Magnavox ZC320MW8B/F7 DVD recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just purchased this DVD recorder at Walmart for $98 and it turns out to be a great deal if you're into dubbing directly to DVD.

I already own the Magnavox 2160 & 513 HDD/DVD units, and this stand-alone DVD recorder seems to operate & burn DVD's the same way. (I had a look inside and the burner assembly looks the same as the one in the 2160, but I can't be sure it's the same part#)

It comes with a remote control that's similar to the 513, but with a few buttons mysteriously missing, and a couple of button locations moved around. So if you're familiar with the 2160 or 513 then this will be very easy to use. There's no tuner, no HDD, so you need an external video source to record from.

Plus there's a nice extra; if you don't enter a date or time into the DVD recorder's memory, then it leaves these things blank when it burns a title on the DVD. And if you're direct dubbing, set your burn length time to exceed the amount of time on the disc you're burning and you won't even see the "empty space" title box.

The particular unit I bought was the last one in stock, and it had signs of being returned, so the store kindly gave me a discount. I think what's happening is that the average consumer is confused about how to program these units, and then they don't read that the discs have to be finalized. The same thing happened when I bought my last 513 at Walmart, it was a returned unit. Perhaps Magnavox/Funai can stress the importance of finalizing the discs so people don't return these.

All in all the Magnavox ZC320MW8B/FZ is wonderful buy for only $98. Great for direct dubbing, or timer recording from an outside source. It's a wonderful addition to your hardware collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I really like my HDD DVDRs but I also like my non HDD DVDRs. For things that require editing you can't beat a HDD DVDR but for simple backups(VHS, DVD, etc.) where you don't need to edit anything, a direct to DVD burner saves the time required to copy from the HDD to DVD. Great price too!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I am looking for a simple, bare-bones DVDR and I think this might fit the bill. I want a device that will record (to DVD) Formula 1 races on Speed Channel via an output from a AT&T U-Verse DVR. I don't think I need an HDD or a tuner since I'll be coming right out of the DVR. I want to be able to play the DVDs on another device. Will this DVDR do all of this? Am I missing something? Is there one I should be looking at instead? Cost is important, so I long as I can perform the above tasks, I'm fine. Thanks a lot.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #4 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

I am looking for a simple, bare-bones DVDR and I think this might fit the bill. I want a device that will record (to DVD) Formula 1 races on Speed Channel via an output from a AT&T U-Verse DVR. I don't think I need an HDD or a tuner since I'll be coming right out of the DVR. I want to be able to play the DVDs on another device. Will this DVDR do all of this? Am I missing something? Is there one I should be looking at instead? Cost is important, so I long as I can perform the above tasks, I'm fine. Thanks a lot.

Yes, you will be fine if your U-Verse DVR doesn't have an output signal copy protection.

Anyway you could read this post for moar options: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=6936
post #5 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The basic Magnavox DVD Recorder is a good buy for those on a tight budget:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21678276

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 6 Old 03-15-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So I picked one of these units up from Wal*Mart a couple of weeks ago. After lot's of fussing around, it seems like I cannot record Speed Channel with this recorder. I've tried different cable combinations as well as different disc types.

I can record other channels just fine, but when I try to record Speed, I get a message that says "Cannnot record to disc in +VR mode" or something close to that. Doe this mean that Speed Channel is copy protected? If so, is there any way around this? Thanks for the help.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page