Magnavox MDR515H and Tivo Premiere XL - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 04-03-2012, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have Charter cable going into a Motorola MTR700 Tuning Adapter into the Tivo, with a cable card. How could the Mag.515 be used in this situation to schedule and record the same programs as the Tivo? I love my Panasonics, but I was lucky to snag one of these 515's from Wal Mart, online, a few days ago. They were gone in 5 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 04-03-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
From the sounds of things, the question isn't how to copy stuff off the TiVo, but how to record the same stuff on the Maggie at the same time.

In this case, if there are scrambled channels on the cable system, the Magnavox would require its own cable box. Some method would need to be used in making sure the cable box is on the right channel at the right time. (The Magnavox recorders have no way of controlling a cable box.)

The connection would be similar to the one Wajo describes, except that it'd be from the cable box (not the TiVo) to the Magnavox.

The possibility of copy protection is as real in this case as it would be trying to copy from the TiVo, so that end of things would need to be covered as described as well.
post #3 of 38 Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I want to record a program on the Tivo and the Mag, at the same time. Like the TCM channel that is converting from analog to digital, on April 15. I have been doing this with my Pan EH-55, but I can't figure out how to do it after April 15. Would the coax cable go to the tuning adapter first(as it does now), then the Tivo, then the Mag, or would you use a different route? What specific place on the back of the Tivo would you hook up to what specific place on the Mag? What specific cable would you use?
post #4 of 38 Old 04-04-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

Thanks. I want to record a program on the Tivo and the Mag, at the same time. Like the TCM channel that is converting from analog to digital, on April 15. I have been doing this with my Pan EH-55, but I can't figure out how to do it after April 15. Would the coax cable go to the tuning adapter first(as it does now), then the Tivo, then the Mag, or would you use a different route? What specific place on the back of the Tivo would you hook up to what specific place on the Mag? What specific cable would you use?

I'm not sure what you mean by "tuning adapter", because that term is sometimes used to describe a device meant to make a TiVo with cable cards able to get "switched video" channels in addition to those available thru the cable card.

Since I currently have no TiVo and have never had one that took cable cards, I have no idea how the coax gets connected. My understanding was that the adapter hooked up to the TiVo thru a USB port or something, and the TiVo simply took the cable coax directly to its cable coax connector.

Since you're looking to record TCM, I know that's got to be a scrambled channel on 99% of the cable systems in the country. I'll assume here it is on yours.

As mentioned, you'll need a cable box, and the cable box will need to have its own coax. There'll have to be a splitter before the TiVo, and one of the outputs can feed the TiVo, the other the cable box (connected to the Magnavox).

You may need an amplified splitter, depending on your signal strength. Such amped splitters can be bought at Radio Shack, tho' I'd advise getting something like an Electroline instead, if one is needed.

Again, since you say you want to record on the Maggie and the TiVo at the same time, and the TiVo is using a cable card to get channels (and apparently a tuning adapter for switched video), you can't hook the two recorders to each other.

Not unless you want to simply record from the TiVo to the Magnavox.

Your saying "I want to record a program on the Tivo and the Mag, at the same time" suggests otherwise. Sounds like you want the two machines to be operating independently of each other.

You'll need a splitter and two separate cable feeds. Also, a cable box for the Maggie if you want it to record TCM (unless somehow it's not scrambled on your system).

I would not advise using the TiVo as a source for your Maggie, as that's asking for trouble. If that's what you really want to do, you'd have to use Audio/Video outputs on the TiVo to feed the Maggie's A/V inputs (front or back).

I don't know what connectors your TiVo has, so I'm going to assume you do and will be able to note the colors of the various connector jacks and figure it all out.
post #5 of 38 Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. The Tivo records everything "scrambled" now, so I was hoping I could just pass the signal through the Tivo to the Mag., but maybe I can't.
post #6 of 38 Old 04-05-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:

Thanks. The Tivo records everything "scrambled" now, so I was hoping I could just pass the signal through the Tivo to the Mag., but maybe I can't.

