No 5.1 from 515 tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got my 515 the other day and so far I love it. But when viewing HDD recordings or live TV thru the 515's digital tuner, the PQ is great but the audio passed to my 3808ci receiver is only 2 channel. This is true either thru a HDMI cable or HDMI with digital coax for audio. Is this a problem or normal operation? The DVD playback is fantastic on the Mit 55", with full DD 5.1 to the Denon.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaks View Post

Is this a problem or normal

Normal. Everything that comes in through the tuner is downscaled to 480i/2.0 stereo before you see it or before it is recorded. You can only get DD/5.1 out when you are playing a DVD.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Normal. Everything that comes in through the tuner is downscaled to 480i/2.0 stereo...

Not just through the tuner, EVERYTHING recorded on a standalone DVDR will be 2.0. Of course since since DVDRs don't have a optical or coax input(or discrete audio inputs) it can't be any other way.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Kelson. That's a bit disappointing, but not the end of the world. I would've thought with the digital tuner that live TV would be simply passed on thru the HDMI. Shows what I know! I guess it's really not needed with the tuner in the flat panel.

But anyways, it appears to be a great little machine. I bought it after reading the wonderful advice from you guys here. If it wasn't for this forum I'd be asking questions about some VCR/DVD combo unit.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaks View Post

I guess it's really not needed with the tuner in the flat panel.

If you connect the recorder to your display via HDMI, be mindful of the output resolution setting. The recorder has some upconversion circuitry that can upscale the output to 1080. But if your display is of any quality (especially plasma) it will probably do a better job at the upconversion if you simply feed it 480i from the recorder. You need to try the different output resolutions and pick the one that gives you the best PQ for your display.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
If you want to record HDTV or even just get the 5.1 sound you'll need a tuner card or external HD tuner box of some sort. Otherwise your stuck with 2.0 sound.
Check the threads here about what to do after recorders are gone, and the one about what people are using besides their beloved 515 or other DVD/HD recorder.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page