Problems burning discs on Phillips DVDR3575H recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Phillips DVDR3575H recorder.

I bought some Sony DVD-R 4.7 GB Version 2.1 blank discs, but I am getting the following error on each one when I try to put a show I recorded on the disc- "Recording Error - Can not record on this disc E 4 54037380"

Does anyone have any idea why I keep getting this error.

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-04-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Blank discs from name brands are not as consistent as they once were. It could be you came across a spindle of Sony 16x blanks that are not so good in older recorders (most discs today are more compatible with PC burners). If your 3575 works fine with other blanks you may have, just not this new pak of Sonys, its probably the new discs. See if you can exchange them at the store for another brand. Sony media comes from one OEM supplier, Maxell from another, TDK and everything else is made by a third company. The best blanks you can buy in a store are "original" Verbatim AZO, but these are getting harder to find: most stores now carry Verbatim non-AZO "Life" discs, which are really the same generic stuff sold under the TDK and store brand labels. See if you can find Verbatim with AZO printed on the wrapper.

If your 3575 is acting up with all blanks you buy, you could try some "lower-speed" 8x JVC/TY or Verbatim blanks, but you'll spend about $30 including shipping for a 100-pak from online dealers like supermediastore. The slower 8x media may or may not work for you: it helps keep some older machines going, others it makes no difference. If 8x doesn't solve your problem you can just use them in your next recorder or a PC.

Your 3575 is a bit long in the tooth for a DVD recorder: most develop burner problems by the four year mark. If yours fails with every blank, even 8x, you'll need a new recorder. Unfortunately your Philips used a burner no longer available from the mfr, so repair isn't feasible. Look into buying a Magnavox 513 while you can still get one, this is an improved version of the Philips 3575 and operates almost exactly the same way.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-04-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'd suggest getting a laser cleaner, used for both CD and DVD players.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Blank discs from name brands are not as consistent as they once were. It could be you came across a spindle of Sony 16x blanks that are not so good in older recorders (most discs today are more compatible with PC burners). If your 3575 works fine with other blanks you may have, just not this new pak of Sonys, its probably the new discs. See if you can exchange them at the store for another brand. Sony media comes from one OEM supplier, Maxell from another, TDK and everything else is made by a third company. The best blanks you can buy in a store are "original" Verbatim AZO, but these are getting harder to find: most stores now carry Verbatim non-AZO "Life" discs, which are really the same generic stuff sold under the TDK and store brand labels. See if you can find Verbatim with AZO printed on the wrapper.

If your 3575 is acting up with all blanks you buy, you could try some "lower-speed" 8x JVC/TY or Verbatim blanks, but you'll spend about $30 including shipping for a 100-pak from online dealers like supermediastore. The slower 8x media may or may not work for you: it helps keep some older machines going, others it makes no difference. If 8x doesn't solve your problem you can just use them in your next recorder or a PC.

Your 3575 is a bit long in the tooth for a DVD recorder: most develop burner problems by the four year mark. If yours fails with every blank, even 8x, you'll need a new recorder. Unfortunately your Philips used a burner no longer available from the mfr, so repair isn't feasible. Look into buying a Magnavox 513 while you can still get one, this is an improved version of the Philips 3575 and operates almost exactly the same way.

hi folks...

the burner can be replaced with later models....

i believe the 3575 ( had one of those in the past ) uses either the same, or compatible, burner unit for the 3576 which, at last check WAS available from Funai. if the 3576 burner is no longer available, a burner for the Mag MDR-513 should also work in the 3575...

compatibility with ?X rated discs is not only a function of the burner, but of the firmware in the machine. i cannot say whether or not using things like 8X or 16X discs would work or have troubles in a 3575, however, i've used up to 16x discs in my 3576's with little trouble, and NO trouble that i can definitively point to the discs for.

based on the fact that my older ( circa 2004 ) panasonic DVR hd a firmware update in 2005 to support 16x discs, these philips machines, including the 3575, were built post 2005, and i would think that Funai at least would support the interpretation process when a disc is loaded and read. the 3575 might not utilize that speed, but would at least have support to perform a lower speed burn on those discs...

in any case, the 3575 is old enough to deserve a cleaning and re-test...

rgds,
ron g
post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

I'd suggest getting a laser cleaner, used for both CD and DVD players.

