Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well, here is the tale.

A few weeks ago, when J&R had some referbed 515s for sale, I purchased one. Yes, I am a dedicated Panasonic guy, but the 515s had the useable tuner, and they WERE the last models available made for North America. I figured I should take advantag of the offer. I got it, and it sat on a shelf, unopened until this week. (I was wondering if I would ever open it.) What happened this week, you ask? Well, DirecTV and Tribune entertainment came to a non-agreement resulting in all the tribune stations going offline on DirecTV midnight Mar 31. This included LA channel 5, which has some shows I record.

So I expected the situation to be resolved pretty quickly, but when Tuesday evening rolled around and I was still getting the "no service" screen on channel 5 from DirecTV, I knew, for domestic reasons, that I needed to act. I dragged out my old antenna, connected the wires and strung the antenna cable into the living room. The television saw the over-the-air signal just fine, but we would be out that evening, so I needed to record the show. TA-DA! The 515 to the rescue. I opened the box, set it up and had it operational in a very short time. (I have a little experience with DVD recorders that transferred from the Panasonics to the 515 pretty easily.) Tuesday evening, it made the recording exactly as it was supposed to Whoo-Hoo!

The antenna wire was, however, run through a window and kinda down the hall, held to the ceiling by wrapping it around the base of the hall light fixtures. While it had the intended end result, this was not long-term acceptable. On Wed, this forum (and the DBS forum) was filled with comments about legal action flying between DirecTV and Tribune--the rerhetoric sounded like it was getting heated, and nasty.

I assumed a resolution was not imminent, so Wed evening, I unstrung the wire, ran it through the attic, snaked it down the wall and through the hole that I have been using for all the DirecTV satellite cables. I got it to be "pretty" and long-term workable, reconnected it to the televison, verified that I had signals, and tuned to 5-1, where there was a breaking news story of an agreement just hammered out between Tribune and DirecTV, so they reported that they were back on DirecTV! I switched inputs and tuned to channel 5, and yes, they were back on.

I was not happy about expending all that effort when it had been unnecessary. Yes, I have the 515 connected up, and the over-the-air signals coming in, but really! I was pretty annoyed, and that because the outcome I had wanted, actually occurred. Talk about cognitive dissonance

As I said, IT HAD TO HAPPEN, didn't it.

Sheesh!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-05-2012, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Well, here is the tale.

As I said, IT HAD TO HAPPEN, didn't it.

Sheesh!

Ha! I thought I was the only one that sort of thing happened to.
Oh well, better to have it and not need it.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-05-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I suppose the cable down the hall would have been more acceptable if it had been white instead of black. Either way, it HAD to go!

I think all the DirecTV Tribune watchers owe me, because if I had not done this, all those stations would still be off!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 21 Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If you really cared, you'd get rid of DirecTV, go to cable, feed it to your 515 thru the A/V inputs, and re-connect the antenna to the RF input.

post #5 of 21 Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I REEEEEEEALY hate to pass this on, but....

http://www.satelliteguys.us/satellit...each-deal.html

The DEAL may not be REAL.

As a former Orange County - an, I understand your missing of the news on channel 5.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #6 of 21 Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

If you really cared, you'd get rid of DirecTV, go to cable, feed it to your 515 thru the A/V inputs, and re-connect the antenna to the RF input.

The Antenna is wired into the RF input on the 515, and is working great. I already have five Panasonic DVD recorders connected to my DirecTV receivers via the A/V inputs, so I am covered there.

I live in a real outlying area, and the cable TV quality is completely worthless. DirecTV and the antenna are much superior. Additionally, screwed up my bill one month and refused to acknowledge that it was their fault, so my wife refuses to do business with that company any longer.

I just thought you'd all get a laugh out of the story.

Luke

post #7 of 21 Old 04-09-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

And the unfortunate incidents just keep on coming. I just realized yesterday that the 515 and my $30 Walmart DVD player share the same function codes. ...sigh... I know that there are people working on a solution to multiple recorders using the same remote codes, so like the rest of you, I have to find a creative solution. It probably will amount to getting a replacement cheap DVD player that uses different remote codes. $30 is not worth the hassle.

Luke

post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
What brand is the player?

You can use a barrier, but I'm curious as to whether the $10 Philips SRP Universal I recently got would have a diff. code for that player so the Mag wouldn't be affected under the Mag code?
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

It probably will amount to getting a replacement cheap DVD player that uses different remote codes. $30 is not worth the hassle.

As I like to point out to people: a DVD player costs less than a tank of gas these days.