Yes, you can. All outputs on the TiVo are active simultaneously. Connect the composite input of your DVD Recorder to the composite output of the TiVo (if using a Premier, if using a TiVo HD you can use S-Video). Whichever of the TiVo tuners that is active and displaying on your TV will also be output through composite -- so in essence you are passing it through.

Didn't we answer all of this for you on the other thread you started about the same thing.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 38 Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter

In my other thread, I thought they were talking about copying from the Tivo to the Mag. or Pan., at a later time, not recording the same program, at the same time.
post #8 of 38 Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

In my other thread, I thought they were talking about copying from the Tivo to the Mag. or Pan., at a later time, not recording the same program, at the same time.

I have done this many times. For me it was a bit tricky since my machine had two tuners,and it would always start a timer recording on the background tuner, so the output of the machine was not the one I wanted. I solved the problem by setting up a "dummy" manual program to start just before the program I wanted. It used the background tuner for the dummy timed recording, and then the forground tuner for the program I really wanted. The matching program in the DVD recorder was able to get the program without incident.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 38 Old 04-07-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I have been trying to hook this up this morning, but I can't get the Mag to show any channels. I see L1 and L2 but nothing else. I hooked up the red, white, yellow cables from the output of the Tivo to the input of the Mag, and I did a channel scan. Do I need a coax cable too? Is there a place on the back of the Tivo for this? Does the Tivo have to be turned on all of the time for the Mag to work? I usually keep my Tivo on the "Standby" setting, when not watching.
post #10 of 38 Old 04-07-2012, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are you trying to use the tuner in the Mag to record or trying to record output from the TiVo? If you want to record from the mag tuner, yes you need to hook up the coax from your provider but it will only scan analog and clear QAM channels. If you are trying to record from the TiVo, yes you have to leave the TiVo on so you will continue to get output from it. Hook up the composite from TiVo to L1 input on the back of the mag.Make sure L1 is set to Video in and not S-Video in @ Setup/General Settings/Video/Video Input/L1. Change your source on the mag to L1 and you should see what the TiVo is putting out. Check your settings in the TiVo to make sure it is set properly, I think some devices may not output to composite properly if set to progressive scan. I am not familiar with your TiVo, so maybe someone else could chime in on that. Church AV Guy gave you a good work around for the dual tuner thing.
I think you need to state exactly what it is you are trying to do. It sounds like you are trying to record a scrambled channel to DVD, using the TiVo to tune the channel?
post #11 of 38 Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I have been trying to hook this up this morning, but I can't get the Mag to show any channels. I see L1 and L2 but nothing else. I hooked up the red, white, yellow cables from the output of the Tivo to the input of the Mag, and I did a channel scan. Do I need a coax cable too? Is there a place on the back of the Tivo for this? Does the Tivo have to be turned on all of the time for the Mag to work? I usually keep my Tivo on the "Standby" setting, when not watching.

If you're feeding the audio and video from the TiVo to the Maggie, you're not using the Magnavox tuner at all and so a channel scan will do you no good.

As said before, the only thing you can get if you hook another coax up to the Maggie is unscrambled channels.

YOU CANNOT GET THE SCRAMBLED ONES ON THE MAGGIE'S TUNER. YOU'LL NEED A CABLE BOX FOR THAT.

If you're feeding the A/V signals from the TiVo to the Magnavox (I still say you're asking for trouble, since EVERYTHING, including the TiVo's onscreen info will be recorded by the Maggie) it MIGHT record, but it depends on how the cable channel is flagged.

There's a good chance that even if you can record off the A/V lines to the Magnavox, you won't be able to create a DVD off the hard drive recording.

Again, it depends on how the channel is flagged (digitally coded).

A video "filter" of some kind takes the flagging out of the picture, and allows all kinds of recording and disc burning of anything coming thru the filter.