This almost never works. Worth a try, but is usually only effective with a new-ish recorder that just happens to suddenly get some dirt in it. Old recorders stop burning because the laser is shot: these things aren't like our VCRs that lasted 20 years. If you bought a recorder in 2007, it will likely croak this year. Of course there are exceptions: Panasonics are unkillable (if you disassemble them for periodic spindle cleaning), and some recorders are dysfunctional due to a cat hair or cigarette smoke on the lens. You would be correct that they just need a lens cleaning, but a cleaner disc won't cut it: they need to be taken apart and manually cleaned.

zbums hasn't stated whether the problem is only with the new package of Sony discs: if so, its those specific discs. If he's having problems with all brands, its the burner, and likely age-related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg22 View Post

the burner can be replaced with later models....

i believe the 3575 ( had one of those in the past ) uses either the same, or compatible, burner unit for the 3576 which, at last check WAS available from Funai. if the 3576 burner is no longer available, a burner for the Mag MDR-513 should also work in the 3575...

Not according to Saint Wajo's Magnavox Bible: I checked it before responding to the OP, and it says the burners for the 3575 and 3576 are out of production. It also seems to say the Philips units need a different PCB than that supplied with the Magnavox burners, implying they're incompatible. I did just re-read that section and its a bit confusing: I now see the link to your repair notes does suggest the Mag burner is compatible with the Philips PCB (unlike the Panasonics, where the PCB and burner are individually matched).. The only compatibility issue would seem to be if the Philips PCB blew out- it is no longer made, and you said the Mag PCB would be difficult to install as a substitute?

In the case of a 3575, its old enough that I don't think it pays to spend $65 on a new burner and tear the unit apart when you can still buy an entire like-new Magnavox 513 recorder for $169 from J&R. Repair makes sense if you can't get a Magnavox at the old price, though.

Quote:

compatibility with ?X rated discs is not only a function of the burner, but of the firmware in the machine. i cannot say whether or not using things like 8X or 16X discs would work or have troubles in a 3575, however, i've used up to 16x discs in my 3576's with little trouble, and NO trouble that i can definitively point to the discs for.

Each recorder brand is different. Some failing burners will continue to work OK with 8x media even if they fail frequently with 16x: they fail "slowly" so 16x compatibility goes first but you can still squeeze a few months or a year service from them burning 8x media. Other burner types fail all at once: if 16x burning dies, 8x dies right along with it. We often see reports of a unit failing only with RW media, or only with -R/+R. So it depends. Trying 8x media is a cheap alternative: if it works, you can buy enough time to get all your recordings off the HDD, if it doesn't work, you can use the discs in a new recorder or a PC. No harm done.

Quote:

based on the fact that my older ( circa 2004 ) panasonic DVR hd a firmware update in 2005 to support 16x discs, these philips machines, including the 3575, were built post 2005, and i would think that Funai at least would support the interpretation process when a disc is loaded and read. the 3575 might not utilize that speed, but would at least have support to perform a lower speed burn on those discs...

It is common to use Panasonic as a point of reference, but what applies to Panasonic almost never applies to any other brand. Panasonic burners are almost freakishly durable, yet perversely are often reported as "failing prematurely" when they just need to be taken apart and cleaned. Contradictory, and not very consumer friendly. Panasonic is also one of the very few recorder mfrs to ever directly issue a firmware update to enhance compatibility with newer media. Even without an update, the majority of Panasonics will burn just about anything with their military-class lasers.

