Panasonic recorder questions - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 59 Old 03-25-2012, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yay, my first DVD/HDD arrived 500gb hard drive panny with dual HD tuners. I am now $830 poorer
Being a 2010 model i thought it could have been a refurb, well i hoped it was not. Took a while to find one but found a shop had 18 left and ensured me it was new and it appears so. Have not plugged it in yet. Will fire it up later.

Will post some photos here or in a separate thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 Old 03-27-2012, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone know what model this is

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...vip=true&rt=nc

does not seem like a EH69/59

I was a little shocked after getting my XW480 yesterday that it did not have s-video in the front. After reading the manual for days before hand i just kinda missed it i guess. That makes me definitely want to get a EH69 now

There is so many features on this thing it will take me a while to figure out. Its a good boys toy to play with anyway.
post #33 of 59 Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I would say it's a EH-69 but looking at the bar code on the bottom of the box(in one of the picture) it looks like it might say EH-68. Both have a 320GB HDD and comparable features so I can't say for sure, maybe Luke knows since I think he has a EH-x8 model Panasonic, I only have the EH-59.
post #34 of 59 Old 03-27-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter

I can see a model number but cant read the last bit. I think it might be EH68?

Another question i have. When the pannys are made region free by Panasonic Australia or J&R or World import (who ever does the mod on the internationals sold in USA), do they put a chip in the unit or is it done by a special remote code? If its done my a remote code, if i reset any of my recorders to 'factory' or 'as shipped spec' Is that going to delete the region free hack and will i need to get it made region free again?. Apparantly the Australian models are shipped from Japan? China? set at region 4 (the box says 4) and then Panasonic Australia converts them to region free. I found out recently that its a legal requirement they are made region free here. I know Pioneer and Panasonic do it, and its the factories that push the region codes on us. Yeah so anyway i am just worried if i do a hard reset if it will set it back to region 4?
post #35 of 59 Old 03-27-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

Anyone know what model this is

It is a DMR EH67. One of the pictures has the manufacture date of December 2007, which make it an EH67. That is a VERY poor deal for $600, since a new EH69 can be had from B&H for $430, and the EH59 can be purchased. new, from J&R and B&H for $330.

I don' tknow how these things are made region-free, or if they revert to their original region if reset.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #36 of 59 Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well i am about to order a eh69 and i think i will get it from WI as i thought i saw somewhere on their site that they double box them for extra protection. Does anyone know if they come with english manuals? Are they the Asian or Middle east version or another region?. What region is GA-K? I looked at their site and they seem to be all legit and everything so i dont think i would have any problems. Gandhi appliances have them one ebay too, but if its true that WI double box, then i will definietly use them i reckon.
post #37 of 59 Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The EH-59 I ordered from B&H was meant for the middle east and yes it had a English manual included. WI is legit, I don't believe anyone here has ordered from Gandhi but I have heard of them for a while so they aren't new.
post #38 of 59 Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I have purchased at least two of my DVD recorders from W-I, and I have had no problems with them at all. They are very professional. I don't remember the packaging, it has been a while. My machines came with English and another language, French, or maybe Arabic. They were region-free, and came with the extremely cheap power adapter (two pins to two blades). According to the W-I web site, the region-free "mod" that they do is guaranteed for the life of the machine. I know of someone whose Panasonic DVD reorder from W-I broke, and they sent it back to W-I for repair. It took a while, but they got it back in working order with all their recorded material still intact on the hard drive.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #39 of 59 Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Ok i might give them a go. Their site seems professional as you say.

There seems to be different versions of the EH69 but all i know is i want the one with the 2 scart sockets.
post #40 of 59 Old 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There seems to be different versions of the EH69 but all i know is i want the one with the 2 scart sockets.

yes, there are multiple versions, but I think that they all have SCART connections. I have two manuals, one for the EH59/69 and another for the EH49/59/69. The first is for region 2, 3, and 4, while the second says it is for region 2 only. They both show the units as having two SCART connections.

