Philips DVDR3576H Hard drive problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I lost the HDD on my Philips recorder. I went through Wajo's post and replaced the drive with one of the Hitachi Deskstars. According to Philips the hard drive had to be formatted as FAT16 or 32. I went ahead and did that. Installed the new drive, powered it up and ran a Skip 079. It still says HDD Connect Status: Not Found. I opened it back up and re-checked all the connections and everything looks good. Still can't get the drive to work. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Did you try a short, 10-sec REC to the HDD... needs that to "activate" it.

If it can't do that, something else is wrong.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

I get a message saying "Can't record to this hard drive" and an E48 code? I had gotten it to "find" the HDD once but when I tried the 10 sec record the other night it gave me that same message. Since then I haven't got it to work. This is the second HDD I've tried in it. Rats.
post #4 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 AM
AVS Club Gold

I don't think you should hve pre-formatted a new drive.

Here's Auskck's installation procedure for SATA HDD (with IDE/SATA Adapter) for comparison to what you did... might find something there?, Auskck replaced many HDDs in his 3575 and 3576 machines... note "Very Important" step on REMOVING JUMPERS:

Installation procedure:
Please do yourself a favor, take your time it's going to work
Power off and unplug let sit for a couple of minutes
Remove the lid (top cover)
Touch case to dissipate static elec.
Remove ribbon and power cables. Remove drive bracket 3 screws. Remove old drive from bracket 4 screws. Attach new drive to mounting bracket.
Remove jumper from adapter (very important)
Note:Align the notches on the ribbon cable when attaching
Connect male end of IDE ribbon extender cable to the DVR’s HDD pcb board 40 pin (not required for 2.5" drive)
Connect female end IDE ribbon extender cable to the adapter 40 pin (not required for 2.5" drive)
For 2.5" drive DVR’s HDD pcb board 40 pin to adapter
Connect power cable to adapter.
Connect adapter to the new SATA drive
Attach 3.5" drive to mounting bracket
Replace mounting bracket note (you may only be able to use 2 screws can’t get to top screw with adapter installed(arthritis))
Place a piece of electrical tape over the dvr HDD pcb. Tuck the PCB in a safe place
Fold ribbon cable flat (not required for 2.5" drive)
A small piece of Velcro Tape will hold the little 2.5" drive in place
Plug in and turn on
To format your new drive
Perform Skip 0-7-9 as per thread notes.

|
|
|
post #5 of 25 Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Wajo,
I replaced with another PATA/IDE drive not a SATA drive so no adapter in play here. Should have been a straight swap, or so I thought. I even stayed with the same size, 160GB, to avoid any power issues. The DVD player works fine. Not sure if something on the main board went bad? I guess I'll try contacting Philips again and see what advice they can offer. Thanks for the assist.
post #6 of 25 Old 02-12-2012, 11:26 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randath View Post

Wajo,
I replaced with another PATA/IDE drive not a SATA drive so no adapter in play here. Should have been a straight swap, or so I thought. I even stayed with the same size, 160GB, to avoid any power issues. The DVD player works fine. Not sure if something on the main board went bad? I guess I'll try contacting Philips again and see what advice they can offer. Thanks for the assist.

hi randath....

i really suspect either a connection issue or a drive jumper issue.

1st, be SURE that you carefully check the flat ribbon connection for the drive.
it can be tricky, as the connector has a flip-up pressure tab. be sure the ribbon is inserted fully, properly seated, and right-side-up before snapping the pressure tab down.

2nd, if you have a volt meter, be SURE that you have both +5 volts and +12 volts at the drive's power connector.

3rd, be SURE that the jumpers on the REAR of the drive are set correctly. these WILL affect whether or not the drive is detected.

4th, try doing a main controller reset using the reset switch on the motherboard. after reset, power on the machine and set the clock. then try to detect the drive ( SKIP ) again.