I guess it's a sign that (a) the price of gas has gone way up and (b) DVD players have come way down. When I bought my first DVD player in '02 ($120 Panasonic--prices had just come WAY down!), I could fill up my Integra from near-empty, pay with a $20 bill, and walk away with a few bucks' change to cover vending machines snacks at work.

Last fill up (on the same car) was $42.22--makes the spare DVD player seem like a bargain, eh?
post #10 of 21 Old 04-09-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

And the unfortunate incidents just keep on coming. I just realized yesterday that the 515 and my $30 Walmart DVD player share the same function codes. ...sigh... I know that there are people working on a solution to multiple recorders using the same remote codes, so like the rest of you, I have to find a creative solution. It probably will amount to getting a replacement cheap DVD player that uses different remote codes. $30 is not worth the hassle.

It's one reason I never got into Panasonic DVD players, they interfere with my Panasonic DVDRs so I settled on Sony players. The Panasonic DVD players are all remote code 1. I tried but really disliked the picture quality of the Sony BD players but liked Panasonic, luckly Panasonic BD players have 3(the same 3 as DVDRs) and the newest ones have 5 remote codes. I'd suggest the cheap Sony 200 DVD player($30 on sale) or the upconverting 500 model($40 and up) although Sonys aren't know to play PC type formats(Divx, etc.).
post #11 of 21 Old 04-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

As I like to point out to people: a DVD player costs less than a tank of gas these days.

I guess it's a sign that (a) the price of gas has gone way up and (b) DVD players have come way down. When I bought my first DVD player in '02 ($120 Panasonic--prices had just come WAY down!), I could fill up my Integra from near-empty, pay with a $20 bill, and walk away with a few bucks' change to cover vending machines snacks at work.

Last fill up (on the same car) was $42.22--makes the spare DVD player seem like a bargain, eh?

Add to the fact a DVD player from today has better specs, while gasoline, at least in my state, will not get you as far per gallon due to the ethanol in it.

Here's a cheapy that even has a usb port that can play media from a drive:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Viore-DVP4...i_sku=15250066
All for the hefty price of $25!
post #12 of 21 Old 04-10-2012, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

What brand is the player?

Believe it or not, I never paid any ayttention to it. Yes, you guessed it, it's a Magnavox! Of COURSE it has the same codes! Dumb, dumb... dumb....
Quote:

I'm well aware of that. It makes the posts from people saying that they want a DVD recorder, but that they won't spend more than $150 for it, and it needs every feature, a huge HDD, etc. $150! What is that three fill-ups at the gas sataion? It makes the $200 I paid for my 515 seem downright trivial.
Quote:

I just filled up my truck this last weekend. At $4.21 per gallon, it was over $60! It makes the cost of that cheap DVD player insiginificant, not to mention $0.30 per disk for T-Y blank media.

Luke

post #13 of 21 Old 04-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Believe it or not, I never paid any ayttention to it. Yes, you guessed it, it's a Magnavox! Of COURSE it has the same codes! Dumb, dumb... dumb....

Well, it is a point to keep in mind when picking up a cheap, commodity DVD player for non-critical viewing. I mostly use a sweet little Pioneer for that.....which fortunately has a different remote code from my Pio DVDR. I usually have only 1 Phil-Mag in the main stack, so no problem there. My Panny DVDR and Blu-ray player would interfere with each other but fortunately, they have the alternate code option. Then there's a Yamaha universal player, all on its own, and a Mitsubishi VCR. It's a delicate balance, but so far I've been able to control the remote-code-interference demon.

Quote:

It makes the posts from people saying that they want a DVD recorder, but that they won't spend more than $150 for it, and it needs every feature, a huge HDD, etc. $150! What is that three fill-ups at the gas sataion? It makes the $200 I paid for my 515 seem downright trivial.

And how many of those people who complain about the $200 price of a 513 (at least until recently) driving small, fuel-sipping economy cars? And prepare all their meals at home instead of paying the high cost of fast food and restaurant tabs?

People's perceptions of value are often fascinating. When my first DVD recorder cost $650, I thought carefully about the purcahase (I had recently taken a step-down job that involved something like a 40% pay cut) and decided that it was well worth the amount of *daily* benefit the machine would give me. Getting one with a digital tuner and 3x larger HDD with only a modest loss in features and editing function for about 1/3 the price seems like the psycho-neurotic Bargain of the Century.

Quote:

I just filled up my truck this last weekend. At $4.21 per gallon, it was over $60! It makes the cost of that cheap DVD player insiginificant, not to mention $0.30 per disk for T-Y blank media.

Yep, I think the same way. For a while, I was using "cheap" discs for temporary copies for things like audio program time-shifting.....then I realized that the difference, per disc, was a few cents. I decided that if it's worth recording at all, it's worth putting on decent media.

