PART 2 -Having issues with your Panasonic DVD Recorder???---- (read)!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 67 Old 07-20-2012, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Let me add (belatedly in this forum - there's an older post about this in the PVR forum section) my high regard and "two thumbs up" recommendation of mickinct for his recent services in resurrecting my DMR-E85H when the disc tray refused to open no matter what I tried after finalizing something I'd burned. The repair required shipping to/from Central Texas and so the return by UPS took a few days longer than the inbound shipment to him via FedEx, but overall it was about a week -- he turned it around the same day as was promised during our initial exchange of PMs and the subsequent telephone call which allowed good confirmation of circumstances involved in the component failure and his capability to repair or replace it. It returned with the archive of recorded programs on its HDD fully intact, the disc I'd burned and a test disc which Mike had burned -- far superior service over the alternate option of sending it to the folks in McAllen yet again.

Once again, the E85H works like a charm and I'm glad to have it back in service -- thanks Mike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 67 Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM

Liked: 10
I am so very pleased that through this forum I found Mike (MICKINCT) to fix my Panasonic DMR EZ-485V. I honestly cannot remember the last time I have experienced such good service. His knowledge and technical skills are unmatched. He responds immediately to calls and e-mails. The repair turn around time is impressive. He thoroughly answers questions and goes way beyond expectations in sharing knowledge. It has been a real pleasure to meet and do business with such a person. Oh, and my repaired unit works just fine.
post #33 of 67 Old 09-09-2012, 06:03 PM

Mike (MICKINCT) helped me out last month with one of my Panasonic DMR-E80H units when it stopped reading blank discs. Since then, I have become more optimistic about using DVD-RAM discs on the unit, and also about not wasting blank discs. I've been able to get a lot more tasks done because of him. IMO, Mike is proof that there are good people in the world. smile.gif
post #34 of 67 Old 09-14-2012, 06:35 PM

Add me to the list of those very satisfied with mickinct 's repair services. After years of wonderful service, the DVD drive laser on my EH75V suddenly failed. As others have mentioned as well, mickinct 's prices were reasonable, turnaround time very speedy, and communications with me top-notch throughout the entire process !
post #35 of 67 Old 09-19-2012, 08:45 PM

Well I have to add my voice to the chorus singing the praises of Mike (MICKINCT) and his repair jobs. I'm in New Jersey, about 200 miles from him and I sent my EH55 out to him on my lunch hour on Monday. He got the package yesterday, and had fixed it and sent the return tracking number to me within a few hours. I received the package late this afternoon, hooked it up and it's working like new again. All of this happened in just a little over 48 hours and I could not be more impressed. He was also in constant communication during the process, so if you need a repair, Mike is the go to guy.
post #36 of 67 Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
More wholehearted praise for Mike here! Back in July, I plugged in my DMR-E85 after having it offline several days, only to get the dreaded "PLEASE WAIT" message that wouldn't budge. "Oh, fu-...uuuudge," says I, knowing what that means. I hit Mike with a PM the next day, we talked on the phone later in the afternoon, and we agreed on the process and very reasonable price for the repairs. Then I got hit by work, travel, and other commitments and basically was never free when any of the local shipping places were open. I finally got a window to send the machine to him 2 weeks ago. After touching base with Mike to be sure the deal still held, I packed the thing up more safely than if I were shipping Mom's Wedgewood china and sent it to him.

The day he got it, he started working on it. For some reason, although the HDD was fine, all the programs on it got deleted (maybe some glitch during my multiple attempts to restart the thing in hopes that "Please Wait" would miraculously not appear), and Mike called me that night to tell me. No problem - it was all old stuff I didn't really need. He shipped the '85 back to me the NEXT day, scooting it out just ahead Hurricane Sandy, and it arrived yesterday. Had it up and running, and it works like new, which is nice because I take care of my gear and, as Mike observed, the outside of this 8-year old unit *does* look like new.

