Old 02-06-2012, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
http://www.world-import.com/Panasoni...D_Recorder.htm

didn't think they made these anymore.

and why the variation of HDD sizes between North America and rest of world?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
It's a international Panasonic, based on the '06 N. American EH-55. Generally something like this is a old listing and as soon as you try and order it, it says out of stock. I was able to place it in my cart and got to the part where it asked for my CC and all went well, but I have a feeling that shortly after ordering that you would be told it's out of stock.
Note like all the international Pannys this doesn't have a tuner usable in N. America and no IR blaster, oh it's also lacking the third line input instead it has the SCART connector.
For info on the various international Panasonics, click my signature thread where internationals are first on the list.
Personally I'd spend the extra for a EH-59, if the EH-55 is even available anymore.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

It's a international Panasonic, based on the '06 N. American EH-55. Generally something like this is a old listing and as soon as you try and order it, it says out of stock. I was able to place it in my cart and got to the part where it asked for my CC and all went well, but I have a feeling that shortly after ordering that you would be told it's out of stock.
Note like all the international Pannys this doesn't have a tuner usable in N. America and no IR blaster, oh it's also lacking the third line input instead it has the SCART connector.
For info on the various international Panasonics, click my signature thread where internationals are first on the list.

and of course the black level is off too..................right?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I have the manual for the International EH55 with the 160Gb HDD (the US version had a 200Gb HDD). I have no idea about the specifics since I haven't really looked at it. I can confirm that the tuner is not North American analog, let alone high definition. I suspect the black level is off, and it definitely has the SCART connectors. A quick scan through the manual shows that there is a black level control on the US model, but it does not show up in the manual for the international model.

Given its llimitations, I would probably purchase an EH59 for $350 than an international EH55 for $350. I don't THINK the EH55 has any advantage over the EH59, and it uses the day-month-year (european) format. I can't CONFIRM it, but I'm fairly certain that it only uses the 24 hour clock, not the 12 hour AM/PM clock.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
billmich, I just noticed that the remote pictured on that web page with the international EH55 is not the remote that is shown in the manual. The one on the web page doesn't even have number buttons, so using it would be very difficult. I don't know what device that remote was originally sold with, but it was not the EH55 pictured. The incorrect remote in the photo would make me suspicious.
billmich likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA