Hookup/Record from DVD-R to VCR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I have a DVD-R and a VCR that I want to get hooked up, so that I can record VHS to DVD, and DVD to VHS, using either player as a source. I have been trying to figure this out for a long time and what I try doesn't work so I give up for awhile, try again, think for awhile, retry. I need help, lol. Can anyone help me get this hooked up? I'm a A/V idiot, so pardon my terminology and all that. I've done a lot of learning just to make a post here that makes sense

The DVD-R (Philips DVDR3576H/37) has only one open component A/V out.
The VCR (ooollldddd JVC HR-A591U) has one input other than the coax, and it's a composite on the front.
My TV (Sony Trinitron KV-27S42), if it's needed, has NO open connections, is all composite, with maybe one taken S-video.

So, I'm maybe gonna need some accessories, lol. And possibly a different VCR from Craigslist. My "home theater" is obviously archaic, but it's all I got right now.

Here is my badly done diagram of how everything is connected.

I can make a vhs into a dvd now by connecting the VCR composite out cable to the front input of the DVD-R (with a "magic" box in between) and choosing the front connection as the source, recording to the DVD-r hard drive/Dvd drive. It's been awhile since I've done it, but I think the DVD-R shows the vhs video on the TV as long as I choose the DVD-R as a source in the TV menu.

My problem is making a VHS out of a DVD or DVD-R hard drive recording. Obviously the input/output does not match. Is there a way to get this working or would it be better to just get another VCR with a component input? Is another "magic" box necessary for this connection as well? I have to have an "output" to get video to the VCR, correct?

Thanks for reading and for any suggestions
Gina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Is copying from the DVDR to the VCR a temporary project or are you looking for a more permanent installation?
post #3 of 27 Old 01-30-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
See Sketch 3A, Advanced Cable Connections, here (under sketch this link takes you to).

Lots of explanatory text in that help file too.
post #4 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Is copying from the DVDR to the VCR a temporary project or are you looking for a more permanent installation?

I'm looking for a more permanent solution, I don't see getting rid of the vcr I need the vhs tapes for to be changed anytime soon. But, I'd be open to any suggestion at this point. I don't really mind work-arounds. I'll be doing more dvd/hdd to vhs, than vhs to dvd, actually.

I thought about getting a dvd/vcr recorder combo, because much of the stuff I need to put on vhs is on a non-protected home burnt dvd anyway. But I run into the same connection problem because all the dvd/vcr combos I looked at today on a list of disconitinued vcr/dvd rcorders at newegg.com, not ONE has a component IN, the only video out connection I have open on the dvd-r. I'd still need my current dvd-r to be a source for dvd-r hard drive stuff.

I'm starting to wonder if this is even possible

Thank you
post #5 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

See Sketch 3A, Advanced Cable Connections, here (under sketch this link takes you to).

Lots of explanatory text in that help file too.

This is way over my head, lol. BUT, from the looks of sketch 3A, I don't see how I can copy dvd to vcr. Just vcr to dvd. I can do that already by hooking up the vcr composite out to the front composite inputs of the dvd-r box, which is what the diagram shows. The only difference I can see is there is no coax splitter involved in the set up. Am I missing something?

If there is a difference I can't see due to my complete ineptitude in this subject, I'd love some help understanding

Thank you!
post #6 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginakra View Post

This is way over my head, lol. BUT, from the looks of sketch 3A, I don't see how I can copy dvd to vcr. Just vcr to dvd. I can do that already by hooking up the vcr composite out to the front composite inputs of the dvd-r box, which is what the diagram shows. The only difference I can see is there is no coax splitter involved in the set up. Am I missing something?

If there is a difference I can't see due to my complete ineptitude in this subject, I'd love some help understanding

Thank you!

No, you didn't miss anything. The sketch shows a connection between VCR and DVDR, which can be either one-way (VCR>DVDR) or two-way (VCR>DVD>VCR).

For copying DVDR>VCR, just connect ANOTHER set of cables from a DVDR output on back to a VCR input. Then, if you want to see what the VCR is seeing/recording, you'll need ANOTHER connection: VCR to TV.

If you're asking about recording TV channels directly with the VCR also, that will require a splitter on the incoming coax of some sort, dep. on which other items need the coax feed. Or you can record the DVDR feed so it can tune the channels for the VCR, just select the approp. INPUT on the VCR and press REC.

If you run into copy-protection problems in either direction, see this help file for cheap filters/converters.

To avoid confusion, connect one item at a time and get it working as desired?
post #7 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

For copying DVDR>VCR, just connect ANOTHER set of cables from a DVDR output on back to a VCR input.

That is what the whole question is about I am trying to find out HOW to connect the DVDR out to a VCR in (if it's even possible), with the connections I have left or how to workaround. It's not so simple as to just do what you suggested Maybe read my first post again?

The problem is I only have a component out on the DVDR, and a Composite in on the VCR.
post #8 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

If you go to that CP link I gave and read about the "converter" features, a light *might* come on?
post #9 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

I think you mean that there is only one AVAILABLE output on the DVDR, and it's component, right? The 3576 definitely DOES have a composite output.

