Transfer from DTV to Verizon FIOS TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My current system with DTV: two standard Receivers (not HD); two VCR's; a standalone DVD Recorder. Typically I record info. (movies, concerts, etc.) onto Receiver hard drives, then upload (via cabling) stuff I want to save to DVD on recorder.

I'm thinking of switching to Verizon FIOS TV (save $ and better services)- I already have FIOS Internet. My question: will I still be able to upload to DVD recorder from Verizon receivers (Cisco or Motorola)? I can't get a straight answer from Verizon. Thank you.

Apologize if I'm in the wrong Forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
If they use the same type of cables (which they probably do), then yes.

What type of cabling?

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Composite, Component, S-VHS. Thanks for the response.
post #4 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
You might also try posting your question in the Verizon forum. They might have better, more detailed information there to help you. My biggest concern with switching from DirecTV is the ease of making recordings of widescreen material on my DVD recorder. On many cable systems, Verizon is unknown, the STBs will INSIST on letterboxing all SD outputs for HD material. DirecTV does not do this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Church AV Guy. I'll check on that.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
If your Fios box insists on letterboxing it's SD outputs then a relatively inexpensive box like this can take WS component and convert it to WS S-video(or composite). Another bonus is it will remove CP, if thats an issue.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #7 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks jjeff. Great idea and I see more stuff on this site I may be able to use.
post #8 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Monoprice is a forum sponsor and a great place to purchase cable and related things. I've had nothing but good luck ordering from MP in the past
post #9 of 16 Old 03-14-2012, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I copy shows from my FiOS Motorola STB to my DVD recorders all the time. I can record live shows, on demand programs and DVR recordings, even from the remote multi-room DVR box. The cable box composite and S-Video outputs will be 480i. 16:9 widescreen programs will be letterboxed so your DVDR recordings will have black bars on all four sides. All of the SD channels will be output in the 4:3 aspect ratio from the composite or S-Video outputs.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvsunz View Post

...I'm thinking of switching to Verizon FIOS TV (save $ and better services)- I already have FIOS Internet. My question: will I still be able to upload to DVD recorder from Verizon receivers (Cisco or Motorola)? I can't get a straight answer from Verizon...

As is the case in most situations, "It Depends..."

I have FiOS in NJ and here's what I've done with it:
  • S-Video OUTPUT from either the Motorola 7232 HD DVR or Motorola 2500 SD STB is 4x3LB - no ifs, ands or buts.
  • DIRECT CABLE into my 2160As provides 16x9A SD for all of the local OTA channels, plus a few of the 'Long Distance' OTAs.

I'm currently using two 2160As to feed 16x9A into two ReplayTV 5XXXs recording @ MED and the results are outstanding. As soon as I can get the time to upload my *NEW* 'Custom' .RID file to the ReplayTVs to directly control the 2160As via IR Blaster, I'll be set. (Currently, I have the 2160As recording 'Prime Time' BLOCKS @ SLP to conserve HDD space. It doesn't matter what speed you record at - the S-Video OUTPUT is *ALWAYS* the best quality.)
  • Non-OTA stations (i.e. A&E, USA, TNT, SyFy) are a problem since the best I can get from the DVR / STB is 4x3LB. So, I'm considering the purchase of a Monoprice 'Component-to-S-Video' Converter. Especially for when my *FREE* year of the Motorola 7232 HD DVR runs out. I'm thinking of 'Experimenting' with *ONE* Motorola 7100 HD STB for the 'Cable Only' stuff and using my Magnavox DVDRs for the OTA / Clear QAM channels (saving the cost of several STBs which would only provide 4x3LB anyway).
  • *MANY* folks come to forums looking for *CHEAP* solutions - there aren't any. There are INEXPENSIVE solutions though that require some effort to implement. I once spent FOUR HOURS explaining to a 'Newbie' how to accomplish what he wanted - his ONE MINUTE reply was "That's too much work!" Thus, never again...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Remember, it's only TV...
post #11 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

*MANY* folks come to forums looking for *CHEAP* solutions - there aren't any.

That is so entirely true. As distressing as it may seem to many, that is the way it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

There are INEXPENSIVE solutions though that require some effort to implement.

