Magnavox 515 Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TomX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,

I got my Magnavox 515 last night (ordered from Walmart.com) and I need some help to set it up.

1. I connected it to my Sony receiver via HDMI cable. No sound
2. I read the manual and tried to turn "HDMI Audio" on but found out that this menu item is disabled.
3. Did I get a lemon or something wrong with my HDMI cable? I use the same cable that connects my blueray player to the receiver and there is no problem with the sound.
4. I called Magnavox customer service and they have no idea why the "HDMI Audio" menu is disabled.

Any input is welcome!

Tom
TomX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TomX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finally found a walk around,

1. Connect the Magnavox 515 to my projector (yes, I am using a OPTOMA HD20 projector, not a TV) directly via HDMI cable.

2. Connect the Magnavox 515 to my receiver via 2 RCA audio cables (come with Magnavox 515).

Now I can see TV from my projector and hear sound from my receiver at the same time, but I still want to figure out why the HDMI cable doesn't work for sound.

Thanks!

Tom
TomX is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TomX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also, I'm not very satisfied with the picture quality. It took me a while to figure out the "HDMI" button on the remote control does the trick, but even with 1080p option, the picture doesn't look very sharp with my HD20 projector.

Does anybody use Magnavox 515 to watch HDTV on projector? Any suggestions? I really appreciate it!

Tom
TomX is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomX View Post

Also, I'm not very satisfied with the picture quality. It took me a while to figure out the "HDMI" button on the remote control does the trick, but even with 1080p option, the picture doesn't look very sharp with my HD20 projector.

Does anybody use Magnavox 515 to watch HDTV on projector? Any suggestions? I really appreciate it!

Tom

That's because the output is SD not HD and SD looks like crap on a 110" screen. The Magnavox down-converts everything from the tuner to 480i. That 1080p output is just an upconversion of the Magnavox native 480i. If your projector is of decent quality it probably has a much better scaler so feed it the native 480i that the Magnavox puts out and see if that makes any difference. If not, return the Magnavox and put the money towards a real HD DVR.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TomX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the quick reply. And your explanation makes sense to me. I think I will return it even without the sound problem. Any recommendations for a real HD DVR? I prefer the DVRs without monthly fee and that's one of the reasons I bought Magnavox 515. Thanks again!

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

That's because the output is SD not HD and SD looks like crap on a 110" screen. The Magnavox down-converts everything from the tuner to 480i. That 1080p output is just an upconversion of the Magnavox native 480i. If your projector is of decent quality it probably has a much better scaler so feed it the native 480i that the Magnavox puts out and see if that makes any difference. If not, return the Magnavox and put the money towards a real HD DVR.

TomX is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,031
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
By chance, you don't have your coax running thru a surge suppressor coax connection, do you? That degrades signal beyond the SD thing. Analog channels at 110" should not look good at all, but digital channels might have a chance if you send 480p via HDMI?

BTW, Where did you mention that you have a 110" screen?
wajo is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomX View Post

Thanks for the quick reply. And your explanation makes sense to me. I think I will return it even without the sound problem. Any recommendations for a real HD DVR? I prefer the DVRs without monthly fee and that's one of the reasons I bought Magnavox 515. Thanks again!

Tom

You have two choices for HD DVR's, both are dual tuner.

The new Channel Master CM-7400 ($400 flat price)
  • ATSC and Clear QAM, no cable card.
  • Glorified digital VCR with date/time recording.
  • No guide just PSIP information which only extends a day at best. A 14 day extended guide is available for a $50/yr subscription.
  • Has interface for streaming on-line services -- no Netflix
  • Runs hot. Hotter than people would like.
  • The thread is here. Read it and the reviews.
  • A couple people in the thread bought it and kept it and like it, so it's not all bad. They report no problems.
  • One guy did put a laptop cooler under it and that seems to have made all the difference as far as being able to run cool.
  • Many other people have bought it and returned it quickly either because of the heat or their disappointment in the feature set. Some of those people then bought the second choice and are content.
TiVo Premier ($600 flat price)
  • TiVo is a high-end piece of equipment with a combination of features that set it apart.
  • Dual Rf inputs for OTA antenna and cable.
  • Records ATSC OTA and cable HD/5.1 with cable-card functionality. Integrates both streams into a single guide and channel lineup. Cable card not absolutely required for cable service but the unit is pretty useless for cable without it.
  • Fully integrated 14 day OTA/cable EPG -- included in the price for life of the unit -- requires Internet connection
  • Name-based recording and advanced scheduling -- season pass, wishlist recording
  • Remote scheduling over the web from your PC or smart-phone
  • Expandable internal storage or plug-in external storage
  • Full suite of Internet media sites including Netflix and Blockbuster VOD
  • Can stream recorded content between two TiVos
  • Can stream content from network storage, i.e. ripped DVD's
  • Allows network transfer of any unprotected recorded content in original HD/5.1 to PC for network storage, editing and/or burning to any kind of disk your PC can support -- now and in the future.
  • The thread is here. See post #1 for a good overview.

