Suddenly a blue screen??? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You guys have helped me in the past and now I need you again. I have a Hitachi big screen TV, manufactured in June 2004, Serial: DESERIE that is connected to a Philips 3576 recorder (woja recommended it to me a few years ago, and I bought 2 of them -- theyre great!!). Anyway, my TV Remote ID (printed on remote) is CLU 432406. Just above the bottom row of buttons on my remote are buttons that say Video 1, 2, 3, 4. I don't know what the Video 1 is for. Video 2 is for my Wii. Video 3 is for watching Dish Satellite. Video 4 connects the TV to the recorder. It must be in Video 4 in order to record programming. I keep it on Video 4 t o watch TV cuz I record programs daily. A couple hours ago, while one of my programs was being recorded, the picture disappeared and now there is only a blue screen. I'm able to playback a DVD or a pre-recorded program from the HDD 3576, but cannot record and I'm ready to panic. I want to record the debates as well as favorite programs and don't know what to do. I don't know if the problem is with the TV or the recorder. I unplugged the recorder for a few minutes and that didn't help. I can't do a soft reset cuz the front of the recorder is about 68 inches from the electrical outlet and my arms can't stretch that far : ( I'm hoping someone can give me a solution. Please keep in mind that I'm a granny that's not technically savvy. Thanks!
Nana B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 112
It might be a HDMI handshake problem. If your satellite box loses the HDMI connection to the TV it could turn the screen blue. Try turning everything off, then turn on the TV first, Sat receiver second, and the 3576 last.
post #3 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

It might be a HDMI handshake problem. If your satellite box loses the HDMI connection to the TV it could turn the screen blue. Try turning everything off, then turn on the TV first, Sat receiver second, and the 3576 last.

Ken, I tried it twice. The Philips Logo appears very briefly, then instead of the TV program coming on like I'm used to, the screen turns blue again. - grrrr! : (
post #4 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana B View Post

Ken, I tried it twice. The Philips Logo appears very briefly, then instead of the TV program coming on like I'm used to, the screen turns blue again. - grrrr! : (

Did you accidentally hit the USB or DTV/TV button on the remote? I'm not sure something that would cause a blue screen to appear but I'm running out of ideas.
post #5 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
*Some* poss. causes of blue screen:

1. Digital tuner "wigs out"... press and hold DTV/TV button to cycle to analog tuner and back to digital tuner.

2. User entered (accidantally?) non-existent analog or digital channel.

3. Service provider moved channel... do a new Auto Channel Preset.

4. DVDR is turned off but TV still on DVDR input.

5. Cable comes loose or gets disconnected.

6. More, I'm sure.

NanaB, it's wajo, not woja this time.
post #6 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

*Some* poss. causes of blue screen:

1. Digital tuner "wigs out"... press and hold DTV/TV button to cycle to analog tuner and back to digital tuner.

2. User entered (accidantally?) non-existent analog or digital channel.

3. Service provider moved channel... do a new Auto Channel Preset.

4. DVDR is turned off but TV still on DVDR input.

5. Cable comes loose or gets disconnected.

6. More, I'm sure.

NanaB, it's wajo, not woja this time.

Sorry, wojO, : ) but I don't know (or remember) how to respond without clicking "quote."
I use a remote for each unit (TV, 3576, Dish) and the 3576 is the only one with a DTV/TV button. I held it down and the screen said, "searching." Then it showed "Channel DTV 4.1" Channel 4 is the channel the 3576 was set to in order to watch satellite TV or record programs. I might be wrong, but I thought it always said Channel 4, not Channel DTV 4.1 (??) Now when I click the info button it says "No description provided." That never appeared before. All the connections and wires are secure --- but I still have a blue screen : (
Nana B
post #7 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Well then, Nono B, I don't know what's going on.
post #8 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Does that mean you're out of possibilities? Oh noooooo!!!!

OOPS, -- I spelled your name wrong again and just noticed it. I'm really sorry. I didn't do it on purpose even tho it looks like I did.

I'll type it 10 times, just like back in school days when you missed a spelling word : ) wajo, wajo, wajo, wajo, wajo, wajo, wajo, wajo, wajo, wajo.

There, now I'll never mispell it again : )

Nana B.
post #9 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I think you need to change the channel on the Philips 3576 recorder to channel 4 not 4.1
Not sure how to do that but try just going channel down. If that does not work you need to change from the digital to analog tuner on the 3576 if possible.
post #10 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMI Guy View Post

I think you need to change the channel on the Philips 3576 recorder to channel 4 not 4.1
Not sure how to do that but try just going channel down. If that does not work you need to change from the digital to analog tuner on the 3576 if possible.

Wow, I actually did that by holding down that DTV/TV button. Nothing else has changed. I still have that darned blue screen.
Nana B : (
post #11 of 21 Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Hit the source button on the 3576 remote repeatedly and cycle through the sources, see if the blue screen changes.
post #12 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

Hit the source button on the 3576 remote repeatedly and cycle through the sources, see if the blue screen changes.

Thanks, tried it but that didn't work either : (
Nana B
post #13 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, tried it but that didn't work either : (
Nana B

But you can see the input source message on the 3576 change from "L1" to "L2" to "L3" to "USB" etc?
post #14 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

I use all 3 remotes for the following functions:

1. TV remote is used only to control viewing options. The Antenna button toggles between Satellite and local programming. Screen info then shows A4 for Satellite and B3 for local.
My local programming is thru an OTA antenna with a converter box. So I have a 4th remote used only to change local stations.
Video 2 button is for a Wii, Video 3 is for watching satellite only. Video 4 is for watching satellite thru the 3576.
Now when I press Video 4, I'm getting a Philips screensaver, but as soon as I press any button, it goes back to the blue screen and info button displays Video 4. Then I press the Antenna button and it does go to A4, but the screen is black and full of static, rather than the satellite programming as it should.