I have never seen an EH49. I have no idea what the differences are between the EH49 and EH59, aside from the HDD size. According to both manuals the EH69 has a 320GB, the EH59 has a 250GB, and the EH49 has a 160GB HDD.

Luke

post #41 of 59 Old 03-29-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone got a current email for world import? I emailed them off their site but have had no reply yet.
post #42 of 59 Old 03-29-2012, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Anyone got a current email for world import? I emailed them off their site but have had no reply yet.

It's in the evening here in the US. They are probably closed.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #43 of 59 Old 03-30-2012, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

I emailed them 3 days ago

On the EH international models, is there definitely 4 AV input selections? I think it may be 4 plus DV? I am still trying to understand these SCART connections. From what i have read, the bottom SCART is only an input and you can select composite or s'video as its input. Then top SCART connector is ment to be a fully wired 21pin port that acording to wikapedia can accept input and output connections. How ever the panny manual only mentions output for that top SCART. It appears that is able to output composite, s-vid, RGB and i think component? not sure on the last one. Has anyone been able to record from the top SCART? I think its AV1? Is there menu settings to select if you want to input or output from that? Wish there was more UK members on here who could explain SCART connections a bit better. I am wondering if i could record a RGB signal from that 21pin SCART?
post #44 of 59 Old 03-30-2012, 04:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wish there was more UK members on here who could explain SCART connections a bit better.

You might want to try AVforums which is based in the UK and it's members probably know a lot more about SCART connectors. My EH-59 has the SCART connectors but I never use them, I only use the front and rear RCA and S-video connectors but I think??? their might be a menu setup option for the SCART connectors, I've never played with it.
This website has various SCART converters and I believe one has a switch to select input or output.
http://search.store.yahoo.net/videow...2Fnsearch.html
http://www.svideo.com/ada-scart-2-composite.html
post #45 of 59 Old 03-30-2012, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yep i have already ordered a couple converters.
post #46 of 59 Old 04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Victor B.
info@world-import.com

I haven't sent them an e-mail for quite a while, but that was who I corresponded with in the past, at that address. The name might have changed, but I'm sure the address hasn't.

Quote:

I emailed them 3 days ago

They were very prompt when I was corresponding with them.
Quote:

On the EH international models, is there definitely 4 AV input selections? I think it may be 4 plus DV? I am still trying to understand these SCART connections. From what i have read, the bottom SCART is only an input and you can select composite or s'video as its input. Then top SCART connector is ment to be a fully wired 21pin port that acording to wikapedia can accept input and output connections. How ever the panny manual only mentions output for that top SCART. It appears that is able to output composite, s-vid, RGB and i think component? not sure on the last one. Has anyone been able to record from the top SCART? I think its AV1? Is there menu settings to select if you want to input or output from that? Wish there was more UK members on here who could explain SCART connections a bit better. I am wondering if i could record a RGB signal from that 21pin SCART?

According to the manual, and in the actual selections with the machine, the EH59 has four AV inputs. I have only gotten three of them to work. The top SCART connector has not worked for me as an input. Using a standard SCART adapter, the signal was b&w, and very grainy. The other three work just fine. maybe my adapter is wired incorrectly.

I'm not sure what page 76 of the emanual means by the following, but the lower two informational tabs seem to suggest that AV1 is not wired for S-Video input, only composite. There is no mention of any RGB or component input at all. I have attempted to use the SCART adapter and composite video as input from AV1, but it didn't work for me.

