what shows on OTA do you record regulary - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #241 of 266 Old 08-19-2015, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1267 Post(s)
Liked: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Speak your mind today and you'll be called a racist ...or intolerant ....or a homophobe BS!!
So you don't like being ostracized by society because you don't conform to what the majority has decided to be normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 266 Old 08-19-2015, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 901
johnny carson

Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1.
Antenna TV has struck a multi-year deal with Carson Entertainment Group to license hundreds of hours of the NBC late-night institution. Antenna will run episodes that aired from 1972 through the end of Carson’s 30-year reign in in 1992. Because NBC owns the rights to “The Tonight Show” moniker, Antenna TV’s episodes will be billed simply as “Johnny Carson.”
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime.”Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1.
Antenna TV has struck a multi-year deal with Carson Entertainment Group to license hundreds of hours of the NBC late-night institution. Antenna will run episodes that aired from 1972 through the end of Carson’s 30-year reign in in 1992. Because NBC owns the rights to “The Tonight Show” moniker, Antenna TV’s episodes will be billed simply as “Johnny Carson.”
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime.”
Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1.
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his primeThe 1972-1992 episodes have been digitized and meticulously transcribed and catalogued. The master tapes are buried 600 feet below the earth in a salt mine in Hutchinson, Kan. There are multiple digital copies housed in safe locations as well, according to Sotzing..”http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/john...tv-1201568250/
greaser and tomintn like this.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; 08-19-2015 at 11:03 AM.
post #243 of 266 Old 08-19-2015, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
.....“Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime....
JC was my favorite talkshow host as he was for many people...i'd like to see those old shows again...it'd be a nice walk down memory lane
Unfortunately Antenna TV isn't in my area.

Last edited by greaser; 08-19-2015 at 11:15 AM.
post #244 of 266 Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
I know in the past (sometimes) TV stations and smaller networks would get a multi-generation dub and it would look bad like ¾ Umatic tape even though the first gen tape was a lot higher quality format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I do understand that, and it's probably why something like Hogans Heroes looked so bad in syndication even though it was originally shot in glorious 35mm but the remastered DVD set looks almost HD. AitF on the other hand looks rather poor even on the official DVD set which I'd think would have been taken from the original or similar quality prints. No I think it goes back to the source with AitF, fine by 70s standards but really lacking on a 50"+ 1080p flat screen. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to watch and I don't regret the purchase but unlike HH the picture quality is not a plus whatsoever.
Maybe it wasn't or maybe it was shot on a crap format while using crappy video cameras. Does Three’s Company” or Married with Children” ring a bell? But sometimes even if they used a better format they can’t go back and re-master. Sometimes the original may be lost or damaged beyond repair. Sometimes it would just cost too much to re-master from the original. I have some 1980s DVD concerts that were shot for TV using 4:3 ratio 16 mm film and I know that these DVDs were not re-mastered from the original 16mm film but most likely were re-mastered from the original 1980s re-master NTSC tape. I don’t know if the original 16 mm films were lost or damaged. Maybe not, maybe it would just cost too much for the return they are getting from DVD sales.

On another note I just watched the movie “The Road Builder” on TCM and this copy of the movie was mastered in 4:3 and it looked like ¾ umatic. On TCM!
post #245 of 266 Old 09-21-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

What new shows look good for the fall season?
phildaant likes this.
post #246 of 266 Old 09-21-2015, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
These are on my list (which may end up being trimmed radically after the premiere episodes air):
  • Minority Report
  • Blindspot
  • The Muppets
  • Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris (seen first episode; undecided)
  • Limitless
  • Rosewood
  • Heroes Reborn
  • The Player
  • Quantico (quite possibly first one I'll drop from my schedule)
  • Supergirl

I also have some returning shows on my list:
  • Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
  • The Flash
  • Doctor Who
  • CSI: Cyber
  • The Librarians

