Panasonic DMR EH-55 just stopped reading DVD's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Our DMR EH-55 just stopped reading or recording to DVD's. The hard drive works, it will record, but I can't get it to copy to a DVD. I will put a DVD-R in and it will show as unrecordable. I first put in a DVD cleaner DVD to see if that might be the problem, but it won't even play. I have had it a long time but don't really want to go to another brand which I would have to do, as Panasonic isn't making these available anymore. Does anyone have a clue as to how I might be able to open it up and look for any obvious problems? Also, I haven't updated the firmware in awhile and the new stack of DVD's that I started using (coinsidently when the problem happened), are "up to 16X" speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 02-19-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If your EH-55 isn't even reading commercial DVDs then I'd say the laser has failed. In this case your best option is to send a PM(private message) to AVS member MICKINCT. He can do component level repair on Panasonic DVDRs and has repaired many classic EH-55s for fellow AVS members. Panasonic use to have a excellent $100 then $130 flat rate repair but that was discontinued a couple years ago and they no longer repair older HDD Panasonics(at least not after a wild goose chase which can cost you hundreds of dollars).
If commercial discs worked it might be worth cleaning the spindle on your drive(requires taking drive apart) but a total failure sounds like a laser failure which would require replacement.
Not sure what brand of blank DVDs you use but for best burns and laser longevity, 8x -R Tys(only available online from places like SMS) are your best bet. + format or landfill grade media like Memorex(CMC) are generally not recommended for our classic Panasonics.
http://www.supermediastore.com/categ...ite+Speed%3D8X
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/priva...ewpm&u=7545541
post #3 of 13 Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! If I can get it working, I will switch brands. I was using Costco...
post #4 of 13 Old 02-19-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearingman07936 View Post

Our DMR EH-55 just stopped reading or recording to DVD's. The hard drive works, it will record, but I can't get it to copy to a DVD. I will put a DVD-R in and it will show as unrecordable. I first put in a DVD cleaner DVD to see if that might be the problem, but it won't even play. I have had it a long time but don't really want to go to another brand which I would have to do, as Panasonic isn't making these available anymore. Does anyone have a clue as to how I might be able to open it up and look for any obvious problems? Also, I haven't updated the firmware in awhile and the new stack of DVD's that I started using (coinsidently when the problem happened), are "up to 16X" speed.

The DVD Drive servicing procedures are found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 13 Old 02-19-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Thank you! If I can get it working, I will switch brands. I was using Costco...

If you purchased them recently at Costco they were probably Sony white top inkjet printable 16x DVDs. I've had fairly good luck with those although they do occasionally grind in my EH-55, Tys never grind
post #6 of 13 Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Is the DVD drive making any specific noise or sound when it tried to read the disks you put in it? Can you describe the noise (if it's making noise)?

Panasonic is not making any folowup to the EH55, for the North America market, but you can get a workable replacement from B&H photo video here, and from J&R here. They are very similar to your EH55. Among other things, they do NOT have a usable tuner, so you can only use the line inputs, but the tuner in your EH55 hasn't been of much use to you for a while now, so I suspect you are used to that by now. If you are interested, I have a list of those issues I can post.

My EH55 laser pickup sent out a few months ago, and MICKINCT fixed it as good as new for me. Considering the value of the unit, I would certainly recommend you have it repaired.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 13 Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

I took your advice, and I have it back already, working just like new! MICKINCT did a great job, and there was a very short turnaround time!
I highly recommend him!!!
post #8 of 13 Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe I did.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 13 Old 03-02-2012, 06:50 PM

Liked: 14
Without revealing any trade secrets or whatever, when these laser units 'pack up' are they just repaired by MICKINCT or replaced with an aftermarket part? Just want an idea so i know what i can possibly do if mine fail in the future. I just want to know if they are replaced should i just get a few spares now or just not worry about it if the originals are always fixable? If possible i would like to be prepared for when/if it happens so if a replacement is availble now, it might be wise to get a couple incase when 3 years down the track it does fail and MICKINCT can not help.
post #10 of 13 Old 07-01-2012, 02:33 PM

My Panasonic dmr eh-55 has stopped reading dvds. little disc light remains on even if there is no dvd in unit. It will try to read a disc even if there is not one inserted.really love this unit for recording nascar races(been doing so since 1988). I have about 10 races still on the hdd. Does MICKINCT still work on these things if so how can i get a hold of him to checkout my unit?
post #11 of 13 Old 07-01-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skewming View Post

My Panasonic dmr eh-55 has stopped reading dvds... Does MICKINCT still work on these things if so how can i get a hold of him to checkout my unit?

Send Mickinct a Private Message.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #12 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Without revealing any trade secrets or whatever, when these laser units 'pack up' are they just repaired by MICKINCT or replaced with an aftermarket part? Just want an idea so i know what i can possibly do if mine fail in the future. I just want to know if they are replaced should i just get a few spares now or just not worry about it if the originals are always fixable? If possible i would like to be prepared for when/if it happens so if a replacement is availble now, it might be wise to get a couple incase when 3 years down the track it does fail and MICKINCT can not help.
I'm fairly certain that the laser pickup is basically like a light bulb that can burn out. No one fixes a light bulb, you replace it. I'm fairly certain that MICINCT replaces the part that has quit working, but you'd have to get him to confirm that.

Luke

post #13 of 13 Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Here are typical Panasonic mounted and unmounted laser assemblies:

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page