Quote:

[For]Asia]and]Middle]East] Video in (SECAM/PAL/NTSC):
AV1/AV2 (21 pin), AV3/AV4 (pin jack) 1 Vp-p 75 ≠, termination

[For]New[Zealand] Video in (PAL/NTSC):
AV1/AV2 (21 pin), AV3/AV4 (pin jack) 1 Vp-p 75 ≠, termination

[For]Asia]and]Middle]East] S-Video in (SECAM/PAL/NTSC):
AV2 (21 pin), AV3/AV4 (S terminal) 1 Vp-p 75 ≠, termination

[For]New[Zealand] S-Video in (PAL/NTSC):
AV2 (21 pin), AV3/AV4 (S terminal) 1 Vp-p 75 ≠, termination

Luke

post #47 of 59 Old 04-06-2012, 03:26 PM

Liked: 10
I have used the Panasonic DMR-EZ47VK and the Panasonic EZ48VK the pictur are great for this product I am able to record both Premium channels as well as regular and make a copy of any DVD I want anytime I always record in HQ or LP at the most for a quality picture and you can enhance the recording with a stablizer in between both units ...Try it out it works...
post #48 of 59 Old 04-09-2012, 04:09 AM - Thread Starter

World import finally got back to me. i think i know what that black and white problem is. I have read about it somewhere. It means something is not quite, not the right connector/converter or something. Guess i will cross that bridge when i come to it but should be able to get an input into the AV1 some how, unless its one of the things they have disabled and not mentioned/explained it at all in the manual.
post #49 of 59 Old 04-09-2012, 09:11 AM

The DVD recorder on my Panasonic EH75 died - probably a failed laser assembly (clunking sounds; 4 higher ones, then 1 deeper one) as described on other AVSforum threads. Tried cleaning the laser lens and wheel, to no avail. Don't want to spend $175+ to get it repaired.

My daughter has 8 dvd's that she recorded on the EH75, which are not finalized. Any suggestions on how to get them finalized - without buying another Panasonic recorder or getting my existing recorder repaired?

Thanks.

Ted
post #50 of 59 Old 04-09-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Marco View Post

The DVD recorder on my Panasonic EH75 died - probably a failed laser assembly (clunking sounds; 4 higher ones, then 1 deeper one) as described on other AVSforum threads. Tried cleaning the laser lens and wheel, to no avail. Don't want to spend $175+ to get it repaired.

My daughter has 8 dvd's that she recorded on the EH75, which are not finalized. Any suggestions on how to get them finalized - without buying another Panasonic recorder or getting my existing recorder repaired?

Thanks.

Ted

If you post your general location perhaps some nearby Panasonic owner will offer to finalize the DVDs.

For information concerning repair for your EH75 send a private message to mickinct.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #51 of 59 Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 AM

I think your screwed you cant play them on any other DVD they should have been auto-finalized you can set that feature on the units.Why dont you see about getting another Panasonic it would be cheaper than fixing the old one and smarter...Good Luck.....
post #52 of 59 Old 04-09-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

World import finally got back to me. i think i know what that black and white problem is. I have read about it somewhere. It means something is not quite, not the right connector/converter or something. Guess i will cross that bridge when i come to it but should be able to get an input into the AV1 some how, unless its one of the things they have disabled and not mentioned/explained it at all in the manual.

Forgive my question, BUT, with AV2, AV3, and AV4 available and working properly, do you REALLY need to have AV1 function as an input? It just seems unnecessary. You really need four inputs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Marco View Post

Thanks.

Ted

First of all, does it make the sounds as shown in these clips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJHyOwiEAIM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vfs1m2mTKM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._ItV5RBUg&NR=1

If so, then yes, it is a bad optical pickup, which will have to be replaced.

What I have done once in the past is to go to a BestBuy and went to the shelf of DVD recorders. They had a Panasonic DVD recorder (of some kind) hooked up as a display model. I was able to finalize a disk using that machine. (I was on vacation, and 2000 miles from my personal Panasonic DVD recorders, and I didn't know jjeff's address, so I could not go there and bum a "finalize" off him. ) I know that doing this eight times might be stretching your luck, but it worked for me, once. Any Panasonic DVD recorder should be able to finalize your disks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

If you post your general location perhaps some nearby Panasonic owner will offer to finalize the DVDs.

For information concerning repair for your EH75 send a private message to mickinct.

Definitely contact MICKINCT about a repair. Your EH75 is definitely worth something and DEFINITELY worth repairing. If you don't want to fix it, send it to me (along with your eight disks, which I will finalize for you).

