Pan. EH-59, 69: Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thinking about getting one of these for recording from my Tivo, and maybe, from my new Charter box. Is hard drive size the only difference? Where is the best place to buy? World Imports? New or used?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 03:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The other difference is SD card.

B&H have them, also mayby JR's. Also Gandhi Appliances have them on their site and also ebay. they have been very helplful to be when i asked questions about the unit. Also there are a few other sites that them such as here

http://www.regioncodefreedvd.com/dvdrecorders.html

and other site called 220volts something

If you are in america you just need to remember that the outputs are 0 IRE black level and not 7.5IRE
post #3 of 11 Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

Thinking about getting one of these for recording from my Tivo, and maybe, from my new Charter box. Is hard drive size the only difference? Where is the best place to buy? World Imports? New or used?

As was said, there are a lot of places that Google will come up with in a search. I have experience with World-Import, B&H and J&R and can recommend any of these. I have no experience with the other sites, and I have been warned about many disreputable vendors for these type of (gray market) items. I would really rcommend you stick with vendors that have a recommendation.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 01:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I read something about the video being darker or lighter than the American models. Can that be fixed?
post #5 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:

Thanks. I read something about the video being darker or lighter than the American models. Can that be fixed?

DVDs produced by a standard N. American line output device will be slightly light, and AFA can it be fixed.....yes with varying degrees of difficulty. If your source is a standard DVD or BD player(as mine is) it's very easy. Most all DVD players have a DARKER setting, LIGHTER is the default, changing it to DARKER will result in perfect black level DVDs. With other line output devices(STB, DVR, VHS player, etc.) it's not as easy. You'd have to somehow install a proc amp or other device between the line output and the international Panasonic's line input. Slightly lower the brightness(probably only a notch or two) and you'll be fine. I have a Vidicraft Proc Amp from my VHS days that works just fine, the only problem is it only has composite connections and I prefer to use S-video when available, of course for standard VHS composite is your only choice and it works just fine.
Just so you know the raised black level is "very" slight, in fact I'd guess the vast majority of people would never know it, I've never read a review with a complaint about black levels with using one of these internationals in N. America but it is a fact and I like to point it out. If you have a N. American Panasonic you do have a way to see how a international Panasonic will act. Go into the SETUP and set the black level output to LIGHTER(again the default is DARKER for N. America). If recordings don't bother you or you don't notice much of a difference the point is moot for you. If your bothered by it and you will not be only recording from a DVD player with a DARKER setting then you better plan on using a proc amp or similar device which lets you lower the black level(brightness).
post #6 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Yes, the picture will be slightly lighter, which is usually not noticeable EXCEPT when something on the screen is really black. The blacks just turn out to be a little on the gray side. I have been told (can't remember who) that the bumbers quoted by jjeff above are still within spec (whatever that means exactly). My SIMA filtering device has a greater brightening effect than my EH59/69. I have also been told that since it is not outside of spec (again ?!?) that it can be completely compensated for by the brightness adjustment on your telvision.

I really don't notice it enough to make me unhapy about it.

The EH59/69
allows you to set the widescreen bit on your recordings
has a 44 character phrase save feature
will play any region PAL or NTSC disk
has title groups
will do refresh recording

no US warranty
no useable tuner in North America
does not record the closed captioning information embedded in the video stream
only has a 24 hour clock, no 12 hour AM/PM
only uses European date sequence
the use of record interval requires you to press a front panel button rather than the button on the remote control.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

... My SIMA filtering device has a greater brightening effect than my EH59/69. I have also been told that since it is not outside of spec (again ?!?) that it can be completely compensated for by the brightness adjustment on your telvision.

I really don't notice it enough to make me unhapy about it.

Totally agree with you and yes the amount of lightness is easily compensated for by your TVs brightness, probably only a few points negative should make your recordings like perfect.
Personally I found the black level crush issue on both Funai DVDRs(both with HDD) that I tried to be more objectionable than the raised black level of these internationals and unlike the crush issue which I couldn't really correct with TV adjustments to my satisfaction, the black level is quite easily compensated for.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-20-2012, 05:15 PM

The Sign Video/Studio 1 proc amps have s-video connections. I may have a dual one comming up for sale.
post #9 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. One model takes SD cards? Could you use these to transfer video from a computer to the Pan. or the reverse? My EH-55's take these cards, but there are limitations on the type of files you can use.
post #10 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 05:04 AM

Yes EH 69 takes SD cards. I will read the manual to answer the other questions.

ok............. as per usual, there are a lot of conditions with pannys. PLEASE download the EH69 user manual (google 'panasonic EH 69 manual') then open the PDF and type in 'SD card' in the search in Adobe and then keep hitting ENTER button. ALL your answers willl be there!
post #11 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

The SD card is only for playing select things, I never use SD cards on my Panasonic, as cyclone82 said their are just too many limitations on their use.
"Personally" I prefer a DVDR without a SD reader, just one less device to have to scroll through when pushing the drive select button.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page