Magnavox DVD Recorder with IDE DVD Drive - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Magnavox MRV640 DVD Recorder (manufactured by Philips circa 2003) has a computer-type IDE DVD Drive that records only to DVD+R and DVD+RW discs, according to the Owner's Manual.

Here are a few photos:
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The Magnavox MRV640 DVD Recorder (manufactured by Philips circa 2003) has a computer-type IDE DVD Drive that records only to DVD+R and DVD+RW discs, according to the Owner's Manual.

Here are a few photos:

Did anybody notice the component inputs?

This recorder is simply the precursor to the MRV700, which is mainly known for being one of the few ever made with component inputs. Of course, it only records in SD.

Actually both this recorder and the Polaroid 2001-G (has component inputs too) use standard PC type burners, with a direct IDE cable hookup. The technology wasn't around then for adapters, or for DVD recorder specific burners like on the current Maggies. You could replace the burners with PC burners.

It's well known several Toshiba RD-XS models will work with PC burners, but an adapter PCB card is required and comes with the unit.
post #3 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevor View Post

Did anybody notice the component inputs?

I missed the component inputs when I was snapping the photos. But sure enough, they're there.

This Craig's List $10 recorder lacked the (Panasonic/Technics type) power cord, remote and manual. I've downloaded the manual from the Magnavox website. Perhaps I'll set it up tomorrow.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Philips DVDR72/DVDR75 has component inputs as well. Of course it only accepts/records 480i(480p?) signals.

I still have my DVDR72, but recently removed it from my rack.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Here are a few photos:

Was there a question in there somewhere?

I have a Polaroid 2001-G, and not only does it have component inputs, BUT, for reasons I don't understand, but like, it ignores any copy protection in the video signal. It also strips CP from any video signal that passes through it, so it works like a video filter. And yes, it only accepts 480i as an input. Its editing capabilities are Neanderthal compared to the Panasonics, but it works.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page