Also, if you're using the TiVo's A/V outputs to feed the Magnavox, if the Maggie is set on its A/V inputs, of course the TiVo needs to be turned on, since it's providing the audio and video.

No active TiVo, no audio and video for the Magnavox to record.

Thing is, I didn't know TiVos can be turned off. Put on "standby" yes, but "off", no.
post #12 of 38 Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Thing is, I didn't know TiVos can be turned off. Put on "standby" yes, but "off", no.

The only way to "turn off" a TiVo is to pull the plug. It is always on and recording from the tuners. The only function of "standby" is to reset the parental control locks. It does nothing else other than turn off the A/V output to blank the screen.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #13 of 38 Old 04-07-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

...YOU CANNOT GET THE SCRAMBLED ONES ON THE MAGGIE'S TUNER. YOU'LL NEED A CABLE BOX FOR THAT.

If you're feeding the A/V signals from the TiVo to the Magnavox (I still say you're asking for trouble, since EVERYTHING, including the TiVo's onscreen info will be recorded by the Maggie) it MIGHT record, but it depends on how the cable channel is flagged...

...Also, if you're using the TiVo's A/V outputs to feed the Magnavox, if the Maggie is set on its A/V inputs, of course the TiVo needs to be turned on, since it's providing the audio and video.

No active TiVo, no audio and video for the Magnavox to record.

[OPINION]

I *LOVE* the fact that more and more folks are starting to "Over-Format" because it *DOES* add a sense of 'Facial Expression / Vocal Intonation / etc...' to your posts. BUT, I'd like to suggest that you CHOOSE your FORMAT OPTIONS carefully.

SILVER letters on the default AVS GRAY background are *VERY* hard to read.

Also, I reserve BLUE for LINKs, since most browsers alternate between BLUE (unread) and DARK ORCHID (read), IIRC. I use RED for things I DISAGREE with and GREEN for things I AGREE with. I use BROWN for 'Newbies' stuff and NAVY (rarely now ) for emphasis.

Not something that I came up with INSTANTLY. But, something that I feel that I've 'finely-tuned' over the years...

As they say, it's just 'My Opinion' and 'Everyone Has One!'

[/OPINION]

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
post #14 of 38 Old 04-07-2012, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have Charter cable going into a Motorola MTR700 Tuning Adapter into the Tivo, with a cable card...

Why?

I usually defer *ALL* TiVo-related questions to Kelson, but, if the TiVo has a CableCard, there's no need for anything before it (like the Motorola MTR700 - I'll have to GOOGLE that because I'm only familiar with the Motorola DCT700 available from Comcast).

Quote:

...How could the Mag.515 be used in this situation to schedule and record the same programs as the Tivo?

Church AV Guy gave the answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I have done this many times. For me it was a bit tricky since my machine had two tuners,and it would always start a timer recording on the background tuner, so the output of the machine was not the one I wanted. I solved the problem by setting up a "dummy" manual program to start just before the program I wanted. It used the background tuner for the dummy timed recording, and then the forground tuner for the program I really wanted. The matching program in the DVD recorder was able to get the program without incident.

For SCRAMBLED Channels, *FORGET* the coax - you need to use the LINE INPUTS.

post #15 of 38 Old 04-08-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have been using a Mag.2160 in another room, with no problems, but this Tivo-Mag. situation seems a lot different. I think that I have the cables connected correctly. Once you turn the Mag. on, what are the basic steps in getting the channels to show up, what buttons do you press, etc?
post #16 of 38 Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the replies. I have been using a Mag.2160 in another room, with no problems, but this Tivo-Mag. situation seems a lot different. I think that I have the cables connected correctly. Once you turn the Mag. on, what are the basic steps in getting the channels to show up, what buttons do you press, etc?

