Setting Up Panasonic’s EH69 for Nearly Manual Use - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-19-2012, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I've bitten the proverbial bullet The new EH69 is here, and I'll have to set it up in the next couple of days, and, while I'm not resistant to the process, I'm not looking forward to finding and plowing through the relevant parts of the manual.
First, here's the context. I have an EH55, which is input from my cable STB/DVR by the two red and white composite audios and the S-video video. I then output the EH55 to my Panny plasma display. I collect older films in SD as my EH55's principal use and use the STB DVR as my principal signal source by simply pre-setting the EH55's timer recording to 5 minutes before and 10 minutes after a scheduled broadcast and set the STB channel to that on which the program (film) will be playing. I nearly always choose an analog channel (say, TCM) for these recordings, rather than a HD channel which I can simply watch through an HD recording on the STB/DVR. Of course, I have no need of any built-in tuner in my EH55.
I also have, as a backup, an EH75V. I purchased it used and, even (or especially) working with Panny tech support, can seem to have my cake, etc, i.e. timer recording and a clock that can be set, so I've settled for timer recording and have to do a bit of special timing of the timer recording to adjust the recording start and stop to the now 1 hour, 20 minute difference between the unsettable clock (it's grayed out), and the estimated upcoming program time. The EH75 is input by coax and composite cables from a second STB which is not equipped with an S-video output, but, which, I understand from the cable company, can be replaced at no charge by a more modern STB by the cable company. Sine the EH75 is simply the backup for the EH55, this is a so far satisfactory solution.
Since I expect to set up the EH69 as a second backup and, eventually, to replace the EH55 when it no longer is functional, I'd like to simply set up the EH69 to provide for timer recording and to make available a clock that I can set from time to time (I have no need of automatic clock setting. Will I have to go through some complex and onerous job of somehow using a coax into EH69, pretending that I'm tuning channels that may not even be relevant to the US, somehow bypassing a tuner and a program guide that don't work here in US in any event, or is there a way to bypass all those exercises (for which I can't ask Panny tech support for help) and just set up the EH69 to work directly to timer record from the STB tuned to the channel I will have manually preset and allow me to change the clock a couple of times a year and more often if necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 12:35 AM

Liked: 14
The coax/RF input will not work feeding it RF from another US device. There is a way you could probab ly do it bit it will involve NTSC to PAL converters and modulators etc and the quality would not be that great

My advice is to ignore the RF input onthe EH69 as its only a analogue PAL tuner and is esentially useless, even here in Australia.

Input what you want to record to the EH69 via the front AV input or rear AV input.

If your STB/cable box or whatever (your source) only has one set of composite/s-vid onputs and you would like two eg one set to feed the EH69 and one set to feed another recorder or go straight to your TV, then you will need a splitter or distribution amp if you want to use both at once or use a AV selector if you only need to use one set of outputs at the one time but dont want to be switching cables over all the time.

You can make a timer recording on EH69 from the AV inputs BUT the EH69 can not make channel changes. It will only record what it is fed from the STB.

So really, you can only record the channel which the STB is currently set too. You have to manually use the IR remote to change the channel on the STB to record another channel onto the EH69.

The user manual explains how to make a timer recording from AV1 or AV2 inputs on the EH69
post #3 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
What Cyclone82 said, in the US you won't be using or even be able to plug into the RF connectors because they use different ends than we use in N. America. As for scheduling, it's a snap compared to the manual TVGOS found on the EH-55/75v. Just push the SCHEDULE button, set your start and stop times(note use military or 24hr time) and chose your line input for your source.
I don't like another clock to look at(24hr at that) so I enable the power save mode which blanks out the display when off, wish my other Panasonics had that feature.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 07:50 AM

Liked: 14
A 24 hour clock here is a bit strange too, but i never find it hard, confusing or an issue to get my head around.

Yes that is correct about the RF connection being different. They are what are known as our PAL standard connectors. We also have an F-type connector which is screw on/threaded and more sort of 'professional' I have not seen any current video gear with these on back but these connections are more the common sort you would use for your coax wiring in your roof space for joining cables to splitters and distribution amps or maybe from the wall outlet. Also its common to fit PAL adaptors into the F-type threaded connectors when making inside fly leads from your wall plate to video gear.

I did look in the EH69 manual but could not really see it mentioned that you can set a timer recording from an AV input but i knew you could.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I did look in the EH69 manual but could not really see it mentioned that you can set a timer recording from an AV input but i knew you could.

It's not totally obvious how to do it but the easiest way is to select the input before you push the SCHEDULE button. It defaults to whatever input(or channel was last used). Once in SCHEDULE I "think" input select may toggle you into the line inputs or if not CH UP or CH DOWN to go above or below your highest/lowest channel. In Jims case I'd think he would leave his EH-69 always on whatever line input he'll be using in which case thats what will be his default when pushing SCHEDULE.
In the US we rarely use 24hr time accept in the military(hence why we call it military time) or sometimes work time clocks or time cards are in 24hr format. Canada seems to use 24hr time more than we do. Of course most digital clocks have the option but my easiest way for me to figure it out is to either add or subtract two hours(really it's 12 but 2 is easier). For example 14:00 subtract 2 =12, 18:00-2=6pm. For the other way around, 4pm+2=16:00, 7pm+2=19:00. Of course a little chart next to the EH-69 would also work well.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-20-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

I’d like to simply set up the EH69 to provide for timer recording and to make available a clock that I can set from time to time (I have no need of “automatic” clock setting.

(Again) you should have no trouble doing that at all. As long as your model doesn't have TVGOS (which it doesn't), and you're hooked up through a line input, you should be able to manually set and re-set the clock by going directly to the time-setting feature through the setup menu. The option should not be greyed out.

If they will give you a "regular" cable box for free, to replace that DTA, then get it now. As I understand it, you usually don't have access to all the channels you do with a regular box using the DTA, anyway (within the same package, I mean - they usually short-change you a few).

Also, if you're lucky, the cable box they give you might have a "reminder" feature, which is sort of a crude, channel-changing feature.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page