Here's my stab at your configuration...it will require having the source inputs set correctly on each unit, but I think it will get you what you want. My changes are in red.

Bottom line: if you want to record from VCR to DVD, put the A/B switch to A and the TV on composite input to view on the TV what you are recording. To record from DVD to VCR, put the A/B switch to B, and set the TV input to coax channel 3 or 4 (whatever the VCR uses for its coax out)
LL
post #10 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

IF your cable box is connected to the TV with coax this might work:

Disconnect the coax at the back of the TV.
Run the coax from the cable box OUT to the VCR coax IN.

Add another piece of coax from the VCR OUT to the TV IN.

At the back of your TV, disconnect the Y/R/W cables that come from the DVDR OUT.
Connect the Y/R/W cables from the DVDR OUT to the VCR front composite video IN.

Connect Y/R/W cables from the VCR OUT to the DVDR front composite video L2 IN.

To view the VCR output you will need to turn on the VCR and TV, and tune the TV to channel 3 or 4.

To view the DVDR output you will do the same as when you view the VCR output but select the front composite video input on the VCR.
post #11 of 27 Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Ginakra, the best setup would be to get a new AVR with facilities for two VCRs, and a rec select function. That's what I have. You run the composite, R/L audio, and S-Vid ins and outs from your DVDR and VCR to the AVR. You use the AVR's outputs to your TV. You can use the AVR to select your source for recording on the DVDR and the VCR.
post #12 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Ken.F's arrangement should work. The drawback is the vcr must be on to watch from the dvdr. You can bypass that and watch directly from the dvdr if you get three "Y" adapters, one male RCA plug to 2 female RCA jacks, plug these into you dvdr composite out and run a Y/R/W to both the vcr input and to the tv. On the tv you'd have to select the "AUX" (composite) input for the dvdr signal. This might be helpful too, when you are recording, particularly if you are pausing one device or the other, to keep track of which signal you're watching.

If your tv supports s-video, you could run s-video to the tv and you wouldn't need to split your video.
post #13 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

Ken.F's arrangement should work. The drawback is the vcr must be on to watch from the dvdr. You can bypass that and watch directly from the dvdr if you get three "Y" adapters, one male RCA plug to 2 female RCA jacks, plug these into you dvdr composite out and run a Y/R/W to both the vcr input and to the tv. On the tv you'd have to select the "AUX" (composite) input for the dvdr signal. This might be helpful too, when you are recording, particularly if you are pausing one device or the other, to keep track of which signal you're watching.

If your tv supports s-video, you could run s-video to the tv and you wouldn't need to split your video.

Which is similar to the diagram I posted, except I used an A/B switch instead of Y-adapters...I admit the Y-adapter solution would be preferable, in both cost and convenience.
post #14 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I like this solution the best. It is easy and keeps everything else exactly like you have it now. Get three "Y" adapters, one male RCA plug to 2 female RCA jacks, plug these into you dvdr composite out and run a Y/R/W to both the vcr input and to the tv.
post #15 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

I admit the Y-adapter solution would be preferable, in both cost and convenience.

But not preferable in picture quality. I don't like to split composite video.
post #16 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

IF your cable box is connected to the TV with coax this might work:

Disconnect the coax at the back of the TV.
Run the coax from the cable box OUT to the VCR coax IN.

Add another piece of coax from the VCR OUT to the TV IN.

At the back of your TV, disconnect the Y/R/W cables that come from the DVDR OUT.
Connect the Y/R/W cables from the DVDR OUT to the VCR front composite video IN.

Connect Y/R/W cables from the VCR OUT to the DVDR front composite video L2 IN.

To view the VCR output you will need to turn on the VCR and TV, and tune the TV to channel 3 or 4.

To view the DVDR output you will do the same as when you view the VCR output but select the front composite video input on the VCR.

However, if I'm reading this correctly, with this setup, when she is recording from VCR to DVDR, she won't be able to see the DVDR's menu overlay (like switching record modes, rec/pause on-screen-display, etc.)
post #17 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I feel that dare2be's diagram in Post #9 is 'almost' the best solution:
  • Splitting video with a Y-Adapter is a no-no.
  • Using the coax output vs the composite out is a slight reduction in quality.
  • Turning on the DVDR to see the output of the VCR shouldn't be necessary.
I'm not as computer graphics 'Techie' as the OP and dare2be, so, here's my ASCII-Text addendum to dare2be's diagram:

Code:
                         +----------VCR Composite IN
                         |  
                     +------+
                     |      |
DVDR Composite OUT---| A/B  |
                     |Switch|
                     |      |
                     +------+       +---------+
                         |          |Automatic|
                         +----------| 4-Port  |
                                    |Composite|----------TV Composite IN
                         +----------| Switch  |
                         |          |         |
                     |      |
 VCR Composite OUT---| A/B  |
                     |Switch|
                     |      |
                     +------+
                         |
                         +----------DVDR Composite IN

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #18 of 27 Old 02-01-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I've often split the video, but I don't have large or hd tv. An alternative would be what I suggested; run s-video from the dvdr to the tv. No s-video on the tv--- get a female s-video to male RCA adapter, or female to female if planning to use a composite video cable. The important thing is to be sure the s-video adapter and cables match.
post #19 of 27 Old 02-02-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have also split video. I would try that approach. If the video is degraded then go a more complicated route.
post #20 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Wanted you all to know I haven't abanoned this thread. Not feeling so hot and need a few more days. I'm going to print out the offered solutions, try to figure them out, and return with questions, I'm sure Thanks so much for the attempt to help so far!
post #21 of 27 Old 02-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginakra View Post

I'll be doing more dvd/hdd to vhs, than vhs to dvd, actually.

