Pause during recording? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-04-2012, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if its possible to pause the dvd when recording from a VHS? I have 123 minutes of VHS footage on one VHS tape, but what I'd like to do is not include one 28 minute segment from the VHS so that I can use the better quality (120min) on the DVD. But that would mean I would have to pause the DVD recorder then fast foward the VHS to get to the other segment to start recording again. Is this possible? I will be using a Magnavox ZV427MG9 model. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullet3g View Post

I was wondering if its possible to pause the dvd when recording from a VHS?

Sure, you can do that. Just hit the pause button, on the DVD recorder's remote or front panel.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
^^^not familiar with that particular DVDR but you just want to make sure your pausing the DVD side and not VHS side when pushing the pause button. Most combos have a DVD/VHS button to toggle between the two sides. Also note if that particular combo has a one touch type of copy button it may not be possible to manipulate the recording or playback when in such a dubbing mode.
post #4 of 14 Old 03-04-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I was wondering if its possible to pause the dvd when recording from a VHS? I have 123 minutes of VHS footage on one VHS tape, but what I'd like to do is not include one 28 minute segment from the VHS so that I can use the better quality (120min) on the DVD. But that would mean I would have to pause the DVD recorder then fast foward the VHS to get to the other segment to start recording again. Is this possible? I will be using a Magnavox ZV427MG9 model. Thank you.

That Mag should get ~130 minutes on a DVD using real-time recording (RTR), like a VHS transfer, at SP rec mode.

Here's a chart on RTR and RTD with HDD/DVD Mags, which should apply to your Mag as well.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 05:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 36
2:10 is pushing it though, I don't trust any of mine over 2:07.You might get 2:10 but it's tough when you lose the very end of a program because it stopped recording. Sorry to nitpick but the OP might need to know.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter

Great to know. Thank you everyone. I will try this with the first DVD I record, as a test. I do need to try this, opposed to risk losing the last 5+ minutes trying to stretch the 123 minutes of tape. The VHS tape has (in order), a softball game, a basketball game, then 2 more softball games. I want to skip and not record the basketball game, so will try pausing the recording and see if that works. If not or I cant do that on my combo recorder, I will just have to risk losing a few minutes at the end. Thanks again everyone!
post #7 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

2:10 is pushing it though, I don't trust any of mine over 2:07.You might get 2:10 but it's tough when you lose the very end of a program because it stopped recording. Sorry to nitpick but the OP might need to know.

2:07 is normal for a Panasonic, but HDD Mags get 2:10 @SP or a little more in High-Speed Dub (HSD) or Real-Time Record (RTR) with no editing (internal Scene Deletes), and other Mags *should* get about the same.
post #8 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Is there not an SPP 2:30 hour mode on this model? You would then be able to have the entire program, unless you've already tried SPP and don't think it looks as good as SP.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #9 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
When attempting to edit videotaped material with a combo recorder (or any DVD recorder) it would be easier to connect an external VCR to the recorder's line input, play the videotape on the VCR and record to DVD from the combo recorder's line input. That will allow for starting/stopping, forwarding, rewinding, even swapping different videotapes so that one may assemble a DVD exactly to one's liking. (I did that constantly during my selective dubbing project, around 5,200 titles, before I owned HDD/DVD recorders.)

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #10 of 14 Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

^^^not familiar with that particular DVDR but you just want to make sure your pausing the DVD side and not VHS side when pushing the pause button...

Yeah, I should've looked up the model before answering.

I figured he was talking about recording from a separate VCR.
post #11 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Yes it does have the SPP mode (2-1/2 hours) which I will try using first.

I have it set up, using HDMI cable and both VCR and DVD work fine. Using Verbatim DVD+R discs, but need to play around with it before recording. Not quite sure if when recording from VHS to DVD which source should be on (VHS or DVD). Ill figure it out I hope lol
post #12 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 06:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes it does have the SPP mode (2-1/2 hours) which I will try using first.

I have it set up, using HDMI cable and both VCR and DVD work fine. Using Verbatim DVD+R discs, but need to play around with it before recording. Not quite sure if when recording from VHS to DVD which source should be on (VHS or DVD). Ill figure it out I hope lol

For 123 minutes, why not try SP first which can get up to 2:10 with real-time copying like you're going to do?

Most you can lose is a little time and a 30-cent disc.

You can also let the tape run and the disc record to its end. See this help file on this "Direct-to-Disc" (DTD) method that works very nicely for tape transfers.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 AM - Thread Starter

Im recording the first DVD for myself and used the SPP mode. Im going to be recording another to send to a friend and when I record that one, I will try the SP mode instead and risk losing a few minutes at the end. Will let you know if that worked or not, later.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-06-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Update: Tried using the SP mode (2 hours) to record my VHS to DVD which had 123 minutes. It recorded all of it fine. Great news considering the VHS tape is over 25 years old Thanks everyone for all the help earlier.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page