But I do agree the Magnavox and Philips models are from the newer generation that is reasonably compatible with almost any media brand or type. Most owners are using generic media with them quite happily, year after year. I only suggested zbums try 8x media in his failing 3575 because 8x will sometimes work in a dying burner that can no longer handle 16x (due to either spindle or laser wear).
post #6 of 8 Old 04-05-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The Magnavox 2080 (from 2007) uses the same 4x "burner" as the Philips 3575 (2007) and 3576 (2008). The Magnavox PCB is different than the Philips PCB.

Later Magnavox models (2160, 2160A, 513, 515) use 8x "burners." The original 2160 model (from 2008) uses a PATA interface for the hard drive; the 2009 and later models (2160A, 513 and 515) use a SATA interface for the hard drive.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2012, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

compatibility with ?X rated discs is not only a function of the burner, but of the firmware in the machine. …i've used up to 16x discs in my 3576's with little trouble, and NO trouble that i can definitively point to the discs for.

Ditto!
As long as

A) The burner’s firmware has instructions to accept a 16x DVD+R or a 16x DVD-R Version 2.1 Rev6 (what all new –16x discs are) and the firmware instructs the disc to burn at a slower speed.

B) The 16x discs are capable of falling-back to 4x speed (most 16x discs are. Verb AZO disks and T-Y discs are capable of falling back all the way down to 1x speed)
Quote:

based on the fact that my older ( circa 2004 ) panasonic DVR hd a firmware update in 2005 to support 16x discs,

Ditto!

My Sony RDR-HX780 was introduced at ‘CES 2008” and became available shortly after, around June 2008. This recorder uses a burner that’s a year or two older but in the manual it clearly states that the firmware was written no sooner then April 2008 ( shortly after the showing at CES 2008 or consumer electronics show 2008. I have yet to see a single problem burning a 16x disc. Each and everyone burns noise free, with minimal errors – just as designed to, with the manufacture’s blessing using 16x media.

It is true that aging recorders may start to fail with certain media. I don’t think this has to do much with a disc’s max rated speed however. I know a guy that burned thousands of discs on his recorder and ALL DVD-R discs started failing yet any speed DVD+R still works like a charm. Also, some reorders may have problems with certain brands of discs (regardless of disc’s max rated speed) while other brands may work like a charm, again regardless of disc’s max rated speed. Then there are some cases just like CitiBear mentions – some recorders may keep burning 8x T-Y discs while other discs will fail.

It is important to note that T-Y’s own literature claims that burning a T-Y –R 8x disc or a T-Y –R 16x disc at 1x speed only takes 12mW power. TY does not make 1x DVD-R, that power rating is for their 16x and 8x line of DVD-R media thus it’s the “burn speed” used and not the disc’s max rated speed that determines laser power usage.

Actual T-Y link for reference
http://ds.yuden.co.jp/Detail/downloa.../media02_e.pdf
LL
post #8 of 8 Old 04-06-2012, 11:10 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

This almost never works. Worth a try, but is usually only effective with a new-ish recorder that just happens to suddenly get some dirt in it. Old recorders stop burning because the laser is shot: these things aren't like our VCRs that lasted 20 years. If you bought a recorder in 2007, it will likely croak this year. Of course there are exceptions: Panasonics are unkillable (if you disassemble them for periodic spindle cleaning), and some recorders are dysfunctional due to a cat hair or cigarette smoke on the lens. You would be correct that they just need a lens cleaning, but a cleaner disc won't cut it: they need to be taken apart and manually cleaned.

zbums hasn't stated whether the problem is only with the new package of Sony discs: if so, its those specific discs. If he's having problems with all brands, its the burner, and likely age-related.

Not according to Saint Wajo's Magnavox Bible: I checked it before responding to the OP, and it says the burners for the 3575 and 3576 are out of production. It also seems to say the Philips units need a different PCB than that supplied with the Magnavox burners, implying they're incompatible. I did just re-read that section and its a bit confusing: I now see the link to your repair notes does suggest the Mag burner is compatible with the Philips PCB (unlike the Panasonics, where the PCB and burner are individually matched).. The only compatibility issue would seem to be if the Philips PCB blew out- it is no longer made, and you said the Mag PCB would be difficult to install as a substitute?

