Philips 3575/Magnavox 2160 not tuning in unscrambled digital channels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the Philips 3575 and the Magnavox 2160

My cable system is going all digital and are not going to scramble the digital channels anymore except for the pay channels of course. Before they just sent out the local channels unscrambled along with the unscrambled analog channels as digital channel 7.1 or 9.1, 9.2 which these recorders could tune to with no problems.

Of course I was very happy to hear this until I tried to scan in the new unscrambled channels on the recorders.

Since they have unscrambled the other digital channels they are on the "whole" digital channel number like channel 20.0 or 30.0, not 20.1 or 30.1 and both of these recorders do not seem to pick them up when doing a channel scan or after a channel scan trying to tune them in directly by changing to the channels directly. Now the digital TVs I have do tune in these "whole number" channels with no problem.

Any ideas why these recorders do not tune in the channels with their digital tuners or if there is a way to tune them in, or if the newer DVD recorder models would?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
You can try a "Clean Tuner" procedure as described here.

I'd try tuning only the analog channels first with Channel > Auto Channel Preset (Analog/Digital) and see if that tunes the whole-number channels w/o any digital channels in memory.

EDIT: You should also try the "never-used" Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog) AFTER you wipe channel memory with the Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital) with coax OFF for both tuners (for the complete channel scan process), as described in the linked help file.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i have similar issues. Cox Las Vegas feeds the network channels unscrambled, and digital, in addition to their anaolg counterparts...

they do NOT feed the ' extended basic ' non-premium channels digitally as of yet; only analog..

So far, Cox Las Vegas has elected to squash all non-scrambled digital channels into about 5 higher up digital channels.

The result is that they ended up not only shoving primary ' .1 identified channels ' into secondary slots on the same RF channel, but also SPLIT primary and secondary channels ( x.1 & x.2 ) onto 2 DIFFERENT RF channels...

eg, my channel 5.1 is on RF channel 101, while my channel 5.2 is on RF channel 100.

the above scenario confuses the heck out of the Funai tuner in the following ways -

1 - direct entry of channel 5.1 cannot be done... the tuner locks into scrambled channel mode.

2 - using channel UP/Down on the remote results in the tuner landing on 5.2 FIRST, and on 5.1 SECOND ( when dialing channels UP )...

problem number 1 also occurs with timed programming, as the timed programming process does the equivalent of direct entry. so if i try to set up a program timer for channel 5.1, i end up with an hour's worth of blank screen.

the only way i could combat this was to manually remove the digital RF channel that had 5.2 as part of its compliment. luckily for me, channel 5.2 is just a secondary of the FOX primary 5.1 channel that carries weather, so no great loss.

the tuner in my Mitsubishi TV does not have this issue, and can deal with individual digital channels ( primary or sub-channel ) fine, although it DOES have other annoying isues that i won't go into here...

i'm not sure about the .0 stuff, other than suggesting that you manually add the RF channel designation... eg, if 32.0 is what you're looking for, try to ensure that it's really on RF channel 32, and then add that channel...

what might also be possible is that your provider is shipping that channel to you on some OTHER RF channel, but providing a ' designator ' of 32.0 ... in that case, you would need to locate the true RF channel, eg maybe 105 or something, and add that RF channel, in which case, if the Funai tuner locates it, it will then take the ' designated ' channel ( 32.0 ) and assign it properly.

sorry this is so drawn out, but hope it will help.

rgds,
ron g...