what shows on OTA do you record regulary - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
what shows on OTA do you record regulary and are they Hi def. or standard def.?

for me CBS Monday night Hawaie 5 0 nice scenceary and awesome audio it's broadcast in high def.

STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

what shows on OTA do you record regulary and are they Hi def. or standard def.?

for me CBS Monday night Hawaie 5 0 nice scenceary and awesome audio it's broadcast in high def.

STB

From ME-TV i record "Perry Mason"(i have 180 of 244 b&w eps.),and "Twilight Zone eps.(lost count)(SD only).A couple of months ago they started showing the 1hr.Twilight Zone eps.,(18 eps.total)and i recorded 16 of those,but for some reason there are 2 eps.that they either will not or cannot air.Iv'e been waiting for them to be shown but am losing confidence that they will ever be shown I also used to record"The Honeymooner's"eps.(~80-90 eps.)until ME-TV cancelled it.Then i bought "The Classic 39"Honeymooners eps.now i probably have many of all the Honeymooners eps.I also recorded all 112?? eps.of The Untouchables.Was gonna record "Thriller"eps.but decided against it,but who knows,i might change my mind 'bout that.
post #3 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The problem with recording off the air syndicated programs, especially older ones, is the amount of program material that has been cut to make room for additional commercials. I attempted to record all of the original Outer Limits episodes, but the cuts were so numerous, and in such inappropriate places, I gave up and purchase the DVD set. The same with The Man From U.N.C.L.E.. I could have lived with the cuts for time if they had been done appropriately, but not the way they were handled.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
^^I have all the TWZ episodes on bought DVDs including a book explaining why various episodes are never broadcast(but they are on my complete seasons on DVD). I've also got the 39 episodes of the Honeymooners which I understand are all that were ever made. Now if your talking about the Honeymooners skits that were on The Jackie Gleason Show their are quite a bit more but unfortunately I've never seen full episodes of the The Jackie Gleason Show air, at least in my market.
I used to try and record such things off regular TV but for what The complete seasons on DVD sell for at times I figured it wasn't worth it. Besides I like to have the episodes in the order they aired and without commercials, Wx scrolls and various screen garbage that stations seem insistent on plastering over my screen
As far as what I record, my Tivo To Do List is regularly 1 to 2 pages long/day(8 events/page) of various programs, the vast majority are watched once and deleted but for things like concerts or movies on PBS(uncut, limited screen garbage) I burn to DVD.
post #5 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

jjeff you're right about the Classic 39,but the eps.(skits)shown on ME-TV,i think were done pretty well.There are some obvious cuts in a few of them,but there were a fair number of them that were split into 2 parts because they were too long(up to ~ 45 mins.),which is preferable to cutting them.But i think most of them didn't need much,if any cutting because they were so short.I do remember seeing,on more than one occasion,where 2 skits were shown in the same half hr.time slot.
After editing out commercials,the recordings look great,and ther is no screen clutter on ME-TV except their bug in the lower right corner which i don't think is overly offensive. For many of the eps.of the different shows i recorded,i was there watching as i recorded,and me being Real quick on the draw,i was/am able to hit the 'pause' button at just the right times,so i didn't have to go back and edit out too many commercials. I don't care at all whether the eps.are in order of their original air dates.That doesn't concern me since none of them are part of a running series,and so none of the eps.have anything to do with each other.
post #6 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

To bad about those lousy recordings Church.I have 180 "Perry Mason"eps.Those were originally ~50 mins.long,the length of the eps. i recorded from ME-TV are ~45 mins.long.Five min.cut,yet with most of the eps.i have a hard time telling where the cuts were made,there are a very few exceptions for sure,but for the most part the cuts were very discreetly made.
post #7 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Here's what I'm pulling from OTA these days:
  • Lawrence Welk for my parents
  • Almost any opera, real classical concert, ballet, and British mini-series on PBS
  • The Good Wife
  • Once Upon a Time
  • Desperate Housewives
  • Batman from ME-TV (because it's still NA on home video)

I did Chuck from the very beginning, but of course, the series wrapped up earlier this year. Plus, with DH ending this year, I'm thinking of adding something new to the rotation. Maybe that one with Tom Selleck on Fri night--Blue Bloods?--if it gets renewed for next year.

