Help M-vox 513/DirecTv Problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 02:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I just got a Magnavox MDR-513 and I hooked up Directv through line in using svideo and rca audio cables.Everything seems to work perfect except as I watch directv in any mode there seems to be a flash ( like a flash from a camera ) that will happen at random like every 10 - 20 seconds.
If I playback a recorded show and pause frame by frame you can see the one frame that the flash takes place.
I have tried alot of stuff like using all the line in's ,using different cables and nothing makes the flash go away.
The 2 Direct boxes I have, have no flash plugged into a vcr or straight to the tv.
Four years ago I used to own a Magnavox MWR 10D6 and it had flashes also and I thought it was just a defective unit and never used it again.
For the past 4 years I was using a Sony RDR-VX555 with Directv plugged in using svideo and I did not get a flash.
Does anyone have any idea what this is or what I can do to get rid of it?
I looked online and have not found one post about dvd recorders or Directv that sounds like this problem.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-02-2012, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

anyone?
post #3 of 8 Old 03-03-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does it happen on all channels, or just "cable type" channels? (If you get locals by your dish, do they also produce the flashes?)

You may be getting some type of copy-guard signal messing with your recording. Since it's happened on another Magnavox recorder, but not on a Sony, the Sony may not have recognized that particular type of copy-protection and had no problem. (This is why I wonder if you're getting the flashes on locals as well. Most of the time they won't have copy-protection.)

You might want to look into getting some type of video filter that will help make the picture more stable. There's info here on the DVD forum.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20556041
post #4 of 8 Old 03-05-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
mikepeluso, I'd like to be able to help, but in the many years I have been making recordings fromDirecTV to my Panasonic DVD recorders, I have NEVER seen this. I don't recall anyone else here mentioning i, nor hae I seen it discussed on the DBS forum I participate in.

Exactly what channels are you seeing this with, or is it all channels?
What are the makes and models of your DirecTV receivers?
What is the make and model of your television?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I know I have no idea what this could be.This is driving me insane because the magnavox 513 is the greatest device I have ever had but I get the darn flashes in every thing I watch/record.

I have tried 3 different tvs, so I would probably rule that out.
It does it on all the channels from directv, some a little more than others.
I have two different directv boxes.
Model number: D11 and SD-HBH
Like I said if I plug the directv boxes straight to tvs, into vcr or into the old Sony RDR-VX555 using svideo, I get no flashes.

Anyone have any idea if it could be an older dish on the roof or old cable wires from dish to box?
I have been a DirecTV member for a long time and neither has been replaced in a while.
Do you guys think I should see if Directv would be any help in figuring this out?

I am open to any suggestions or questions.
Thanks
post #6 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepeluso View Post

Yeah I know I have no idea what this could be.This is driving me insane because the magnavox 513 is the greatest device I have ever had but I get the darn flashes in every thing I watch/record.

I have tried 3 different tvs, so I would probably rule that out.
It does it on all the channels from directv, some a little more than others.
I have two different directv boxes.
Model number: D11 and SD-HBH
Like I said if I plug the directv boxes straight to tvs, into vcr or into the old Sony RDR-VX555 using svideo, I get no flashes.

Anyone have any idea if it could be an older dish on the roof or old cable wires from dish to box?
I have been a DirecTV member for a long time and neither has been replaced in a while.
Do you guys think I should see if Directv would be any help in figuring this out?

I am open to any suggestions or questions.
Thanks

You should prob. try installing the latest FW update, SuperFW 727V, as described here.

No guarantee that'll solve a weird "flashing" problem, but I can't think of any other internal Mag-caused defect not related to the system in which it operates... might require a return/exchange if an internal defect?

You could also connect a rabbit ears and text the Mag alone (disconnected from other input components) on a local network channel?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think what Wajo means is-

"You could also connect a rabbit ears and test the Mag alone (disconnected from other input components) on a local television channel?"
post #8 of 8 Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
No, I meant a local network channel like CBS rather than the local Bar Mitzvah channel so the odds of the broadcast having artifacts in it are reduced.

(Obviously, gotta scan for Antenna channels first.)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page