Luke

post #53 of 59 Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Definitely contact MICKINCT about a repair. Your EH75 is definitely worth something and DEFINITELY worth repairing. If you don't want to fix it, send it to me (along with your eight disks, which I will finalize for you).

I was going to say the same thing, if you lived near me I'd gladly finalize your DVDs and if you didn't want your EH-75v all the better, I'd take that off your hands too
Interesting idea of finalizing your DVDs at a local Best Buy, problem is many/most?? don't seem to sell or devote shelf space to Panasonic DVDRs then you'd have to track down a remote which isn't always the easiest to do. One last note is if your DVDs are damaged or were recorded with a DVD drive that was going out, some of the DVDs may not be finalizable in which case other than just playing on a Panasonic DVDR your only choice would be to play the DVD on a Panasonic DVDR realtime and record(with line input/outputs) to another recorder of some type.
post #54 of 59 Old 04-09-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was going to say the same thing...

I said it first!

It might have been an Ultimate Electronics, not a Best Buy, but whoever it was, they had a Panasonic DVD recorder on display, which I used for my purposes. The OP might have to look around a lot today to find a B&M store with a Panasonic hooked up and on display, but if he does find one, finalizing should not be a problem, UNLESS, like jjeff suggested, the drive was going out of spec when the disks were written. If that's the case, the OP is probably not going to be able to recover those particular disks.

Luke

post #55 of 59 Old 04-10-2012, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Forgive my question, BUT, with AV2, AV3, and AV4 available and working properly, do you REALLY need to have AV1 function as an input? It just seems unnecessary. You really need four inputs?

probably not, but its nice to have, would give me a challenge to try and work out how to get AV1 to work.

Certainly dont bin your DVD recorders. they may not be valuable now, but you wait, in 30 years time they will be a 'vintage' collectors item and people will be restoring and collecting them. I can guarentee that. You may have moved on to other things, but there will still be guys re-living the 2000's and restoring and buying up old DVD recorders. Even if no lasers are available now, some guy will start up a repair shop and get new aftermarket lasers made somewhere and it will turn into a big business. This happens with most things. people collect and restore anything. Its a bit like VCR's now. Many 'specialist VCR' guys doing repairs and restorations on those now. There is probably warehouses all over the world with NOS VCR parts just waiting to be un earthed.

I was just about to bin a old 1978 Pioneer tape deck the other week, well i was half considering it, as it needs new belts and last time i looked in 2002 you could not get them. Then i looked online and theres many specialist vintage tape deck shops restoring these sorts of decks and there is new belt kits all over ebay.

So please, do not chuck out any DVD recorders, epecially good brands. Sell it on ebay, amazon, craigslist, your local paper, this forum, or offer it for free. People will buy old stuff even if its just to get a few decent parts off it.
post #56 of 59 Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

I think i have worked out why some people may have had problems inputing a signal to one of the scart connections. Apparantly the cheap $2 converter/adaptors do not transmit the colour signal and only the luminance and thats why you get a black and white picture. I believe you need a proper active type scart to s-video converter.
post #57 of 59 Old 04-19-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think i have worked out why some people may have had problems inputing a signal to one of the scart connections. Apparantly the cheap $2 converter/adaptors do not transmit the colour signal and only the luminance and thats why you get a black and white picture. I believe you need a proper active type scart to s-video converter.

It only gives you a B&W image using composite input too, so it isn't just the missing chroma signal from the S-Video line.

Luke

post #58 of 59 Old 04-22-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Strange. I need to find a EH service manual service manual

Which have below but it is the Euro version EC, EE, EP 5EG

Shows RGB in. So you could probably convert component to RGB and record that.

There must be more EH onwers on here that have played with the scart connectors more?

post #59 of 59 Old 04-23-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There must be more EH onwers on here that have played with the scart connectors more?

Like I have said in the past, there are three line inputs that work just fine without any fiddling. I don't think anyone has said that they really need four of them, especially when the amount of effort necessary to make AV1 work as an input is more than trivial.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page