New DVD player with recording capabilities/hook ups - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 03-09-2012, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to buy a new combo dvd/vcr player with 'recording off TV' capabilities to replace my parents Sony combo player. Problem is, I can't figure out why the hook ups in the back of their current player have this black cable TV cable along with the red and white hook ups (the replacement player should have HDMI)* see picture. What should I buy as a replacement, and does it need to include the cable TV cable hookup?
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-09-2012, 05:43 PM

Liked: 14
The black cable in is from anntena or set top/cable TV box so you would need that but instead of the red/white/yellow you would use HDMI. The black cable is an input, the HDMI is an outout to your TV. It may help if you said what exact model player you are getting if you know. It will be pretty straight forward when you get it. Most manuals are really good these days and they have diagrams to show how to connect the unit to your TV. Its really idiot proof. Everything is labeled 'input' or 'output' I dont know what country you are in but VCR/DVD combo players are limited everywhere. You are really limited to Panasonic/LG/Toshiba. Also B&H and/or World Import still has some JVC's too. All of these combo units wont be around for much longer though i would say.
post #3 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

The black cable in is from anntena or set top/cable TV box so you would need that but instead of the red/white/yellow you would use HDMI. The black cable is an input, the HDMI is an outout to your TV. It may help if you said what exact model player you are getting if you know. It will be pretty straight forward when you get it. Most manuals are really good these days and they have diagrams to show how to connect the unit to your TV. Its really idiot proof. Everything is labeled 'input' or 'output' I dont know what country you are in but VCR/DVD combo players are limited everywhere. You are really limited to Panasonic/LG/Toshiba. Also B&H and/or World Import still has some JVC's too. All of these combo units wont be around for much longer though i would say.

careful now...

that black cable is connected to the ' tv out ' socket... this implies that the other end is connected to a TV and that the user is probably tuning to channel 3 or 4 to watch stuff on that machine...

the video line cables are, i think, connected to a ' line input ' set, implying that the other end of that set is connected to some video source device...
post #4 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
LL
post #5 of 19 Old 03-10-2012, 08:12 PM

Ha, i got it a little wrong, i knew i should have said it a different way but what i was impling is that that cable contects to either a TV with a tuner or a set top box. In any case any recorder you get wiill have RF in an out.

so by saying
Quote:
'recording off TV'

I would assume your TV has a tuner in it and then you want to feed that signal into the recorder.

Some people connect their annena or set top box straight to the recorder and then output to the TV. Some feed the TV's output into the recorder and do it that way.

Any HDMI socket on the recorder will be an OUTPUT to the TV non an IN.

To get 'TV into' the recorder you may have these options

1 - use composite/s-vid OUT terminals on your TV if using the tuner inbuilt in the TV or use the OUT terminals on cable/set top box and feed these to IN on the recorder. You could also use RF out terminal but the quality will be lower.

2 - Use the tuner in the recorder you get as the main tuner. This will depend on what recorder you get, what country you are in what you want to watch etc etc
post #6 of 19 Old 03-12-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed one big problem.

Only using the red audio cable? Uh-uh. Total no-no. All you'll get is the right audio track.

You need to use both or half your sound will be missing. (And no, you can't say "It doesn't matter to me", because TV these days requires both to be there on all stereo broadcasts. You WILL literally lose half your sound.)
post #7 of 19 Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Ha, i got it a little wrong, i knew i should have said it a different way but what i was impling is that that cable contects to either a TV with a tuner or a set top box. In any case any recorder you get wiill have RF in an out.

so by saying

I would assume your TV has a tuner in it and then you want to feed that signal into the recorder.

Some people connect their annena or set top box straight to the recorder and then output to the TV. Some feed the TV's output into the recorder and do it that way.
Any HDMI socket on the recorder will be an OUTPUT to the TV non an IN.

To get 'TV into' the recorder you may have these options

1 - use composite/s-vid OUT terminals on your TV if using the tuner inbuilt in the TV or use the OUT terminals on cable/set top box and feed these to IN on the recorder. You could also use RF out terminal but the quality will be lower.

2 - Use the tuner in the recorder you get as the main tuner. This will depend on what recorder you get, what country you are in what you want to watch etc etc

Cyclone, could I ask what TVs you've seen that have audio/video outputs? I know they're out there, but my impression is it's usually in countries other than the U.S..

Very, VERY rare to have a TV with A/V outputs. Unless someone's TV is one of those rare animals, they're not going to be feeding ANYTHING from the TV to a recorder.

Normally, TVs have input jacks only.

Please go easy on this guy. We're not looking to mislead or confuse people here.
post #8 of 19 Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM

Ok wrong terminoligy

but yes this
Quote:

1 - use composite/s-vid OUT terminals on your TV

was not right and i am not sure why i said that but i think i was thinking of a set top box.

what i am meaning to say is OUT from TV via RF or OUT from recorder via composite/s-vid to IN on TV.

