Stand-alone Blu-Ray/HDD will record via set-top box analog- HD component - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I know this new Blu-Ray/HDD recorder is out of the price range of hobbyists but this new recorder is the most affordable professional Blu-Ray/HDD recorder with HD input. This $3,875 dollar JVC will record an HD-component feed (used with A/D converter) from a cable/satellite set-top box.

$3,595 JVC SR-HD2500US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD RECORDER at B+H

$280 Blackmagic Design Mini Converter HD component-Analog to HD-SDI at B+H

Total $3875

The deck won't directly accept HD-analog-component signals but will accept HD-digital-component-SDI signals so you need the Blackmagic converter box. As far as I know HD-SDI will not carry CP.

B+H announcement

Direct JVC link

I know only a fool hobbyist would pay this kind of money. I posted this just for fun.

Remember the ebay bid of something like $2800 for a Pioneer 660 the other day? Should ebay the bidder this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

I know this new Blu-Ray/HDD recorder is out of the price range of hobbyists but this new recorder is the most affordable professional Blu-Ray/HDD recorder with HD input. This $3,875 dollar JVC will record an HD-component feed (used with A/D converter) from a cable/satellite set-top box.

When it will be at Walmart's?
post #3 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Since you were just this week saying how the existing JVC SR-HD1250 was kinda crippled for its intended professional environment because it lacks HD-SDI connections, this is really interesting news: almost as if JVC heard you and responded immediately (quick, Super Eye, lets see what else you can get done for us).

If we look over the entire JVC BD/HDD lineup now being offered at B&H, a pattern emerges. They started last year with just the SR-HD1250 at $1100, which seemed to be a dedicated accessory for JVC camcorders with few other applications. Pro demand for more practical features must have been strong enough for JVC to risk additional models at much higher prices: the $2600 SR-HD1500 doubles the HDD size and adds the standard rack mount RS-232C interface. It also seems compatible with additional input formats but that isn't completely clear. The $3600 SR-HD2500 adds the HD-SDI feature. Aside from the added interfaces, all three recorders seem to be based on exactly the same chassis, so quite a price spread there. I notice there's now also a less expensive Tascam version of the SR-HD1500, which gets terrible user reviews compared to the JVC. It might be interesting to compare instruction manuals and see if they operate identically: the bad reviews for the Tascam seem written from a consumer POV and mostly complain it lacks consumer features (timer, chase play).

Back at the beginning of BD-R, Sony decided it was not interested in pursuing standalone recorders outside of Japan, and cut some sort of deal for Panasonic to be the face of BluRay recorders. In the worldwide consumer market Panasonic remains the last brand standing, so its interesting they had partner JVC enter this semipro niche instead of themselves. For JVC to have even bothered adding two more higher-priced models, there must be an uptick in professional demand- whether this will eventually lead to lower prices for the HD-SDI model remains to be seen. B&H sells an external HD-SDI interface for the two cheaper JVCs, but it costs more than the recorders (those complaining of sticker shock on the HDfury and Altoona converters should check the price of an HD-SDI box: yikes).
post #4 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I am a fanatic, and that's too expensive even for ME! It's a start though...

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Some pictures:

SR-HD2500US BLU-RAY DISC & HDD:

Front:

Back:

I'm waiting for the "SR-HD5000" maybe it will have with some HDMI inputs
post #6 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
It's expensive, no doubt, but I wonder how the price stacks up to the first commercial VCRs if you adjust for inflation.

I know it's way more than the first DVD recorders ever were.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #7 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

It's expensive, no doubt, but I wonder how the price stacks up to the first commercial VCRs if you adjust for inflation.

I know it's way more than the first DVD recorders ever were.

Maybe someone at JVC finally read wajo's thread:

Dear Walmart: We Need a HDD/BRD/DVD Recorder in North America

Anyway, here's the sales info card:

http://www.proav.co.uk/Uploads/pdf/S...rmation_UK.pdf
post #8 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Since you were just this week saying how the existing JVC SR-HD1250 was kinda crippled for its intended professional environment because it lacks HD-SDI connections, this is really interesting news: almost as if JVC heard you and responded immediately

As the rest of your post implies, perhaps the HD1250 is not crippled at all, but just the lower end model of the line at the lower price point. The more advanced features and inputs are available on the higher end professional models at substantially higher price points.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Maybe someone at JVC finally read wajo's thread:

Dear Walmart: We Need a HDD/BRD/DVD Recorder in North America

Hardly.
These are all professional models, not for consumer recording of TV programs. Everything about the marketing literature screams -- for professional videographers and broadcast studios, not the walmart crowd.

Everyday people who want to record in HD and burn to BD-R are just going to have to get used to using a PC -- and spending more money.

And forget about HDMI inputs for recorders. Yes you can put them in but licensing restrictions will dictate their compliance with HDCP -- that means you probably won't be able to record anything through them other than playing your X-Box games.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page