Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
You sick fiend... you just want to torture us...
post #3 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The weird thing is that Australia is the place that made it illegal to keep anything you recorded off TV. (You can record for time-shifting, but if you keep the recording, it's a no-no.)

I wonder if it has any type of inputs, so you can record stuff other than what's coming in on the tuner?

I'm gonna look this bad boy up. (And why in the world is it only a 500gb hard drive? Are they crazy?)

EDIT:

A CNET Australia review from early 2009 listed the price as over two thousand dollars, Australian.

It does have composite and S-Video inputs, but the component jacks' label was hard to read on the picture I found, so whether they're inputs or outputs I couldn't tell. (I suspect the latter.)

The PC World Australia review I found from about the same time did list the price as 500 Austalian dollars less.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

A CNET Australia review from early 2009 listed the price as over two thousand dollars, Australian.

Now you know exactly why it never made it to US shores.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 6 Old 02-21-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
We KNOW that these are availabel, what we don' tknow is, why are they NOT available here?

Torture us indeed. If it had HD component inputs, I would REALLY try to get my hands on one.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 6 Old 02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

We KNOW that these are availabel, what we don't know is, why are they NOT available here?

Torture us indeed. If it had HD component inputs, I would REALLY try to get my hands on one.

I'm assuming you mean you'd want to get your hands on one LIKE it, since Australia uses different electrical and broadcast systems than the US. The recorder likely wouldn't be useable here, even with an electrical converter powering it.

As for a similar machine here having or not having HD inputs, I wouldn't care.

The TV in my living room is this really weird hybrid. It was made with a digital tuner, but it has an actual picture tube and displays in standard def.

Suits me fine.

I've even looked at the composite output of a Maggie 515 on a high def TV (with the source having been a composite feed off a digital cable box), and that was with the TV set for "zoom" to bring a letterboxed picture up to fill the screen.

Still totally viewable, to me. (I imagine if the HDMI upscaling was used, it would have been even better.)

All I'd like is that some type of recorder, high def or standard, continue to be available to us in this country.

Does anyone know if that Australian machine (or one like it) is still being sold there, or has their source dried up too?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page