post #31 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

AFAIK, TY has never been sold in convenient 50-ct cakeboxes (like Verbatim, which I also buy).

However.....my first purchase ever from SMS was TY 8x DVD-R in 25-count, square plastic boxes. I think the labels say something about being packaged for retail use. I've kept those and use them for my ready-access supply of discs for daily use, then I replenish them from the unwieldy 100-ct cakeboxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I mainly use inland cases that hold 1-5 disc's.

The back spine is just wide enough to cut an avery label in half and works fine--for now.
Tape warehouse has all the cases and a nice selection of DVD blanks.
post #33 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

They do the Sat. night B-grade horror movie with the goofy host--"Svengoolie," who's been a fixture on Chicago UHF stations for years.

I have a love/hate relationship with Svengoolie. I love those old classic Universal horror flicks he often shows,but i can't stand to actually watch Him.His schlockiness is over the top for me and i can't put up with all the commercials they have.Many of the movies he shows are older(obviously)and have running times of anywhere from ~59-80 mins.,But Svengoolie has 120 mins.to burn, and that makes for a LOT of commercial time,geez man,when it comes to commercials,he's worse than AMC!! and that's saying a lot!!.I've recorded some of the movies he shows,but watch something else while recording.Afterward i go back and edit out the commercials,but ya gotta be very careful about it cuz he has a nasty habit of injecting himself into the movie.When the commercials are over,and the movie re-starts,there he is,in all his glory.....in the movie!!,and those scenes must be very carefully edited cuz i could either lose a scene,or gain a Svengoolieif it isn't done 'just right'(our DVDR's should have "frame accurate"editing to make the job easier). I have a certain mummy movie,can't remember the title,(i have so many mummy movies)but it's from Universal,anyway when some archeologists go to the tomb of the Princess Ananka,they find a lockett that should have a pic. of the wife of the archeologist who originally discovered her tomb,inside the lockett.But instead of a pic.of his wife,it's Svengoolie!!! AAARRRRGH....NOT GOOD!,i can't edit That out, that's for sure,but luckily it's so small that you have to have a sharp eye to see it,so i kept the copy i made.

Something i constantly wonder about is how Svengoolie can get his hands on all those Universal horror flicks so easily when it seems that nobody else can,...not even TCM,not even for Halloween.

One really good thing i can say about Svengoolie is that he does an Excellent job of showing the entire move,no cut scenes,and where ever he cuts away from the movie,is where the movie picks up afterward.Excellent!!!
post #34 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 06:06 PM

ME-TV is up to something.
Last night they skipped 5 eps.of COMBAT to air Silver Service w/Mickey Rooney.

They came in as a pleasent surprise 6-1-11 LOL They knocked Off RTV at 5am Me-TV.

Are they going to revamp their schedule??

I trac with a 108 pg 91/2"x 6" notebook.It is actually 216 pages i mark each and
everyone! 50 pages in my 2011 -12 book is dedicated to tv shows.
post #35 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

I have a love/hate relationship with Svengoolie.

Heh, yes, a little of him goes a long way. And remember: I'm nostalgic for Chicago UHF TV because I don't live there any more!!

Quote:

Something i constantly wonder about is how Svengoolie can get his hands on all those Universal horror flicks so easily when it seems that nobody else can,...not even TCM,not even for Halloween.

Apparently, WCIU, the Chicago station he works for, acquired them 5 or 6 years ago. Go figure.

Quote:

One really good thing i can say about Svengoolie is that he does an Excellent job of showing the entire move,no cut scenes,and where ever he cuts away from the movie,is where the movie picks up afterward.Excellent!!!

That's the thing: I think the guy really loves those old movies. So he's not making fun *of* them as much as having fun *with* them

The beauty of the DVDR is that you *can* record this stuff to the HDD, not have to sit through Sven if you don't want to, slicey-dicey edit Sven out of them (mostly), and make a copy for future enjoyment.
post #36 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

That's the thing: I think the guy really loves those old movies. So he's not making fun *of* them as much as having fun *with* them.

Yea,i think he loves them too,at least that's the impression i get.And he's full of interesting little factoids and tidbits of info. about the movies and some of the actors.I just can't take tooo much of him.

And thanks for letting me know how he's able to show those Universal movies.I never thought that a tv station could/would have the $$$ to buy the "rights"to air the movies. That is how it works,isn't it???? You must but buy the copyrights. Must've been cheap.

Nowday's i consider Svengoolie to be the go-to-guy for some of the best horror movies ever made.I just can't stand to watch him!!
post #37 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 08:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post

ME-TV is up to something.
Last night they skipped 5 eps.of COMBAT to air Silver Service w/Mickey Rooney.

They came in as a pleasent surprise 6-1-11 LOL They knocked Off RTV at 5am Me-TV.