I scored some TY 8x last week from SMS for $0.27 per disc. Not the best price I've gotten, but given the recent lack of sales on TY, not bad.

BTW, gas out here in the I-O-Way Territory is running about $3.69 a gallon, 10-15 cents per gallon more if you want the stuff that has NOT been adulterated with ethanol. I do--the extra MPG is the difference between an extra to or from work without having to stop for a fill up. (Thankin' the stars for my Camry's 34 mpg on the highway.)
post #14 of 21 Old 04-10-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, it is a point to keep in mind when picking up a cheap, commodity DVD player for non-critical viewing. I mostly use a sweet little Pioneer for that.....which fortunately has a different remote code from my Pio DVDR. I usually have only 1 Phil-Mag in the main stack, so no problem there. My Panny DVDR and Blu-ray player would interfere with each other but fortunately, they have the alternate code option. Then there's a Yamaha universal player, all on its own, and a Mitsubishi VCR. It's a delicate balance, but so far I've been able to control the remote-code-interference demon.

Like I said, I never paid any attention to it until the Maggy DVD recorder turnd on the DVD player. The DVD player remote does NOT say Magnavox, and the player itself has the name printed on it, but in really small letters. I really just never gave it a thought.

Quote:

Yep, I think the same way. For a while, I was using "cheap" discs for temporary copies for things like audio program time-shifting.....then I realized that the difference, per disc, was a few cents. I decided that if it's worth recording at all, it's worth putting on decent media.

I scored some TY 8x last week from SMS for $0.27 per disc. Not the best price I've gotten, but given the recent lack of sales on TY, not bad.

Life is too short to burn bad media. Didn't I hear that somewhere before, and for a long time?

Luke

post #15 of 21 Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by morc258 View Post

Add to the fact a DVD player from today has better specs, while gasoline, at least in my state, will not get you as far per gallon due to the ethanol in it.

Here's a cheapy that even has a usb port that can play media from a drive:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Viore-DVP4...i_sku=15250066
All for the hefty price of $25!

That's a nice looking DVD player, even has discrete 5.1 audio outputs and a display not to mention component and HDMI. The only thing lacking is S-video which basically NO current model player has
The reason I mentioned Sony is because I really haven't had too much luck with "cheap" DVD players. I've had several Cyberhome, TruTech and Harmon Tech players die prematurely not to mention the "skipped frames" playing DVDR burnt DVDs in both model Memorex DVD players I tried(does Memorex make anything decent or is everything they make crap) I also had a couple older Philips players start acting funky after not too long. I guess as long as that Viore player isn't made by Memorex it might be worth a try....the price is sure right
post #16 of 21 Old 04-10-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Magnavox in question that I think is this one, or one very much like it, I purchased from WalMart for about $30, has played everything I have thrown at it without a glitch. The only thing it hasn't played for me is a region 2 PAL disk, that I accidentally put in it. Oh, and one other thing, it can't play -RAM disks, or unfinalized disks, but who would expect it to. I have had it for years and it has given me great service.

Luke

post #17 of 21 Old 04-11-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:

The Magnavox in question that I think is this one, or one very much like it, I purchased from WalMart for about $30, has played everything I have thrown at it without a glitch. The only thing it hasn't played for me is a region 2 PAL disk, that I accidentally put in it. Oh, and one other thing, it can't play -RAM disks, or unfinalized disks, but who would expect it to. I have had it for years and it has given me great service.

I have one of those that I use to test every disk I record and that's a lot of disks. It just keeps on ticking year in and year out.
post #18 of 21 Old 04-11-2012, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's fairly robust also. A number of disks that won't play in other players play just fine in this cheapy thing. One of my better investments.

Luke

post #19 of 21 Old 04-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's fairly robust also. A number of disks that won't play in other players play just fine in this cheapy thing. One of my better investments.

I've had similar experiences with a cheapo JVC player: had a commercial disc that refused to play in my Yamaha, Sony, or Pioneer players but worked just fine in the JVC.

One of the few flawed DVDs I've encountered.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I doubt that these very inexpensive DVD players have more robust error correction. They must be able to play disks that other players have issues with for the opposite reason, they have less error DETECTION, so they just play through the CRC or other errors that more compliant players choke on. Their loss--my gain!

Luke

post #21 of 21 Old 04-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:

I doubt that these very inexpensive DVD players have more robust error correction. They must be able to play disks that other players have issues with for the opposite reason, they have less error DETECTION, so they just play through the CRC or other errors that more compliant players choke on. Their loss--my gain!

Good example of "Ignorance Is Bliss".
If the DVD player doesn't know there is a problem with the disc, then everything must be dandy.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page