Using a US VCR in another country - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thats ok Super eye, if it does not work i wont be blaming you or anyone. I knew all along that if i wanted one of these i would at least need a step down but i just forgot about the frequency. I would have asked about that a lot earlier before buying the VCR if i had thought of it then.

Yes Morc258 i will take a photo of the insides for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Well my USA JVC VCR arrived today. Its in very good condition cosmetically. It looks like new. Where the heck did all these come from!!! The seller even included the remote control because he thought I was really happy to buy this VCR. Even my own 10 year old JVC has its tape slot flap covered in scratches from many tapes being inserted. I popped the top and the biggest capacitor on the board up from the AC lead connection is rated at 200v so I guess that confirms this does not have a 110-240v power supply. Next to the fuse on the PCB is written 1.25a 250v. I checked my older JVC that is worldwide 100-240v 50/60hz and that had a 400v capacitor. I did notice that there is little grease on any of the moving parts but my other made in Indonesia JVC I have had since new does. There is wear marks from where you can see the mechanisms sliding so it has been used a bit but its obviously been looked after and had little use. I cant test this out yet as I have not ordered my transformer yet but so far so good I think.

I do have one little concern though. On the left side of the VCR (looking at it from front on) on the side of the tape transport mechanism, there is a fine spring that has a long straight end and that goes down to the main coil part. In my photo you can see how the spring looks squashed or clamped in part of the metal frame part. Is this correct? It looks a bit odd to me. Does this spring attach like this on other owners JVC's or has mine become dislodged? See the photos below.

I also hope i will be able to use/set this up with nothing connected to the tuner too. Did not think of that till now. I think my Panasonic EZ48 is not usable unless you have the RF cable connected and set up the tunning. I am not 100% sure on that but i am sure one time i went to use it, it would not let me unless i 'connected a service' But if people in USA are using EH69 and 59's then i think this VCR should still work with nothing connected to the tuner. I really only need it to play NTSC tapes and maybe one day if i having nothing to do, make a NTSC tape from an AV input.

The entire case of this JVC is plastic and a bit ‘cheap’ and it’s made in China. I also had a AU model JVC 5600 arrive today aswell!. It also looks brand new and I am told its had little to no use at all and can almost be considered new. Used for 3 or 4 tapes they said. The 5600 is a 1999/2000 model I think as it has a sticker saying year 2000 compliant which I think was to do with that whole millennium bug thing. It is also made in japan which I really like. It is about the size of Panasonic EZ48 but I was surprised that it still does not weigh as much as the EZ48 which is a heavy unit. Almost all of the case is metal and appears as if it’s a totally different class of player to the NTSC 5902. There is not much special to this player, no TBC, no DNR, no dynamic drum, It’s a S-VHS-ET and has s-video out and is a bit of a multisystem VCR which most AU models were anyway, but it still does not play SECAM. I got to find a SECAM VCR sometime. They seem hard to get. I just wanted a good made in Japan S-VHS deck so that’s why I got this.
edit – I Just looked inside my JVC-S5600 and it indeed looks brand new. On the sliding tracks I can see white grease and no grey/black rubbing marks on the metal from general use and dirt mixing with the grease to turn it grey. I think I scored well with this one.I also powered it up and basic functions work ok well on it. This seems like a good JVC.

post #33 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 04:37 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

Well my USA JVC VCR arrived today. I popped the top and the biggest capacitor on the board up from the AC lead connection is rated at 200v so I guess that confirms this does not have a 110-240v power supply.

Yes, that has definitively answered your concerns. You would not have been happy if this was plugged into a 240v service.......
post #34 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 04:39 AM - Thread Starter

I would not be able to anyway as it has a US plug anyway. I have a pin convertor but would not risk it anyway.
post #35 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm glad that your HR-S5902U looks lightly used and in good condition.

I'll answer the Qs I can.

1) Not sure about the spring and I don't have time to open up my deck right now.

