what shows on OTA do you record regulary - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #241 of 244 Old Today, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 730 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post
Speak your mind today and you'll be called a racist ...or intolerant ....or a homophobe BS!!
So you don't like being ostracized by society because you don't conform to what the majority has decided to be normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 244 Old Today, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 887
johnny carson

Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1.
Antenna TV has struck a multi-year deal with Carson Entertainment Group to license hundreds of hours of the NBC late-night institution. Antenna will run episodes that aired from 1972 through the end of Carson’s 30-year reign in in 1992. Because NBC owns the rights to “The Tonight Show” moniker, Antenna TV’s episodes will be billed simply as “Johnny Carson.”
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime.”Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1.
Antenna TV has struck a multi-year deal with Carson Entertainment Group to license hundreds of hours of the NBC late-night institution. Antenna will run episodes that aired from 1972 through the end of Carson’s 30-year reign in in 1992. Because NBC owns the rights to “The Tonight Show” moniker, Antenna TV’s episodes will be billed simply as “Johnny Carson.”
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime.”
Tribune Media’s Antenna TV, the multicast digital channel devoted to vintage television shows, will run full-length episodes of “The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson” nightly at 11 p.m. ET/8 p.m. PT starting Jan. 1.
“This is not a clip show. This is full episodes of Johnny Carson, the man that everyone in late-night agrees was the greatest host of all time, airing in real time as he did back in the day,” Sean Compton, Tribune’s president of strategic programming and acquisitions, told Variety. “Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his primeThe 1972-1992 episodes have been digitized and meticulously transcribed and catalogued. The master tapes are buried 600 feet below the earth in a salt mine in Hutchinson, Kan. There are multiple digital copies housed in safe locations as well, according to Sotzing..”http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/john...tv-1201568250/
greaser likes this.

MickinCT

Last edited by mickinct; Today at 11:03 AM.
post #243 of 244 Old Today, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post
.....“Tuning in to ‘The Tonight Show’ is like taking a walk down Main Street in Disneyland. The minute you step in there, you feel good and you know it’s a place you want to stay. We cannot wait to bring this show to fans who remember Carson and to a new generation of viewers who have never had the chance to see Johnny in his prime....
JC was my favorite talkshow host as he was for many people...i'd like to see those old shows again...it'd be a nice walk down memory lane
Unfortunately Antenna TV isn't in my area.

Last edited by greaser; Today at 11:15 AM.
post #244 of 244 Unread Today, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
I know in the past (sometimes) TV stations and smaller networks would get a multi-generation dub and it would look bad like ¾ Umatic tape even though the first gen tape was a lot higher quality format.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I do understand that, and it's probably why something like Hogans Heroes looked so bad in syndication even though it was originally shot in glorious 35mm but the remastered DVD set looks almost HD. AitF on the other hand looks rather poor even on the official DVD set which I'd think would have been taken from the original or similar quality prints. No I think it goes back to the source with AitF, fine by 70s standards but really lacking on a 50"+ 1080p flat screen. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun to watch and I don't regret the purchase but unlike HH the picture quality is not a plus whatsoever.
Maybe it wasn't or maybe it was shot on a crap format while using crappy video cameras. Does Three’s Company” or Married with Children” ring a bell? But sometimes even if they used a better format they can’t go back and re-master. Sometimes the original may be lost or damaged beyond repair. Sometimes it would just cost too much to re-master from the original. I have some 1980s DVD concerts that were shot for TV using 4:3 ratio 16 mm film and I know that these DVDs were not re-mastered from the original 16mm film but most likely were re-mastered from the original 1980s re-master NTSC tape. I don’t know if the original 16 mm films were lost or damaged. Maybe not, maybe it would just cost too much for the return they are getting from DVD sales.

On another note I just watched the movie “The Road Builder” on TCM and this copy of the movie was mastered in 4:3 and it looked like ¾ umatic. On TCM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page