I respect that, but since you shared your problem here, I must ask why to VHS?
post #22 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you really need to split the video signal, I certainly do NOT recommend a "Y" cable to do it. I would suggest something like this for composite video, or this for S-Video.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #23 of 27 Old 02-06-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

I feel that dare2be's diagram in Post #9 is 'almost' the best solution...

...I'm not as computer graphics 'Techie' as the OP and dare2be, so, here's my ASCII-Text addendum to dare2be's diagram:

Code:
                         +----------VCR Composite IN
                         |  
                     +------+
                     |      |
DVDR Composite OUT---| A/B  |
                     |Switch|
                     |      |
                         |          |Automatic|
                         +----------| 4-Port  |
                                    |Composite|----------TV Composite IN
                         +----------| Switch  |
                         |          |         |
                     |      |
 VCR Composite OUT---| A/B  |
                     |Switch|
                     |      |
                     +------+
                         |
                         +----------DVDR Composite IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

If you really need to split the video signal, I certainly do NOT recommend a "Y" cable to do it. I would suggest something like this for composite video, or this for S-Video.

Naw - TOO MUCH MONEY!$!

Why spend ~$40-50 TIMES TWO when ~$9 will do.

I SEARCHed Monoprice first, no luck, then Meritline - BINGO!

Following my diagram above, the A/B Switches can just as well be A/B/C switches for
  1. $8.79 2-Pack: Blue 3 Way Audio Video AV RCA Switch with AV Cables Best Seller!
  2. $9.89 2-Pack: Black 3 Way Audio Video AV RCA Switch with AV Cables
ginakra,

What do you think? Are you 'IN' with this solution?? Are you feeling better???

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
DARN YOU Church AV Guy!!!

When I checked Meritline and found them 'On Sale', I had to PAUSE composing my reply and buy a few!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #24 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 01:19 PM

Liked: 11
From what I read about the DVDR 3576, it not only has the component out but also has composite out. Your easiest way to do the DVD to VHS is to hook the DVDR composite out to the VCR composite in.

Forget about the component out on the DVDR. I don't think you will find a VCR with a component in.

What you want to do is similar to what you did to copy a VHS tape to DVD. (VCR composite out to DVD composite in) only to reverse the copy idea is to reverse the output/input.

If you also want to use the composite outputs and inputs in more than one type of situation, it would be easier to just get a 6-way or 4-way Video Control. I got a good one at MCM Electronics, I can input and attach inputs from 6 different composite units and output to 2 different sources. I have 3 VCRs connected as inputs and one DVDR as input and send the signals to my TV or to any of the other connections. In other words, I can be recording on a VCR and output that recording to any other unit's input, whether it is the TV to watch or another VCR to copy the tape or to a DVDRecorder to create a DVD.

You are correct in saying that your inputs and outputs must match.
Component is difficult to find on a VCR nowadays.

Since you are able to do a VCR copy to a DVD...you do have all you need as far as connections except you would have to connect the DVD composite out to VCR composite in (in other words, the reverse of what you have already done when copying in reverse (VCR to DVD)/

Here is a link to see what I mean about the Video Control Center.
Remember you may not want this many hookups but the general idea of what it lets you do with inputs and outputs is the valuable information.
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-7780-/50-7780
post #25 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

Naw - TOO MUCH MONEY!$!

Why spend ~$40-50 TIMES TWO when ~$9 will do.

I SEARCHed Monoprice first, no luck, then Meritline - BINGO!

Following my diagram above, the A/B Switches can just as well be A/B/C switches for[list=1][*]$8.79 2-Pack: Blue 3 Way Audio Video AV RCA Switch with AV Cables Best Seller!
.[*]$9.89 2-Pack: Black 3 Way Audio Video AV RCA Switch with AV Cables

I was assuming that you wanted to use two or more video feeds simultaneously. The switcher, for $5.00 is indeed a much better solution if you only need to use one output at a time. The "Y" cable allows you to use both outputs simultaneously, as does the distribution amplifier I linked to, but if you only need one video signal active at a time, then the switcher is a perfect solution, and being much cheaper, it is the superior solution. I have a similar device that I use, which is more expensive because it has a remote control rather than just a manual switch. I guess I'm lazy.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #26 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

I do believe that there are auto-detecting A/B switches to be had for a reasonable price, too. No manual switch, no remote.
post #27 of 27 Old 02-07-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

This is true, but still only one output is active at a time. With a distribution amplifier, they are all active simultaneously.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page