EH-69 Telephone Support? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I may purchase an EH-69 as a back up DVDR (and just test and stash it away) to my DMREH75V and EH55, both of which will ultimately have lived out their lives. I record solely from line outputs from my STB so the tuner, or lack of it, is irrelevant. I simply output one signal from the DVDR to my plasma display and another to my EH55 and to the EH75 when I need to record, in a separate room and from a separate STB, a film playing at the same time on cable.

I realize there is no warranty or repair (even for a fee, I'd guess) support from Panasonic, but, occasionally, over the years, I've still be able to receive some effective telephone support from Panasonic.

Does Panny provide that telephone support for the EH-69?
Jim Mohundro is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

...Does Panny provide that telephone support for the EH-69?

I expect they do.

Call the Panasonic UK Customer Communications Centre at 011-44-0844-844-3899

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #3 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ah...

I'm in the US, so I'm assuming from your answer that I'd probably get some telephone support only if I called the UK.
Jim Mohundro is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DigaDo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Pacific Northwest.
Posts: 4,680
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

Ah...

I'm in the US, so I'm assuming from your answer that I'd probably get some telephone support only if I called the UK.

That's what I was thinking. With grey market products one would have difficulty finding any "official" Panasonic support.

Of course, AVS member mickinct is the go-to source for Panasonic repairs.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
DigaDo is online now  
post #5 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Of course, AVS member mickinct is the go-to source for Panasonic repairs.

I cannot speak for MICKINCT, but I would suspect that he would be able to fix most problems that the EH69 would have.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old 04-11-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tips, folks.
Jim Mohundro is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 AM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I would try Malaysia. They are on their site still.
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 04-16-2012, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

...I realize there is no warranty or repair (even for a fee, I'd guess) support from Panasonic, but, occasionally, over the years, I've still be able to receive some effective telephone support from Panasonic.

Does Panny provide that telephone support for the EH-69?

I have heard of at least one person who bought their DVD recorder from World-Import. It broke, and they sent it back to W-I for repair. It took a while, but he did get it back, fully repaired, and nothing was touched on his hard drive. I have not had the need to do this, but as a data point, it's worth remembering. No, I don't know about any costs for this repair, or what the repair even was.

I have found the replies to my questions here to be quicker, more reliable and more accurate then most telephone support. Quite a number of times I have called with a question, and the service rep I was talking to didn't even understand the question, much less been able to provide an answer.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
An addition questuion from the OP:

While manuals for the discontinued DMRs (e.g., the DMR EH55) are readily downloadable from the Panny US site, such manuals for the EH69 are, understandably, not downloadable from the US site, but..also seem not to be downloadable from the support component of the "International" Panny web site, although firmware updates are. Before I purchase the EH69, I wouldn't mind having its instruction manual for review to assure myself that the EH69 will serve my needs. Is there an alternate resource for electronic copies of the EH69 manual?
Jim Mohundro is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 04-16-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just gave it one more try on the International site and this time I selected the UK link and was able to download the operating instructions; however, here are the compatibility (presumably for playing (and DVD creation purposes) note at the beginning of the manual:
"Region number supported by
this unit
Region numbers are allocated to DVD
Recorders and DVD-Video according to where
they are sold.
≥The region number of this unit is “2”.
≥The unit will play DVD-Video marked with
labels containing “2” or “ALL”.

I thought the EH69 should also be an NTSC recorder and player as well as a PAL recorder and player. Where have I gone wrong? Have I misidentified the EH69 I see on the B&H site?
Jim Mohundro is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old 04-16-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

I just gave it one more try on the International site and this time I selected the UK link and was able to download the operating instructions; however, here are the compatibility (presumably for playing (and DVD creation purposes) note at the beginning of the manual:
"Region number supported by
this unit
Region numbers are allocated to DVD
Recorders and DVD-Video according to where
they are sold.
≥The region number of this unit is 2.
≥The unit will play DVD-Video marked with
labels containing 2 or ALL.

I thought the EH69 should also be an NTSC recorder and player as well as a PAL recorder and player. Where have I gone wrong? Have I misidentified the EH69 I see on the B&H site?

Okay: First, I got my manual on-line here. Second, you will see on page 60 of the manual, showing in the setup where you can choose the TV System, that you can select either PAL or NTSC. Third, the unit is made region-free by B&H, J&R, World-Import, or (presumably) whoever you purchse it from. (I only have experience with those three vendors, but the EH59/69 is available from others.)

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old 04-16-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks, Luke.