So anyway, hats off, thumbs up, and three cheers for "MICKINCT" - he is a class act, a very knowledgeable technician, a model business man - and a true gentleman.
post #37 of 67 Old 11-03-2012, 09:50 PM

A question: has anyone here had to have their unit repaired by MICKINCT more than once? My main Panasonic DMR-E80H unit seems to be on the fritz again, unfortunately. frown.gif It was working fine up until today. I was tackling all kinds of tasks, using the Panasonic RAM discs that I bought in 2006, and figured out that I could get them working again if I just let them sit through a few reads like he suggested. This became a little frustrating for me recently, since I was inserting them over and over again and getting the "NO READ" message, and even the "UNFORMAT" message on a few of them, and when I tried re-formatting them, it said "Formatting is failed." So, I went to Fry's and got two packs of new Panasonic RAM discs (it was the only brand they had) to see if they would work. None of them did. I wasn't able to record or format on any of them. And now, the DVD drive won't even read blank DVD-Rs, and whenever I insert a RAM disc it says "NO DISC". I even bought a brand new Philips laser lens cleaner disc that won't read on it either.
post #38 of 67 Old 11-04-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawing14s View Post

...My main Panasonic DMR-E80H unit seems to be on the fritz again, unfortunately. frown.gif It was working fine up until today. I was tackling all kinds of tasks, using the Panasonic RAM discs that I bought in 2006, and figured out that I could get them working again if I just let them sit through a few reads like he suggested. This became a little frustrating for me recently, since I was inserting them over and over again and getting the "NO READ" message, and even the "UNFORMAT" message on a few of them, and when I tried re-formatting them, it said "Formatting is failed." So, I went to Fry's and got two packs of new Panasonic RAM discs (it was the only brand they had) to see if they would work. None of them did. I wasn't able to record or format on any of them. And now, the DVD drive won't even read blank DVD-Rs, and whenever I insert a RAM disc it says "NO DISC". I even bought a brand new Philips laser lens cleaner disc that won't read on it either.

Start with the advice in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

Your E80H has one of the DVD Drives built into a surround structure making it very difficult to open. I suggest following the portion of the advice not requiring the opening of the DVD Drive.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #39 of 67 Old 05-30-2013, 06:03 PM

Three weeks ago my Panasonic DMR-EZ48V won't read DVD+Rs suddenly as I was recording, it just stopped. I had a hard time just getting it rebooted just to eject the disk. It has done this a couple of times before, but all it did was scrap the current track it was recording without harming the rest of the disk. This time it won't read any DVD, open, closed or new. It is making the 5 erp noises while booting up and trying read the DVDs instead of its normal pattern. On screen, there is a blue pop up screen message of, "Cannot read. Please check the disk." Then I click OK. The message on the face of the machine flashes "No" "Read" "No" "Read" etc. I started searching for new machines knowing this one has burned thousands of disks in the past 4 years & thought I killed it, when I found this thread. I signed up to AVS & PM’d Mickinct to see if he could fix it. He responded the next morning & we arranged a great deal, so I boxed it up & sent it to him for a reasonable fee. He replaced parts & I just got it back last night & started recording DVD’s again. It is working great like new. Thank you very much. smile.gif
post #40 of 67 Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawing14s View Post

A question: has anyone here had to have their unit repaired by MICKINCT more than once?

I might have had him do one of mine twice. I know that he has seen at least for of five of my machines, but I *DO* put a lot of hours on them. When I get them back, they are in proper working order.

A couple of weeks ago, I had an EH55 that I got from eBay die on me. I wasn't entirely surprised, that it happened, but it was different than any other failure that I have ever had before. Until now, all the failures have been a burned out laser emitter. This one was not that problem. It would recognize -RAM disks, and appeared to write to them (in realtime) but the recordings would not complete properly. It would not recognize pressed disks, nor would it recognize -R blanks. I sent it off to MICKINCT, and get it back as quickly as UPS would deliver it (I think Mike had it for a day or two at the most over a weekend). Since I got it back, I have been working it pretty hard and it's as solid as a brand new machine.

There is only one problem that Mike got totally wrong! eek.gif He's in Connecticut while I am in California. The shipping costs and time are terrible. Either he has to move, or I do. biggrin.gif

Mike is without doubt, THE go-to guy for these repairs.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #41 of 67 Old 08-25-2013, 06:26 AM

Hello,

My name is Bob in Attleboro, MA. I am having a problem with my Panasonic EZ48V and noticed you had MICKINCT repair your DVR.

Could you tell me how I can send an email to MICKINCT, please? I just joined this website and not sure how to contact people. Not sure if you have his email address.

Thanks so much,

Bob
post #42 of 67 Old 08-25-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbraza View Post

Hello,

My name is Bob in Attleboro, MA. I am having a problem with my Panasonic EZ48V and noticed you had MICKINCT repair your DVR.

Could you tell me how I can send an email to MICKINCT, please? I just joined this website and not sure how to contact people. Not sure if you have his email address.

