Blank DVD recomendations - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #61 of 68 Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Regarding Verbatim AZOs, I seemed to have more failures with the -R DVDs than with +R. I read somewhere that +R was better (at least on the Magnavox DVRs -- something to do with initializing the DVD for burning, IIRC.

So I switched to +R, and I do seem to have fewer burn failures, but I can't buy them locally. I can get the -R locally, so I'm trying to decide whether to try them again, or just stick to the +R and order them online.

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old Yesterday, 02:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 264
With a Magnavox and especially considering you've had good luck with them, I'd really suggest sticking to the +R type. Now if you had a Panasonic or Pioneer I'd say -R but with Funai based machines + seems to be the favored format.
Note Amazon is probably the best place to get AZO Verbatims and generally the + format is easier to find cheaper, they haven't had any great deals on -R Verbatims in quite some time In fact as I was basically out, so for my most recent purchase I ended up getting them B&M from Microcenter who had just one -R AZO 100 spindle for $21.99, they had tons of +Rs and I also got one spindle of the cheaper Life -Rs for $15.99 which burn perfectly well in my PC.
post #63 of 68 Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
With a Magnavox and especially considering you've had good luck with them, I'd really suggest sticking to the +R type. Now if you had a Panasonic or Pioneer I'd say -R but with Funai based machines + seems to be the favored format.
Note Amazon is probably the best place to get AZO Verbatims and generally the + format is easier to find cheaper, they haven't had any great deals on -R Verbatims in quite some time In fact as I was basically out, so for my most recent purchase I ended up getting them B&M from Microcenter who had just one -R AZO 100 spindle for $21.99, they had tons of +Rs and I also got one spindle of the cheaper Life -Rs for $15.99 which burn perfectly well in my PC.
Thanks! I'll stick to the +R.

I usually get them from Amazon now, but I used to get them at my local Microcenter, which even had them on sale once in a while. Now they only have -R, and only a couple of spindles of those.

From reading through this topic, I gather that there aren't any better quality DVDs available anymore? IIRC, I still have some MIJ Sony DVDs that I hoarded several years ago. Do these things go bad?

post #64 of 68 Old Yesterday, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Funny, my local MC had rows of +R AZO Verbatims but only the one -R 100 spindle which I got. When I asked if they had more they looked it up and said the computer showed that had 0.....
I've never heard anything about blank DVDs going bad, I suppose if they were stored in the sun, individually it might not be good for them, but I've burned 10 year old DVDs with no issues.
post #65 of 68 Old Today, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
I've never heard anything about blank DVDs going bad, I suppose if they were stored in the sun, individually it might not be good for them, but I've burned 10 year old DVDs with no issues.
I had about 15 blank Sony +RW discs left over from a 25pk i bought in 2006 go bad.They were stored on a shelf,in a cool spot,away from the sun.

I only used about 10 of them after i bought them,the rest i didn't use for years after i switched to T-Y -r discs.

Last year i finally decided to use them up,but no luck,none of my recorders would accept them.

Of the ten i did use,ALL still play well today.They are the longest lived discs i own...11 years now.
post #66 of 68 Old Today, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Last week I was looking for a title 1971 Vantage Point and found it in my library, recorded on a COMPUSA dvd-r on my first Panasonic dmr-e20 in 2002, and it played perfect, do not the vendor who made them for compusa.

MickinCT
post #67 of 68 Old Today, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1968 Post(s)
Liked: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
I had about 15 blank Sony +RW discs left over from a 25pk i bought in 2006 go bad.They were stored on a shelf,in a cool spot,away from the sun.

I only used about 10 of them after i bought them,the rest i didn't use for years after i switched to T-Y -r discs.

Last year i finally decided to use them up,but no luck,none of my recorders would accept them.

Of the ten i did use,ALL still play well today.They are the longest lived discs i own...11 years now.
I would be willing to bet that if you attempted to burn those 15 +RW disks in a modern PC burner, they would burn just fine. The burners they used in DVD recorders were never on the high end of the quality scale.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #68 of 68 Old Today, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Funny, my local MC had rows of +R AZO Verbatims but only the one -R 100 spindle which I got. When I asked if they had more they looked it up and said the computer showed that had 0.....
I've found MC's computer inventory system to be flawed. It often doesn't match what's actually in the store. I was at the local MC today, and they did have ONE spindle of +R AZOs, but it was the imprintable kind, so they were more expensive. Not worth it to me, since I never imprint.

I'll just keep an eye out for a sale at Amazon.

BTW, the blank media section at MC has really shrunk. Used to be one side of an entire aisle. Now it's about half that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)