners for my DVDRs were as inexpensive as the Funai ones I might consider it.
It all depends on your time and how involved you want to get. For me I just want a direct dump of my VHS tapes so I can be done with them, others may want to spend more time and really do it right. I like to do things right but in this case just don't have the time
post #10 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Just a few comments on the above few posts:

1. I thought a HSD did not introduce a "2nd generation" quality loss, that it was basically lossless from HDD to DVD.

2. My failure rate was also very low (<1%) using DTD on my other non-HDD recorders, but the aggravation and anger it imposed on me whe it did happen was enough for me to seek out the Philips and Mag recorders in the first place.

3. If a VHS tape is over 2 hours and won't fit on a disc, either by DTD or HSD, you can still record to HDD and then title split it or scene delete to fit on the DVD.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I'd +1 Citibears post for the reasons he stated but for my rather large VHS dubbing project I'd be kind of a hypocrite. You see I gave up early on using my HDD DVDRs in favor of DTD(direct to disc?) with my non HDD recorders(started out with 6 but 2 died fairly early on and I'm only using 4 now).
True it is nice to be able to add chapter marks and make a second copy if the DTD fails, but failing is extremely rare(<.3% so far in my case) and the time it would take to add chapter marks would just be too time consuming. Sure 18 mins for the HS burn(more like 10 on my HDD DVDRs) doesn't sound like much but multiply 18 mins. X 2000(approx # of DVDs I'll be dealing with) and it turns into 36,000 minutes or 600 hours or 25 days running 24hrs straight).
I guess I'd be less likely to use a HDD DVDR for a DTD(which is why I'm using my non HDD DVDRs for this project)... It all depends on your time and how involved you want to get. For me I just want a direct dump of my VHS tapes so I can be done with them, others may want to spend more time and really do it right. I like to do things right but in this case just don't have the time

Over a ten month period back in 2007 I went through a dubbing project transferring selected portions of my twenty year accumulation of home-recorded videotaped material to DVD through the DTD method. Once fully up to speed there were between four and seven Panasonic DVD recorders each running between sixteen and eighteen hours per day, six days a week. There were around 5,200 titles transferred! I'm glad that dubbing project is well behind me. (I retired in 2002 so my time is mostly my own.)

I use a mixture of Panasonic DVD recorders and Panasonic, Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders.

Since much of what I record is from Turner Classic Movies (where the material is uncut and commercial free) I use DTD or HDD recording for that purpose.

For other material that needs editing I always use HDD recording, then edit/divide the material and then high-speed dub the material to DVD(s).

Early in my use of HDD/DVD recorders I made a stupendous mistake of recording one DVD with the DTD method. That was the first and only time I did that. I learned my lesson, I never leave a HDD/DVD recorder in the DVD mode with an empty disc in the tray. I figured that that one DTD mistake was probably equal to laser assembly wear and tear of high-speed dubbing several hundred DVDs.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page