ME-TV actually seems to be doing a pretty good job with Batman--they run the series almost like it was originally meant to be run, with two episodes back to back (originally it was on two separate nights during the week - very unusual way of programming). I like that they're running full closing credits.....and that they drop in a big clump of commercials somewhere after the 1st 3rd of the show or just before the last 3rd, so editing is easy {:-) I can almost squeeze 6 episodes (3 matched pairs) on one DVD at SP. Not quite. I had to dub the sixth episode at a "make it fit" rate. Fortunately, I'm recording these on a Pioneer 450 being fed by a Zenith DTT-901 CECB, so from now on I'll just select an "MN" rate that gives me just a little lower data rate so all 6 eps will fit. I want to keep my record data rate pretty high because the station that runs it here is being pretty stingy with the bandwidth on their subchannels; got some macroblocking during fast movement already, as it comes over the air.

Loved the Batman series when I was a kid. Now that I'm an adult (sort of), I get all the jokes and parodies. Only been recording it for a month. I won't be totally satisfied until I get a coupla Catwoman episodes {:-)

With almost any series that lasts more than a few episodes coming out on DVD, the imperative to snag things off the broadcasts isn't so great any more. Mostly I'm recording stuff to time shift, then then I'm done I burn a disc for anything I think I might someday want to watch again. And sometimes the rewatching makes me decide I like it so much I still end up buying the DVDs (happened with the last Joss Whedon series, Dollhouse).

Oh yeah, and one of these days I need to get back to my VHS dubbing project.....

Edit: Um, I'm not putting in those links on "Batman"--that's the automatic e-marketing that helps support AVS Forum.
post #8 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

.....A couple of months ago they started showing the 1hr.Twilight Zone eps.,(18 eps.total)and i recorded 16 of those,but for some reason there are 2 eps.that they either will not or cannot air.Iv'e been waiting for them to be shown but am losing confidence that they will ever be shown

From TZ marathons I recorded all eps but two. Assuming they're the same two, check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-The-...191954&sr=1-46

The very first ep and the two I was missing! Are these your two lost eps?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #9 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

From TZ marathons I recorded all eps but two.

The very first ep and the two I was missing! Are these your two lost eps.?

No.Unless i was looking in the wrong place,or it's the wrong link,all the eps.i saw were from the 1959 and 1960 seasons.The 1hr.eps.are all from the 1963 season.Wiki has all the eps.listed.Id'e have to go there to get the titles of the 2 eps.that i'm missing.
post #10 of 141 Old 04-11-2012, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

No.Unless i was looking in the wrong place,or it's the wrong link,all the eps.i saw were from the 1959 and 1960 seasons.The 1hr.eps.are all from the 1963 season.Wiki has all the eps.listed.Id'e have to go there to get the titles of the 2 eps.that i'm missing.

It took several marathons to fill out my collection, so maybe they're being selective (going for the most popular?). To my knowledge, all eps are in syndication except "The Encounter" and "Incident At Oak Creek Bridge", both from the final season. I have all the other eps, so I know that they have been broadcast. Of course, rights expire, and it's possible that some eps are out of circulation.

post #11 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mom loves Perry Mason 165 ep and counting.Wiki has really been on the button! METV usually doesn't skip an ep.They do mix some show's up!
IMF this week Sea. 4 Eps--22--25--23--24--26.
IMF Sea.5 start 4-16--Eps.--7-4-11-1-2- It wil take 3 weeks to straighten that out!!

Antennatv is the new kid in town.Got some wkrp NO-Clutter!!
For now.

Did get All of Terr-Nova.

Using Toshiba 430 slaving from LG 530.Did the Falcon play-off last year on
Sony 257 in HQ 1 hr mode REALLY look great.{falcon fan here vs GB play falcons & win SB LOL}
It took 2 disc's cut commercials.
U.N.C.L.E. was mentioned.
Is it EVER going to be released in single season on DVD ?
post #12 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:

From ME-TV i record ...

I never heard of ME-TV until this thread, and it is not available in my area. I'm so jealous!

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #13 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

The two series that I was really happy to eventually get all episodes of were Mission: Impossible, and The Wild Wild West. Man, they knew how to entertain!

I spent a long time attempting to get the whole Rocky and Bullwinkle shows, but the segments have been cut and reassembled so much, it turned into a huge mess. That show has been so abused, it's even hard to get just a listing of what the original episodes contained, much less reassemble them into those original episodes again. I just broke down and purchased the DVDs. They still aren't the original broadcast episodes, but they are much closer than I would ever come to on my own.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #14 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

I never heard of ME-TV until this thread, and it is not available in my area. I'm so jealous!

