what shows on OTA do you record regulary - Page 7 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 03:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
I just checked on my series recording of Kung Fu and discovered Zap2it has listing errors for the Decades channel here. My WMC recordings are hosed. Kung Fu is playing but The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is listed.
Ken.F is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 04:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,249
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
It's hard to tell because it's only a SD channel and looks a bit fuzzy on my larger LCD but it sure looks better than what a syndicated video tape version would. I can tell for sure it was shot on film as I see the occasional scratch or dust that gets in front of the lens, I don't think it was remastered as normally when they do that they get rid of all the scratches and imperfections but it looks pretty decent anyway. Since the commercials also look a bit fuzzy I think thats more to do with the channel than quality of the program they are broadcasting.
My first impressions last night was on a 37" bedroom LCD and I was pretty impressed, this morning on a 52" and it looks "OK". Overall I'm satisfied, not BD quality but better than tape quality
Oh, one last impression. After watching Kung Fu for about 20 minutes on my larger screen I got totally used to the picture quality, after I switched channels back to an HD channel I was blown away by the great quality, like when I first got the HDTV. I notice a similar thing after being on vacation and not watching a decent TV for several days, when I go back to mine it's like WOW, that looks good!
jjeff is offline  
post #183 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I just checked on my series recording of Kung Fu and discovered Zap2it has listing errors for the Decades channel here. My WMC recordings are hosed. Kung Fu is playing but The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is listed.
No such problem with Tribune. The To-Do list on my TiVo is booked solid with Kung Fu every hour until Saturday.
Ken.F likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #184 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 09:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
It's hard to tell because it's only a SD channel and looks a bit fuzzy on my larger LCD but it sure looks better than what a syndicated video tape version would. I can tell for sure it was shot on film as I see the occasional scratch or dust that gets in front of the lens, I don't think it was remastered as normally when they do that they get rid of all the scratches and imperfections but it looks pretty decent anyway.
I looked up the series DVD's in Netflix and on Amazon. According to them, the season 1 DVD's are 16:9/stereo, but seasons 2 & 3 DVD's are 4:3 and Mono.

According to the listings, Season 2 episodes started at 11:00AM (EST) today and so the first one (The Well) is already on my TiVo with more recording continuously. I'll be able to tell when I get home today if the broadcast is still 16:9 or has reverted to 4:3. If it has gone to 4:3 for the later seasons I'm going to be seriously disappointed and my enthusiasm for continuing to record them will have waned.

LOL, can you imagine if you had to set this up on a DVD recorder with manual programming -- 65 individual episodes back to back over 3 days?

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #185 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
LOL, can you imagine if you had to set this up on a DVD recorder with manual programming -- 65 individual episodes back to back over 3 days?
If I used my manual schedule DVD recorders I wouldn't have missed any episodes. I could have done 12 hour recording blocks and split the individual episodes out later.
Ken.F is offline  
post #186 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I appreciate makemkv.








Babylon 5- 4th year--The Untouchables Sea1 Vol.1. from Big Lots 3 yrs ago.....
go over to www.dvdpricesearch.com
Search Kung Fu season. Think about what you like.

Last edited by MarkB49; 04-24-2015 at 08:30 AM.
MarkB49 is offline  
post #187 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,249
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I looked up the series DVD's in Netflix and on Amazon. According to them, the season 1 DVD's are 16:9/stereo, but seasons 2 & 3 DVD's are 4:3 and Mono.
Interesting, IMdb says 4:3 for all seasons although that makes more sense to me since all TVs were 4:3 and mono back then. I suppose it could have been shot 16:9 stereo but cropped and downmixed for broadcast, but that wouldn't make sense. I've also read 35mm is native 4:3 so again it doesn't make sense to have been shot masked for 16:9......
I will tell you though, what I saw last night was shown in 16:9 in my market but I didn't look close enough to see if it was simply 4:3 stretched to 16:9.
From IMdb:
Sound Mix Mono Color Color Aspect Ratio 4:3 Negative Format 35 mm Cinematographic Process Spherical Printed Film Format 35 mm

