Please recommend the BEST DVDR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I realize time is running out - although Used units will be available for many years.

Anyway - I see the various Magnovox recommendations (wajo and others) - but do not know which is best.
I also see the Panny recommendations (CitiBear, jjeff and others) but do not know which is best.

Can I get a FINAL recommendation of the best Unit - that I can get a backup Fuse, Fan, and DVD drive for . . . and that is not likely to have a DVD drive that will burn out in 2 years like many of these do. I want one that will play PAL DVDs but I do not need to record in PAL.

Thanks a lot !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-22-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The Panasonic that would do most of what you want would be a international EH-59 or EH-69. It can play and record PAL but doesn't convert. That is if you play a PAL DVD it outputs in PAL(50 Hz), if you play a NTSC(60 Hz) DVD it outputs in NTSC. Like all Panasonics, replacement DVD drives aren't readily available and approach the cost of a whole new unit. The good news is the drives generally last a long time, I've never had one fail but people do report failures. I've also never had a fan failure but I'd think generic fans should be easy enough to find.
The Magnavoxes have the advantage of a digital tuner(no usable tuner on the Pannys) and cheap readily available parts. For you the downside is no PAL support.
Personally I'd use a cheaper DVD player to play DVDs, many on-the-fly will convert PAL to NTSC and use a DVDR for recording. In this case the Magnavox would work for you and have the advantage of user replaceable parts.
If you plan on doing a lot of editing or require RAM support any of the Pannys may be your best bet.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCdoc7 View Post

I want one that will play PAL DVDs but I do not need to record in PAL.

How often are you going to play PAL DVDs? Recorders don't often stand up to frequent DVD playback of any type, and if you want it to last your stated 2 years, you need to get a separate player or it just flat out won't happen.

Unless you play PAL DVDs only once in a blue moon.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 23 Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
My vote for "the best" goes to the Panasonic EH75V.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

Good luck finding one in good condition for sale, though, or an owner willing to part with one.

post #6 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I dunno, that one has a very small hard drive capacity. I'd go for the Eh55 myself.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
"Best" depends on what you want it to do. If you're recording OTA and like to do a lot of time-shifting, the soon-to-be or already discontinued Magnavox 513/515 is your only choice.

If you're dubbing from VHS or downloading camcorder stuff or something similar, a Panasonic DMR-EH59 or '69 might be better (international models with no tuner usable in the US).

Or you can hit the used market and look for an old Pioneer, Toshiba, Polaroid, Sony, etc.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. Mostly I record and play shows on the hard drive, and have NOT upgraded my Cable to High Def so that I can record anything. I do play DVDs from time to time, and used to burn a recorded show or compilation from hard drive to DVD about 2 times a month. But like others my PIO DVD drive died years ago.

As far as PAL playback - I need it for bit torrent burned DVDs and also purchased movies, shows, and documentaries - I "could" convert them to NTSC in my PC but it takes a while. Since my PIO is NTSC only I have a separate Phillips DVD player only for PAL DVDs. But I would like to take it out of my home theatre setup to simplify everything and have one less remote. So a new Panasonic Unit would allow me to once again burn shows to DVD and also to watch PAL.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Since my PIO is NTSC only I have a separate Phillips DVD player only for PAL DVDs. But I would like to take it out of my home theatre setup to simplify everything and have one less remote. So a new Panasonic Unit would allow me to once again burn shows to DVD and also to watch PAL.

Again, though, how often do you watch PAL DVDs? Recorder lasers aren't meant for playback. I mean, they'll work, they're just not designed with that type of usage in mind. So if you want to have it last longer than 2 years as you stated, you'll have to use it for PAL playback sparingly. Or be prepared to buy a spare recorder.

post #10 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

So a new Panasonic Unit would allow me to once again burn shows to DVD and also to watch PAL.

Right, if PAL is a must, Panasonic is your answer.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-23-2012, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by church av guy View Post

i dunno, that one has a very small hard drive capacity. I'd go for the eh55 myself.

+1
post #12 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...So a new Panasonic Unit would allow me to once again burn shows to DVD and also to watch PAL.