2. 3576 remote. I use all the buttons except the Source, HDMI or DTV/TV buttons. For timer recordings, the channel is set to 4 and I just have to enter the start and end times.

3. Dish remote is used for changing channels, to view program descriptions and TV Guide and to set timer recordings.
Yes, I have to set recordings on both the Dish and 3576 remotes.

I put all this detail here just in case one little item might be a clue to a solution. Thanks allot to all who come to my rescue!!

Nana B
post #15 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, that's right. Also see my posting of additional info in case that may help. Thanks!

This message was intended for Dare2be. I hit quick reply and thought it would go to him automatically. I'm not sure how to use features of this forum. Sorry!
post #16 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
The interaction of the intersections with the interstices at times obfuscates the complexity of the situation. If that sounds confusing, it's because it was intended to be.

Simplify.

Break it down to one step at a time.

Does the 3576 "talk to" the tv? Yes, you can play from the 3576 DVD and HDD.

Is a signal getting TO the 3576?

Is the satellite signal coming through to the tv? to the 3576?

If you have another simpler tv that can be connected, one input at a time, that may help diagnose or narrow the search area.

"There is always a logical explanation." It is probably a simple setting somewhere, but with a powerful multi-input tv and an equally powerful multi-function remote, if they get out-of-step, life can get frustrating. I'm too old (at 81) to whiz-bang a solution with a multi-function remote; I have to go back to the simple life and bring in one input at a time. Could I help you weep?
post #17 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

The interaction of the intersections with the interstices at times obfuscates the complexity of the situation. If that sounds confusing, it's because it was intended to be.

Simplify.

Break it down to one step at a time.

Does the 3576 "talk to" the tv? Yes, you can play from the 3576 DVD and HDD.

Is a signal getting TO the 3576?

Is the satellite signal coming through to the tv? to the 3576?

If you have another simpler tv that can be connected, one input at a time, that may help diagnose or narrow the search area.

"There is always a logical explanation." It is probably a simple setting somewhere, but with a powerful multi-input tv and an equally powerful multi-function remote, if they get out-of-step, life can get frustrating. I'm too old (at 81) to whiz-bang a solution with a multi-function remote; I have to go back to the simple life and bring in one input at a time. Could I help you weep?

TO RICHARD T.: Yes, your 1st sentence overwhelmed me momentarily : ) OK, so one step at a time:

I know that the 3576 talks to the TV b/c I can playback DVD's.

The satellite signal comes through to the TV, but obviously (?) not to the 3576 b/c when the TV remote is on Video 4 , the screen stays blue and the A4 channel remains black and full of static.

So the question is how do I confirm that and/or fix it.

I believe that as you say, There is always a logical explanation. Well, I'm technologically almost bankrupt. Im 71 and still want to learn, but it gets harder and takes longer, and in cases like this, almost impossible : ( I need all the help I can get.

And yes, you can help me weep. They say, Misery loves company : )

If you think of something I could try, please let me know. Thanks,

Nana B
post #18 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Can you unplug the satellite input to the 3576, and then plug that connection directly into the tv - to see if the satellite is outputting on that connection?
ie. go straight from the sat. to the tv, using the same connection (wire,etc) that you would use from the sat to the 3576.

If you do not see a picture on the tv doing this, then the sat. isn't putting out on that connection or you have a bad wire.
If you do see a pic on the tv doing this, then most likely it is a setting on the 3576 or that input on the 3576 is no good.

Can you change the input used on the 3576?
post #19 of 21 Old 01-31-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

Can you unplug the satellite input to the 3576, and then plug that connection directly into the tv - to see if the satellite is outputting on that connection?
ie. go straight from the sat. to the tv, using the same connection (wire,etc) that you would use from the sat to the 3576.

If you do not see a picture on the tv doing this, then the sat. isn't putting out on that connection or you have a bad wire.
If you do see a pic on the tv doing this, then most likely it is a setting on the 3576 or that input on the 3576 is no good.

Can you change the input used on the 3576?

TO PACOFORTACOS: It sounds easy enough to do. The way it is now - and has been since getting my 3576 about 4 years ago - is: Dish is connected to the TV. The TV is connected to the 3576. I'm leaving in a few minutes to babysit my great-grandchildren : ) and won't be back till late tomorrow afternoon, so I can't try it till then. When I come back to this forum, I will try to explain how all the RWY wires and black cables are connected. I'm getting my hopes up that a solution is near. Thanks for your help. Be back tomorrow.
Nana B
post #20 of 21 Old 02-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

A couple hours ago, while one of my programs was being recorded, the picture disappeared and now there is only a blue screen.

It's clear than the Dish STB can't feed your 3576. The problem is on the sat. decoder: maybe a short on the output circuit, maybe Dish updated the firmware so analog output (to the 3576) is now disabled, etc...

Since you seems a geeky girl, you will need to test one machine at time.

For the RWY wires, avoid the text, just take a picture and share it here.
post #21 of 21 Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
You've all missed the SIMPLEST solution. She is going to visit her grandkids. ASK THEM!!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page