Page #44 & 55 should tell you everything you need to know on the Mag end.
http://download.p4c.philips.com/file...f7_dfu_aen.pdf

If you can't get it to work with output from the TiVo, some troubleshooting on your end is required.
1. Try sending input to the Mag from a different device that is not sending copyright protected signal.(Maybe the 2160 in the other room?)
2. Try the other inputs on the Mag. The one you're trying may not work.
3. Try a different composite cable. The one you're using may be bad.
4. Try using S-Video if the TiVo supports it.
post #17 of 38 Old 04-08-2012, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

[OPINION]

I *LOVE* the fact that more and more folks are starting to "Over-Format" because it *DOES* add a sense of 'Facial Expression / Vocal Intonation / etc...' to your posts. BUT, I'd like to suggest that you CHOOSE your FORMAT OPTIONS carefully.

SILVER letters on the default AVS GRAY background are *VERY* hard to read.

Also, I reserve BLUE for LINKs, since most browsers alternate between BLUE (unread) and DARK ORCHID (read), IIRC. I use RED for things I DISAGREE with and GREEN for things I AGREE with. I use BROWN for 'Newbies' stuff and NAVY (rarely now ) for emphasis.

Not something that I came up with INSTANTLY. But, something that I feel that I've 'finely-tuned' over the years...

As they say, it's just 'My Opinion' and 'Everyone Has One!'

[/OPINION]

The light gray was done for a reason. It was an inserted thought that was important, but could be ignored and the paragraph still understood. It was a side thought. Figured that'd be obvious.

The blue? If you want to try clicking on something that's not coming up as a link, be my guest.

My choices were made for specific reasons.

The only point you've made that I can stop and think about is the matter of the blue, but then I've addressed that already. You'd prefer green, maybe?
post #18 of 38 Old 04-08-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jasta-

I don't mean to be unkind, but if you've got a pretty much identical machine going in the other room, you don't need us to tell you how to get channels.

As already explained again and again, you can't get "channels" off the recorder if you're depending totally on the audio/video feed from the TiVo.

That's the end of the matter.

To get "channels", you need to use a coax feed directly into the Magnavox. THAT will give its tuner something to work with. You go thru the ordinary setup steps described in the manual. You must have done it before, and I suggest you use the same method this time.

If you're not going to give the Maggie its own coax feed and insist on using it to simply display the audio/video feed off the TiVo, then the TiVo is where you go to change channels.

You feed the TiVo's video output to the Maggie video input, and the TiVo's audio outputs to the Maggie's audio inputs.

The only difference between the Maggie's front and rear A/V inputs is that the rear is L1, whereas the front is L2.

Which set of inputs are you trying to use on the Maggie? Front or back?

Also, are you using composite or S-Video? (And in the menus, which do you have the L1 or L2 inputs set for? Composite, or S-Video?)

Could it be, if you've wired things up right, that you don't have the video set correctly in the Magnavox menus?

How's about this-

Give us a simple, step by step description of the wires leading from the TiVo to the Maggie. Tell us where they're connected on each machine.

Tell us how you have the Maggie set.

Also (and this is important) are you sure those A/V cables are carrying signal? Have you tried using them to feed directly into a TV, bypassing the Maggie?
post #19 of 38 Old 04-09-2012, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for my misunderstanding of the situation. I thought there was some way to send to the digital signal through the Tivo into the Mag., so that I could record TCM movies on both machines, editing on the Mag. and using the Tivo recordings as a backup.
post #20 of 38 Old 04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry for my misunderstanding of the situation. I thought there was some way to send to the digital signal through the Tivo into the Mag., so that I could record TCM movies on both machines, editing on the Mag. and using the Tivo recordings as a backup.

Please RE-READ Church AV Guy's answer that I QUOTEd above.

