Sima CT-2 & CT-200 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-14-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Ok most people are familar with these here. Sima was a american rebrand of some devices made by Cypress in Taiwan.

I have found that i can buy one of these but i dont know if its the equivalent of the Sima CT-2or CT-200. The cases look the same and the information sheet is very vague.

From the info i can find the differences between CT-2 and CT200 are

4 modes on CT-2
6 modes and Auto power on/off on CT200

Can someone please tell me how these modes are selected? From the photos i have seen of the Sima and Cypress stabilizers the only button they have is a little tab button on the top that selects Pal/ntsc input/output.

For example this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=261003002914

Is it the CT-2 or the CT-200?

Does anyone have a manual for the CT-2 and CT-200 that they can email me or post online so i can read them to see if i can work things out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Ok most people are familar with these here. Sima was a american rebrand of some devices made by Cypress in Taiwan.

I have found that i can buy one of these but i dont know if its the equivalent of the Sima CT-2or CT-200. The cases look the same and the information sheet is very vague.

4 modes on CT-2

Can someone please tell me how these modes are selected? From the photos i have seen of the Sima and Cypress stabilizers the only button they have is a little tab button on the top that selects Pal/ntsc input/output.

For example this

Does anyone have a manual for the CT-2 and CT-200 that they can email me or post online so i can read them to see if i can work things out?

Thanks

hi cyclone...

this appears to be similar, if not the same, as my sima godvd model ct-2...

i have a letter sized jpg graphic containing the manual if you'll pm me with your email address...

the ct-2 does what it needs to do for my purposes... video quality is fine .. plain old composite and CP defeated for VHS and DVDs that i have fiddled with...

rgds,
ron g
Old 04-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

OK most people are familar with these here. Sima was a american rebrand of some devices made by Cypress in Taiwan.

looks very much like my CT-2 which works pretty well,except it makes the pic.a little tooo bright.There is a setting on mine that will darken the pic.a bit but i haven't used my unit for a long time.It has 4 settings,"Normal">"Enhanced">"Darker">"Black/White".

I use a Comp.>s-vid.converter instead.Better,truer pic.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 124
The button to adjust the various modes is on the long side, furthest from the S-video/composite switch so you wouldn't be able to see it on your linked photo.
My CT-2 also raises the black level but using the various modes only makes it worse, I always stick with normal. It's my belief that this device is made for the black level that the rest of the world uses, N. American devices use a different black level. Not real noticeable but their none the less.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Well from what various sellers ae telling me, The copiall DPX7000 or 7001 such as what WI has is made by the same company that made the Sima and is ment to better and updated, so maybe i will get one of those instead. I just want to get some more straight 'copy removers' rather than TBC's as many people say that TBC1000 and AVT 8710 do not work best on all tapes.

http://www.cypress.com.tw/english/display.asp?id=293
Old 04-16-2012, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

4 modes on CT-2

For example this

Thanks

Aside from what the others here have said about this brightening the picture, the one that I have has that front tab button, but it selects the input as either composite video, or S-Video. If it works on PAL, the extremely sparse and sketchy documentation that came with mine never mentioned it. The thing on power-up always is in composite mode. S-Video mode always has to be manually selected.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

...the one that I have has that front tab button, but it selects the input as either composite video, or S-Video. The thing on power-up always is in composite mode. S-Video mode always has to be manually selected.

That is what always "got my goat" about the CT-2,the fact that it defaults to the composite output.I like to use the s-video output,especially when i'm recording something in color.For B&W material it doesn't really matter.Many times when i used the CT-2 (for unattended recordings) i had to turn it on,select the s-vid output,then leave it on,sometimes for hours and hours before the actual program began. I know people say that leaving it on doesn't hurt it,but i still never liked doing it,i guess mainly because it tends to run so hot. I used to leave plenty of open air space around it to help with heat dispersion. BTW,my unit does have the PAL/NTSC switch on the front.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

That is what always "got my goat" about the CT-2,the fact that it defaults to the composite output.I like to use the s-video output,especially when i'm recording something in color.For B&W material it doesn't really matter.Many times when i used the CT-2 (for unattended recordings) i had to turn it on,select the s-vid output,then leave it on,sometimes for hours and hours before the actual program began. I know people say that leaving it on doesn't hurt it,but i still never liked doing it,i guess mainly because it tends to run so hot. I used to leave plenty of open air space around it to help with heat dispersion.

Recently I was doing a VHS to DVD project and I accidentally left my Sima on overnight. When I tried to do the next tape, the picture was really bad. It was filled with video noise and was snowy and very grainy. I unplugged the unit, and let it return to room temp, a few hours, then tried again. The picture had returned to normal. Was it the power cycling, or the heat (it had gotten rather hot being left on overnight)? I don't know which, but that experience convinced me to be a bit more careful.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

Well from what various sellers ae telling me, The copiall DPX7000 or 7001 such as what WI has is made by the same company that made the Sima and is ment to better and updated, so maybe i will get one of those instead.

More or less true: the DPX7000 is the "generic" successor to the Simas, which were discontinued under the Sima brand name some years ago when Hollywood rattled its sword and threatened lawsuits galore.

