DMREX87 DVD-RAM drive replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

The DVD-RAM drive on my Panasonic DMREX87 has stopped working - it makes a grinding noise when attempting to read a disc before giving the "No Read" error, and seems to think a disc is in the drive when there isn't one.

If I take the DMREX87 to a service centre to get the drive and associated PCB replaced, will I lose the HDD contents? In other words, will the unit have to be re-initialized?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-18-2012, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDangerous View Post

Hi,

The DVD-RAM drive on my Panasonic DMREX87 has stopped working - it makes a grinding noise when attempting to read a disc before giving the "No Read" error, and seems to think a disc is in the drive when there isn't one.

If I take the DMREX87 to a service centre to get the drive and associated PCB replaced, will I lose the HDD contents? In other words, will the unit have to be re-initialized?

Steve

Welcome to the forum.

Grinding? DVD Drives seldom need replacement.

I suggest that you service the DVD Drive. Detailed advice is found in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice, but I am not really in a position to service the drive myself.

Does anyone have the answer to my original question?

Steve
post #4 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
send me a PM .

MickinCT
post #5 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

If I take the DMREX87 to a service centre to get the drive and associated PCB replaced, will I lose the HDD contents? In other words, will the unit have to be re-initialized?Steve

Absolutely yes.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Not if just replacing the RAM drive, of course if replacing the HDD everything would be lost.
I'd guess the OP is in Europe(or overseas somewhere) where shipping to Mickinct(in CT) may be cost prohibitive....
post #7 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Hi all,

Yes, I am in the UK.

I have taken the recorder to my local service centre and they have promised to call me before reinitializing the HD if it comes to that. I'll tell them not to go ahead if that is the case.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve
post #8 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Hi all,

Yes, I am in the UK.

I have taken the recorder to my local service centre and they have promised to call me before reinitializing the HD if it comes to that. I'll tell them not to go ahead if that is the case.

Thanks for all your help.

Steve

DVD Drives seldom need replacement.

Did you ask them to clean the DVD Drive's rubber hub/spindle, lens and guide wheel before they determine if you need a DVD Drive replacement?

Here is some text from one of my July 2009 posts:

"Service manuals have extensive technical material but this almost always points to use of Panasonic supplied replacement units/assemblies rather than replacement of individual parts. (When a front panel mini-switch fails the Panasonic remedy is to replace the front panel circuit board rather than the mini-switch itself. One may find that a repair shop may not replace a bad power supply capacitor but may instead replace the entire power supply circuit board or chassis motherboard that may be obtained only through Panasonic Parts. While a generic replacement capacitor may cost but $2 and involve an hour of labor, the shop may suggest replacing the entire board, perhaps a $300 part, adding shipping costs, adding two hours of diagnostic labor and service manual study, adding one hour of labor to remove the old circuit board and install the new circuit board.)"

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #9 of 9 Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM

Liked: 14
search on ebay UK for this number - DMR-EX87

There is at least one Panasonic authorised service center on ebay UK advertising refurbs of that model, parts for that model and advertising servicing/repairs for that model. I also think from memory there was another seller just selling parts for that model too.

Just find the seller selling replacement lasers or refurbs of the DMREX87 and then go from there.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page