The Panny EH75V--Timer Recording and Clock Setting? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for your recent advice re the Panasonic EH69. I expect to purchase the EH69 around the end of April. I was pleased, by the way, to note in the specificatiuons that the overall size seems to match my EH55 so that will be useful for replacement purposes.
Now I have a secondary issue, but not of particularly high priority. I've had a Panny EH75V for about three years. I principally use it as the tuner output from my secondary ComCast STB into, believe it or don't, a very old (perhaps 30 years) Commodore (Hitachi-made) monitor as a backup television for a small bedroom/computer room. Mostly, I tune the FM radio channels on the STB and use the monitor as my FM radio for background entertainment while I'm using my computer.
In any event, when I set up the EH75V with the assistance of Panny tech support, I asked for help in setting the deck for timer recording (I was never interested in dealing with the then NTSC tuning capabilities/TVGOS) system. It was, and is, easy enough just to tune the STB to the channel to be recorded, set the timer and let the deck take care of the rest.
The problem is that the clock is greyed out and apparently cannot be reset, so I have to do a bit of math when I set up the deck for future recording of a program (usually a film). Currently the clock is set at Pacific Standard Time minus about 20 minutes. Panny tech support said I could not have it both ways, i.e., I could not enjoy timer recording and at the same time expect the clock to be settable.
Is it possible to reset the clock under set up and still retain the timer recording operation?
(Oddly, my EH55 works fine that way but I can't remember how I originally set it up and, as most of you know, the manual is not always useful.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
This thread might be helpful in turning off TVGOS so you can set your clock.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #3 of 5 Old 04-20-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have two DMR-EH50 models (from 2005). I have no problem setting the clock and timer programs as long as I didn't use a RF coax cable input.

At first, the RF coax cable connection complicated everything I attempted to do because the operating system was determined to implement the TVGOS system when there was a RF coax cable connection.

Once the RF coax cable was removed I was able to defeat TVGOS and use the recorder for scheduled recordings.

One of my EH50 models continues to boot up to a "data search failed" (or similar message) window but that window is cleared by pressing RETURN.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 61
This is a known problem going back a long ways. Panasonic in their "wisdom" has decided that if for some reason, the machine thinks that you have told it to get it's time from an encoded time stamp on a broadcast station, then you don't want to se the clock manually, AND IT WON'T LET YOU!

The solution is a reset of some kind. Maybe the thread that tomwil posted the link to will address the issue.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2012, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
You shouldn't have any problem doing what you need to do. In fact, you should have even less hassles. It's the implementation of TVGOS and the IR blaster which make things problematic with the EH75V.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page