Recording on Panasonic DVD DMR-EZ485V- copyrighted material error message - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
With Timer Recording, the recording does not record at the time entered. Unit comes on, shows bunch of zeros and PAUSE in red, then REC in red comes on and then the machine shuts down. While shutting down get error message - Recording has stopped. Copyrighted material cannot be copied. I am just trying to record local station TV programs. Even when I try to do an instant recording, I still get the same error message and it will not record.

Ray Best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Are you OTA or cable.

Is it happening with everything you try to record or just this particular program.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #3 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Any local program. Had no problem recording programs before.

Ray
post #4 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Again are you recording from an antenna(OTA) or cable TV(Comcast, etc.)?
Also are you recording from the RF input or line inputs?
You could try a full reset(hold both the CH up and CH down buttons on the main unit for more than 5 seconds) but note this will require a new channel scan and resetting of several of your preferences.
If you are recording from an antenna and you get this error on every channel I'd suspect something really wrong with your recorder.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am recording from an antenna bringing in local chanels. I am using an antenna cable connection to the DVD/VCR Combo and RCA cables from the DVD to the TV.

Ray
post #6 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 80
In that case I'd try the reset I mentioned earlier, really nothing else it could be. I guess you could try a different brand or type of DVD too but that shouldn't really matter for recording OTA which should never really be CP'd.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Has anything changed with regards to the way it's connected to the antenna? New splitter, new cables, additional equipment now sharing the same antenna feed?

Also, is it "any program" on the same channel, or is it any program at all, no matter what channel?
post #8 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

No changes were made.
Ironically, today the unit is doing fine when recording without me having done a thing!
Thank you for the input.

Ray
post #9 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybest View Post

No changes were made.
Ironically, today the unit is doing fine when recording without me having done a thing...

Maybe your EZ485 was just having a buggy day. Its been known to happen.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #10 of 14 Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Perhaps a stray copy protection signal interfered, causing the blocked recording?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #11 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Perhaps a stray copy protection signal interfered, causing the blocked recording?

I've recently started having the same problem with my EZ485. I schedule it to record broadcasts (like movies from the local PBS station, or documentaries, or sports events on network channels. Periodically the 485 will not record, stating that it cannot record protected content. This started happening about a month ago. Funny thing is, I also have an EZ475, and it has never gotten this error trying to record broadcast programs.

Tonight I set the 475 to record a movie at 8 pm from the local PBS station. It did fine. I set the 485 to record the second movie (which starts right after the first one, and sure enough it came up with protected content error. This leads me to think there's something in the 485 firmware that is interpreting some broadcast signal to be copy protected, while the 475 isn't doing it. I might try to see if there's another firmware upgrade for the 485, although as I recall I updated both about a year ago.

The even wierder thing is that with the 485, when I noticed after a minute that it wasn't recording properly, I stopped the recording (which was in endless pause mode), and then manually started the recording - no problem doing that. Same movie that it wouldn't schedule a record session for. Go figure. I may have to resort to searching for a firmware update. Or focus on using the 475 for timer recording and the 485 for monitored recording.

PS-the first time this happened, I had to reset the 485, and it took a while for it to resume responding, like it really got thrown for a loop. And, as I recall, the 475 also needed a reset, but it recovered more gracefully, and I hadn't been using it much during that time. So it's possible there was some sort of power glitch that scrambled their tiny brains.

Only problem is, I don't know of any way of doing a firmware refresh on these. My experience is that once they've been updated, the machines will refuse to reload the update. Or am I missing something?
post #12 of 14 Old 07-27-2013, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veefre View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

I've recently started having the same problem with my EZ485. I schedule it to record broadcasts (like movies from the local PBS station, or documentaries, or sports events on network channels. Periodically the 485 will not record, stating that it cannot record protected content. This started happening about a month ago. Funny thing is, I also have an EZ475, and it has never gotten this error trying to record broadcast programs.

Tonight I set the 475 to record a movie at 8 pm from the local PBS station. It did fine. I set the 485 to record the second movie (which starts right after the first one, and sure enough it came up with protected content error. This leads me to think there's something in the 485 firmware that is interpreting some broadcast signal to be copy protected, while the 475 isn't doing it. I might try to see if there's another firmware upgrade for the 485, although as I recall I updated both about a year ago.

The even wierder thing is that with the 485, when I noticed after a minute that it wasn't recording properly, I stopped the recording (which was in endless pause mode), and then manually started the recording - no problem doing that. Same movie that it wouldn't schedule a record session for. Go figure. I may have to resort to searching for a firmware update. Or focus on using the 475 for timer recording and the 485 for monitored recording.

PS-the first time this happened, I had to reset the 485, and it took a while for it to resume responding, like it really got thrown for a loop. And, as I recall, the 475 also needed a reset, but it recovered more gracefully, and I hadn't been using it much during that time. So it's possible there was some sort of power glitch that scrambled their tiny brains.
Only problem is, I don't know of any way of doing a firmware refresh on these. My experience is that once they've been updated, the machines will refuse to reload the update. Or am I missing something?

The freeze-up of scheduled recordings with EZ series recorders when transitioning from PAUSE to RECORD is a design flaw that as been discussed many times in recent years. An example begins here in a 2008 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/830604/panasonic-dmr-ez17k-dvd-player-recorder/360_60#post_15008209

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #13 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The freeze-up of scheduled recordings with EZ series recorders when transitioning from PAUSE to RECORD is a design flaw that as been discussed many times in recent years. An example begins here in a 2008 thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/830604/panasonic-dmr-ez17k-dvd-player-recorder/360_60#post_15008209

Yes, I know, I had a lot of those with the EZ475 back in when I first got it (around 2009 as I recall). A few firmware updates later and it seems to have reduced in frequency quite a bit. And this freeze with the 485 is different, because it's accompanied by the "cannot record protected content" error message, which I never got with the 475.
post #14 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 46

A couple of my +RWs, I've noticed, will encounter this problem, returning a copy protection error warning when initiating a recording, timer or manual. Doesn't happen with RAM discs. But making another manual attempt, it will then start to record. Doesn't seem to matter what digital station it's tuned to. I strongly suspect that the signals are coming from Comcast. Sensitivity to whatever hoodoo CC is doing... (I must perform a channel rescan to ensure my ez47 will be ready to handle timer recordings as the tuner will lose channels, nearly ever other month, on an almost regular basis).

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page