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #247 of 266 Old 09-21-2015, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
These are on my list (which may end up being trimmed radically after the premiere episodes air):
  • Minority Report
  • Blindspot
  • The Muppets
  • Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris (seen first episode; undecided)
  • Limitless
  • Rosewood
  • Heroes Reborn
  • The Player
  • Quantico (quite possibly first one I'll drop from my schedule)
  • Supergirl
Nice list. I'm going to start out with Minority Report, Blindspot, Limitless and Rosewood. I'll try to remember Supergirl in late October. I'm not sure about Quantico. I'm burned out on the NCIS/CSI/SUV type shows so that one will have to be different somehow for me to be interested. I like NPH but I'll pass on Best Time Ever. I don't care for reality tv or game shows.
post #248 of 266 Old 09-21-2015, 06:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
Quote:
With 2 TiVo's, 8 tuners and a TiVo server with a huge amount of storage for collecting recordings, I record everything that looks remotely interesting. Will end up deleting half of them.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #249 of 266 Old 09-22-2015, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime.”Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1.
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime.”
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his primeThe 1972-1992 episodes have been digitized and meticulously transcribed and catalogued. The master tapes are buried 600 feet below the earth in a salt mine in Hutchinson, Kan. There are multiple digital copies housed in safe locations as well, according to Sotzing..”http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/john...tv-1201568250/
I've always loved the Turner Classic Movies fillers (about 15-20 minutes) of Carson with a guest. With "Carson" going OTA on Antenna TV, my DVR will be running.
post #250 of 266 Old 09-22-2015, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
OTA: Heroes Reborn, Muppets, and Supergirl so far. Minority Report pilot sucked badly.

Last edited by phildaant; 09-22-2015 at 09:13 AM.
post #251 of 266 Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
OTA: Heroes Reborn, Muppets, and Supergirl so far. Minority Report pilot sucked badly.
I agree about Minority Report but I haven't given up completely on yet. It seemed to me like they tried too hard with the futuristic gadgets. The young twins reminded me of Niles and Holland from The Other. It might just be a coincidence but they were dressed very much the same.

I'm checking out Scream Queens and Limitless tonight.
post #252 of 266 Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Minority Report pilot sucked badly.
I'm not surprised. I'm also expecting Limitless to suck -- that looked like a loser right from the start, including the movie. Also, I have the feeling the same will be the case for the Hero's reboot. The Blindspot pilot didn't get real warm reviews as an obvious Blacklist pretender.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fringe rebooted -- for that matter FireFly. If they want to make series based on old movies, why not pick a movie that was obviously made to have sequels and left you hanging for the next installment, but flopped at the box office so the sequels were never made. Off hand, I can think of The Last Airbender, I am Number Four and Golden Compass. The series can pick up where the movie left off which provides the back story.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #253 of 266 Old 10-20-2015, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

AntennaTV is running a 17 hour mini-marathon of Alfred Hitchcock Presents starting at 1:00 PM (eastern) on October 31st.
post #254 of 266 Old 10-23-2015, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Ken.
I'm so spoiled by KODI and YouTube that I've lost track of the Subs or Digit channels.

My Titan shows that those AH's are of the 1/2 hour variety.
I'll set-up my 535 and record a few.

KODI --Genesis
You can watch Everything...well Almost.

They Didn't have that Award Winner lol
"The Mole Men verses The Son of Hercules"
But You Tube has that one and a few others that are hard to find.

The Son of Hercules pulling with a 2" Rope a Whale is the opening scene. It's pretty bad PQ. Fun to see something I hadn't seen since the 1960's on ch.2

MarkB

Last edited by MarkB49; 10-23-2015 at 09:22 PM.
post #255 of 266 Old 12-10-2015, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

A local show in Nashville, TN, The Retirement Report (5-2/5.2 or 25.2). A very good financial advisor, Hank Parrott.
Stargate SG-1 on Comet TV (30-3/30.3); Muscle Car, Horsepower TV, Trucks!, & Extreme 4X4, on Grit (58-3/58.3).

Buzzr has started this week on 40-1/40.1. Always liked What's My Line, & many others.
post #256 of 266 Old 12-10-2015, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomintn View Post
I've always loved the Turner Classic Movies fillers (about 15-20 minutes) of Carson with a guest. With "Carson" going OTA on Antenna TV, my DVR will be running.
Yep! This is definately to be recorded! Even better, Antenna TV is moving in Nashville from LP 7.5 to high power 15.5!