Yes, a Panasonic DMR EH59/69 would do all that you are wanting. I would have to agree with the others here who said that if you watch many PAL disks, then you should stick with the dedicated player rather than putting hours on the DVD drive in your recorder playing them.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #13 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Yes, a Panasonic DMR EH59/69 would do all that you are wanting. I would have to agree with the others here who said that if you watch many PAL disks, then you should stick with the dedicated player rather than putting hours on the DVD drive in your recorder playing them.

The gotcha though is the Panasonic doesn't convert, correct? (referencing jjeff's post a bit up there) Or does PAL/NTSC fall by the wayside if using HDMI?

It could be an issue if the display in question doesn't support a PAL input...
post #14 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott42 View Post

The gotcha though is the Panasonic doesn't convert, correct? (referencing jjeff's post a bit up there) Or does PAL/NTSC fall by the wayside if using HDMI?

It could be an issue if the display in question doesn't support a PAL input...

No, the EH59/69 does not convert video between NTSC and PAL. It will record video in either format, but the format that the video stream was in originally, that is what it stays. It will write DVDs disks in either format, and will playback DVDs in either format, but the playback video stream will be limited to the format that was recorded. My machines have been made region free, and I assume they all have been modified in the same way.

Re: NTSC/PAL and high def: That's a good question I'll need to research. I don't know if high def PAL is identical to high def NTSC. I'll let you know, though it's rather difficult for me because all of my high def TVs are PAL compatable. I haven't found a signal tha they won't display properly. Too bad!

Luke

post #15 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Re: NTSC/PAL and high def: That's a good question I'll need to research. I don't know if high def PAL is identical to high def NTSC. I'll let you know, though it's rather difficult for me because all of my high def TVs are PAL compatable. I haven't found a signal tha they won't display properly. Too bad!

I guess there's not something like HD NTSC or HD PAL, just ATSC and DVB
post #16 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

PAL is based on 50hz and NTSC 60hz, HD or not. Smaller brands(Vizio being the most know) are able to support 50Hz but not brands like Sony, Panasonic or Samsung.
ATSC and DVB are RF designations.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

PAL is based on 50hz and NTSC 60hz, HD or not. Smaller brands(Vizio being the most know) are able to support 50Hz but not brands like Sony, Panasonic or Samsung.

Excellent!, BTW ever existed NTSC HD channels?
post #18 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ We didn't get HD until we switched to digital(ATSC for OTA or QAM for cable).
post #19 of 23 Old 02-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The 50Hz pal and 60Hz NTSC carries over to HD in frame and refresh rates.

60Hz systems USA/Canada among others get:

24p = progressive 24 frames per second
Mostly used for film to video transfers (DVD, BD) as most 35mm films are 24FPS. Starting to be used in special MPEG-4 cable and satellites transmissions.

30p = progressive, 30 frames per second
Sometimes used in broadcast, satellite and cable.

60i = 60 interlaced fields, 30 frames per second
The most common for broadcasts, satellite and cable.

60p = progressive, 60 frames per second
Starting to be used for special programming via cable and satellite using MPEG-4 delivery.

30 is actually 29.97
60 is actually 59.94.

50Hz systems, UK, most parts of Europe.

25P = progressive 25 frames per second
50i = 50 interlaced fields, 25 frames per second
50p = progressive, 50 frames per second
post #20 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 06:05 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:

Like all Panasonics, replacement DVD drives aren't readily available and approach the cost of a whole new unit. The good news is the drives generally last a long time

What would you say is a 'long time'?
post #21 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

My television lists the format (480i, 576i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p) but not the refresh rate. It seems to sync on anything I give it.

Luke

post #22 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

576i is standard def PAL, isn't it?

post #23 of 23 Old 02-28-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

576i is standard def PAL, isn't it?

Yes it is, and when I put ion a PAL disk in my EH59 and play it back, the television shows 576i, but as I said above, not the refresh rate. (We are on 60 Hz power, I wonder if that matters?

By the way, in terms of information passing through your screen, 480*720*30 = 10.3 mega pixels per second, and 576*720*25 = 10.3 mega pixels per second. They are exactly the same in terms of the information passed in a given amount time.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page