5th, if the above fails, then connect your new drive to your PC and perform a low level format to see if that will help. do this NOT in Windows, but using one of the many low level formatters that can be had online... i typically use that provided by Maxtor, which boots from a floppy into a straight DOS environment.

forget the FAT 16 / FAT 32 stuff.... that's computer nomenclature for a file system which, i believe, these machines do NOT utilize ( at least not in the same fashion that a PC would )... the low level format will write 0's to the entire drive, sector by sector.

your DVDR SHOULD recognize a low level formatted drive, and SHOULD lay down the file system on its own after recognizing the hardware.

in any case, once the drive hardware has been detected, you SHOULD perform a manual record ( 10 seconds or so ) onto the drive. doing so should make the DVDR initialize the HDD's directory structure, if it hasn't already done so.
post #7 of 25 Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In March 2009 I upgraded my Magnavox 2080 from an 80GB hard drive to a 160GB hard drive. The original Western Digital 80GB hard drive jumpers were set to CABLE SELECT. So, I made sure that my new Seagate 160GB hard drive jumpers were also set to CABLE SELECT before installing the hard drive.

I made sure that I didn't pre-format the new Seagate. I formatted the hard drive through the Magnavox Skip 079 utility.

After making a very brief test recording the new hard drive was fully accessible.

My original report is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16094760

(I posted additional photos in several posts in the days following that post.)

The Magnavox 2080 is still in near daily use.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8 of 25 Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Checked the drive connections again. I did verify that the WD HDD that I took out had jumpers set to cable select. I looked up the Hitachi jumpers and I did have it set to Master. Changed the jumpers to make it cable select. Re-installed the drive, checked the cable connections again and still SKIP 079 says HDD Connect Status: NOT FOUND.
I didn't see a reset button on the main control board. Anybody got a picture of that? Still don't want to give up on it. I'll have to get a voltmeter to check power supply. Thanks guys.
post #9 of 25 Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

What kind of format did you do in your computer? Try a FAT32... no matter what the next theorist says! .

|
|
|
post #10 of 25 Old 02-13-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

The Philips Technician had told me to format to FAT16 or FAT32. I formatted to FAT32. This thing is stubborn.
post #11 of 25 Old 02-13-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Checked the drive connections again. I did verify that the WD HDD that I took out had jumpers set to cable select. I looked up the Hitachi jumpers and I did have it set to Master. Changed the jumpers to make it cable select. Re-installed the drive, checked the cable connections again and still SKIP 079 says HDD Connect Status: NOT FOUND.
I didn't see a reset button on the main control board. Anybody got a picture of that? Still don't want to give up on it. I'll have to get a voltmeter to check power supply. Thanks guys.

Whoa! First I've heard of a WD HDD in a 3576. Was that the OEM drive?

I don't know why but "cable select" sounds wrong to me.

Your first step after install should always be to select HDD then do a short REC to the HDD. Many people have said their new HDD showed no sign of life (OS couldn't see it) until after the REC.

|
|
|
post #12 of 25 Old 02-13-2012, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Cable select is what mine was set to as well when I did it. You can double check the sticky as all my info on the swap and getting it running is in there as I may have forgotten something after all this time. I do know it still works to this day on that old 250 gig refurb that originally came from Woot.
It seems to me that sometimes getting the codes to actually work was tricky and the quick recording once it is recognized is a must or it wont show any functions for the hard drive as I guess like said that sets up the file system it needs to know what to do with the drive.
post #13 of 25 Old 02-14-2012, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Whoa! First I've heard of a WD HDD in a 3576. Was that the OEM drive?

I don't know why but "cable select" sounds wrong to me.

Your first step after install should always be to select HDD then do a short REC to the HDD. Many people have said their new HDD showed no sign of life (OS couldn't see it) until after the REC.

hi wajo...

guilty ( lol )... one of my 3576's has a WD drive in it also.... i already re-installed that one into its permanent home, though, so i can't easily check the drive jumper settings. i might take a stab at pulling the CS, strapping it first as a master, then as a slave, to see if anything changes, as you may well be right about the CS thing... i've always ( at least with computers ) tried to just use either a Master or Slave setting, avoiding the use of cable select...

and you're correct about that 30 sec record thing... that happened to me once when i was experimenting...

