Panasonic EH75 optical pickup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-03-2012, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, it finally happened to me. About a month ago, the DVD drive on my Panasonic DMR-EH75 suddenly died after years of reliable service. The machine couldn't even tell if there was a disc in the drive or not. The noises the drive was making indicated that the problem was with the optical pickup. I saw that there was someone selling the optical pickup units (3331A) on eBay, so I bought one. I had opened up the DVD drive for spindle cleaning several times, so I figured I would see if I could replace the pickup myself. And indeed, I swapped the old and new pickups without any problems. I was very careful to put everything back the way it had been. When I powered up the machine, the drive worked, although it still occasionally made those sickly noises.

Two days later, the DVD drive stopped working again. The machine now says "no read" for all discs. I cleaned the spindle and laser (a couple times actually), but that didn't help.

Did I fry the new pickup already? Is there any chance it could have been defective? What can I do now?

I've heard that in the EH75s, the DVD drive is supposed to be replaced together with the PCB board. However, some users (Mickinct) have reported success in just replacing the optical pickup. There is also supposed to be some sort of realignment procedure when only the pickup is replaced; I have no idea what that procedure is though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 04:28 AM

Liked: 14
This is interesting because just 10 mins ago i was looking for replacement laser assmblies for panasonics EZ48, XW480, XW385, EH69 but could not find any for those models but saw others on ebay UK. I thought i may aswell start looking for replacment lasers while it may still be possible to get some.

Was it a genuine one you bought or was it aftermarket? I always worry when touching modern electronics. I simply went to change a battery in my Casio G-shock watch once which i had done before but after fitting the new battery it would not work at all. The only reason i can think that it did not work was that my fingers must of had a charge in them and fried the electronics on the PCB somehow. So i think before i would even open up a DVD recorder to replace parts i would wear gloves. Just too risky.

So what i am saying is there any chance you could have damaged something by touching a part that should not be touched?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
If you had contacted me ,and sent unit to me to fix that would have not happened.

MickinCT
Old 05-03-2012, 04:56 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickinct View Post

If you had contacted me ,and sent unit to me to fix that would have not happened.

Please elaborate. Have you seen this happen on a optical pickup replacement before?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Was it a genuine one you bought or was it aftermarket?

It was advertised as new and unopened:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-Op...-/190670642275

Quote:

So what i am saying is there any chance you could have damaged something by touching a part that should not be touched?

Good question - I don't know the answer.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've haven't tried this yet, but this poster offers a possible solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by avesteve View Post

I have seen so many posts on this series DMR-E50# machine regarding the recovering issue on DVD-R discs I decided to dig one out of the grave yard and solve it. A failed 330uf 6.3V SMD capacitor on the REP3496 LASER drive sister board was at fault, it is not a dead capacitor but has lost value and has a high ESR. There is no location number for it on this board. It is mounted on the underside of the board and is the only one of its size and type. It is the largest single cap on the board and is near the rearmost screw hole directly under the board identification ink stamp. It can be replaced with any type of good quality capacitor, as there is lots of room and it has no special attributes.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Totally different machine, not a solution to his problem.

MickinCT