They run a lot of good stuff, mostly TV series from the 1950s, '60s and '70s. The network originated from a UHF station in Chicago, and since I'm originally from the "Chicago market," I have kind of a sentimental attachment to ME-TV. They do the Sat. night B-grade horror movie with the goofy host--"Svengoolie," who's been a fixture on Chicago UHF stations for years. You know, he wisecracks and makes fun of how bad the movie is.....kind of like Elvira but without the, um, extra assets.

One of the unexpected benefits of the move to DTV has been the proliferation of these "classic reruns" networks. Makes OTA more like cable without, you know, the aggravation of the cable company.

My brother has an elaborate schedule of recording stuff from the Chicago stations; at one point he had a DVDR/VHS combo--BUT WAS RECORDING EVERYTHING ON VHS. With a little prodding from me, he finally discovered DVD-RWs
post #15 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=crabboy;21896571

The very first ep and the two I was missing! Are these your two lost eps?[/QUOTE]

The names of the two titles that i'm missing are:"Miniature" and "No Time Like The Past". I've been *hoping*that ME-TV is just playing games with us by withholding them and not showing them,but will at some point in the future,but ya never can tell because of possible copyright issues.I've heard that that happens sometimes with individual eps. of various shows,usually because some piece of music or other thing that's copyrighted and the copyright holder won't give permission to air whatever it is that they hold the copyright too.
post #16 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

I have encountered this problem many times when I have tried to archive all the episodes of a show. There was an episode of Kolckak that the (then) SciFi channel always skipped in its rotation. There were MANY episodes of Have Gun Will Travel that Encore Western did not play while I was archiving them (no commercials there, so, Yay!) There are likely many reasons for the omissions. I really doubt the withholding of the Johnny Quest episode, "The Devil's Tower" was due to music copyright since it has the exact same background music as every other episode.

Luke

post #17 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 PM

greaser
Those 2 ep's are 1 hour.Shown only on Sunday's at 11pm est.
post #18 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB49 View Post

greaser
Those 2 ep's are 1 hour.Shown only on Sunday's at 11pm est.

Yes,i know.I have recorded 16 of the 18 eps. made,but the last two are proving to be a bit elusive.ME-TV keeps showing the same 16 eps.I think they've shown them in rotation ~2-3 times by now since they started showing them a few mos.ago,but not those two particular eps. that i'm still looking for.
post #19 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 04:14 PM

oh
Found out how to get 20-30 day's of programing at METV.
Let the schedule pop up.go to the bottom of current schedule.Click on schedule on the date,left click the mouse,april calendar should pop up.At the top of that page you'll
see little arrows on right takes u to may.
May is just 2 days right now.

Thistv is very similar.
post #20 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 04:19 PM

Yea
Honey West is like that for me!!

7-The princess and the paupers
26-- Pop goes the easel
Are missing.They only made 30 episodes.
post #21 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:

The names of the two titles that i'm missing are:"Miniature" and "No Time Like The Past".

"Miniature" has a long history of copyright entanglements (apparently it was "inspired" by another author who kicked up a fuss). "Miniature" was not re-run after the first airing until the late 1980s when it was shown once as part of a syndicated special event with other "missing" episodes (titled something like "Lost Stories From The Twilight Zone"). I did tape that special on VHS all those years ago, and have not seen "Miniature" turn up again in casual syndication. It may be in a separate licensing package that no one bothers with unless they want to air the "missing episodes" as a group deal. Or, it may be that the person with rights to "Miniature" renewed their copyright based on the partial colorization done for that '80s special. Who knows. Its on the S4 DVD set, so you can probably rent it from a library if you're tired of waiting for it to turn up on TV (possibly the only case of a DVD set including a problem episode instead of excluding or butchering it). The episode is a tad overrated: Robert Duvall is excellent in it but the story is mostly a variation on "The After Hours" (much more subtle and subdued, though).

"No Time Like The Past" should be in the standard syndication package, as it does not have any rights issues I've ever heard of. Not showing it may be a personal call by the broadcaster: a number of the hour-long TZ are considered real clunkers today that a casual audience might change the channel on. Even in TZ's syndication heyday here in New York, WPIX would usually skip a couple of the season 4 eps. Might just be that the odd number of hour eps (18) doesn't fit easily into TZ strip-scheduling goals, so they drop a couple. This and "Miniature" might be the two ME-TV chose to skip over.
post #22 of 141 Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