i don't know for sure, but my sense is that maybe the skip 079 thing looks for drive hardware first ( the initial OK deal ), eg, it probably performs some sort of command to the embedded controller on the drive and looks for a response back, but not necessarily looking at how the drive is formatted. i could be wrong, though. if the OK deal says ' Not Found ' , i still have to believe there's some sort of connectivity issue, OR the drive in question may have a couple of other straps ( jumpers ) that involve disk size reporting and that might need to be either installed or pulled... one of those i am thinking of is the old CHS versus LBA stuff, where the drive had to be strapped to be compatible with older computer motherboards' BIOS limitations... there is also another jumper on some of the drives that enables a power up condition without spinning the drive up...

just a couple of stabs, here, i guess, but i still vote for either connectivity, or maybe power supply voltage issues...

this may also be a long shot that randath already tried, but an upside down flat ribbon will surely cause the issue. i can't count the number of times that i inadvertently did that with computers before the IDE connectors were keyed.

rgds,

ron g
post #14 of 25 Old 02-14-2012, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

The WD was the OEM drive in the unit. I looked up the model and the jumpers were set to Cable Select on the OEM. I had originally set jumpers on the new Hitachi Deskstar to Master and it did not work. Cables, I believe, are oriented correctly. The 40 pin is on a small circuit board, like DigaDo pictures on his unit. It won't install upside down. And the power supply is notched to show orientation. I will take a voltmeter home and check power supply.

When I try to record I get an error message saying "Can't record on this Hard Drive" and a code E48 shows in the bottom of the box. I have gotten the first replacement drive and this one to show "Found" at least once and was able to record (to see HDD on menu not grayed out). But then it reverts back to non responsive. So either an intermittant connection or something intermittant with the main board? Is there a reset on the main board?
post #15 of 25 Old 02-14-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Any chance that, while removing ribbon cables, you smeared the copper contacts by rocking those connector ends instead of pulling or working straight out?

|
|
|
post #16 of 25 Old 02-14-2012, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I was very careful pulling straight off and making sure it was lined up before reinstalling. I got a response back from Philips Tech Support telling me to set the jumpers to Slave because the optical drive is Master. Another dead end. Still won't record to HDD. I forgot the voltmeter. Will have to remember that tomorrow to check if I'm getting power. Back to the drawing board.
post #17 of 25 Old 02-15-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:

I was very careful pulling straight off and making sure it was lined up before reinstalling. I got a response back from Philips Tech Support telling me to set the jumpers to Slave because the optical drive is Master. Another dead end. Still won't record to HDD. I forgot the voltmeter. Will have to remember that tomorrow to check if I'm getting power. Back to the drawing board.

hi randath...

the cable i'm referring to is the thin flat film type ribbon that goes between the machine's main PCB and the ATA adapter board that plugs into the back of the drive. this ribbon can be quite picky.

1st, it only has contacts on one side, so no real electrical issue if you inadvertently install it upside-down ( it is NOT keyed ), but it will have no communication with the main PCB.

2nd, the connectors for this ribbon ( possibly on both ends, but i can't remember ) use a little snap-down pressure tab. at least one of the 2 ends is NOT a simple push-in job. you have to flip up the little tab, fully seat the ribbon, and then snap the tab down until it locks into place. if this is not done, the connection will either be intermittent or not there at all...

also, you might want to clean the contacts on the ribbon with a bit of 91% or better alcohol and a cotton swab, to ensure there is no greasy ( fingers and such ) buildup, causing a poor connection.

rgds,
ron g
post #18 of 25 Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

I took the recorder to the local electronics repair shop. They diagnosed it as a bad DVD/HDD control board. Told me the parts are no longer available. Philips tells me that parts are available through their affiliate Fox International. Looked at their website and it only shows accessories. Power cords, remotes, etc. but no internal parts. If I had a part number I could call their customer service folks and inquire. Got to see if the repair shop has a part number when I pick the unit up this weekend. The saga continues.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-24-2012, 01:57 AM

Quote:

I took the recorder to the local electronics repair shop. They diagnosed it as a bad DVD/HDD control board. Told me the parts are no longer available. Philips tells me that parts are available through their affiliate Fox International. Looked at their website and it only shows accessories. Power cords, remotes, etc. but no internal parts. If I had a part number I could call their customer service folks and inquire. Got to see if the repair shop has a part number when I pick the unit up this weekend. The saga continues.

hi randath....

well if the ' dvd/hdd control board ' is indeed bad, per wajo, you can order the burner / main pcb set from Funai...

rgds,
ron g
post #20 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Been a while since anyone posted here, but thought I'd update the thread. Followed these instructions, and my installation was finished and working great in just a few minutes.

