Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I've not been able to do it and haven't heard of anyone else either.

I also tried this and wasn't able to "mix and match" remote controls at a friend's house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I recently set up a $10 Philips 7-device remote that works very nicely for not only DVDRs, but also TVs, AVRS, etc. It replaced FOUR sep. remotes here.

Info here.
post #63 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

My thoughts exactly, especially when I visit one of those "Sale-of-the-Day" sites. You'd expect a MAJOR manufacturing defect, like popped electrolytic capacitors in the power supply, but, from experience, that doesn't seem to be the case here.

I bought some refurbs, and followed the responses of others who also have, and it indeed appears to be a case of "User Inexperience / Too High Expectations / 'Fill-in-the-Blank'" since the majority of the units received are like new. Yeah, maybe they have a months worth of hours on the HDD, but the laser usage is usually low.

Are you thinking about buying one?

I think about getting one. I currently have 2 Pannys, one with an ATSC tuner. Neither has an HDD but that does bother me since I edit on the PC.

I tried a Maggy 2080 some time ago but the black levels were not correct when recording from the ATSC tuner, so I returned it. And there were comments about the 2160 having the same issues, so I stayed away from them. I have not followed the lengthy Magnavox thread but do you know if this is still a problem?

I don't save that much material & usually get it off the Dish DVR which does supply a full screen wide screen output via composite. And recording to a DVD-RAM disc makes it real easy to transfer to the PC, plus the RAM discs seem to last forever. That being said it might be nice to have another backup recorder.
post #64 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

The one nut I haven't been able to crack so far: When copying from a VHS, I do not want the !"/*%! date of the dub in the menu! I've tried renaming the title, but that's just for the first line. When I do an HDD to DVD dub, the dub date still shows up on the second line of title info next to the thumbnail. I tried the (untested in a 515?) SKIP+123 procedure to clear the clock (which of course makes it now impossible to do timer recordings), but nevertheless after an HDD to DVD HSD (High Speed Dub), a dub date of JAN/ 1/10 still shows up on the second line of the title description next to the thumbnail on the menu and I have no idea how to get rid of it. It doesn't merely "confuse relatives," it is an annoying and illogical intrusion of useless or contradictory information in the DVD menu. Had I known, this might have been a deal breaker for me - that's how much I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

When you do a SKIP 123, the Auto Clock gets reset to default, which should be OFF in the 515... that's where a default date could come from if ON or MANUAL is checked.

Did you check your Auto Clock setting after SKIP 123 before dubbing w/no clock and make sure it was OFF?

Since the unit is set to search for a clock signal upon first setup and at noon and midnight while in Standby, it shouldn't do that if there's no clock to ref., but it's prob. something to consider in trying to figure out how it's setting a date w/o a clock.

Just checked again, and the Auto Clock is indeed set to its default "OFF." The front display shows --:--, but what I assume must be the unit manufacture default startup date of JAN/ 1/10 still shows up on the second line of the title description next to the thumbnail on the DVD menu after a HSD and I have no idea how to get rid of it.
post #65 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post

Just checked again, and the Auto Clock is indeed set to its default "OFF." The front display shows --:--, but what I assume must be the unit manufacture default startup date of JAN/ 1/10 still shows up on the second line of the title description next to the thumbnail on the DVD menu after a HSD and I have no idea how to get rid of it.

One person who first wanted no date on family DVDs got it to work on a 357x, and I replicated it on my 3575. I don't know if anyone has used/tested it on a newer model. Interesting problem, requiring more tests... whoopee!
post #66 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

One of the regulars here, Ken.F IIRC, came up with an elegant solution - create multiple length HQ 'Dummy' programs. Lets say, in minutes, 20, 15, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1. Then, while you're HSD'ng the Main Program, add in as many 'Dummy Programs' as required to fill the projected 'Empty Space'.

I don't use dummy titles less than 5 minutes long any more. It takes at least that long for it to dub then to delete a title that short from a DVD. You have to RTR the last few minutes anyway so you aren't saving any time with a dummy title that short.
post #67 of 67 Old 03-16-2012, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

...I tried a Maggy 2080 some time ago but the black levels were not correct when recording from the ATSC tuner, so I returned it. And there were comments about the 2160 having the same issues, so I stayed away from them. I have not followed the lengthy Magnavox thread but do you know if this is still a problem?

When recording 'Clear QAM' onto the Mags HDD and/or burning the edited results to a DVD, everything looks fine. But, since the beginning of Feb, I've been using my 2160As as Verizon STBs feeding my ReplayTV 5XXXs via S-Video and there I notice the results are too dark. I raised the 'Brightness' on one of my unused Panasonic TC-L32C3 video settings and all is well for me.

I tried looking for a 'Black Level' setting on the Mag, like the one on the Panasonic EZ-17, but couldn't find one.

Recording 16x9A on MED on the ReplayTVs looks surprising good (to my old eyes). Yeah, if you look from ~2-3 feet from the screen, you can see a difference, but not from 12 feet.

You better make your decision soon - 'Supply & Demand' - prices are rising!

Good Luck!

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page