"Miniature" has a long history of copyright entanglements (apparently it was "inspired" by another author who kicked up a fuss). "Miniature" was not re-run after the first airing until the late 1980s when it was shown once as part of a syndicated special event with other "missing" episodes (titled something like "Lost Stories From The Twilight Zone"). I did tape that special on VHS all those years ago, and have not seen "Miniature" turn up again in casual syndication. It may be in a separate licensing package that no one bothers with unless they want to air the "missing episodes" as a group deal. Or, it may be that the person with rights to "Miniature" renewed their copyright based on the partial colorization done for that '80s special. Who knows. Its on the S4 DVD set, so you can probably rent it from a library if you're tired of waiting for it to turn up on TV (possibly the only case of a DVD set including a problem episode instead of excluding or butchering it). The episode is a tad overrated: Robert Duvall is excellent in it but the story is mostly a variation on "The After Hours" (much more subtle and subdued, though).

"No Time Like The Past" should be in the standard syndication package, as it does not have any rights issues I've ever heard of. Not showing it may be a personal call by the broadcaster: a number of the hour-long TZ are considered real clunkers today that a casual audience might change the channel on. Even in TZ's syndication heyday here in New York, WPIX would usually skip a couple of the season 4 eps. Might just be that the odd number of hour eps (18) doesn't fit easily into TZ strip-scheduling goals, so they drop a couple. This and "Miniature" might be the two ME-TV chose to skip over.

I have both episodes (recorded within the last 10 years), so I assume it's a network decision

post #23 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 12:25 AM

antennatv.tv

Click on their sch.Look at 1am daily.They show 3-4 movies during the week starting at
that time. SD is for all of these:3-24-2012 Midnight Express-Brad Davis
3-30 Immortal Beloved-Gary oldman
3-28 The Professional-Jean Reno,gary Oldman
4-6 The Blob-Steve McQueen

Next up 4-18 at 9am & 4-20 at 5am --The Fog
post #24 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 12:53 AM

Any of you folks remember

Battlefield narrated by Tim Pigot-Smith on PBS in 1994-1996 ?

frys.com

Battlefield Russia:Eastern Front 6668854
Battlefield:Great European Battles 6668834
Battlefield:Great Sea Battles 6668824
Battlefield:WWII Invasion 6668804

Got these 4 at a great price--------and still is!!
I highly recomend Russia 6668854
That price u see is for Blu-Ray .
6 hours 1 disc must be DL.
post #25 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 24
wow lots of recording going on.

can you Guys post images of you'r DVD media storage containers.

I have 3 (50 count) cake boxs and 2 small folder type w/ the sleves (24 count).

I want to continue to achive w/ DVDs like some idea's of how to store.

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
post #26 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wow lots of recording going on.

can you Guys post images of you'r DVD media storage containers.

I want to continue to achive w/ DVDs like some idea's of how to store.

Thanks STB

Here's the most recent photo (8 September 2010) of my main archive. Since that photo there have been ten more albums added to the shelves, now around 12,000 home-recorded DVDs. The main archive albums are labeled with a date range as my DVDs are numbered according to finalizing date and order, i.e., the fourth DVD to be finalized today will be numbered 120413D. I also have a few other smaller albums reserved for serialized duplication masters.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #27 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I want to continue to achive w/ DVDs like some idea's of how to store

Awww, with only 3 cakeboxes, you're just starting out!

Storage choice depends on your personal attitude toward your collection, how often you need to access the recordings, and how comfortable you are with the handling vs storage space factors of the different methods.

Having accumulated 3000+ VHS and Beta tapes over the past thirty years, I've long since grown comfortable with a system of storing the tapes in the 10-pak boxes they came in, with each tape logged in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet noting box #, tape#, program category, and description (further divided with separate contents entries if the tape has wildly different programs on it). Aside from digging a particular box out from under a stack, this system makes it easy to find anything I might want to watch or loan out. When I migrated to DVD recording, I easily adapted this system to logging 50-disc cakeboxes instead of 10-tape boxes. Very simple for me, I'm used to working this way, and it takes up the least amount of storage space (my A-1 priority after living with thousands of tapes underfoot for decades). Many of the shows and movies I archive just for the sake of having them: realistically, I won't need access to them again for years, so as long as I know where I can find them I'm happy. Those I store in the 600-ct (12 cakebox) shipping cartons they came in. Recordings that I view periodically, or seem to be popular loan-outs, I organize to be more available. I can locate my target disc in a 50-pak cakebox in 5 seconds flat: all I need to know is that its in there.