Quote:

I just want to get some more straight 'copy removers' rather than TBC's as many people say that TBC1000 and AVT 8710 do not work best on all tapes.

The DataVideo TBC-1000, AVT8710, and the PAL-country CVT100 knockoffs of the 8710 all work fine with just about any tape or DVD, equaling the Simas and DPX, but they also add corrections helpful when dubbing to PC video input cards. Thats why they're more expensive than a Sima-type device, although if you shop eBay carefully you can often get one of those TBCs second-hand for not much more than a Sima-type filter box. Be aware that each and every "filter" and TBC will degrade the video passing thru it: the DataVideo is the least offensive (softens but doesn't alter hue much), the AVT and CVT have unpredictable effects due to not-great quality control (they're built by the same factories using much the same parts as the Sima CT200 and DPX7000). As jjeff mentioned, the Simas and the DPX kinda mess with black level and add luma and chroma noise (varying with the individual unit and specific tapes).

If all you need to do is dub tapes, you don't need any of the above: they're overkill designed to cope with PC input twitchiness and commercial DVD protection. For simple backup of old tapes to a DVD recorder (and most current PCs), you only need an old-school, made by the millions, cigarette-pack-sized VHS decoder, such as this one. I don't know what the availability of these are in Australia, but they have to be quite a bit less expensive than the devices discussed above. Countless generic variants have been sold over the years, most will work with any tape, and with far less image artifacts and softening than the Sima-type filters or a TBC. The newest versions like the MCM even have internal adjustments which can allow stabilizing DVDs and fine-tuning to match PC input cards, as described by AVS member tomwil in this link. If your primary goal is to stock up on filters for VHS dubbing, this is the way to go.

The Sima, DPX, Grex are only needed to dub commercial DVDs, the TBCs to repair really bad tape signals that flummox some oversensitive PC inputs. If you aren't dubbing DVDs, and aren't using an old or poorly-engineered PC video input board, you can go with the less expensive VHS-specific filter and get better quality. Having used all of these filter devices with hundreds of different tapes, I've learned that "less can be more."
Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Recently I was doing a VHS to DVD project and I accidentally left my Sima on overnight. When I tried to do the next tape, the picture was really bad. It was filled with video noise and was snowy and very grainy. I unplugged the unit, and let it return to room temp, a few hours, then tried again. The picture had returned to normal. Was it the power cycling, or the heat (it had gotten rather hot being left on overnight)? I don't know which, but that experience convinced me to be a bit more careful.

I had a CT and lost it to overheating. There is no "on/off" switch, so disconnect the power when not using.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The DataVideo TBC-1000, AVT8710, and the PAL-country CVT100 knockoffs of the 8710

They are not Knock offs of the AVT 8710. AVT8710 is not the true original. Most, if not all the ones you see are all made by Cypress in Taiwan they all come from there and are just made in different colour cases to suit each re-sellers requirements. They make the CTB100 for various compaines such as AV Tool, TVone, Hall Research etc as well as under their own brand name as CYP. I had a read of their wesbite last night and it was quite interesting. They have been in this business since 1989. They also made the Sima SCC colour correctors.

I have seen these on ebay and heaps of places

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=220591248

They look pretty cheap and have no S-video but i may just grab one incase.

Thanks to RKG for sending me the Sima manuals
Old 04-16-2012, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

They are not Knock offs of the AVT 8710. AVT8710 is not the true original. Most, if not all the ones you see are all made by Cypress in Taiwan they all come from there and are just made in different colour cases to suit each re-sellers requirements. They make the CTB100 for various compaines such as AV Tool, TVone, Hall Research etc as well as under their own brand name as CYP. I had a read of their wesbite last night and it was quite interesting. They have been in this business since 1989. They also made the Sima SCC colour correctors.

In the end it doesn't matter: we're still dealing with clones and knockoffs, even if they come from the same factory. No one here thought they came from anywhere but Taiwan anyway, whether it was labeled AVT8710 or CBT100 or Sima-XXX or whatever. The same casing is used for everything from the old Sima "clarifiers" to the full-bore AVT8710: the filters and the TBCs share much common construction. That construction leaves a lot to be desired depending which model you buy, its age, which brand is affixed, which country you buy it in, and what mood the factory was in the day they made it. User reports on all these units (AVT, CBT, TVone, Sima, DPX) run the gamut because of the poor quality control. And even if you get a "perfect" unit from this mfr, they all have a design flaw that results in overheating (the AVT , TVone and CBT time base correctors are especially infamous for barely making it thru a 130 minute tape before blacking out, requiring a cooling off period and dubbing long videos in segments).

When it became known that the CBT, TVone and AVT were seemingly identical, some of the more advanced geeks here on AVS and at several other boards disassembled them to compare notes. Rather surprisingly, it was discovered they are not exactly identical: the CBT/TV1 version uses some different parts and somewhat simplified circuitry. Comparative testing indicated the CBT/TV1 was better with some tapes, the AVT with others, but differences did not manifest unless they were connected to very twitchy PC input boards. Upon seeing how these TBC were built inside, several members opted to remove the outer case to aid heat dissipation, or installed the guts into their own fan-equipped custom cases.

