Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #121 of 124 Old 02-09-2017, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Sharp VCRs are well-regarded in USA as playback decks to make digital transfers. Used Sharps are very reasonably priced, have better than average picture quality for budget models, and better than average tracking of hifi audio as well as video.

But like any other brand, heavy heavy use will wear a Sharp down and degrade its performance. Remember, many of these VCRs are 20+ years old now: it is unrealistic to think they will be found in "like new" condition forever. In North America, Panasonic-made VCRs outsold every other brand 2:1, so by sheer numbers sold there are many more Panasonics available in pristine condition than other brands. Those who want a nice Sharp will need to search longer and harder than they would for a more common Panasonic or JVC.

North Americans abandoned VCRs very quickly once DVD players became affordable in 1999: this also improves the chances of finding lightly-used vcrs here. Other countries like Brazil did not change to dvd as quickly, so their VCRs were more heavily used and it is harder to find a nice one today.
phildaant likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post
Sharp VCRs are well-regarded in USA as playback decks to make digital transfers. Used Sharps are very reasonably priced, have better than average picture quality for budget models, and better than average tracking of hifi audio as well as video.

But like any other brand, heavy heavy use will wear a Sharp down and degrade its performance. Remember, many of these VCRs are 20+ years old now: it is unrealistic to think they will be found in "like new" condition forever. In North America, Panasonic-made VCRs outsold every other brand 2:1, so by sheer numbers sold there are many more Panasonics available in pristine condition than other brands. Those who want a nice Sharp will need to search longer and harder than they would for a more common Panasonic or JVC.

North Americans abandoned VCRs very quickly once DVD players became affordable in 1999: this also improves the chances of finding lightly-used vcrs here. Other countries like Brazil did not change to dvd as quickly, so their VCRs were more heavily used and it is harder to find a nice one today.
Actually, Brazil changed to DVDs pretty quickly too (around 2002 or so) and by 2005 VCRs and Pre-Recorded tapes got out of stores. I remember that the last VCR I had was in 2005 and we didn't have any other to change after it broke (Mid-90s Philips and a Sharp) and none of my neighbours had one too, only my uncle had one (Early 90s JVC Mono unit) and he gave it off in 2012 to another person for transfer tapes.
And by now, DVDs and even Blu-Rays are changing to Pay Television Services and Streaming Services like Netflix. I worked at a Store and I remember that we didn't have a lot of Blu-Rays to sell.
post #123 of 124 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAFLP View Post
Actually, Brazil changed to DVDs pretty quickly too (around 2002 or so) and by 2005 VCRs and Pre-Recorded tapes got out of stores. I remember that the last VCR I had was in 2005 and we didn't have any other to change after it broke (Mid-90s Philips and a Sharp) and none of my neighbours had one too, only my uncle had one (Early 90s JVC Mono unit) and he gave it off in 2012 to another person for transfer tapes.
And by now, DVDs and even Blu-Rays are changing to Pay Television Services and Streaming Services like Netflix. I worked at a Store and I remember that we didn't have a lot of Blu-Rays to sell.
Although once DVD came out most consumers in Canada abandoned VCRs pretty quick. BUT - us Canadians that still wanted a new VCR were luckier than our USA neighbours because in Canada the push to digital was a lot slower than in the USA and we didn’t have those stupid dictator mandate laws forcing consumer electronics with a NTSC tuner to include a digital tuner. So we got brand new VCRs until the end of 2008 – maybe longer.

Just today (Feb 15 2017) I contacted a guy on local craiglist selling a new-in-sealed-box JVC HR-J693 for very cheap. He still didn’t get back to me – wish me luck.
Check out the date Sears got the unit November 29th 2007.

That particulate JVC was available from 2004 atleast to the end of 2008 in Canada. A SVHS like my HR-S5912U was available from 2003 to at least the end of 2008 in Canada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HRJ693U-1.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	597.4 KB
ID:	1970961   Click image for larger version

Name:	HRJ693U-2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1970985  

Last edited by Super Eye; Yesterday at 05:43 PM.

post #124 of 124 Old Today, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post
Although once DVD came out most consumers in Canada abandoned VCRs pretty quick. BUT - us Canadians that still wanted a new VCR were luckier than our USA neighbours because in Canada the push to digital was a lot slower than in the USA and we didn’t have those stupid dictator mandate laws forcing consumer electronics with a NTSC tuner to include a digital tuner. So we got brand new VCRs until the end of 2008 – maybe longer.

Just today (Feb 15 2017) I contacted a guy on local craiglist selling a new-in-sealed-box JVC HR-J693 for very cheap. He still didn’t get back to me – wish me luck.
Check out the date Sears got the unit November 29th 2007.

That particulate JVC was available from 2004 atleast to the end of 2008 in Canada. A SVHS like my HR-S5912U was available from 2003 to at least the end of 2008 in Canada.
Well, good luck to you. Over here we still have analog TV but it's starting to fade away and by the next year everything will be digital too. One thing that I dislike about the analog TV here is that they used Pal-M instead of NTSC as a color TV standard since 1972. NTSC is more colorful than PAL-M and only the Analog TV used Pal-M since a Camcorder or a Video Game Console only outputs NTSC. If I record something I use NTSC since my Satellite Reciever outputs both NTSC and PAL-M and VCRs here can switch between NTSC and Pal-M.
VCRs here faded away quckly because of the piracy of DVD since you can just copy it over to the computer of even get a camcorder to a theatre and transfer to DVD and sell 5 movies for R$5,00 and say "you can find anything here pretty cheap" and the police would rarely get those sellers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)