By TV's out put i mean outputing the tuner via RF (usually just a loop out)

I could go an fix it but its been quoted now anyway.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-12-2012, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Very few TVs have "Monitor Out" jacks. Such an output would not be RF. I own two "Monitor Out" TVs, a Sony and a Samsung, both circa 2004/2005:
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #10 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
My '05 Panasonic LCD also has the "monitor out" jacks which I actually used for a short while to record OTA digital channels before getting my first digital tunered DVDR.
When shopping for TVs in '05/06 I specifically looked for the monitor out jacks. By '05 they were getting hard to find and I'd guess only 10% of the HDTVs I looked at had such a feature.
post #11 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Very few TVs have "Monitor Out" jacks. Such an output would not be RF. I own two "Monitor Out" TVs, a Sony and a Samsung, both circa 2004/2005:

Yes, but you own every piece of television equipment that has ever been made, and they all still work. I hate you, so there.

post #12 of 19 Old 03-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I had
-1985 JCTV (Citizen) 20 inch with composite monitor out.
-1995 RCA 32 inch with composite monitor out.

Still have a
- 2006 Toshiba 32 inch CRT with composite monitor out.

Twenty seven years ago I actually used the monitor out on my 1985 JCTV to record some channels to my 1985 SuperBeta Hi Fi as my SuperBeta VCR only had a limited number of tuner pre-sets. Haven’t used the monitor out feature since.
post #13 of 19 Old 03-14-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
My Panasonic TH-50PZ80U has composite outputs. My old rear-projection Mitsubishi WT-46809 had two separate RF inputs (Ant-A and Ant-B) with an Ant-A coax loop output, and it had a composite output with two separate sets of L/R audio outputs.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have a Sony Trinitron Wega from 2005-06 with ONE composite output ("Monitor Out").

That "output" has never worked, no sound, no video, no signal, nothing.

Will it be cheap try to fix it?
post #15 of 19 Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I guess what I should have asked is: What should I get them for a replacement?
They want to record television, and they want to watch their old VHS movies. Should they get a combo, or two separate units. They own a Samsung 40 inch LED TV. The recorder in the picture in an old Sony DVD/VHS player.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-DR430K...2284987&sr=1-1
but buy a separate VHS player? OR
Something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-DVD-VR...285085&sr=1-10
Does it need to have a tuner? This says tunerless. See my pic at the first post to see their setup now with a Sony DVD/VHS combo (non-recording) on a Samsung LED TV.
post #17 of 19 Old 03-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by relapse71 View Post

I guess what I should have asked is: What should I get them for a replacement?
They want to record television, and they want to watch their old VHS movies. Should they get a combo, or two separate units. They own a Samsung 40 inch LED TV. The recorder in the picture in an old Sony DVD/VHS player.

"They want to record television." From cable? From satellite? From ota (over the air)?

What outputs does the Samsung tv have?

Does the Sony still work? If it does, keep it and use it as your dvd and vhs player. VHS/DVDR combos are generally not recommended.

If you want to record ota, you definitely want a tuner, unless your tv has a tuner AND A/V OUTPUT that could provide the signal to the recorder.

For a (dvd) Recorder, one with a builtin hard disc drive (hdd) has been and I believe still is HIGHLY recommended in this forum for its reliability, flexibility and convenience. The hdd would allow scheduling for the entire month, 100 or more hours, and you could play back at will. If the program is a "keeper", you can dub it onto a disc in about 10 minutes, give or take. Else, simply DELETE it. While it is possible to record directly to disc, you are limited to the 2 to 4-hour capacity of the disc. If you want to babysit the thing every 2 to 4 hours recording time, forget the dvdr and stay with the vhs recorder.

If the price of the hdd/dvdr seems a bit steep, true, prices have gone up recently and doubtless will continue to soar, but keep in mind the regular dvd is write once; there are the RW versions which are rewritable, and more costly.

Your choice is a simple "Yes" or "No", not "Which" unless you go for used from eBay or ?. A "yes" would be the Magnavox 513 ordered on line from Walmart for $249 (latest price I saw). Or the Magnavox 515 if you can find it. The Magnavox has a tuner, hdd and dvd burner.

Best wishes.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

...For a (dvd) Recorder, one with a builtin hard disc drive (hdd) has been and I believe still is HIGHLY recommended in this forum for its reliability, flexibility and convenience. The hdd would allow scheduling for the entire month, 100 or more hours, and you could play back at will. If the program is a "keeper", you can dub it onto a disc in about 10 minutes, give or take. Else, simply DELETE it. While it is possible to record directly to disc, you are limited to the 2 to 4-hour capacity of the disc. If you want to babysit the thing every 2 to 4 hours recording time, forget the dvdr and stay with the vhs recorder.

If the price of the hdd/dvdr seems a bit steep, true, prices have gone up recently and doubtless will continue to soar, but keep in mind the regular dvd is write once; there are the RW versions which are rewritable, and more costly.

Your choice is a simple "Yes" or "No", not "Which" unless you go for used from eBay or ?. A "yes" would be the Magnavox 513 ordered on line from Walmart for $249 (latest price I saw). Or the Magnavox 515 if you can find it. The Magnavox has a tuner, hdd and dvd burner.

Best wishes.

Yes, HDD equipped models are still highly recommended. As you point out, they are becoming very rare, and therefore expensive. Aside from the Walmart price you have quoted, and a few from Amazon.com, the only ones left that are readily available are the gray market Panasonic DMR EH59/69 models from places like J&R and B&H (and a few others). Unlike the Magnavox recorders, the Pansoincs do not have a North American tuner, so an external STB with composite or S-Video outputs is required. Maybe J&R will get another shipment of referbed 513s and 515s.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #19 of 19 Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

I have a Sony Trinitron Wega from 2005-06 with ONE composite output ("Monitor Out").

That "output" has never worked, no sound, no video, no signal, nothing. ...

I faced this same situation:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post17994059

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17988075

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page