The solution has been posted - you're just not GRASPING it. Have you actually TRIED it yet?

post #21 of 38 Old 04-09-2012, 10:05 AM

How does that saying go?
You can lead a horse to water, but you can't beat it after it's dead.

jasta, at this point I think your just yanking our chain.
post #22 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

I read the Church AV Guy's answer, but I don't understand it. If I set the Tivo to record a movie on TCM, channel 60, how would I set up this "dummy" program on the Mag. to record this same movie, at the same time?
post #23 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

I read the Church AV Guy's answer, but I don't understand it. If I set the Tivo to record a movie on TCM, channel 60, how would I set up this "dummy" program on the Mag. to record this same movie, at the same time?

You're setting 2 devices to record at the SAME time.
Set Tivo to record TCM.
Set Mag to record the Tivo feed from the Mag's line input.
There. That's it. No problemo. It's a wrap. That's all folks. Que bueno. It's all good. Enjoy.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #24 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

You're setting 2 devices to record at the SAME time.
Set Tivo to record TCM.
Set Mag to record the Tivo feed from the Mag's line input.
There. That's it. No problemo. It's a wrap. That's all folks. Que bueno. It's all good. Enjoy.

Not quite as simple. The TiVo has 2 tuners. One is active and displays through all the outputs. The other is inactive but is still tuned to some channel and is recording to buffer. When the timer for a scheduled recording fires, the TiVo will execute that recording using the inactive tuner -- assuming only 1 scheduled recording is occurring. Unless he leaves the active tuner set to the channel he wants to record or is there to make the proper tuner active at the start of the recording, he'll be recording something completely different.

We tried to impress upon him in the other thread he started, on the same thing, that this was the absolute worst way to record from a DVR to a DVD recorder. The best way is to let the TiVo make the recording and then play it back from the TiVo after manually starting the recorder. If he's in a real hurry, he can start the playback/DVDR process 5 seconds after the TiVo's timer has fired.

TiVo also has a "record to VCR" option for any recorded program. I've never had need to play with it, but I suspect it will send a recording out through the composite output in the background. This might be an even better way if it allows a group of titles to be queued.

- kelson h

post #25 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 72
^^Ah...serves me right for not reading the entire thread (and just reading the newest post..

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #26 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

Not quite as simple. The TiVo has 2 tuners. One is active and displays through all the outputs. The other is inactive but is still tuned to some channel and is recording to buffer. When the timer for a scheduled recording fires, the TiVo will execute that recording using the inactive tuner -- assuming only 1 scheduled recording is occurring. Unless he leaves the active tuner set to the channel he wants to record or is there to make the proper tuner active at the start of the recording, he'll be recording something completely different.

We tried to impress upon him in the other thread he started, on the same thing, that this was the absolute worst way to record from a DVR to a DVD recorder. The best way is to let the TiVo make the recording and then play it back from the TiVo after manually starting the recorder. If he's in a real hurry, he can start the playback/DVDR process 5 seconds after the TiVo's timer has fired.

Hey, if he wants to do it this way, then that's his choice. I too have concluded that the best way of doing these things is to let the Tivo record, and you just play back the recording. In the instances that I wanted to have the recording done automatically I was recording a program that was on from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM daily. I always start my recordings five minutes early, and end them five minutes late. (This has been useful, especially in the days when some stations went one or two minutes over in a show and that propogated through the whole rest of the evening's schedule. Anyway...) So the Tivo was recording from 3:55pm to 5:05pm daily. I set up the Tivo with a manual timer on a differnet channel to record from 3:50PM to 4:05 PM daily. This one ALWAYS came on first, and occupied the background tuner. The show I wanted to watch then came up and was given the forground tuner (with the active A/V outputs). I put a program in my DVD recorder to record from the Tivo, input AV1, from 3:55 to 5:05 daily, and I never failed to get my program. I would then just delete the material form the manual timer recording, as I didn't care about it, and I saved the actual program I wanted on the Tivo until I made the DVD of it.

It's easier to do than explain.

