Magnavox MDR-513 Will Not Play Back Finalized DVD's Dubbed On H2160MW9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have just gotten a Magnavox MDR513H and have discovered that it will not play back DVD's which I dubbed from the HDD on my H2160MW9 (and I have a lot of them). When I attempt to play them back on the 513, I get a message that says "Eject disk, playback feature may not work on this disc".

These DVD's were all finalized on the H2160MW9 and play back fine on my other DVD recorder/players such as my Panasonic DMR-ES45VS. The 513 is the only device I have which will not play them. The 513 DOES play back DVD's that were dubbed and finalized on it's own drives however.

The DVDs I use are Taiyo Yuden 4.7GB, 8X DVD-R DVD's, not an uncommon type at all.

Can someone tell me what might be going on here? If this subject has already been discussed elsewhere in this forum, I apologize in advance. I did a search of both this forum and of the rest of the internet and was unable to find any other discussion referencing this situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
This is weird, bc the DVD are finalized and play back fine on your other DVD recorders...

Obviously there must be something wrong with the DVD drive. Is the 513 still on warranty?

Before any other action, you need to try to clean the DVD lens.
post #3 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

This is weird, bc the DVD are finalized and play back fine on your other DVD recorders...

Obviously there must be something wrong with the DVD drive. Is the 513 still on warranty?

Before any other action, you need to try to clean the DVD lens.

Thanks for the response. The 513 is a newly refurbished unit, refurbished by Funai and I bought it newly refurbished equivalent to new. It arrived straight from the distributor about a week ago and is just at the beginning of it's 90 day warranty. It is essentially a brand new unit right out of the box. For that reason, I don't want to tamper with the lens since it would probably void my warranty.

Since my original post, I have done considerably more testing and have discovered that *SOME* of the DVD's from the H2160 WILL play on the 513 and others won't. I have also found the same results with DVDs which I burned on my PC...some play on the 513 and some won't. The only type of DVDs that I haven't had problems with, at least so far are commercially pre-recorded DVDs (i.e. movies, etc.) issued by normal outlets, stores, etc.

The failures seem specific to particular DVDs, in other words the same DVD fails repeatedly on the 513. Furthermore, those same DVDs, which have NEVER failed to playback on the H2160 have also NEVER failed to play back on the Panasonics when I tested them. That would seem to me to rule out any kind of finalization problem.

Another point...as I mentioned earlier, I have always used the Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs of the same type and specifications and as far as I know, are about the best quality blank DVDs I can buy. The problems I am experiencing have not only been intermittent within the same brand/type of DVDs, I have been able to pin down that they have also been intermittent within the same cake box of blank DVDs (I keep records of which DVDs I have recorded came from which cake box). In other words, some DVDs from the same cake box fail repeatedly on the 513 while others from the same cake box play back regularly without problems on the 513.

This has become a real mystery and I guess a call to Funai service will be in order. I hate to go through the trouble of packing the box up and returning it for a warranty claim however but it may come to that. Also, I have a second 513 coming within the next week or two and it will be interesting to see if the same DVDs fail on that device as well.
post #4 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_111 View Post

The 513 is a newly refurbished unit, refurbished by Funai and I bought it newly refurbished equivalent to new. It arrived straight from the distributor about a week ago and is just at the beginning of it's 90 day warranty. It is essentially a brand new unit right out of the box.

No one really knows what "refurbished" means. Other than putting the returned unit in a box and making sure all the accessories are there, no one knows if anything else is done.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

...The failures seem specific to particular DVDs, in other words the same DVD fails repeatedly on the 513. Furthermore, those same DVDs, which have NEVER failed to playback on the H2160 have also NEVER failed to play back on the Panasonics when I tested them. That would seem to me to rule out any kind of finalization problem.

Another point...as I mentioned earlier, I have always used the Taiyo Yuden DVD-Rs of the same type and specifications and as far as I know, are about the best quality blank DVDs I can buy. The problems I am experiencing have not only been intermittent within the same brand/type of DVDs, I have been able to pin down that they have also been intermittent within the same cake box of blank DVDs (I keep records of which DVDs I have recorded came from which cake box). In other words, some DVDs from the same cake box fail repeatedly on the 513 while others from the same cake box play back regularly without problems on the 513.

This has become a real mystery... I have a second 513 coming within the next week or two and it will be interesting to see if the same DVDs fail on that device as well.

The problem might be from a specific lot of TY DVDs. The lot number is found in the silver area adjacent to the rings outboard of the clear hub area as indicated in the photo. TY 8x DVD-R lot numbers begin with "GG" and TY 16x DVD-R lot numbers begin with "GH."
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 12 Old 04-01-2012, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

The problem might be from a specific lot of TY DVDs. The lot number is found in the silver area adjacent to the rings outboard of the clear hub area as indicated in the photo. TY 8x DVD-R lot numbers begin with "GG" and TY 16x DVD-R lot numbers begin with "GH."

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a good idea. I checked the lot numbers and they were all from different lots however. In fact, I didn't even find two of the problem DVDs that had the same lot number.

Once I get my other 513 later this week I will test the problem DVDs on that machine and see if I get the same errors. That should help me narrow down whether the problem is specific to this particular 513 or not.

Also, worst case is that at least I can play the problem DVDs on the Panasonics (my H2160 is now a spare, as will be one of the two 513s). I'd rather not have to resort to that however.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion. It was a good idea. I checked the lot numbers and they were all from different lots however. In fact, I didn't even find two of the problem DVDs that had the same lot number.

Once I get my other 513 later this week I will test the problem DVDs on that machine and see if I get the same errors. That should help me narrow down whether the problem is specific to this particular 513 or not.

Also, worst case is that at least I can play the problem DVDs on the Panasonics (my H2160 is now a spare, as will be one of the two 513s). I'd rather not have to resort to that however.

You might want to try the SKIP 987 Mfgr's Process Adjustment described here?

You'll need a blank -R and +R disc for the process.

post #8 of 12 Old 04-02-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

You might want to try the SKIP 987 Mfgr's Process Adjustment described here?

You'll need a blank -R and +R disc for the process.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I received the second 513 today and the mystery is at least partially solved. The DVDs which wouldn't play on the first 513 DID play without problems on the second one. I had been concerned that there was some design change in the 513 line that was causing my problems but now I know that the problem is specific to this one machine.

I will try the SKIP 987 process you recommended as soon as I can get my hands on some blank DVD+R discs in the next few days. Right now, all I have on hand are DVD-R discs. If that doesn't solve the problem, I will put in a claim for service under the warranty.

Update: 04/03/12 - I tried the SKIP 987 with both DVD-R and DVD+R and it had no effect on the problem. The unplayable DVDs remained unplayable. I contacted the seller and they are having me return it for a replacement.
post #9 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Something's wrong with the original 513, and it needs to be refurbed again.

I'd take a stand and complain that a machine was sold as "refurbed" that still had serious issues.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-03-2012, 11:52 PM

Liked: 14
my 2 cents again...

bet it's got a dirty lens and is getting de-focused... would make it picky...

best to return in any case...

rgds,
ron g
post #11 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

my 2 cents again...

bet it's got a dirty lens and is getting de-focused... would make it picky...

rgds,
ron g

You're right, of course. Insisted on that with someone else the other day and here I am saying "It's junk!" this time.

Yeah. RKG's idea is an important one to consider (and to follow up on).

Use a laser cleaning system.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-05-2012, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

rgds,
ron g

Yep, done! It's already on its way back to the seller and they are sending out a replacement.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page