Thanks so much,

Bob

You can send him a message here...http://www.avsforum.com/u/7545541/mickinct

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #43 of 67 Old 08-25-2013, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I left him e-mail message to contact me. thanks,

MickinCT
post #44 of 67 Old 03-17-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just want to express my appreciation for MICKINCT and the superior repair service he performed on my Panasonic E85H. When I first contacted Mike (based on recommendations here) I told him that an authorized Panasonic repair center i had taken the unit to over a year ago said it could not be repaired. Fortunately I didn't junk the unit and after sending it to Mike he had it up and running in less then a day - and all the files on the HDD were safe and intact! I was very pleased. If you need a repair I highly recommend Mike, he knows these units backwards and forwards.

- John
post #45 of 67 Old 03-19-2014, 07:36 PM

Liked: 11

Thanks to MICKINCT! I found this site via a search. I use these Panasonic models for my hobby in making and editing Hockey fight videos. Over the years I've purchased six of them of various models. They are simple and easy to use. I was in a bind as a couple have broken down over the years. I found this site/forum and all the great comments about MICKINCT and how he got their units working again. Many here attesting to his reliability. My experience was much in the same as the others. The communication was great and the repair was quick. A very quick turnaround and the unit is now working like it should.

Beetulz likes this.
post #46 of 67 Old 05-09-2014, 09:26 AM

Just wanted to bring this up the list so members can find me. thanks.

MickinCT
post #47 of 67 Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Okay, not wanting to beat a dead horse as it has been established that MICKINCT does very good work in repairing DVD recorders, Panasonic specifically, but other brands as well... BUT, I have another endorsement for his work.

I found an EH55 on eBay, broken. I was listed as non functional, but I got it anyway. The guy selling it thought it would be good for spare parts, maybe. He listed a lot of things that he thought were wrong with it, but when I got it, the only thing I found bad was the Achilles Heel of the Panasonic line, the optical drive. It was making the well known, beep, beep, beep, beep, BURP! noise. So I sent it off to Mike (MICKINCT) and he repaired it faster than I would have thought possible. (He got it on Saturday, and repaired it on Sunday, and it was on its way back to me Monday!) He also communicated with me through the process, even though we know each other well enough that I trust him and his repairs. Making sure that we have discussed what's up and what needs to be done is his standard operating protocol.

Anyway, it showed up today working perfectly, well, I haven't had a chance to test it out completely yet, but what I have tested works like new. It was well packed, and it all looked very good. The HDD had a lot of stuff recorded on it, 150+ titles, and much of it was very interesting. The original owner put a lot into the content on that machine, a real labor of love. Mike had managed to keep the HDD contents intact.

...A completely satisfied, and grateful, repeat customer.
billmich likes this.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #48 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I am trying to get in touch with MICKINCT. He hasn't returned my PM's and hasn't answered, returned my calls.
I hope that everything is OK, has anyone else been in touch with him or seen him make any posts?

Thank you for your time and considerations
post #49 of 67 Old 07-25-2014, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post
I am trying to get in touch with MICKINCT. He hasn't returned my PM's and hasn't answered, returned my calls.
I hope that everything is OK, has anyone else been in touch with him or seen him make any posts?

I PM'd him and talked to him on the phone on July 11. When were you last able to contact him?
post #50 of 67 Old 07-26-2014, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

The last I heard from him personally, was 6-24, and everything was just fine then. It's summer, maybe he's on vacation.

Luke

post #51 of 67 Old 07-26-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
The last I heard from him personally, was 6-24, and everything was just fine then. It's summer, maybe he's on vacation.
I'M back........

MickinCT
post #52 of 67 Old 07-26-2014, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
I'M back........

I wasn't worried...

Luke

post #53 of 67 Old 09-08-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
I wasn't worried...
I'm a new member of the forum with a DMR 100H that appears to have a failing DVD drive (through the drive door I can see what appears to be a broken belt). I'm not yet able to send a pm to MICKINCT so I'm hoping he will see this message and can contact me about getting it repaired.

Wayne
post #54 of 67 Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerw View Post
I'm a new member of the forum with a DMR 100H that appears to have a failing DVD drive (through the drive door I can see what appears to be a broken belt). I'm not yet able to send a pm to MICKINCT so I'm hoping he will see this message and can contact me about getting it repaired.

Wayne
Sent PM to member thanks. WAYNE did you get PM??