I installed a new PATA / IDE 320gig Western Digital drive, it came selected to use "Cable Select", this was how the original drive in the DVDr was selected. I decided to stay with the ATA / IDE interface rather than update/upgrade to use a SATA drive. I have an unused 500 gig SATA which I might try to get an I/O adapter for and try next.

I did not remove the flex cable from the PCBA, just the cable/PC board unit from the back of the drive, removed the power cable, and placed some cardboard under the new drive so I could reformat and get it working without a full installation of brackets/screws only to find out I'd have to fidget with it for hours.

I plugged the unit into AC power, the DVD tray was closed, so I pressed [Open] on the DVD tray which powers on the DVDr. I pressed [Skip] 0-7-9 I got the menu which stated "No valid format" (or something similar) on the HDD,

Just FYI, it says press [enter] to reformat the drive, but it means to press [OK] on the remote.

I heard the drive access briefly, and the DVDr powered off in just a couple of seconds. Apparently whatever type of format it does, it does very quickly.

I powered on, and had to reset the time/date, and all my timer/program recording setups were all gone.

Pressed [rec] for a few seconds, checked the HDD menu, and there it was. Everything worked great.

I ordered a 320 gig to basically double my capacity, since this was so easy, I wished I would have opted for one of the 500 gig HDD's.

Can't help but wonder, what is the max HDD size it will recognize?

Anyway, .my install went without a hitch, which I know, it highly unusual for just about anything these days.
post #21 of 25 Old 11-26-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for detailed report!

500GB is max HDD size allowed by the "old" 357x FW, and all other newer models up until the very new 53x Series, which might be 1TB max.... no one has cracked a 53x case and  tried yet, and we don't even know what brand/model HDD they're using these days, but I suspect either Hitachi or WD.

|
|
|
post #22 of 25 Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 PM

I have several of the Philips 3576H units, and think they are great aside from a few annoying little problems. smile.gif One of these problems seems to be the HDD errors which start to occur after a while (typically a sign of cheap HDD's being used by the manufacturer), the other is the repeatable lockup in the operating code forcing a power cycle during specific editing key-presses (eg. alternating repeatedly between slow-frame-reverse and slow-frame-forward). Still, I wish I could buy a few more of these units!

Does anyone have a firmware update from Philips for these units? Is the "firmware" stored on-board in an EPROM or on the HDD like apparently on the 3455?

Since the HDD is formatted in FAT32, has anyone tried using common HDD scan and repair tools to fix / minimize soft errors in your recorded shows?

Finally, does anyone have a listing of the Error Codes (SE1, SE2, E40, E43, E46, E49, etc.) and what specifically they mean? I think the SE codes are System Errors forcing a restart (power cycle), while the E4x codes seems to all be HDD related, but I would really like to have a list of what all the possible error codes mean. I asked Philips, but they seemed unable to provide any technical information. I seem to get an E49 now during a two or more hours recording to HDD.

You guys seem to have a lot of answers. Thanks in advance for your help!
post #23 of 25 Old 02-25-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If you haven't already checked out THIS thread, I suggest you do. It not only covers the newer Magnavoxes but also the early Philips like yours. I'm quite sure Wajo has error codes listed and if you think it's the HDD causing your errors you'd always have the option of replacing it as others have done.
Note that link may take a little while to bring up, don't worry it should eventually come up but just takes a little while depending on your connection speed and computer, it's worth the wait.
post #24 of 25 Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM

OK, I will check out that thread, and hope I can find all the answers. Thanks!

Do you have any personal experience with the latest Magnavox units? Are they dependable reliable? I keep reading that this may be the last (8th) generation of them, and thinking that I should start buying if they are as good as the Philips units are.
post #25 of 25 Old 02-28-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My daughter has the first generation Magnavox(I believe 3rd generation Funai) which is working quite well for her. Others have generally reported good luck with the most recent models. If you need the digital tuner and want a HDD you really have little other choice and I believe it's a good one.
Opel GT? wink.gif Years ago I had what was referred to as a baby Corvette cool.gif Don't see many left in this part of the country though.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page