Quote:

TiVo also has a "record to VCR" option for any recorded program. I've never had need to play with it, but I suspect it will send a recording out through the composite output in the background. This might be an even better way if it allows a group of titles to be queued.

The DirecTV Tivo that I had also sported the classy "record to VCR" option. The only thing it did was put a nice title card in front of the recording (which I have become addicted to) and inhibited all screen clutter from appearing during the course of the program.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #27 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The digital signal, no. For the 89th time, TCM is likely scrambled.

YOU NEED A CABLE BOX OR CABLE CARD TO DESCRAMBLE IT.

The only thing the Magnavox can get are unscrambled channels on its tuner, and the Audio/Video feed coming in thru its inputs.

The picture and sound from the scrambled channel CAN be fed from the TiVo to the Magnavox, but the TiVo would have to be tuned to that channel. The TiVo would essentially be a slave to the Magnavox, and the two machines would not be able to operate independently of each other. (At least not without the Maggie using its tuner, which gets only unscrambled channels.)

If the TiVo doesn't pass on any copy-guard signal to the Magnavox, you will be able to do this, but again...AGAIN...everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) the TiVo is putting onscreen will be fed to the Magnavox. Any onscreen displays from the TiVo, channel banners, etc.

Such "video junk" will end up on the Magnavox recording.

I suppose you could record on the TiVo and then later play the recording into the Magnavox and make a copy, provided there's no copy-protection. That might give you a little more control of what the Magnavox is actually getting. Doing both at once, the TiVo feeding the Maggie...doing it on the fly like that is "lumpy".

EDIT:

I've also overlooked the fact this is a dual-tuner TiVo, which as someone pointed out makes the situation even more of a nightmare.

I think in this case the only way to proceed is to get the Magnavox its own cable box, or only make Magnavox copies of such TCM movies by playing them from the TiVo into the Maggie AFTER the TiVo has recorded them.
post #28 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

The DirecTV Tivo that I had also sported the classy "record to VCR" option. The only thing it did was put a nice title card in front of the recording (which I have become addicted to) and inhibited all screen clutter from appearing during the course of the program.

Tivo's "save to VCR" acts the same way as your DirecTV DVR, I wish is worked as Kelson thought but alas no. I NEVER use the save to VCR function, instead I do as Kelson suggested, I record everything to my Tivo and only later PLAY my Tivo and RECORD with my DVDR. It's only realtime but I can be recording two separate different things to my Tivo while recording my playing Tivo to my DVDR. Works great and it's easy to search my Tivo while I pause my DVDR(I'm recording my Tivo as I type now). I don't think it would be as easy transferring things to my PC and also doing things that way if my source was HD(as almost everything I record is) I'd have to somehow transcode the program to SD(to be able to record to DVD and retain compatibility with standard DVD players) which would take lots of time in itself.
post #29 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Tivo's "save to VCR" acts the same way as your DirecTV DVR

Actually, I was talking about the old DirecTV Tivo, the HR10-250. The DVRs that DirecTV has made for themselves, the HR2x series, do not have a "record to VCR" option, so on-screen messages can appear and are recorded. That irks me, because I am a purist and so I need to go back a re-record the material.

Luke

post #30 of 38 Old 04-10-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I don't think it would be as easy transferring things to my PC and also doing things that way if my source was HD(as almost everything I record is) I'd have to somehow transcode the program to SD(to be able to record to DVD and retain compatibility with standard DVD players) which would take lots of time in itself.

For the end product you want -- DVD Video on DVD-R -- your way is the best way to get the recording off the TiVo. If you were to network transfer the title to your PC from the TiVo, you would need Video Redo to first edit out the commercials (quick) then recode to 480i for DVD Video (not so quick depending on the horsepower of your PC). I keep all my TiVo recordings as HD/5.1 so network transfer is the only way for me.

One of these days I'll convert one of my HD/5.1 recordings to SD/2.0 and see how long it takes.

- kelson h

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page