In the case of a 3575, its old enough that I don't think it pays to spend $65 on a new burner and tear the unit apart when you can still buy an entire like-new Magnavox 513 recorder for $169 from J&R. Repair makes sense if you can't get a Magnavox at the old price, though.

Each recorder brand is different. Some failing burners will continue to work OK with 8x media even if they fail frequently with 16x: they fail "slowly" so 16x compatibility goes first but you can still squeeze a few months or a year service from them burning 8x media. Other burner types fail all at once: if 16x burning dies, 8x dies right along with it. We often see reports of a unit failing only with RW media, or only with -R/+R. So it depends. Trying 8x media is a cheap alternative: if it works, you can buy enough time to get all your recordings off the HDD, if it doesn't work, you can use the discs in a new recorder or a PC. No harm done.

It is common to use Panasonic as a point of reference, but what applies to Panasonic almost never applies to any other brand. Panasonic burners are almost freakishly durable, yet perversely are often reported as "failing prematurely" when they just need to be taken apart and cleaned. Contradictory, and not very consumer friendly. Panasonic is also one of the very few recorder mfrs to ever directly issue a firmware update to enhance compatibility with newer media. Even without an update, the majority of Panasonics will burn just about anything with their military-class lasers.

But I do agree the Magnavox and Philips models are from the newer generation that is reasonably compatible with almost any media brand or type. Most owners are using generic media with them quite happily, year after year. I only suggested zbums try 8x media in his failing 3575 because 8x will sometimes work in a dying burner that can no longer handle 16x (due to either spindle or laser wear).

hi citibear...

on the panny reference, my only reason for reference was that during that time, the pannys did not support 16x DVD-RW discs, and subsequently produced a firmware patch to ' table support ' the discs, even though the burners may not have supported 16x write speed... only by association, i'm guessing that circa that period in time, manufacturers such as Funai were probably aware of the disc market and, as such, probably included a firmware table entry so the discs would not be ' unrecognizable ' ... most certainly, the Funai burner hardware would not support 16x write speed, but would still write to the discs...

on cleaning, i never use the kits, but bite the bullet and go inside with a lintless swab to do the job... this DOES result in improvement, if not a fix, in many cases...

on the rest of the compatibility stuff, i do agree with your analysis most heartily...

my last update ( via wajo ) was that 3576 burner / main pcb kits were still available, but that could have changed.

my original attempt to obtain a 3576 kit was unsuccessful, so i ordered ( gambled ) a Mag MDR-513 kit ( after which wajo had advised that the 3576 kits were still available and that i had gotten some bad info )...

in any case, i received the MDR513 kit and i have physically ( and successfully ) replaced the burner in my 3576 with the burner that comes with the MDR-513 kit...

the Mag Main PCB is not directly compatible and cannot be installed without some mods. However, the burner will drop right in and function fine with the existing Main PCB. when i received it, i put it through its paces in a 3576 and it worked flawlessly.

also, i kind of disagree on the 65 bucks... unless one really needs some of the functionality of the MDR machines, the 3575 ( with its firmware update ) works fine ( i have a relative with a 3575 )...

my original 3575 investments were about 230.00 at Sams Club... if i had a choice today to fix a 3575 for 65 bucks or spend upwards of 200 for an MDR machine, i would opt for the 3575 fixit...

sure, i would have 295 invested, but that's still better than 430...

i had a couple of these before returning them to philips for unrelated issues, at which time they had replaced them with the 3576 models, as the 3575's had been discontinued at that point in time...

zbums, if you choose to go for a Mag unit and want to unload your 3575 for 50 bucks, i'll take it...

rgds,
ron g
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page