Pass through? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-10-2012, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What does it mean when people say they use a DVD recorder for pass through?

I have seen the DMR-ES15 specifically mentioned for this. Does only the US market one do this or would other markets ES15 have pass through too?

What other recorders also have pass through?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Pass thru simply means the output would be the same as the input. For RF it means you hook your antenna to the RF input and the same signal will be on the RF output(to run to your TV or another device).
For baseband video(composite/S-video) it would mean if you hooked something to the DVDRs IN it would be available to run to something else by hooking it up to the OUT.
I believe all DVDRs work this way, not just the ES-15(which I have 2 of). The ES-15 was a decent basic DVDR, I purchased both mine for $99 USD in '07 and haven't had a lick of problem with them, although u99 errors seem to be the most common problem.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I remember a passthrough discussion re the 'special' qualities of the otherwise unremarkable, but still serviceable ES 10 ... which I still have...I'm not sure if it applies to the panny ES 15.

Here's the link to the older discussion http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252109

on re-reading, Citibear said:
The special tape correction feature is only available full-tilt in the ES10, if you have seriously bad tapes thats the model you want to use as a pass-through. Panasonic did include the feature in the ES15 and ES20 as well, but it isn't quite as strong in these other units. For pass-through use its OK to buy any of these used at $30-60, because you only need the electronics to work: a dead burner isn't the dealbreaker it would be in a $300-500 DVD/HDD model you expect to be your primary recorder.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 262
The ES15 is mentioned a lot because when you pass video from a VCR through it and on to a capture card (or another recorder) the video is much more stable. Kind of like what a TBC does.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah i was meaning the AV pass through not RF. I knew it was something to do with filtering the signal before feeding it into another DVD recorder. I may have a chance to buy a new ES15 so i was wondering if it would be worthwhile, but it would be around $200 or so. or if i just get a TBC then i dont really need the ES15 then?
Old 03-11-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
A TBC would be a much better investment. As Artwire quoted it was the older ES-10 that had the good filtering qualities, I have a couple ES-15s and other than being a decent recorder I don't think the pass thru capabilities are anything to write home about.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah no worries will give it a miss. Want get a TBC-1000 probably.