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 09-08-2014 at 02:21 PM.
post #55 of 67 Old 09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonerw View Post

Wayne

He actually HAS one of my units right now, so I should be more concerned than you. I have found him to be completely reliable, so I am not worried at all.

Oops, he literally just now PMed me. See...

Luke

post #56 of 67 Old 09-08-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
Sent PM to member thanks. WAYNE did you get PM??
Mike,

I received your pm - thanks for responding so quickly. I can't send pm's right now due to my limited number of posts (forum restriction). Also not in a position to call you until tomorrow (let me know a good time period to call you during). If you want to pm me an outside email address you can be reached at I'll get back to you tonight that way.

Thanks,

Wayne
post #57 of 67 Old 09-09-2014, 06:57 AM

Hi Guys,
Glad I found this recent post. I own a Panasonic DMR EH-55 and haven't connected it for a number of years now. I bought a new Plasma about three years ago and was too lazy and kinda lost interest in the whole making my own DVD 's thing.
So now I hear that Comcast is encrypting their signals. Does that mean that I can no longer record even standard def videos from their cable box?
My understanding is that if the HDMI is used the cable box will not out put signal to the component but may out put to the standard (yellow) video signal.
Is this thing just a brick now?

Anyway, thanks for any help.
Bob
post #58 of 67 Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackbottom View Post
So now I hear that Comcast is encrypting their signals. Does that mean that I can no longer record even standard def videos from their cable box?
This has been discussed extensively so I'll be brief. If Comcast has encrypted all the channels or has converted entirely to digital and eliminated analog broadcasting, then the tuner in your EH55 is useless and you can only record by hooking the analog output from your cable box to the analog input of the EH55. You would use composite (yellow) or S-Video and the red/white stereo audio cables. You can only record what the box is tuned to and it is highly probable that all 16:9 widescreen broadcasts will be 4:3 letter-boxed out the analog outputs which means the recordings will look like postage stamps with black borders all around on your HDTV. You can zoom to full screen but the PQ will suffer. It is also possible/likely that the analog outputs will not function if the HDMI is connected -- that is something controlled at the local level by your cable company and you will just have to try it to find out. You can make a composite connection to your display along with the HDMI and see if it is active or not and what the PQ is like.

Your alternative would be to purchase a new DVD recorder with digital tuner but its usefulness would depend on whether or not your Comcast has encrypted all the digital channels. If they have encrypted all the digital channels then a digital tuner in a new DVD recorder would be as useless as the analog tuner in your EH55.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 09-09-2014 at 07:35 AM.
post #59 of 67 Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 AM

Thanks Kelson,
I did find the other post discussing what you said. I could still do that, but since most of my cooking shows are now on youtube,I guess I am off to Ebay now. Thanks for the info.

Bob
post #60 of 67 Old 09-09-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
This has been discussed extensively so I'll be brief. If Comcast has encrypted all the channels or has converted entirely to digital and eliminated analog broadcasting, then the tuner in your EH55 is useless and you can only record by hooking the analog output from your cable box to the analog input of the EH55. You would use composite (yellow) or S-Video and the red/white stereo audio cables. You can only record what the box is tuned to and it is highly probable that all 16:9 widescreen broadcasts will be 4:3 letter-boxed out the analog outputs which means the recordings will look like postage stamps with black borders all around on your HDTV. You can zoom to full screen but the PQ will suffer. It is also possible/likely that the analog outputs will not function if the HDMI is connected -- that is something controlled at the local level by your cable company and you will just have to try it to find out. You can make a composite connection to your display along with the HDMI and see if it is active or not and what the PQ is like.

Your alternative would be to purchase a new DVD recorder with digital tuner but its usefulness would depend on whether or not your Comcast has encrypted all the digital channels. If they have encrypted all the digital channels then a digital tuner in a new DVD recorder would be as useless as the analog tuner in your EH55.
All of the above it true, but I would like to add that the statement "IF Comcast has..." is a temporary condition. It is my understanding that Comcast is going to convert to all digital, AND all encrypted. That is their goal, and not just them, but all cable companies, as far as I know. Collectively, they have cleared the legal hurdle, with the FCC allowing complete encryption, and they are definitely going to go in that direction. If you do get the Magnavox, its tuner will only be useful for a limited time. The analog inputs will still be useful, but as you say, probably with postage-stamped video output. If you can get over-the-air signals, the Magnavox will still work properly with those signals.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page