EDIT:
OK I think I see whats going on! Season 1 was "(Cropped to Turn Into Widescreen)" while seasons 2 and 3 were "(As Originally Broadcast
NOT Cropped into Widescreen)"
At least thats what the DVD collections for the various seasons say.
I'll have to look closely tonight to see if heads or feet seem suspiciously cut off.
Reading the reviews of the DVD collection has LOTS! of controversy about the "cropping" that was done to make this 4:3 program fill a 16:9 screen, the vast majority of people were very upset by this.
jjeff is offline  
post #188 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,249
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Kelson or anyone else recording and removing commercials, how long is the resulting program? If much less than 50 minutes then it's possible they have used the syndicated version which has been shorted(up to 5 minutes/episode).....of course they could have also sped it up to fit more commercials but I'm not sure how many minutes/episode that would have shaved off the original 50 minute episodes.
jjeff is offline  
post #189 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 11:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
EDIT:
OK I think I see whats going on! Season 1 was "(Cropped to Turn Into Widescreen)" while seasons 2 and 3 were "(As Originally Broadcast
NOT Cropped into Widescreen)"
At least thats what the DVD collections for the various seasons say.
I'll have to look closely tonight to see if heads or feet seem suspiciously cut off.
OK, I see. I was watching episode 1 and it was not stretched 4:3. The framing looked fine -- no heads cut off.
I'll hold out hope that the station took it upon themselves to frame the next two seasons into 16:9. I have an aversion to playing 4:3 content on my plasmas. Otherwise I can live with the mono -- my AVR will synthesize a sound field.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #190 of 220 Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Kelson or anyone else recording and removing commercials, how long is the resulting program?
Won't know for a while. I started watching the first episode last night and just skipped through the commercials. I'll probably send them all to the server and batch-run commercial detect on them but they will have to sit until I can shake some time loose to edit.

I have a lot of room on the server and the network transfer time of a 1hr episode back to the Roamio is much less than the run time, so I'm less prone to edit commercials before I watch the shows. These are only 1GB/episode and take just ~4min to transfer. Even so, they are so small I may just leave a copy on the Roamio and delete them as I watch them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #191 of 220 Old 04-24-2015, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'll hold out hope that the station took it upon themselves to frame the next two seasons into 16:9. I have an aversion to playing 4:3 content on my plasmas.
Looks like that is exactly what they did. I checked a couple of the season 2 & 3 episodes and they are all framed in 16:9.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #192 of 220 Old 04-24-2015, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
Looks like that is exactly what they did. I checked a couple of the season 2 & 3 episodes and they are all framed in 16:9.
I watched a few of them too. If they cropped them for 16:9 they did a good job.
Ken.F is offline  
post #193 of 220 Old 04-24-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
I'm very pleased with the broadcasts. I have over 50 episodes recorded and the marathon finishes up tomorrow. Then I'll shoot them all over to the server and slowly start the commercial editing with VRD. The PQ on the 65" plasma is very watchable. I'm frankly quite surprised just how watchable it is given the low bitrate. The TiVo apparently does a good job up-converting them to 1080p. I'm enjoying the episodes. The circa 1975 acting is laughably dreadful.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #194 of 220 Old 04-25-2015, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
CitiBear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,108
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'll be able to tell when I get home today if the broadcast is still 16:9 or has reverted to 4:3. If it has gone to 4:3 for the later seasons I'm going to be seriously disappointed and my enthusiasm for continuing to record them will have waned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'll hold out hope that the station took it upon themselves to frame the next two seasons into 16:9. I have an aversion to playing 4:3 content on my plasmas.
Oh, boy: if this is now YOUR view re preserving original aspect ratios, all hope for that in future is already lost (once the hard-core videophiles decide they can't be bothered with side bars, its over).

I get that you might be worried about plasma burn-in, its a significant concern for those with irreplaceable Panasonic and Kuro screens, but I'd rather "retro" channels not tamper with the source material and leave it a personal choice how to set our TV framing controls. Once they start routinely cropping 4:3 into 16:9, we'll steadily lose access to the originals (if you didn't already buy it in the heyday of TV-on-DVD sets, you'll be stuck recording the crops).

The whole notion of launching a new slate of nostalgia channels that will crop old 4:3 TV series to 16:9 seems so odd to me. Who is the target audience? Probably those who remember when the shows were first aired. Being one of that audience, I'd find it unnatural and off-putting to see "Perry Mason," "Route 66," "Outer Limits" etc in cropped/skewed 16:9. But that seems to be the minority view now, so I'm glad I recorded nearly everything I wanted over the past few years from MeTV other 4:3 sources.

I was really looking forward to recording the 500 episode FXX "Simpsons" marathon last summer, but was disappointed to discover they had all been cropped, pushed, pulled, and skewed into 16:9. Half the visual sight gags were lost in the process, and Marge's hair gets knocked down to a crew cut in 90% of the scenes. That was an unexpected buzzkill.
CitiBear is offline  
post #195 of 220 Old 04-25-2015, 10:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post
Oh, boy: if this is now YOUR view re preserving original aspect ratios, all hope for that in future is already lost (once the hard-core videophiles decide they can't be bothered with side bars, its over).
This is a special case. Except for a small handful of shows, I have no interest in 40yr old 4:3 TV series. I dislike 4:3 on a 16:9 panel as much as I dislike SD in general -- I am an admitted HD snob. I have no qualms about them framing an old show for 16:9. I'm not going to watch it as a purist because it is already in SD with a bitrate well below DVD quality and comparable to recording in 4hr mode on a DVD recorder at Full D1. Yes it really is that bad -- the average 1hr episode size is 1GB which means 4hr easily fits on a DVD-R. Fortunately I'm recording the original digital transport stream.