Most AVS members are horrified at my system, they can't see themselves digging thru 50 dvds in a cakebox to find something. They much prefer using binders which allow flipping thru pages to eyeball the DVDs , making them easier to locate. I did try the the binder system years ago, for my computer CD-ROMs, and found it much more annoying than using the cakeboxes. If you have a really large homebrew DVD collection (thousands), binder costs add up quickly and storage requirements can become tricky. The mega-huge binders several members prefer strike me as defeating the purpose: a binder holding several hundred discs weighing 20 lbs seems much more cumbersome to me than cakebox storage. But there you go: there isn't a universal answer, no "best way to set up your library." You have to play around with different options until one feels right.

At the moment I have 83 cakeboxes and 170+ boxes of VHS that still need to be dubbed to DVD. The day I finish that dubbing project is the day I reclaim half my living space. By then 10 terabyte HDDs should be selling for under $100, at which point all the DVDs get archived on a few compact redundant HDDs (just in time to accompany me into assisted living: all those videos plus a laptop or tablet should fit in a nightstand).
post #28 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

...I did try the the binder system years ago, for my computer CD-ROMs, and found it much more annoying than using the cakeboxes. If you have a really large homebrew DVD collection (thousands), binder costs add up quickly and storage requirements can become tricky. The mega-huge binders several members prefer strike me as defeating the purpose: a binder holding several hundred discs weighing 20 lbs seems much more cumbersome to me than cakebox storage. But there you go: there isn't a universal answer, no "best way to set up your library." You have to play around with different options until one feels right.

At the moment I have 83 cakeboxes and 170+ boxes of VHS that still need to be dubbed to DVD. The day I finish that dubbing project is the day I reclaim half my living space...

Recently I ordered a three pack of 200 DVD albums and 200 TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R discs. This is the SuperMediaStore deal for these albums, storage for 600 DVDs cost just $25:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...-color-sn12200

I now get my TY Premium Line DVDs shrink-wrapped, saving more than $3.00 from the cake box price:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ape-wrap-100pk

BTW, every once in a while I clear out my accumulation of empty TY cake boxes. Last week I recycled 25 TY cake boxes.

The first photo shows the shrink-wrap packaging. The second photo shows the original cake-box packaging.

A brief survey of spindle and cake-box designs is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post20101478

A more detailed survey is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18248992
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #29 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

DigaDo, your pics remind me of how much I hate the chintzy useless unwieldy 100-ct cakebox spindles the TY discs come in. There's a big difference in handling between 50-ct spindles and 100-ct, on top of which TY uses the all-time crummiest 100-ct plastic spindles I've ever seen. And unfortunately, you only get two choices when buying TY: 100-ct shrinkwrapped, or 100-ct crummy cakebox. AFAIK, TY has never been sold in convenient 50-ct cakeboxes (like Verbatim, which I also buy). I eventually made contacts at a couple of high-volume DVD burning services, who sell me their empty 50-ct cakeboxes complete with shipping cartons for about $8 a dozen. Every time I order a carton of 600 TY, I immediately discard the lousy huge TY cakeboxes and transfer them to the smaller spindles.

BTW Verbatim DataLife Plus now often ships in super-handy horizontal square cartons, each holding four 50-ct cakeboxes totalling 200 DVDs. I'm trying to find a production house or other service that goes thru tons of these, to see if I can buy the empties and transfer all my discs to this storage method. The boxes stack nicely on a shelf and the qty per carton is just about perfect for my use.
post #30 of 141 Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Recently I ordered a three pack of 200 DVD albums and 200 TY 8x Premium Line DVD-R discs. This is the SuperMediaStore deal for these albums, storage for 600 DVDs cost just $25:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...-color-sn12200

SMS has great deals on these binders, and I stocked up on a LOT for a while.....until I started thinking that the big storage boxes with indivdiual disc sleeves may be better for my purposes. Or perhaps not. I guess I'm committed now.

I've been meaning to catalog my disc (CD and DVD) and tape (VHS and cassette) collections in a spreadsheet like Citibear. Been on the "To-Do" list since about 2002.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

I now get my TY Premium Line DVDs shrink-wrapped, saving more than $3.00 from the cake box price:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...ape-wrap-100pk

BTW, every once in a while I clear out my accumulation of empty TY cake boxes. Last week I recycled 25 TY cake boxes.

I recently discovered the extra savings from buying the "tape wrapped" discs. I always transfer transfer them anyway to 25- or 50-disc boxes for daily use. Limited recycling options where I live (as NONE), so extra TY cakeboxes would end up in the trash anyway.

Funniest thing when the cat got tangled up in the discarded tape once--he does not like things that stick to his paws!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page