My recommendation would be the TiVo. I've had mine for three years and it just works. We watch 100% of our TV through it. I don't maintain it, I just use it as if it wasn't there. The name based recording makes all the difference. I set season passes for shows and sporting events (i.e. Eagles football games and Phillies Baseball games) 3 yrs ago and never worried about them since. It just records them whenever they pop up in the schedule at whatever day and time they are aired (and in the case of the ball games, whatever channel they are broadcast on).

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TomX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wajo,

Thanks for the reply. I don't quite understand what surge suppressor coax connection is, but I don't use coax at all. I use HDMI cable to connect 515 to receiver. I do use an antenna though and it is connected to 515 via coax.

And yes, my projector has a 120' screen.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

By chance, you don't have your coax running thru a surge suppressor coax connection, do you? That degrades signal beyond the SD thing. Analog channels at 110" should not look good at all, but digital channels might have a chance if you send 480p via HDMI?

BTW, Where did you mention that you have a 110" screen?

TomX is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
TomX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the recommendations! I really appreciate it although both of them are a little bit pricey for me

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You have two choices for HD DVR's, both are dual tuner.

The new Channel Master CM-7400 ($400 flat price)
  • ATSC and Clear QAM, no cable card.
  • Glorified digital VCR with date/time recording.
  • No guide just PSIP information which only extends a day at best. A 14 day extended guide is available for a $50/yr subscription.
  • Has interface for streaming on-line services -- no Netflix
  • Runs hot. Hotter than people would like.
  • The thread is here. Read it and the reviews.
  • A couple people in the thread bought it and kept it and like it, so it's not all bad. They report no problems.
  • One guy did put a laptop cooler under it and that seems to have made all the difference as far as being able to run cool.
  • Many other people have bought it and returned it quickly either because of the heat or their disappointment in the feature set. Some of those people then bought the second choice and are content.
TiVo Premier ($600 flat price)
  • TiVo is a high-end piece of equipment with a combination of features that set it apart.
  • Dual Rf inputs for OTA antenna and cable.
  • Records ATSC OTA and cable HD/5.1 with cable-card functionality. Integrates both streams into a single guide and channel lineup. Cable card not absolutely required for cable service but the unit is pretty useless for cable without it.
  • Fully integrated 14 day OTA/cable EPG -- included in the price for life of the unit -- requires Internet connection
  • Name-based recording and advanced scheduling -- season pass, wishlist recording
  • Remote scheduling over the web from your PC or smart-phone
  • Expandable internal storage or plug-in external storage
  • Full suite of Internet media sites including Netflix and Blockbuster VOD
  • Can stream recorded content between two TiVos
  • Can stream content from network storage, i.e. ripped DVD's
  • Allows network transfer of any unprotected recorded content in original HD/5.1 to PC for network storage, editing and/or burning to any kind of disk your PC can support -- now and in the future.
  • The thread is here. See post #1 for a good overview.

My recommendation would be the TiVo. I've had mine for three years and it just works. We watch 100% of our TV through it. I don't maintain it, I just use it as if it wasn't there. The name based recording makes all the difference. I set season passes for shows and sporting events (i.e. Eagles football games and Phillies Baseball games) 3 yrs ago and never worried about them since. It just records them whenever they pop up in the schedule at whatever day and time they are aired (and in the case of the ball games, whatever channel they are broadcast on).

TomX is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 9,969
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomX View Post

Thanks for the recommendations! I really appreciate it although both of them are a little bit pricey for me

Tom

I understand. The reality is that HD recording is not cheap. Even with the PC-based solutions, the add-on tuners are not that expensive, but you still have to buy the dedicated PC and HDMI graphics board with enough horsepower to render full HD 1080. You are still up in the $600 range for a complete solution.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off