2) You do not need to use the tuner for setting up anything other then the tuner. In fact the first thing you can do is go to line F1 or L1 and that shuts off the tuner.

3) Glad the seller send you the remote as with most newer consumer electronics you need the remote for certain functions.

4) As I pointed out in the past - the plastic is very light built and in my opinion you should avoid stacking anything on top of this VCR, really. Be gentle with the tape transport and you should be OK. All though the plastic has a cheap feel to it IMO the mechanism is pretty tough. As long as you treat it gently. These are the best tape trackers I ever owned - I swear to God this is true in my experience.

With US/C 110v 60Hz these VCRs run very cool - in fact they are some of the coolest running electronics I ever encountered. With a step-down - they may run hotter, if so make sure you have proper ventilation as these decks are meant to run cool.
post #36 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

post #37 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I asked the seller and he checked 3 others and he said the spring was connected the same way pinched between the metal. I guess it just must be anchoring the spring like that. A few people said 110v 50hz might cause it to run a bit warmer so i will keep that in mind. There is no vents in the case unlike my HR-S5600.
post #38 of 39 Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

I just looked at the owner’s manual of a HR-S5600AM
http://dl.owneriq.net/2/298af196-912...c2b31f7193.pdf
Nice front panel display even has L R audio level. According to the manual this model is from 1999. Back then even American decks still had more metal and also ran hotter thus the vents. Plus it’s a multi-format/multi power deck and that probably makes it run a little hotter. Looks like a nice deck. I’m surprised it was still made in Japan.

The US/Canada 5902 5912 is from 2003, no longer made in Japan, limited front panel display and very plastic (like most American decks of the era) BUT it runs a lot cooler than decks just a few years older. Plus it’s meant for American power / format only so it needs no vents in America. Yesterday I ran my 5912 for over 6 and a half hrs straight and the top of the deck was the same temperature as if turned off. You just have to keep an eye on the temp with the step-down connected to your 5902.

If I ran my 1985 Sony SuperBeta HiFi for 6.5 hrs straight I could turn down my house thermostat down by a few degrees in the winter.

The HR-S5600AM in new condition made in Japan sounds nice. I’m jealous.
post #39 of 39 Old 05-25-2012, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yes the 5600 does look like it is brand new. It came in original box, with original foam blocks, foam bag, plastic bag with manual, remote, warrenty and service center info etc. The seller said it was only used for a few tapes and was mainly used for the tuner. He probably had the tuner in the TV fail and then just used the VCR modulated output like i did for many years. Actuallly it may not have been his as he said it was a desceased estate so may have been his parents or some elderly persons. I asked many questions about it bfore buying it. The service center sheet was dated 1998 and i saw business listed in my town as an authorised JVC service center. I remember the name but had not heard if the guy was still in business as it has been over 10 years now. I looked him up on the net yesterday and it appears hes still in business repairing electronics. I think he is home based going by what street hes on and i know there are no shops there. So its good to know there is an older local guy who knows JVC VCR's as i still have my HR-J695 that has issues ejecting tapes.

The 5600 does seem like a good model. I think the next model on 5700? has s-video input on the rear but has the same basic functions. The 5600 only has s-video in on the front. Yes i noticed the little VU meter on the display. I will pop te top again tomorrow maybe and take a photo of it. Its interesting how all 3 of my JVC's although only 3 or 4 years apart are totally different in size and construction.

When i had top off the 5902 there were some date markings on the lid. There was years 01 up to 04 and in the 04 column there was several dots under some of the months so it appears the lid was at least made in 2004.

The 5600 would be a good model for someone in USA as it is 110v and 60hz capable (no external transformer or converters needed) and it has a NTSC analogue tuner (although not much use these days in many areas) and can play and record NTSC 3.58. You would just have to chop the plug off and fit a USA 2 pin plug or use a universal to USA pin converter.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page