So bottom line -- the PQ already sucks big-time compared to OTA HD, so it's no big deal about framing to 16:9 and at least making it palatable to watch on a 65" panel. If it wasn't Kung Fu, I would never have considered recording it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #196 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Dark Shadows starts tonight on Decades.
Ken.F is offline  
post #197 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 04:01 AM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
We have DECADES as of Sat. 5-9-15.
On 69.2 .........Love American Style then Route 66..... Were the 1st ones that I have seen.
I wish they would update their schedule.
My Smart LG Tv will keep up with it for about 12 hours.
MarkB49 is offline  
post #198 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
We have DECADES as of Sat. 5-9-15.
On 69.2 .........Love American Style then Route 66..... Were the 1st ones that I have seen.
I wish they would update their schedule.
My Smart LG Tv will keep up with it for about 12 hours.
http://www.decades.com/file/DECADES_...e_03052015.pdf
Ken.F is offline  
post #199 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 05:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Dark Shadows starts tonight on Decades.
It's only on for 3 days. There's like a thousand episodes of Dark Shadows. 3 days of running isn't enough to cover seasons 1 & 2.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #200 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
It's only on for 3 days. There's like a thousand episodes of Dark Shadows. 3 days of running isn't enough to cover seasons 1 & 2.
I noticed Decades only gave it a 68 hour block.
This is what TitanTV shows for the first episode on Decades:
Dark Shadows
KYW-DT2 - 3.2 - Wed, 5/13, 6:00 PM 30 min
4/17/1967, Horror, Drama, Suspense, Soap Opera, Supernatural
Everyone at Collinwood is under the impression that Will will be leaving town; Willie Loomis tries to open the tomb of Naomi Collins in order to find the jewelry buried with her, where he finds a secret room housing a coffin.


The TVDB thinks that episode is Season 3 Episode 19 "DS-210".
Ken.F is offline  
post #201 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 02:24 PM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
I have this. Starting back on 4-15-15.
They haven't updated in 2 months. On 5-23-25-2015
we will see what Decades is all about.
MarkB49 is offline  
post #202 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 2,793
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
I have this. Starting back on 4-15-15.
They haven't updated in 2 months. On 5-23-25-2015
we will see what Decades is all about.
I guess you were the first to post that schedule.

TitanTV.com has the guide listings for the next two weeks. It currently goes to the end of the day on the 26th if you want to check it out. It looks like they are going to have a mix of old movies and series re-runs after the 25th. I don't know if they will occasionally do series marathons again but that doesn't appear to be their normal programming style.
Ken.F is offline  
post #203 of 220 Old 05-13-2015, 04:36 PM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I guess you were the first to post that schedule.

TitanTV.com has the guide listings for the next two weeks. It currently goes to the end of the day on the 26th if you want to check it out. It looks like they are going to have a mix of old movies and series re-runs after the 25th. I don't know if they will occasionally do series marathons again but that doesn't appear to be their normal programming style.
Atlanta & Seattle soft launched on 5-9-15. Both are
TheCW and both are owned by CBS.
46.1 in Atlanta is a CBS Channel but owned by Meredith.
The last 1 we don't have is Heroes & Icons.
MarkB49 is offline  
post #204 of 220 Old 05-16-2015, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Decades 5-25-15


6am The Fugitive Season 4 ep.30 The Judgment . That ends the Binge from Decades.
7am Through the Decades
8am Movie-Hair
10:30am Hogan's Heroes Sea.1 Ep.1 The Informer
11am Hogan's Heroes Sea1 Ep.2 Hold that Tiger
11:30am Rat Patrol Sea.1 Ep.1 The Cease Fire Raid
12pm Rat Patrol Sea.1 Ep.2 The Life Against Death Raid
Re-Runs Every Show from 7am-12pm ...........................Through-Out the Night.




my zap2it stops at 5-27-15.
MarkB49 is offline  
post #205 of 220 Old 05-16-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,249
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post
Decades 5-25-15
10:30am Hogan's Heroes Sea.1 Ep.1 The Informer
11am Hogan's Heroes Sea1 Ep.2 Hold that Tiger
....
I believe those first two episodes of HH were B&W, it would be interesting to see what the later color episodes would look like, picture quality wise. They were originally shot on 35mm film and were remastered a while back. I have them on DVD and they look about as good as DVD can, which is actually quite good, not HD but darn near it. I'd be disappointed if they used the old syndicated versions which were probably stored on video tape at one point and look like it, like basically good VHS quality.
jjeff is offline  
post #206 of 220 Old 05-16-2015, 12:26 PM
Senior Member
 