By the way, on the UK site, clicking on the "Hard drive dvd recorder" link actually brings up 4 HD DVDRs, one of which, at a quick glance, appears to be a BlueRay DVDR and somewhere, buried in the specs, is the phrase "PAL/NTSC", and is priced at about 550 British Pounds Sterling, a bit less than $1,000 US, including probable shipping costs. I seem to remember from two or three years ago the first BluRay DVDRs being sold in Japan for about $3,000-$4,000.

I think I'll leave well enough alone, gamble on the non-warranty aspect of the purchase and (probably) go for the EH69 at B&H after I read as much of the manual as I can can deal with at a couple of sittings.
Jim Mohundro is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Church AV Guy,

>Third, the unit is made region-free by B&H, J&R, World-Import, or (presumably) whoever you purchse it from. (I only have experience with those three vendors, but the EH59/69 is available from others.)

I'm a bit concerned that making the EH69 "region-free" might make the DVD-Rs I copy from the hard drive unplayable on my DVD players.

To save the drives on my EH55 and EH75V, I almost always use my Panny BD30, and, occasionally, my DVD-RV32 for playback (usually the BD30 which outputs to my Panny plasma display).

I've purchased just three region-free DVDs from different vendors on EBay and none of the three plays back on my BD player or the RV32.

With the puchase of the EH69, am I likely to have these compatibility problems with DVDs made on the EH69?

I'm a bit confused, I admit, about how the Region 1 coding (I assume it's a coding) connects theoretically with the NTSC standard and/or coding [you can see how confused and uninformed I am here].
Jim Mohundro is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
wajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,084
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Region codes are typically only for comm. DVDs, but most or all consumer DVDRs code their "home-made" DVDs Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, as described here. People should just need the correct NTSC/PAL equip. to play.
wajo is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 9,910
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Wajo is correct, the international Panasonics make DVDs that are all region and will play on any DVD player. All region may be different than region free I just don't know but I do know DVDs made on my EH-59 play just fine on my Panny BD players.
jjeff is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old 04-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Cyclone82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 460
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just google EH69 manual. It took me 10 seconds to find and download it. I think i got it from a Euro or UAE panny site. Dont go looking for it, let google find it for you
Cyclone82 is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old 04-18-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

Church AV Guy,

>Third, the unit is made region-free by B&H, J&R, World-Import, or (presumably) whoever you purchse it from. (I only have experience with those three vendors, but the EH59/69 is available from others.)

I'm a bit concerned that making the EH69 "region-free" might make the DVD-Rs I copy from the hard drive unplayable on my DVD players.

To save the drives on my EH55 and EH75V, I almost always use my Panny BD30, and, occasionally, my DVD-RV32 for playback (usually the BD30 which outputs to my Panny plasma display).

I've purchased just three region-free DVDs from different vendors on EBay and none of the three plays back on my BD player or the RV32.

With the puchase of the EH69, am I likely to have these compatibility problems with DVDs made on the EH69?

I'm a bit confused, I admit, about how the Region 1 coding (I assume it's a coding) connects theoretically with the NTSC standard and/or coding [you can see how confused and uninformed I am here].

Well, it's always a really good idea to have a separate DVD player, rather than use your recorder as a player, just for the reason you cite. Save the drive for writing, don't waste it on reading by using your machine as a player. Really cheap ($30) DVD players are available that work just fine.

The region-free "hack" only concerns what you can PLAY on the DVD recorder--again, it is for playing only. All DVD recorders make disks that are all region, or region free. From the manual on page 12:

Quote:


DISKS THAT CANNOT BE PLAYED
≥2.6 and 5.2 GB DVD-RAM, 12 cm
≥3.95 and 4.7 GB DVD-R for Authoring
≥DVD-R, DVD-R DL, DVD-RW, +R, +R DL recorded on another unit and not finalised (

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old 04-18-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Jim Mohundro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Seattle
Posts: 249
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the tips on the "region free" issue.

As to the BluRay DVDRs in the UK, it might be better to work the purchase into a UK holiday, buy at retail (Harrods or some reliable video electronics dealer [for price]?) and bring it home. US duties are pretty modest for most consumer items. I purchased my EH55 in Vancouver, B.C. and the crossing border US duty was quite modest. And--the machine was flawed but still under warranty and the old Elgin facilities fixed it satifactorily and under the warranty in spite of the Canada purchase.
Jim Mohundro is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old 04-19-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Church AV Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,620
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Great! The next time I'm in the UK I'll remember that. This will also be the FIRST time.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Church AV Guy is offline  
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off