Last edited by tomintn; 12-10-2015 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Easily confused. :)
post #257 of 266 Old 12-10-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Buzzr has become one of my favorite channels to catch on the fly. Like you my favorite are the older B&W game shows like Whats My Line and others. I like it when a very young Carson is one of the panelist. Unfortunately the old B&W ones seem to be on during the day when I work but I do occasionally get home early or on non work days I like to catch them. Of course I could just record them on one of my many recording devices but for things like this I like to just catch them on the fly, if I started recording things like that I'd get WAY! behind on my backlog.
I also like some of the color 70s game shows like with Richard Dawson, Betty While, Charles Nelson Riley, etc. but my favorites are the real oldies form the golden age of television.
I believe were going to get Comet and I do occasionally watch Grit, sub channels.....I don't exactly like what they can do for the picture quality of the main channel but if they keep the number down to a minimum it doesn't get too bad and I do like to watch them, all for FREE! I have no interest in "pay" TV and all it's reality type programming, I can barely keep up with what I have available for free OTA
I also like watching some of the old talk shows like Dick Cavett and others, the Judy Garland show has also been playing on one of the subs in my area and I do look forward to some of the old Carson shows airing again.
post #258 of 266 Old 12-13-2015, 03:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I'm not surprised. I'm also expecting Limitless to suck -- that looked like a loser right from the start, including the movie. Also, I have the feeling the same will be the case for the Hero's reboot. The Blindspot pilot didn't get real warm reviews as an obvious Blacklist pretender.

I wouldn't mind seeing Fringe rebooted -- for that matter FireFly. If they want to make series based on old movies, why not pick a movie that was obviously made to have sequels and left you hanging for the next installment, but flopped at the box office so the sequels were never made. Off hand, I can think of The Last Airbender, I am Number Four and Golden Compass. The series can pick up where the movie left off which provides the back story.
Once in a while I see some "Firefly" episodes listed, probably on SyFy. I've seen them all either on TV or DVD. I picked up the Blu-ray series a few months ago but haven't watched it yet.
post #259 of 266 Old 12-13-2015, 03:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Regarding MeTV and its sister station MeToo, at least in the Chicagoland market. I’ve noticed some of the old TV programs come & go & come back again. Or they swap between the two stations.

Long time ago I was recording “77 Sunset Strip” on one of those stations & they stopped showing it. Something like 6-12 months later I noticed it was on the other station.

Not long ago I was recording “Cannon” & IIRC it was on every day. Then it wasn’t on at all. Then it came back on once a week & broadcast some of the episodes I’ve already watched from about a year ago.

If you missed getting some of the “Honeymooners” episodes for example, don’t give up because they may be re-broadcast again, and again.
post #260 of 266 Old 12-13-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
Once in a while I see some "Firefly" episodes listed, probably on SyFy. I've seen them all either on TV or DVD. I picked up the Blu-ray series a few months ago but haven't watched it yet.
I have FireFly on Amazon Prime.

- kelson h

post #261 of 266 Old 01-02-2016, 06:00 AM
AVS Special Member

The Philadelphia area now has Comet. It replaced the Mummer channel on 17.4 as of yesterday. I scheduled a couple of Dr. Goldfoot movies to record this afternoon.
post #262 of 266 Old 01-04-2016, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Quote:
The Philadelphia area now has Comet. It replaced the Mummer channel on 17.4 as of yesterday. I scheduled a couple of Dr. Goldfoot movies to record this afternoon.
That's disappointing, if only for the reason that while channel surfing, I'd stop on the Mummer channel, turn to my wife and say, "Hey look! Mummers!" She was never impressed.
post #263 of 266 Old 01-04-2016, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreySkies View Post
That's disappointing, if only for the reason that while channel surfing, I'd stop on the Mummer channel, turn to my wife and say, "Hey look! Mummers!" She was never impressed.
How can anyone not be impressed by Mummers? I've never seen a group of people work so hard at having fun.
GreySkies likes this.
post #264 of 266 Old 05-13-2016, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

NBC announced their cancellations today. Telenovela, Undateable, Crowded, Game of Silence and Heartbeat got the axe. NBC should be announcing their new schedule on Sunday.
phildaant likes this.
post #265 of 266 Old 05-13-2016, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

CBS is moving Supergirl to the CW for Season 2! They must be trying to bump CW viewer ratings.
phildaant likes this.
post #266 of 266 Old Today, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

"Better Late Than Never" starts tonight (NBC). I like Henry Winkler, William Shatner and George Foreman. I can tolerate Terry Bradshaw if he doesn't try too hard to be funny. I want this show to be good but I'm not sure it will last a full season.
http://www.nbc.com/better-late-than-never

What else looks good this season?

Fall schedule:
http://www.cinemablend.com/televisio...eturning-shows
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)