There is no perfect "amateur" TBC: Cypress has virtually zero quality control so no two units have the same issues (aside from heating up like a toaster within minutes). The DataVideo TBC1000 is much more solidly built and cooler running, but includes a relatively useless one input/four output splitter that weakens the signal and is prone to interference (not to mention the retail price is double the Cypress cost). If buying new, test any of these thoroughly before your exchange/return period expires. Second hand is much more economical, esp with the DataVideo, if the seller has a return guarantee. The larger pro-grade TBCs are wicked expensive brand new, and most sold second hand are worn out (many aren't as good as the disposable MCM filter when it comes to VHS protection).

The Grex filter is a little more consistent in QC than the Simas or DPX, but has its own issues. The best filter you can buy is the generically-named "Video Filter" which is virtually hand-made to a very high standard by an AVS member: very little degradation of video quality compared to other filters. It is not a full TBC yet is priced very close to the CBT100, making the choice difficult if you think you'll need the full TBC feature. After trying most of these, I settled on a second-hand DataVideo TBC1000 as the least of all evils. I avoid using it unless absolutely necessary, preferring the more transparent (and affordable) MCM-type VHS filters.

Quote:
I have seen these on ebay and heaps of places

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=220591248

They look pretty cheap and have no S-video but i may just grab one incase.

The S-video socket is vastly overrated: that connection option in itself doesn't guarantee significantly better dub quality. Much depends on the VCR, the tape, and the encoding device (PC or DVD recorder). S-video helps with ordinary tapes you recorded yourself from TV, its great with camcorder tapes, and noticeably better for dubbing from DVDs. But the minute you start dealing with "protected" commercial VHS, all bets are off: the stupid "protection" has already crippled many aspects of the tape signal. The more extravagant filters and TBCs tend to have a softening effect, they need all the help they can get, so benefit from S-video connection. But perversely, the cheap little VHS filters don't soften as much and can get away with composite connections, often besting a TBC or pricier filter using S-video cables. Making digital archives from analog videos is unpredictable: sometimes the crap VCR you buy for $10 at a yard sale works much better than a $400 Panasonic NV-SF200, and sometimes the $20 VHS filter beats a $300 TBC. You have to experiment with your own gear and tapes.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

It makes you wonder why so many companies only half heartledy make electronics gear now days. Theres hardly anything out there thats perfet anymore.

I bought one of those black cigarette type copy boxes but in a metal case. never thought to ask the seller if it was PAL and NTSC compatible. Oh well. Will see when it arrives. I need PAL and NTSC compatibility anyway. Even these vary too. Some are $89 and some $19.95 for what looks like the same thing.

You cant really rely on one filter though. The simple filters are not the same as full frame TBC.

I might get a 'Video Filter'. It has some nice functions but i wish it came in a better housing.

I hope to combat 'softening' with hardware processors.

There is no one perfect solution, i get that. One good thing is the main tapes i want to copy are commerical tapes and 90% are brand new still or in good condition. I have a bunch of stuff recorded off TV but i have no desire to transfer them at this stage. But even those are all recorded from 2002 onwards and are in OK condition.

Quote:

several members opted to remove the outer case to aid heat dissipation, or installed the guts into their own fan-equipped custom cases.

I like that idea.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 11
Just picked up one of those DPX-7001 units. Costed around $120.
So far it does what it was advertiesed to do.
I did have it on one occasion mess up the colors, turning everything magenta and florecent green. biggrin.gif
But, unplugging it and plugging it back in solved the issue.
I recorded movies for over 4 hours and the unit did not get hot.
Haven't watched any of the DVD's that I recorded but viewing it in the preview window showed no issues.
Will try to record some of my wife's Shirley Temple videos to see if it allows me to do so.

Funny thing about new technology with my old RCA DVD/VCR recorder I was able to copy VCR tapes without issue.
I was also able to record off of TV without any issues.
With my Samsung I would be suprised if it allowed me to record "dead air" without giving me some type of copyright warning.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I have a couple of the older 5000 model still in service and have never had a problem with them, my newer ones are Grex which are a little cheaper but with the same performance..
Old 09-20-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the Grex hava a problem with messing with the colors or black level?

Luke

Old 09-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

If all you need to do is dub tapes, you don't need any of the above: they're overkill designed to cope with PC input twitchiness and commercial DVD protection. For simple backup of old tapes to a DVD recorder (and most current PCs), you only need an old-school, made by the millions, cigarette-pack-sized VHS decoder, such as this one.

I bought one of these many years back. It has it's drawbacks (9V battery powered, no S-video), but does the job without appreciable degradation. One 9V battery lasts a long time. I do not know if the quality is still high, but this unit is a good buy.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 09-23-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post

I have a couple of the older 5000 model still in service and have never had a problem with them, my newer ones are Grex which are a little cheaper but with the same performance..

Some of the videophiles may say otherwise but I don't see any. We're recording in SD, not HD.