Are they going to revamp their schedule??

I trac with a 108 pg 91/2"x 6" notebook.It is actually 216 pages i mark each and
everyone! 50 pages in my 2011 -12 book is dedicated to tv shows.

I saw on ME an ad that starting Monday they are starting to show The Honeymooners again in the evening. Don't know if there are any other changes in the works, but I'm going to check their schedule on their site.
post #38 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 PM

MGM+CBS+Fox etc....

Alot for Me-TV to choose from.
(At least according to wiki.)
post #39 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyean View Post

I saw on ME an ad that starting Monday they are starting to show The Honeymooners again in the evening.

That's great!! now i can get even more of their eps.(skits).I have ~80-90 already.I don't know how many more there are.
post #40 of 142 Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

I want to continue to achive w/ DVDs like some idea's of how to store.

Thanks STB

Dealing with both topics:

We have DirectTV, but I have an OTA setup upstairs because I've become aware of all the great content available on subchannels. I don't have much interest in old series, but the wealth of good old movies available is almost overwhelming. At least once a day I am adding to my movie collection.

As far as storage, I keep all finished discs in paper sleeves, and then in "snap-n store" boxes. I have 3 and need another soon.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #41 of 142 Old 04-14-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

The names of the two titles that i'm missing are:"Miniature" and "No Time Like The Past". I've been *hoping*that ME-TV is just playing games with us by withholding them and not showing them,but will at some point in the future,but ya never can tell because of possible copyright issues.I've heard that that happens sometimes with individual eps. of various shows,usually because some piece of music or other thing that's copyrighted and the copyright holder won't give permission to air whatever it is that they hold the copyright too.

As has already been mentioned, "Miniature" is absent from the syndication package, and "No Time Like The Past" is available -- so that will dictate what is available.

For the record, five episodes of the "Twilight Zone" are missing from the syndication package. They are:

MINIATURE (Season 4, originally aired 02/21/63)
A SHORT DRINK FROM A CERTAIN FOUNTAIN (Season 5, originally aired on 12/13/63)
AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE (Season 5, originally aired on 02/28/64)
SOUNDS AND SILENCES (Season 5, originally aired on 04/03/64)
THE ENCOUNTER (Season 5, originally aired on 05/01/64)

The above is per the CBS Television Distribution Syndication Bible website (yes, that's what they call it), which is rich with information on what's available, and in what versions.
post #42 of 142 Old 04-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Yea
Looks like sea.5 took the biggest hit.4 not being syndicated.
The Twilight Zone
post #43 of 142 Old 04-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post

As has already been mentioned, "Miniature" is absent from the syndication package, and "No Time Like The Past" is available -- so that will dictate what is available.

For the record, five episodes of the "Twilight Zone" are missing from the syndication package. They are:

MINIATURE (Season 4, originally aired 02/21/63)
A SHORT DRINK FROM A CERTAIN FOUNTAIN (Season 5, originally aired on 12/13/63)
AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE (Season 5, originally aired on 02/28/64)
SOUNDS AND SILENCES (Season 5, originally aired on 04/03/64)
THE ENCOUNTER (Season 5, originally aired on 05/01/64)

The above is per the CBS Television Distribution Syndication Bible website (yes, that's what they call it), which is rich with information on what's available, and in what versions.

Guess my timing was good! I got "A Short Drink", "Miniature", and "Sounds And Silences". The other two I purchased on DVD. So I have all 156 episodes, but might not have if I had started now. Strange how certain eps come and go in syndication packages.

post #44 of 142 Old 04-15-2012, 10:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If "No time Like The Past" is in syndication,i wonder why ME-TV seems to have excluded it.
Oh well,i think i'll take citibears advise and check out the library.Maybe with a little luck..... i'll find BOTH!!???

'IF' i remember correctly,i was able to get "A Short Drink From A Certain Fountain" from a Sci-Fi channel New Year's day TZ marathon a few yrs.ago,but maybe my memory is faulty.I'll have to go back and check my titles.But i have $h!tloads of them and it'll take a while.
post #45 of 142 Old 04-15-2012, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

'IF' i remember correctly,i was able to get "A Short Drink From A Certain Fountain" from a Sci-Fi channel New Year's day TZ marathon a few yrs.ago,but maybe my memory is faulty.I'll have to go back and check my titles.But i have $h!tloads of them and it'll take a while.

Mine came from Syfy, so your memory is probably correct.

post #46 of 142 Old 04-15-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

...A SHORT DRINK FROM A CERTAIN FOUNTAIN (Season 5, originally aired on 12/13/63)...

I recorded that episode from SF three times in recent years, 28 March 2008, 24 May 2009 and 4 July 2009.

It's been a while since I've had online access to the "Syndication Bible." Do you have a functional link?

Update. I found the link for this great resource. Here it is:

http://syndicationbible.cbstvd.com/

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #47 of 142 Old 04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Here's the most recent photo (8 September 2010) of my main archive. Since that photo there have been ten more albums added to the shelves, now around 12,000 home-recorded DVDs. The main archive albums are labeled with a date range as my DVDs are numbered according to finalizing date and order, i.e., the fourth DVD to be finalized today will be numbered 120413D. I also have a few other smaller albums reserved for serialized duplication masters.

Hey! You have books along with your DVDs ON THE SAME SHELF! have you no shame?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #48 of 142 Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM

The Twilight Zone
4-27-12(friday)

Recorded "To Serve Man" in HQ
Actually XP Toshiba

On Vol.2 Disc 1
1.The shelter
2.It's a Good life
3.The Midnight Sun All In XP

It said i only had 1hr
add those 3 up
67 minutes!!
post #49 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Tuesday, I completed a long-term project. I finally got the last of the Dick Van Dyke shows that I was missing. I now have the entire 158 episodes, in order. Of course, they are off-the-air, and have been cut, a bit, but the cost from Amazon was like $175. I see that it is now $100, but the proces at Amazon.com change as fast as a random number generator. I get to add Dick Van Dyke to a growing list of such titles, Mission: Impossible, The Wild, Wild West, 24, Lost... Most of the newer ones were recorded from the netowrk feeds' first run, so they are not cut up.

The SciFi (back then) versions of the original Glalactica were so badly cut, I bought them, same with the original Twilight Zone. I would have done so with Star Trek, but they had an uncut showing of the original program, which I recorded. Now they have redone many of the special effects, so (like the first three Star Wars films) the originals are not easy to find, and with so many versions, it's hard to know which is the best one to have.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #50 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Right now Amazon has the complete series of "Leave It To Beaver" for $92.99 and "The Andy Griffith Show" for $99.95.Free shipping,of course.
I'll have to consider the price for a while,but i just maaay go for at least one of the two.Do those prices seem 'good' to anybody?? or can they be had cheaper if i wait???

Actually i have most of "The Andy Griffith Show" eps. on VHS tape that i recorded off tv(TV Land i think) back in the late 80's-early 90's,but the tapes are in such baad shape that i don't want to attempt a transfer to disc because although they still play,they don't play well anymore.I guess i should just throw them away.
post #51 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 86
$92.99 seems like a good price, buy.com has it for $126.99
http://www.buy.com/prod/leave-it-to-...214870222.html
Amazon had the Andy Griffith show for $77.99 but it was 10 months ago.
http://deals.woot.com/deals/search?q...+Griffith+Show

I'm a firm believer in purchasing The complete series collections whenever possible(the price is low enough) because 1). They are in the order they aired. 2). They are uncut and free of screen clutter. 3). The picture quality is generally much better than what you may have recorded off TV, especially if you recorded to video tape.
I recently purchased Gilligans Island The Complete Season from Amazon for $34.99, it's now over $46.....I swear they set prices by a roulette wheel over at Amazon!
http://deals.woot.com/deals/search?q=Gilligans+island
The picture quality of Gilligans was very good and probably came from the original film, I never remember it that good on my 23" Philco counsel
post #52 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said, at Amazon The Dick Van Dyke show is now under $100. If it had been that price when I startd the project, I *MIGHT* have gone for it, but for $175, I decided to do it myself. Also, my sister wants a copy, and making a copy of DVDs I made myself from off the air TV is, as far as I know, legal, but to make copied of my purchased DVDs, is, illegal.

I also got just too tired of attempting to get all the episodes of Rocky & Bullwinkle (yeah, really). They are shown in such a haphazard fashon in syndication. I just bought them. Sigh... Parts of them are still REALLY funny, not just because of the nostalgia factor.

I also (hesitate to say it) have nearly all the episodes of Doctor Who going all the way back to the Pertwee era. I must have lost a tape or two because I am missing a few of the Pertwee stories, but aside from that, I have everything. It takes up a whole shelf all by itself. Imagine the space the video tapes took up?

Luke

post #53 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

I'm currently recording Cold Case from ION OTA, as there's no chance in hell it will ever get released to DVD uncut/unchanged.

I've been waiting patiently for It Takes A Thief complete series to come down from the $100 or so price. My target is $70 or less.
post #54 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Well i pulled the trigger and bought a "Used-like new condition"copy of the complete series of The Andy Griffith Show' for $93.55 w/free 2 day shipping,'course i had to accept a free 30 day trial of Amazon Prime which of course i'll cancel before the 30 days are up.
I HAD to order "Andy" cuz i just can't stand the idea of going thru the rest of my life w/o Don Knotts!!
post #55 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2be View Post

I'm currently recording Cold Case from ION OTA, as there's no chance in hell it will ever get released to DVD uncut/unchanged...

Your earlier comment about recording Cold Case got me curious. I've now become a fan and watch CC whenever I can.

Cold Case is better than watching the same reruns of old NCIS, Law and Order and CSI episodes. I like the original NICS, Law and Order, Criminal Intent and CSI LV and NYC series; but I dislike NCIS LA, L&O SVU and CSI Miami. I like the Mentalist but dislike Criminal Minds. I also like Blue Bloods and Alcatraz. I like New Girl only because of "adorkable" Zoey but I don't care for her sister's Bones program.

I record Grimm, Alcatraz and New Girl. I also record Alfred Hitchcock, Burns and Allen and Jack Benny from AntennaTV and Naked City from RTV.

As to shows filmed locally, I really like Grimm but I don't care for Leverage or Portlandia.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #56 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 05:42 PM

Got Season 2 of Star Trek last week.
Walmart had it for 49.99.
The packing is Junk.Transfer to inland 4 pack.It took 2.
The 1st year is the same type of packing.CSI Sea 1&2 are like that also.

Seems like everbody had the TOS of Star Trek for 39.99 2 years ago.Got the 1st year at that time.
post #57 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Your earlier comment about recording Cold Case got me curious. I've now become a fan and watch CC whenever I can.

Cold Case is better than watching the same reruns of old NCIS, Law and Order and CSI episodes. I like the original NICS, Law and Order, Criminal Intent and CSI LV and NYC series; but I dislike NCIS LA, L&O SVU and CSI Miami. I like the Mentalist but dislike Criminal Minds. I also like Blue Bloods and Alcatraz. I like New Girl only because of "adorkable" Zoey but I don't care for her sister's Bones program.

I record Grimm, Alcatraz and New Girl. I also record Alfred Hitchcock, Burns and Allen and Jack Benny from AntennaTV and Naked City from RTV.

As to shows filmed locally, I really like Grimm but I don't care for Leverage or Portlandia.

I agree with all your choices but gave up early on on Alcatraz. New girl took a while longer to give up on, as you said Zoey is just so "adorkable" but the rest of the cast leaves me board. I have all the Alfred Hitchcock episodes on the complete seasons of but sadly have no access to AntennaTV nor RTV. AFA Grimm, it's also on my recording list but every time I watch it I think to myself, man they must have a lot of crazy crime in Portland to not think all the activity is normal
Unforgettable is also a nice addition this year which I hope stays around not to mention Castle which I've been watching since the beginning. I'm on the fence with Smash(like the singing/dancing) but dislike much of the backstage stuff.
If you haven't seen Nikita(the only show I really watch on the WB) I'd really suggest it. It's got lots of fast action and beautiful eye candy, Maggie Q is worth the price of admission not to mention Lyndsy Fonseca, time for a cold shower
post #58 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I should've been done by now, but during my editing of early episodes I noticed some OTA signal blips that made a handful of my recordings useless, so now I'm playing the waiting game of getting re-airs to replace the bad ones. I need to make sure I get them all burned in order.
post #59 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 06:40 PM

Mom
Had nothing in 2008.Joined Columbia housetv.2 for 1.
CSI sea 1--Murder she wrote sea 1.Probably 41 eps.Total.

Just got Remington Steele sea 1&2 Sea 4 Murder S-W.
Grand total now 5-2-2012 757 episodes.

Made a watch List for her.Using baby legal pad 8x5
Check em off as you go!
post #60 of 142 Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Check out this link from TV.com to see which shows are or are not coming back next year. It is supposedly being updated to be current.

There is far more of interest on network TV than I have time to watch during the regular season. I set the media-PC or the TiVo to record the new shows like Alcatraz, The River, Terra Nova, Fringe, etc. TiVo Desktop is always running on my media-PC and auto-transfers the TiVo recordings to network storage as soon as they have been captured. Between the TiVo and the media-PC I have 4 tuners, so I don't miss anything I really want. I'll collect the whole season, use Video ReDo in batch mode to cut out the commercials and stream them from network storage to a media player during the summer months.

One advantage of doing it this way is that many new shows get booted after the season -- some during the season. If a new show I have collected gets canceled, I don't bother watching it and just flush it from the NAS. Why bother getting invested in a show with no future. There is so much other stuff to watch that has a couple seasons behind it. I didn't start watching the episodes of Fringe I collected until the end of the third season. I still have the last 3 seasons of "24" to watch.

I swore I would cap the network storage at 8TB and transfer the overflow to BD-R but if it wasn't for the current flood-induced high HDD prices, I would have at least another 4TB by now -- HD/5.1 does take up a bit more storage space than SD/2.0, but it's worth it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page