There's the rub. The "INEXPENSIVE solutions" are not solutions at all. They are merely work-arounds or kludges that require some degree of expertise, provide limited functionality and nowheres near the user experience the full price solution delivers.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #12 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Don't forget, guys-

There can be copy-guard signals on many channels which could make off-loading a show difficult if not impossible without a filter of some kind. The converters sold by Monoprice (or some other type of filter) might, in that sense, be considered necessary, rather than an option.
post #13 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

I copy shows from my FiOS Motorola STB to my DVD recorders all the time. I can record live shows, on demand programs and DVR recordings, even from the remote multi-room DVR box. The cable box composite and S-Video outputs will be 480i. 16:9 widescreen programs will be letterboxed so your DVDR recordings will have black bars on all four sides. All of the SD channels will be output in the 4:3 aspect ratio from the composite or S-Video outputs.

Thi is the kind of thing I was concerned about. Black bars on all four sides is so stupid it's assanine. At least with DirecTV, they have an aspect button to turn letterboxing on or off. My television deals with anamorphic wide screen in a 4:3 aspect ratio, just fine, recovering the original 16:9 aspect ratio (stretch mode) perfectly. I don't need a box that INSISTS on letterboxing HD content when viewed using the SD outputs, in an attampt to SAVE me from what it considers an inevitable bad aspect ratio. It should let ME decide!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Don't forget, guys-

There can be copy-guard signals on many channels which could make off-loading a show difficult if not impossible without a filter of some kind. The converters sold by Monoprice (or some other type of filter) might, in that sense, be considered necessary, rather than an option.

That's another good thing about DirecTV. So far, there have been no issues with content protection. I don't know how long that will last, but so far I haven't seen it on any channel. The HBOs have recently started issuing a weird warning if I attempt to play back some content I have recorded, and start the copy to my DVD recorder, then turn off the television, it stops the playback. For some reason, I need to keep the television on the whole time.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #14 of 16 Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Thi is the kind of thing I was concerned about. Black bars on all four sides is so stupid it's assanine.

And it looks like junk too. I had an older DVD of The 3 Musketeers that my daughter liked and was listed as "widescreen" on the box. Only problem was their version of widescreen was 4:3 letterboxed. So this displayed as "postage-stamped" on my 16:9 display. You lose quite a lot of pixels from the 480x720 frame that are wasted as black bars. When zoomed to full screen on a 50" plasma the resulting PQ looked like grainy crap. My daughter didn't mind, but I couldn't watch it.
Quote:

The HBOs have recently started issuing a weird warning if I attempt to play back some content I have recorded, and start the copy to my DVD recorder, then turn off the television, it stops the playback. For some reason, I need to keep the television on the whole time.

I'll assume the D* DVR is connected to your TV via HDMI as that is the only way it could know if the TV is on or not. It could either be CEC control or simply how they have programmed the box to go into standby if the TV is turned off. They try to be helpful to the low-end users by making the configuration decisions for them. But in doing so it frustrates the people who know exactly what they are doing and want more flexibility. It's a trend Microsoft established when they started dumbing down each successive version of Windows more and more.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #15 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Don't forget, guys-

My recorders are all Magnavox except one and I have never come across any CP. People who report it seem to be Sony and Samsung, etc users. I now have filters on all of my DVRs so if it has started recently then I wouldn't be aware of it. So you may be right.
post #16 of 16 Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...The HBOs have recently started issuing a weird warning if I attempt to play back some content I have recorded, and start the copy to my DVD recorder, then turn off the television, it stops the playback. For some reason, I need to keep the television on the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

...I'll assume the D* DVR is connected to your TV via HDMI as that is the only way it could know if the TV is on or not. It could either be CEC control or simply how they have programmed the box to go into standby if the TV is turned off. They try to be helpful to the low-end users by making the configuration decisions for them. But in doing so it frustrates the people who know exactly what they are doing and want more flexibility. It's a trend Microsoft established when they started dumbing down each successive version of Windows more and more.

Yes, it's connected using HDMI. The information message is weird though. It tells me to run a component line to the television instead! What kind of stupid advice is that--from a receiver box? The message is new, or at least, I have only recently come across it. No other channels give me that message, not even premium channels like Cinemax, Starz, or Encore. At any rate, it isn't a CP message but something else. If I leave the television on, I never see the message. It's just stupid and weird.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page