MarkB49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Metro Atlanta
Posts: 330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 12
jeff
The second is in Color.
I have the 1st season of HH. I put it on my HD a couple of weeks ago.
Couldn't remember if it was in color either. CBS pops up then they say....... In Color.
That being the 2nd episode" Hold that Tiger".....The Actress that played Spock's wife
in Star T. Amok Time. --Arlene Martel was agent Tiger.
MarkB49 is offline  
post #207 of 220 Old 05-17-2015, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I believe those first two episodes of HH were B&W, it would be interesting to see what the later color episodes would look like, picture quality wise. They were originally shot on 35mm film and were remastered a while back. I have them on DVD and they look about as good as DVD can, which is actually quite good, not HD but darn near it.
+1 for your comment about the PQ on the HH DVD's....i have the complete series and don't see how it could be any better...like you say...not HD but darn near it.

Kinda hard for me to believe that most of the actors are dead now.

Last edited by greaser; 05-17-2015 at 09:50 AM.
greaser is offline  
post #208 of 220 Old 05-17-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,249
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
+1 for your comment about the PQ on the HH DVD's....i have the complete series and don't see how it could be any better...like you say...not HD but darn near it.

Kinda hard for me to believe that most of the actors are dead now.
Yes I don't buy all that many commercial DVDs but I did spring for HH, partially because the first season I got was so good PQ. I purchased them one season at a time as they came out, later they came out with a Komplete set series set which had a few extras not found on my individual seasons but I wasn't about to purchase the whole series over again
I didn't watch HH live but rather in reruns in the early 70s and through the early 80s but yes I'd imagine quite a few of it's actors are now gone, for sure Bob Crane who I believe died shortly after the series concluded, under some speculation. Several years back I watched a movie about Bob which shed some light on his life and how he may have died.
jjeff is offline  
post #209 of 220 Old 05-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member
 
greaser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 782
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes I don't buy all that many commercial DVDs but I did spring for HH, partially because the first season I got was so good PQ. I purchased them one season at a time as they came out, later they came out with a Komplete set series set which had a few extras not found on my individual seasons but I wasn't about to purchase the whole series over again
I didn't watch HH live but rather in reruns in the early 70s and through the early 80s but yes I'd imagine quite a few of it's actors are now gone, for sure Bob Crane who I believe died shortly after the series concluded, under some speculation. Several years back I watched a movie about Bob which shed some light on his life and how he may have died.
I forgot all about the "K' in the Komplete series...I bought the series a few yrs.ago...it's the "KOMMANDANT'S KOLLECTION".
I watched it as a kid during its original airing...one of the best series ever on tv IMHO,first rate writing and acting...never missed an episode...it came on tv only about 1/2 hr.after my Boy Scout meetings ended.Used to get home just in time to see it.

Bob Crane was murdered in Phoenix in 1978...Werner Klemperer and Ivan Dixon both died a few yrs.ago... IIRC John Banner(Schultz)is buried in Austria...Richard Dawson and Robert Clary are both dead...not sure about Larry Hovis (Sgt Carter).

Have read that the studio originally wanted to do HH as a drama but Werner Klemperer wouldn't play the Kommandant in any other way but as a "buffoon" (WK was a German Jew who didn't exactly love the Nazi's)...the studio at first declined his wish,but eventually gave in and HH was born as a comedy to poke fun at and make a joke of,the Nazi's.The rest is history...
greaser is offline  
post #210 of 220 Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 11,324
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
So bottom line -- the PQ already sucks big-time compared to OTA HD, so it's no big deal about framing to 16:9 and at least making it palatable to watch on a 65" panel. If it wasn't Kung Fu, I would never have considered recording it.
I've been slowly watching these Kung Fu recordings on my TiVo and I have to say that even on my 65" plasma the PQ is really not too bad. Yes, of course it is not HD but the encoding seems to have been done pretty well and the TiVo is really good at scaling it to 1080p. I don't see any macro-blocking or fast scene distortion. Overall the picture is just kind of very soft -- i.e. on facial closeups, nobody seems to have any pores on their skin -- and dark scenes do suffer more than a little.

All in all it is very watchable from a PQ standpoint. From a content standpoint, well that's another thing. The show is really laughable from an acting and character standpoint -- very much like watching the old Shatner/Nimoy StarTrek episodes. I don't know if I'll actually make it through the 3 seasons. LOL

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off