Lost the tracking on my Panasonic DMR-EZ48V - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic DVD/VCR Recorder,model DMR-EZ48. I played an older tape and I needed to adjust the tracking manually, however I overdid it and now I have lost the picture altogether. I tried to get it back by + and - and also tried the auto tracking by pushing the up and down channel buttons simultaneously. I would appreciate any help to get the picture back. I have tried to play other VHS tapes with the same result. DVD's play normally but not the VHS tapes. Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Every time you eject a tape(or push CH up CH down) manual tracking gets turned off and reverts back to auto. I'd guess the heads on your player needs to be cleaned. I prefer the wet tapes over dry but either should get your picture back. You can also take the machine apart and clean the heads with chamois or foam swabs(NOT cotton Q-tips which the fibres can get stuck in the heads) and some type of 0 residue head cleaner. Note if you manually clean the heads wrong you can break the delicate video heads at which point your machine is probably scrap. I'd try the tapes first which clear 99% of the problems.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Every time you eject a tape(or push CH up CH down) manual tracking gets turned off and reverts back to auto. I'd guess the heads on your player needs to be cleaned. I prefer the wet tapes over dry but either should get your picture back. You can also take the machine apart and clean the heads with chamois or foam swabs(NOT cotton Q-tips which the fibres can get stuck in the heads) and some type of 0 residue head cleaner. Note if you manually clean the heads wrong you can break the delicate video heads at which point your machine is probably scrap. I'd try the tapes first which clear 99% of the problems.

Here's a photo of the Panasonic VHS head drum. The heads are found along the lower edge of the rotating part:
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 02-06-2012, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I agree with jjeff. Your problem sounds like a dirty head issue, especially since you have tried other tapes and they all have the same result. A head-cleaning cassette (I too recommend the wet kind) should get things back to working order.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA